Rating after the first 5 games

Dusic

3/10.

Abject failure to beat three of the weaker teams at home.

Soft start to the season and failed to get points on the board.

Any optimism from the summer completely gone.

There is something pretty rotten at the heart of this team. Starting to feel that relegation might be just what we deserve.

4/10. Hughes has given us more attacking purpose but going 5-3-2 all pre season & then playing 4-4-2 is odd (but an improvement). If we'd done this in pre season, we'd have signed another winger, not Armstrong. Winning & making SMS a fortress must be a priority not allowing it to be a 'help yourself to the points' venue.

Looking forward to the relegation now. Get rid of the shyt and rebuild. Hopefully gao will sell the club to someone who actually wants to take us forward.
Why do you think that somebody who has only just bought the club would be in any hurry to sell it?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Well that's the easy games out of the way: possibly the easiest set of opening fixtures we've ever had in the Premier League. We'll only really be able to rate the team after we've played one of the better teams. We've still got all 12 fixtures to come against the big six. Early evidence againts weak opposition suggests that our central defenders will be far too slow slow to cope against the fast-paced strikers the top teams have.

All talk and no action. We've failed to capitalise on a really easy set of opening games. I would imagine that confidence is pretty frail right now and I can only see it getting worse as we start to take on the bigger teams. I think we are pretty much fair game at St Mary's for any team who shows a bit of belief. Long hard season ahead, not sure I really want to take in a lot of games this year.

2 / 10.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

6/10

Clear changes being seen in the way we play. Movement and attacking has improved, set piece defending is critically poor though and I feel everything depends on if Hughes can fix it. I feel like we are in a better place than we were under Pellegrino, but there is still a lot of work to do.

NO NO NO

This is not the place for rational thinking and intelligent footballing comments such as yours.

Well that's the easy games out of the way: possibly the easiest set of opening fixtures we've ever had in the Premier League. We'll only really be able to rate the team after we've played one of the better teams. We've still got all 12 fixtures to come against the big six. Early evidence againts weak opposition suggests that our central defenders will be far too slow slow to cope against the fast-paced strikers the top teams have.

Apart from last season?

I’ll say 4/10. We are still cr@p but less cr@p than last year and at least our matches aren’t all painfully boring. However we’ve had an easy start and don’t have the points to show for it. Think we’ll survive but will be surprised if we are safe with any more than 2 games left go play.

A concerning 4/10. The alarm bells were ringing once the pre-season three centre backs option was jettisoned during the first league match. It’s still early days but: The new signings, bar Ings, don’t look brilliant and the Armstrong disappearing act is a strange one; The CB pairing looks shaky. Vestergaard looks like he’s running through treacle & Wes has been a massive disappointment; Cedric still looks disinterested & there’s no real alternative right back in the squad. Hughes deserved a chance to take us forward but he’s worrying me already. That said, he can get only work with what he’s got and when you take a step back and look at our starting eleven it looks very average for the Premier League. We’re not as bad as the shambles under MP but it’s not great.

3/10, we look utterly disjointed as a team and collapse far too easily, the midfield still doesn't cover the defence properly and we lack leaders in the side (our spine is horrendous), aside from Ings we look unlikely to score from our strikers and i dread to think what happens when he gets injured.

I predict we'll be bottom of the league for a spell in the next couple of months or so which'll hit the already weak confidence in the side.

3/10.

Our squad is a mess, we badly lacked creativity last season so what did we do in the summer - flog our most creative player. And considering we have also loaned out Boufal, bringing in Mo and Armstrong appears to be step backward in terms of creative options. The Armstrong signing was a weird one, a creative midfielder who didn't exactly set the Scottish league alight is hardly likely to be a success in the Premier League. Mo looks like he's going to be decent but will take a while to get used to the pace of the Prem.

The creative midfield/attacking options needed major overhaul and it just didn't happen. Redmond has been good and Ings looks like a decent signing but aside from them there is a whole bunch of deadwood stealing a living.

2.5 out of 10

Not to acquire splinters in my bum from on top of the fence, I am normally a glass half full kind of chap. But games like Monday night when we looked a proper cohesive football team first half, then second a bunch of blokes who had been knocked over the head walking out of a p*rtsm*uth Inn, waking up with the Kings shilling in their hand miles from land on the deck HMS Southampton FC, my glass is beginning to look half empty.

I just cant believe the fragility of the players - I've watched Saints for years, seen the highs seen even more lows and rolled with them, but this is becoming a chore!

I'm not going to be as critical as others, as I don't think we've played that badly in the 5 games we’ve played (yeah, it’s only been 5 games….). I think we look more threatening and have more of a punch at the other end of the pitch, so obviously that is an improvement on last year. The big issues are the lack of leaders in the side and two crucial positions in the team which have substandard players. In my opinion if we had someone out there grabbing everyone together and leading/organising on the pitch, we'd have taken 6 points from the Leicester and Brighton games.

The way we wilt when things go bad is a worry, we don’t seem to have anyone willing to grab the group by the scruff of the neck in the latter stages of games to see us through. You wouldn’t say Bournemouth or Cardiff – or even Brighton – have stacks more quality than us, they just have more leaders in their groups and they keep going, no matter what happens in the game.

So……5.5/10 for me.

Biggest mystery to me is the absence of Yoshida when the back line is under performing. Apart from that puzzle, the team looks more settled and more organised than last year, the goalkeeper is a big plus on this time last year, Ings is pleasant surprise so far, the attacking moves are faster. I see signs of hope that it will be much better than last year. We've been freakishly unlucky with the two late goals costing us points after much improved displays. Nil desperandum

Biggest mystery to me is the absence of Yoshida when the back line is under performing. Apart from that puzzle, the team looks more settled and more organised than last year, the goalkeeper is a big plus on this time last year, Ings is pleasant surprise so far, the attacking moves are faster. I see signs of hope that it will be much better than last year. We've been freakishly unlucky with the two late goals costing us points after much improved displays. Nil desperandum
Ita fairly possible that when he was Stoke Manager Hughes thought Yoshida was always a weak link for Saints and he may have instructed his teams to target him.

I think, and given Hughes summer comments, he just wants a more physical pairing.

Positives: hoj is playing his best football in a saints shirt, Redmond looks a lot better this year, ings seems to know how to play upfront and knows where the goal is, westergaard looks like a decent player and McCarthy looks good.

Negatives: long continues to make a living as a professional headless chicken, Cedric looks poor, we lack any character when the going gets tough, tactical changes are mind boggling, we have 2 incredibly slow centre backs and consequently are vulnerable to pace, we've not won games we should win. Most importantly Hughes doesn't seem to know how to make it better.

3/10

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk