The Mark Hughes Effect...

Unbelievable Jeff

Gotta disagree. Brighton simply stepped up 10 yards to stop us playing out from the back. Both teams were lethargic but we wanted it a bit more in the first half, them the second. Without Ing's pen we lose that game.

There was nothing lethargic about saints in the first half we where all over them attacking in numbers as usual it was the final bit of quality that was lacking in red and white to make our dominance count. Second half it's a fair point.

Kept us up, got us playing much better attacking football and the season is 5 games old. Let's start a thread like this if we are in the bottom 6 after 12 games. Otherwise you risk looking like a knee jerk muppet with an agenda.

Which is precisely how he's coming across, absolutely flooding this board lately with anti Hughes stuff. I'm no massive Hughes fan but this is embarassing

Kept us up, got us playing much better attacking football and the season is 5 games old. Let's start a thread like this if we are in the bottom 6 after 12 games. Otherwise you risk looking like a knee jerk muppet with an agenda.

The issue is the the very poor teams we have played that we have not picked up enough points from.

Our next games are Liverpool away, Wolves away, and Chelsea at home, so considering how those teams have started we are unlikely to get any points.

And we then play Bournemouth away, who again have started very well.

Suddenly we could have played 9 games and still have only 5 points, with the home game against Newcastle at the end of October looking like a must win for a team that may have just lost 4 on the bounce. (5 if Everton beat us in the league cup which they probably will)

Looking at this differently do you honestly think we won't be bottom 6 after 12 games?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

I've given him 14 games, and a full pre-season. 6 months. I don't think it's going to work, so why not express those feelings?

You're setting a high bar there. Looks almost certain we will be somewhere between 12th and 17th after 12 games. Would be giving the Hughes' hating OP a free kick and more ammunition to ignore the elephant in the room - the side isn't that great!

I see Paul Cook's win percentage at Wigan is now up to nearly 60%.Thank God he left Pompey after getting them promoted as at the rate he's going he'd have got them into the Champions' League. Couldn't we get him as our manager as well as some of his best players, like Nick Powell?
This. If we team him up with world class mega-coaches like Jason Dodd and Paul Williams then UEFA might as well hand us the European Cup now.

I see Paul Cook's win percentage at Wigan is now up to nearly 60%.Thank God he left Pompey after getting them promoted as at the rate he's going he'd have got them into the Champions' League. Couldn't we get him as our manager as well as some of his best players, like Nick Powell?

Fish and chip dinner's too

You're setting a high bar there. Looks almost certain we will be somewhere between 12th and 17th after 12 games. Would be giving the Hughes' hating OP a free kick and more ammunition to ignore the elephant in the room - the side isn't that great!
I don't think the side is the problem. Compare us with individual sides outside the top 6 how many of each side would get into ours?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I don't think the side is the problem. Compare us with individual sides outside the top 6 how many of each side would get into ours?

3-4 years ago i'd have agreed with you. Now I think there are a whole host of players who would walk into our team.

Most of Watford's team is better than our's. Fulham's front 3 look more dangerous and Seri is at least as good as anything we have in midfield, Bournemouth's forward line + Frazer (even their terrible CBs look better than ours do), Brighton's defence, Newcastle's CBs and Shelvey, most of Leicester's squad, Palace have Zaha, a solid defence and good central midfielders, Wolves look strong throughout, Burnley's goalkeepers and CBs along with Cork in midfield are better than we have. Most of Everton's team is probably better than our's as well.

We miss a player to change games, a leader in the midfield and guts throughout.

3-4 years ago i'd have agreed with you. Now I think there are a whole host of players who would walk into our team.

Most of Watford's team is better than our's. Fulham's front 3 look more dangerous and Seri is at least as good as anything we have in midfield, Bournemouth's forward line + Frazer (even their terrible CBs look better than ours do), Brighton's defence, Newcastle's CBs and Shelvey, most of Leicester's squad, Palace have Zaha, a solid defence and good central midfielders, Wolves look strong throughout, Burnley's goalkeepers and CBs along with Cork in midfield are better than we have. Most of Everton's team is probably better than our's as well.

We miss a player to change games, a leader in the midfield and guts throughout.

I'd argue that if you compare one team against the other you would pick half of our players and half of the other team in a lot of cases. I think the problem is one of leadership both on and off the field. With a couple of leaders in our side and a better manager we would be a very different side

There was nothing lethargic about saints in the first half we where all over them attacking in numbers as usual it was the final bit of quality that was lacking in red and white to make our dominance count. Second half it's a fair point.

We weren't all over them at all. Can only assume people saying that got caught up in the live hype. We were better, I agree. We were not all over them and it took one wonder strike to come close to breaking the deadlock. As always lots of running and possession and no end product.

We're boring and in effective. Horrible combination.

He really isnt

Respectfully, I disagree. He is as useless for us as he was for Stoke last season.

I can only think players like Yoshida, Sam, Stephens and many others are very unhappy.

Shane Long is not the answer to anything let alone a lone striker. 2 goals in 51 games I think the commentators said for club and country.

Hughes has no tactics or nouse for the modern game. PLayers are obviously at fault too - bunch of mentally weak c**ts.

I thought Hughes deserved a shot afyer keepinh us up.not because of a great run of results but how the players responded .saw more life in those few games than the rest of the season

.However hicpntinued picking of Hoedt and Long is baffling. The commentators said he has 2 goals in 62 games for club and country ,that is beyond abysmal. If he can't see how useless these players are then he really needs to go.id be trying Forster up front before picking Long

Don't date him, mind you we have a squad full of average players, With no spine, passion of guts the funny thing is people think we are capable of a top 8 finish... What planet are they on?

An illusive Owner

Two Clowns overseeing matters who rightfully should of been sacked but obviously have pulled wool other owners eyes. How they are both still here is criminal and is killing this club.

A manager who is a dinosaur, makes stupid substitutes, Had a whole preseason and immediately drops a ineffective play style and formation, Clearly hasn't got a clue about the best way to set this team up, Then fields weak players and continues to field ineffective players... Long, Hoedt..

Scouting System that has gone backwards.....

A Squad that is full of wet towels, no fight, no passion, no heart a bunch of bottlers.... Average players stealing a living in this league...

So yeah that sums it up, it's not just Hughes the core of Southampton FC is rotten don't be surprised if we go down... I wouldn't be writings on the wall maybe it would be the same up call the owner needs....

You were in full support of him when he was appointed - why the sudden u-turn?

Classic Camden Brett.

Yeah I get some didn’t want him and some were a bit more ‘he’ll do for now’ (count me in that camp) but seems a lot of people have turned quickly. If you were happy with him in August I don’t see how you can want him gone before end of September.

Yeah I get some didn’t want him and some were a bit more ‘he’ll do for now’ (count me in that camp) but seems a lot of people have turned quickly. If you were happy with him in August I don’t see how you can want him gone before end of September.

Out of all the games to turn after, losing 3-0 to Liverpool, at Anfield, is surely not it? That's an average result for anyone outside the top 6.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Classic Camden Brett.

I was in full support as I dread to think the mess we would have appointed with Les and co at the helm.

Hughes would easily have been the best of a very bad bunch

Does not stop me from seeing how dreadful he is.

seeing as we do everything on the cheap (despite selling everything that moves), not enough above average managers were out of work. That is the market we operate in

Edited by Batman

Experienced PL managers more often than not are experienced at failure. IMO Hughes is lacking ideas how to set up teams in current game, most of his successes at turning average teams into something better was really 10 years ago. (i.e Fulham and Blackburn)

Hardly a shock we are now a Hughes team, is it. Bottom 10 the minute he signed a deal. Can’t organise a defence, likes zonal marking, which is fine but you gotta have the players for it, we have no leader in that back four. We were so spoilt under Adkins, MoPo and Koeman, and to think people moaned that our then chairman put himself on a programme, least he sold a vision no matter how ridiculous, current one is a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently Hughes was quite pleased and on our day we can go up against the big boys and give them a game.

I saw no evidence in a free hit of a 2nd half of even trying to give Liverpool(who were in 2nd gear) a game.

Must be some exceptionally rare day such as 29th February.

Yes, he seemed to regard a 0-3 defeat as something of a victory. He was obviously expecting worse as in his last two seasons there his Stoke team were on the receiving end of some real drubbings: 0-4, 2-4, 0-5 v Chelsea, 1-4, 2-7 v Man City, 0-4, 1-5 v Spurs, 1-4 v Liverpool & 1-4 v Arsenal.

Apparently hughes was quite pleased and on our day we can go up against the big boys and give them a game.

I saw no evidence in a free hit of a 2nd half of even trying to give Liverpool(who were in 2nd gear) a game.

Must be some exceptionally rare day such as 29th February.

The players need a confidence boost and are obviously low on morale. Lambasting them won't do much to help them. It's good management IMO.

It was easy to get behind him when he came in because he wasn’t Pellegrino.

Pellegrino was so poor, so out of his depth and his departure so ridiculously delayed, many average managers would have looked decent in comparison. It was a measure of the position that the club were in at the time that bringing Hughes in was a good idea.

I’m not a big Mark Hughes supporter but based on the amazing patience lavished on Pellegrino, the club simply won’t replace Hughes anytime soon so I don’t see the point in getting on his back this early in the season. Ralph, Ross and Les (whoever it is that makes the final decisions) are too gun shy to act when it is needed. We’d have to have one foot in the abyss for them to fire Hughes.

I was firmly in the he "earned the opportunity having kept us up" camp, but what is clear to me is that Hughes doesn't have any ideas to move us forwards.

In fact, despite plenty of evidence against some of his selections he continues to pick players who are either crap or haven't got the character to up their game when things get tough. As an absolute minimum I expect a manager to react to what is going on in a game and should be capable of identifying:

- Players who aren't paying well or aren't up to it

- A lack of leadership on the pitch

- A system that isn't working

- A change in the opposition's tactics

For me none of this is happening.

A change is needed, but not until something is done about Les and Ralph.

But some managers are able to do a bit more with an average squad than simply live down to expectations with a shrug.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

We have had three different managers with this set of players (give or take the odd few) with no real effect or change I don't know who this manager is that is A) good enough to make this shower of ****e squad play well and B) If he is good enough to make our current crop contenders why he would want to come to saints.

The truth is our current predicament isn't down to just one factor but a combination of factors from the owner down. Changing just one of these factors (like the manager) will be unlikely to make a difference on its own. We need a shake up right through the club (which I can't see us getting anytime soon sadly)

Brendan Rogers off the top of my head. Not happy in Scotland. Offer him £5m per year to come down here.

TBH, I don't think we'd be any worse if we didn't have a manager full stop.

Things not going too well or to plan for Brendan in Scotland, losing today.

That said, we're not big enough for his ego, and personally not a fan of his, but stranger things have happened. Not that it will for us of course whilst we have the usual muppets in charge of recruitment.

Things not going too well or to plan for Brendan in Scotland, losing today.

That said, we're not big enough for his ego, and personally not a fan of his, but stranger things have happened. Not that it will for us of course whilst we have the usual muppets in charge of recruitment.

Brendan Rodgers is not going to get a move to any club bigger than ours. Leicester, Newcastle, WHU, Palace, us, etc etc. He knows it. If he he doesn't go Premier League then he could get a middling European job like Moyes and Chris Coleman did.

It's all about timing really, I imagine he will not leave Celtic mid-season but no way will he go into a fourth season up there.

Have thought for a long time he's perfect for us.