Saints 2-2 Brighton - Reaction

Lighthouse

Two vastly contrasting halves of football from Saints.

It was blindingly obvious for all to see we lost our grip in the first few moments of the 2nd half.

And we resort to type...sink deeper and deeper,panic at every turn.

This has been standard for us for such a long time now.

Nothing has really changed both in the players or in managers.

We don’t grow in stature after scoring...we adopt looking like shrinking violets.

Long hard struggle again this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why was JWP marking the centre-half at all their set-pieces?

Really poor substitutions by Hughes. Invited pressure, and put dwarves on the pitch.

Cedric was very poor.

Nail on head.

I’m not sure on the high differential, but it was pretty much the equivalent of me being marked by my 2 year old niece.

He’s not just much taller, he’s their best header of a ball and has already scored.

Suicidal defending.

We’ve got no leaders in defence, McCarthy included.

Should have pushed on for 3 or 4 yet concede a classic Saints unmarked header goal. Never a pen but we asked for it by be8 g such a jittery shambles at the back. Gutted
Agree about the marking for the header but the problem was we were pushing on instead of controlling the midfield.

We kept trying the glory pass to get a third and giving the ball away instead of keeping it simple and frustrating them.

The defence was looking jittery, because there was no protection.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Agreed. One or two posters on here seem to have a strange vendetta against Hoedt. He wasn't to blame for tonight's result.

On here once certain posters make up their mind about a player they cannot bring themselves to alter that view

even when the actual visual proof proves otherwise

I can never understand why that is

Bertrand is amazingly un-captain like. We need leaders

Yeah this. Bertrand is far too casual and quiet to be captain and I have never been happy with him in the role. I thought Hughes would give it to Yoshi after the WC, but despite playing really well for Japan there he can't even get in the team. Of the regular starters right now, I would give it to Vestergard.

I think there will be... just.

Next season will be the one where we drop

Could be right. Villa went down over the course of about 4 poor seasons and now they are suffering big time. We are probably on "poor season 3" at the moment, so we need to turn the season form around pretty quickly otherwise it's back to the obscurity of the Championship.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Caught the last 30 minutes - from just when we won and scored the penalty. Said to myself...here we go...how do we find a way to screw this up from here? Soooooooooooo predictable it was just unbelievable. Concede a terrible goal from the free kick within 2 mins, make two terrible substitutions, then just waiting for the pathetic attempts to protect a one goal lead before conceding an equaliser with 2 minutes to go.

Yup. On cue.

Thought McCarthy was culpable on both their goals actually...first he should come for and punched from a high free kick...second goal he should have come for the first corner...instead he looks like a hero for an amazing reaction save but in doing so concedes another corner from which they score (JWP idiotic shove...of course it's a penalty). It's not all about spectacular saves - it's preventative goalkeeping - stopping it ever being a threat.

Commentator here even called it at 2-1..."attack is best form of defence knowing how many bad endings Southampton have had at St Mary's".

If we can't see games like that out from 2-0 up at home to bottom half teams we are in deep doodoo again.

Atrocious game management. Hughes takes off a striker rather than Hoj who was blowing out of his arse. Couldn’t tell his players to keep possession. Didn’t change things up in the middle. Didn’t react to their extra zip in second half. Pathetic. Find it really hard to watch this team

Hoj was great, right up to the end. MOTM easily.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

On way home from the game

Crap.

Fire crackers, clackers. Crap workman like football

Hoj and Redmond good for us

Ings a passenger I thought for almost the whole time on.

A Worldy and a penalty for us is not going to happen every week. Not tested their keeper enough.

Good spirit from Hoj. ‘It’s not good enough...I want to win ‘ Says may still be nerves from last season

Hojbjerg is more of a captain and leader than Bertrand will ever be. A serious failing on behalf of the manager to make this timid bottler the club captain.

For Duffy to be marked by Long and then JWP at set pieces shows it was the actual plan by the coaching staff. If someone could ask Hughes why he believed their biggest set piece threat should be marked by Saints' smallest players, that would be great. The blubbering fool has no idea how to manage the 90 minutes of a football game.

He just needs to look at Klopp for an example - one of the best teams in Europe, and when they are under some pressure late on they bring on a 3rd CB quite regularly.

But Hughes? When under pressure, he replaces his front 3 with another striker, a guy trying to play 10 and a wide man.

The right subs were either not selected in the match day squad, or haven't been given a minute of league action. Romeu should have been on for Mo, Yoshida for Ings ... Gabbiadini for Long was OK.

MH saying we need to manage the game. All very well but we evidently can't manage games once we get into wining positions. Instead of trying to 'manage games', why not just continue to play the way that got you into the winning position in the first place. Or is that rocket science.

MH saying we need to manage the game. All very well but we evidently can't manage games once we get into wining positions. Instead of trying to 'manage games', why not just continue to play the way that got you into the winning position in the first place. Or is that rocket science.

Also, he’s the one who is supposed to be managing it!

On way home from the game

Crap.

Fire crackers, clackers. Crap workman like football

Hoj and Redmond good for us

Ings a passenger I thought for almost the whole time on.

A Worldy and a penalty for us is not going to happen every week. Not tested their keeper enough.

Lots of people saying Redmond was very good, and he caused them problems I grant you, but yet again he comes away with no goals, no shots on target and no assists.

He looks more lively this season since Hughes has let him off the leash that MoPe had him on, but he's still just a fancy Dan with no end product.

Hopefully there will be 3 worse teams by May

We've proven we can at least play well. We have the talent and plenty of Premier League experience, even if a lot of it is mediocre. I'd certainly rather be us than Burnley, Newcastle, Udders or Cardiff. West Ham, Brighton and Fulham are hardly impressive either.

Today was a small improvement on Leicester, which was a small improvement on Burnley (performance wise). I think we will be okay. We have at least settled on a starting 11, something Puel and MoPe never did.

As much as Long frustrates, i cant blame him for Duffys goal. The ball is crossed from 30+yards and Duffy heads it on the six yard line. McCarthy needs to command his area better and collect it or punch it away. Basic mistakes.
Yep, Alex doesn't even need to get great contact on it, just enough to change its flight, awful decision not to go for it.

Lots of people saying Redmond was very good, and he caused them problems I grant you, but yet again he comes away with no goals, no shots on target and no assists.

He looks more lively this season since Hughes has let him off the leash that MoPe had him on, but he's still just a fancy Dan with no end product.

He's not even that ****ing fancy either.

Redmond was ok and has been better this season, but he really does need to work on his final ball whether it's a cross or a shot, both are generally pretty poor. It's no good constantly getting into good positions if the end product is always crap.

They need leadership on the field. Someone with balls to get them going and communicate. Not someone who just ponces around dreaming of when he can play for a big club (Bertrand). His lack of fight and spirit seems to permeate the team and they appear rudderless. Give the armband to Hoj or Vestergard. And let’s at least get some spirit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redmond was ok and has been better this season, but he really does need to work on his final ball whether it's a cross or a shot, both are generally pretty poor. It's no good constantly getting into good positions if the end product is always crap.

At 2v1 he went through and we had 2 unmarked players on the edge of box, he ignored them and went for a worldie, no football brain or end product

As much as Long frustrates, i cant blame him for Duffys goal. The ball is crossed from 30+yards and Duffy heads it on the six yard line. McCarthy needs to command his area better and collect it or punch it away. Basic mistakes.

Just seen the replay, he was a good yard outside the box when he headed it. That's not a 'keepers ball IMO.

Give credit to Brighton, it was an excellent delivery but Long gave them a free header.

I can't believe there are people arguing against the foul. Get your rose tinted glasses off.

It was a stupid decision by JWP. Both penalties were stonewallers.

Rubbish. We see that week in week out every game, hardly ever given. If they were there would be six or seven penalties every game. Get a grip. It was a soft penalty. Very soft.

I thought his final ball was decent in the first half to be fair. Great ball in for Elyonoussi header which should have been buried. Not so good in second half, but generally I think he's heading in the right direction so you've got to think the end product will come if he continues in this form.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Rubbish. We see that week in week out every game, hardly ever given. If they were there would be six or seven penalties every game. Get a grip. It was a soft penalty. Very soft.

No we don't....

I think you might be referring to jostling for position or blocking players off. We don't see someone pushing a player with two hands and then elbow barging them over. That is a foul however you want to look at it and as mentioned if it was the other way around we wouldn't be happy if it was not given for us. As far as I can tell nobody has complained about it. MH didn't, the commentators didn't, the pundits didn't and most of all the Saints players didn't. The only one who objected was Cedric. Everyone else just walked out of the box.

It was a foul and thus a penalty.

Problem is he gave the ref the chance to give it. If Long & JWP mark their guys properly' date=' we're not feeling like this...[/quote']

Exactly, from 2-0 up against a team that poor we should have been nowhere near that situation. The fact that we're desperately pushing players over to stop them scoring a corner, then claiming it was 'soft' shows how p*ss poor our mentality is as a team. We should have been 3-0 up, playing tidy little triangles around one of their corner flags in injury time.

Brighton were abysmal in the 1st half and we should have put them away. They could only improve and frankly bossed the 2nd half. Hughes culpable for subs - that was turning into a frantic Championship game and you needed people to get stuck in. Gabbi upfront by himself with JWP, Davis and Redmond supporting 3 let Brighton’s back line push up and win everything. We needed Rom, Yoshi and Gallagher on to battle our way back. Positives is that we do look like a much better side than last season for the odd half - but have a very weak mentality. Who would you want ‘in the trenches’ from that lot ?

A really good first half, good intent, midfield domination, good passing and movement, first to the ball and winning the 50/50 balls. Hojbjerg, Redmond and Lemina excellent, defence steady, McCarthy virtually a spectator. A bit of a mystery why Ings didn't get more service to him though and Long was Long, getting into good positions and then slipping on his arse or unable to control the ball with too heavy or misdirected kicks.

The second half was poor by comparison, letting Brighton onto us, not closing down early enough, not winning the midfield, sitting back deep inviting them on to us. Tactically it was not good, nor were the substitutions when they had a head of steam having pulled a goal back from some inept defending gifting them a free header. Gabbiadini for Long, fair enough, but bringing on two midgets into the midfield in J-WP and Davis was plainly going to invite them onto us even more, or to pump high balls into the box. Why wasn't Romeu on the bench? Didn't we also sign quite a useful midfielder from Celtic? Armstrong, wasn't it? Whatever happened to him? Injured presumably, or surely he might have been handy in the last half hour too.

If you're going to sit back, then why not enforce the back line with another CB, like Yoshida? He also has pace too. Or why not go left field and put on Gallagher as a threat up top, but also some height and muscle defending set pieces at the back? Or Austin?

Or why when there was space opening all over the pitch as they pressed forward didn't we just keep possession passing it around to frustrate them and run the clock down, instead of hoofing up field only to give away possession and put us under the cosh again? When will we ever learn? The exciting football we played under Pochettino and Koeman seems a distant memory.

No we don't....

I think you might be referring to jostling for position or blocking players off. We don't see someone pushing a player with two hands and then elbow barging them over. That is a foul however you want to look at it and as mentioned if it was the other way around we wouldn't be happy if it was not given for us. As far as I can tell nobody has complained about it. MH didn't, the commentators didn't, the pundits didn't and most of all the Saints players didn't. The only one who objected was Cedric. Everyone else just walked out of the box.

It was a foul and thus a penalty.

I disagree, if you look at any corner in slow motion you will see similar. It was very harsh.

You could tell the ref was itching to give it, he was one of those ****s who looked desperate to even things up once we started wasting time.

Just got back.

Poor 2nd half and poor substitutions. Ings was stretching and holding his leg all of the 2nd half yet he takes Long off. Long was ideal for stretching the game at that point and running up top. Hughes is under pressure in my opinion.

The atmosphere at St Mary’s is woeful. It’s toxic. We don’t sing, cheer the team or encourage. When it went 2-1, the stadium should have been on its feet, singing our hearts out encouraging the players. Instead everyone was moaning and groaning and it doesn’t help. Granted we don’t have much to cheer about but it helped back in Benali and Le Tissiers day.

Obviously disappointing, but I think those already calling for Hughes should be careful what they wish for.

Attacking and movement improved on last season, but set piece defending is critically poor, we must be the worst at it in the league.

I don't think Gabbi and Prowse was an incorrect move, despite Prowse bottling it in defence at the end. However I would have preferred to see Yoshi on instead of Davis, just to better prepare us for set peices and high balls in the closing stages.

Feel that this season depends on whether or not Hughes can fix our set piece defending. Currently think we could finish anywhere in the 10th-18th range, there is a long way to go.

That **** of a ref was looking to even it up from the moment he gave us a penalty.

McCarthy's booking for moving the ball (quickly!) after the Brighton player had placed it where he wanted it showed the ref's head had completely gone.

Edited by Jimmy_D