Underperforming players for Saints

Pilchards

Watching Tadic captaining Ajax this evening in the champions league and it got me thinking.

Why do players underperform for us?

VVD in his last season was nothing like he is for Liverpool, Mane is in the same bracket.

Lemina is going to be class when he leaves and I reckon JWP would become a England regular if he went to Spurs.

My message is our club is stale from the owners, directors and managers and I would love an overhaul.

Watching Tadic captaining Ajax this evening in the champions league and it got me thinking.

VVD in his last season was nothing like he is for Liverpool, Mane is in the same bracket.

Lemina is going to be class when he leaves and I reckon JWP would become a England regular if he went to Spurs.

My message is our club is stale from the owners, directors and managers and I would love an overhaul.

He would for us if he got to play. im 100 % sure he would have more than 1 assist to his name to if he had 540 mins of game time so far this season.

No wonder he looks royally ****ed atm

they under perform for us as we have/had shyt managers..

Our players largely didnt under perform for Poch and Koeman

uuuummm maybe its because they are playing in better teams, with better players and winning most of the time which breeds confidence...I imagine Salah, Kane or Eden Hazard would look half the player if they played in the current saints squad.

Van Dijk underperformed because he wanted to be somewhere else. Mane's performance level was fine in his last season, even considering that. Lemina seems hugely overrated to me based on every performance since the LAST time we played Palace, and Ward-Prowse is at exactly the level he should be and wouldn't be any better anywhere else - though I do think putting him back in CM with a more defensive role would improve his impact on the team.

The fact everyone worked out how to play against our system after 2 years doesn't help, and that was 2 years ago.

If you'd put Forster, Bertrand and Romeu on the list I'd say it was more accurate of current levels as all of them have been better. The others (e.g. Lemina, Hojbjerg, Redmond, Cedric, Gabbiadini) have all been better on occasion but their form has always fluctuated.

The policy of signing flawed players in the hope we can mask their deficiencies isn't working as well as it did when we also used to sign excellent players who just needed matches to increase their value.

what JWP? I might suggest there are better ways to impress a manager than giving away a needless injury time penalty..

like in his first game creating 5 scoring chances while Redmond created none but gets dropped for next game any way? yep surely a perfectly good reason to try your best when it don't matter any way.

But still, I would question why the 2nd smallest player on the pitch was told by the biggest players on are team to mark the biggest player on their team. makes perfect sense. Bad organization from are defence / bad management. JWP should never have been marking him to start with.

Could be many factors, Poor manager instruction, poor coaching setup or the players we have currently are just average? How many managers

have we had with this current spine of team? Maybe Managers are not getting the best out of these players because the players themselves

are just not up to pushing forwards.

Look at our team who inspires you? who has passion? guts? leaders? players with a bit of desire and fight? dress it up all you want lads

we have a team full of pansies. Where are the Rickie Lamberts? week in week out giving it 100%.......

I have been saying it for two seasons now this squad is rubbish. I have been laughed at, ridiculed for my views call me a negative nancy I

prefer being realistic we have a club with no clear direction. An illusive Owner who hasn't come forwards and given us a vision. We have two

donkeys who should of been fired. Our scouting setup is all wrong we are chancing going for players that have been missing in the past and have

gambled on the fact they will come good... Of our recent signings who has been prolific?

To many average players starting weekly again call me negative but I would of sold the likes of Austin, Ward Prowse, Davis, Long, Redmond

I don't rate any of them they are either to lightweight, to inconsistent, or have no end product. Why are we wasting our time holding on

to average players in a hope they will come good? get rid keep moving forwards!

That's the problem with this current crop of players they are gutless. Soon as the opposition score they bury heads in sand and give up

somebody needs to instill some fight and passion in these boys.

they under perform for us as we have/had shyt managers..

Our players largely didnt under perform for Poch and Koeman

Exactly this, Romeu was sensational under the guidance of a world class manager but he's been poor since. Gabbiadini too.

Cedric has been poor forever although under Hughes he's probably playing as well as he has done since he's been here, which is encouraging. Redmond as well.

Could be many factors, Poor manager instruction, poor coaching setup or the players we have currently are just average? How many managers

have we had with this current spine of team? Maybe Managers are not getting the best out of these players because the players themselves

Look at our team who inspires you? who has passion? guts? leaders? players with a bit of desire and fight? dress it up all you want lads

we have a team full of pansies. Where are the Rickie Lamberts? week in week out giving it 100%.......

I have been saying it for two seasons now this squad is rubbish. I have been laughed at, ridiculed for my views call me a negative nancy I

prefer being realistic we have a club with no clear direction. An illusive Owner who hasn't come forwards and given us a vision. We have two

donkeys who should of been fired. Our scouting setup is all wrong we are chancing going for players that have been missing in the past and have

gambled on the fact they will come good... Of our recent signings who has been prolific?

To many average players starting weekly again call me negative but I would of sold the likes of Austin, Ward Prowse, Davis, Long, Redmond

I don't rate any of them they are either to lightweight, to inconsistent, or have no end product. Why are we wasting our time holding on

That's the problem with this current crop of players they are gutless. Soon as the opposition score they bury heads in sand and give up

Great written piece and spot on.

Problem is you can’t sell the average ones if nobody wants them?

Forster is a fine example as nobody would touch him with a barge pole.

Not ridiculed by me.

Back in August 2009, the signing of Rickie Lambert gave us threat and a focal point. It didn’t give us on-field leadership, though. That was Dean Hammond. We were always tougher to beat with him on the pitch, shouting and organising, regardless of the situation. We simply don’t have that sort of character at the moment. Bertrand is captain by default, really. The January transfer window needs to address this, as well as the obvious need for an upgrade on Shane Long.

I think he's ****, and if we keep him we will get relegated. That's all.

Thanks for making your view clear at last. Mark Hughes may not be the best Manager on the planet - but, U. Jeff, do you really believe that someone like Pep G. would have this group of players performing much better? Do you really think someone like Pep would get more out of Long, Austin, Ward-Prowse, Stephens, Davis, Hoedt, Forster?

Thanks for making your view clear at last. Mark Hughes may not be the best Manager on the planet - but, U. Jeff, do you really believe that someone like Pep G. would have this group of players performing much better? Do you really think someone like Pep would get more out of Long, Austin, Ward-Prowse, Stephens, Davis, Hoedt, Forster?

Yes I do.

Confidence and coaching is the two things a great manager provides.

Koeman got good things from average players.

Yes I do.

Confidence and coaching is the two things a great manager provides.

Koeman got good things from average players.

You make a fair point, although I remember many calling for Koeman's head after 10 games or so without a win. Koeman had Mane, Pelle, Clyne, Tadic, Morgan, Toby, Fonte and Vic at his disposal.....bit of a difference.

Yes, 1,000,000 percent.

... the signing of Rickie Lambert gave us threat and a focal point. It didn’t give us on-field leadership, though. That was Dean Hammond.

I'm so behind you on this, so far this season we've missed a real captain and it shows.

I've seen Vestergaard try a few times, but that seems to have dropped off, and Bertrand is no captain. I bang on about Yoshi but he has a positive influence when he plays that I think we massively underestimate the value of.

I'm so behind you on this, so far this season we've missed a real captain and it shows.

I've seen Vestergaard try a few times, but that seems to have dropped off, and Bertrand is no captain. I bang on about Yoshi but he has a positive influence when he plays that I think we massively underestimate the value of.

Don't disagree with that. He's also our second best CB, no idea why Hughes can't see this (well, I do have an idea).

Weird question, I would imagine everyone probably thinks Guardiola's system and detailed coaching would probably get better results. Many of those individuals could be coached to fit into the current City team and not look out of place. Probably not Long or the defenders, and definitely not Forster as he's not a sweeper. Guardiola's system is built upon excellent players retaining possession in an excessively attacking team though. It remains a question whether that system works with less than world class players as Guardiola hasn't managed a team without world class players, but I certainly wouldn't immediately say detailed coaching in a different system wouldn't improve the team and/or results.

Weird question, I would imagine everyone probably thinks Guardiola's system and detailed coaching would probably get better results. Many of those individuals could be coached to fit into the current City team and not look out of place. Probably not Long or the defenders, and definitely not Forster as he's not a sweeper. Guardiola's system is built upon excellent players retaining possession in an excessively attacking team though. It remains a question whether that system works with less than world class players as Guardiola hasn't managed a team without world class players, but I certainly wouldn't immediately say detailed coaching in a different system wouldn't improve the team and/or results.

I know it won't happen, but I would dearly love a truly World Class manager like Pep or Jose, so say thye are so convinced in heir coaching ability, they will take on a club like Saints (with our existing budgets) and achieve success.

I know it won't happen, but I would dearly love a truly World Class manager like Pep or Jose, so say thye are so convinced in heir coaching ability, they will take on a club like Saints (with our existing budgets) and achieve success.

I find it strange that we spoke to Tuchel and then we employed the crap we did.

I find it strange that we spoke to Tuchel and then we employed the crap we did.

Because Tuchel didn't want to come to club like saints his stock was high he just needed to wait on a good offer which why he is now at PSG.

Saints aren't going to sign any good managers at the top of their game. We are a club who will either get a relative unknown, with the risks that brings. Any better known names we get will either be looking to rebuild their reputation after a bad spell or looking for a last payday.

Quite often on here people pluck names of managers out of the air and just assume they would be gagging to manage the mighty Southampton.

Edited by doddisalegend

Have to say that watching the game today (at 1080p so not a blurry postage stamp mess) what is Bertrand bringing to the game as the teams captain? Yes he has experience but he's no leader.

I'm not sure we've a natural leader in the squad at the moment, or at least in the usual starting 11 that Hughes picks?

Have to say that watching the game today (at 1080p so not a blurry postage stamp mess) what is Bertrand bringing to the game as the teams captain? Yes he has experience but he's no leader.

I'm not sure we've a natural leader in the squad at the moment, or at least in the usual starting 11 that Hughes picks?

He is one of the most influential players on the pitch, He is always one of the most creative and always works hard, we don't have any 1 that is not a starter who could be captain, only 3 other players JWP = crap + Plus he is not fast enough and cant dribble so mandatory he does not play as he cant excite every one with his running to the by line to do nothing, Steven Davis = Crap ( past it ) and Yoshida who for some reason, MH don't like yet every fan can see is probably are best central defender.

Just be grateful Bertrand is playing, he is are most creative player so far this season ( And last season lol ), might be good to move him to LM and have Targett as LB to free him up to be more offensive.