Liverpool 3-0 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Well at least we managed to keep a clean sheet for 45 minutes.

Saints can really only look to grind out the points towards safety for the rest of the season against the other also-ran teams. The EPL is now almost as boring as virtually every other top league in the world.

Will settle for that. Only 3-0 away to a side that will finish top 2 and CL finalists vs a bottom half Championship side is good going. Only Ings is good enough to play in the PL, and couldn’t play today. The saving grace is that the other sides that aren’t PL standard either such as Cardiff, Hudds and Newcastle didn’t win. It’s how we do against them that will determine if Hughes can pull off a miracle and keep that garbage up.

No surprise in the result, only that they didn't score any more in the second half.

Does sound that we caused a lot of our own undoing by p1ss poor defending, yet again.

Serious questions as to why Yoshida doesn't feature, simply can't believe he appears a worse option than Hoedt or Bednarek.

Todays positive : VVD injured, hope the c^nt is out for months.

(Oh, and Johnno Quick scored for Exeter).

Edited by Badger

We'd probably be better off with Boufal and Carillo in that team.

Yes of course we would. :mcinnes:

I think we know Boufal has the talent (one game in twenty) but application to make a contribution is questionable. Imagine him and Lemina both strolling around going through the motions.

Liverpool were on tick over, we ran about the pass % must be pretty damn shocking from us.

Our defence needs to have an experienced head in there, Vestergaard and Hoedt both look immature as defenders, Bertrand doesn’t offer any guidance as a senior player. Whatever the issue with Yoshida is its needs sorting one way or the other.

That was pretty atrocious. An exercise in how to set up with zero ambition yet roll over in the quickest time possible. That starting lineup by hughes was pretty poor even with the 3 missing players.

Liverpool were barely trying in the 2nd half & yet equally we didn't have any ambition other than to keep the score down.

No doubt he'll stumble on for a long time yet but eventually saints will hopefully get rid of the useless hughes.

Also so fed up of the useless shane long waltzing into the starting lineup.

Clearly a tough fixture but when you watch the three goals its symbolic of our decline over last year or so. Under Puel we beat them twice, failed to concede a goal in four games against them and two of them without VVD. Ore broadly if you look at when Saints area top half side its built on a strong defence. Under Strachan, it was Svensson and Claus. Under Potch it was Loren and Fonte, with Wanyama in front. Under Koeman it was Fonte and Toby, then Fonte and VVD again with Wanyama in front. And despite people’s criticisms, we were very well organised defensively under Puel.

For teams like us to be in the top half that is the key lesson to draw. We have to get back to being hard to beat and right now we are too easy. 9 goals in 5 league games, including a clean sheet, makes it very difficult to win matches. I would bring back the Yoshi and Stephens pairing that did well when VVD got injured under Puel.

Thank you Hoedt for gift-wrapping Liverpool's first goal. I have news for you; unlike former CBs who used to play for us like V-VD and Lovren, you'll never play for Liverpool even though you score goals for them before you're even their player. Quite how Yoshida can't get a game ahead of you is a mystery to me. I think Hughes got the starting formation wrong and we ought to have started with a back 3/5. Lemina also had a shocker, but Romeu and Hojbjerg, also Cedric and Redmond were OK. Without Hoedt's stupid own goal and gifting them that free kick, it could have been a more respectable 1-0 at half time. McCarthy wasn't too busy, even though Liverpool had looked dangerous on occasion.

Difficult to assess what sort of effect Hughes' changes brought about in the second half, as Liverpool were comfortably ahead and able to introduce a couple of fringe players. But our tactical changes also seemed to at least add more bite in midfield and we bossed possession for a period, without being able somehow to get the ball behind their defence. Armstrong put in a good shift and I sincerely hope that he gets more game time in the coming weeks. I wonder whether in view of our lack of striking options, whether it might have been a chance to introduce Sam Gallagher?

I suppose that it isn't worth sulking at 3-0 against the sort of form that Liverpool are currently in, especially when Ings couldn't play, and Gabbiadini is injured. We will have more of an idea where we are against Wolves, who seem a decent team, but without the fire-power that Liverpool have been able to buy.

yes we'd be much better off with two of the most expensive flops in our history in the team

Call me an optimist, but I'd rather watch a team that contained at least one or two players with the ability to create or take a chance.

As it is, we're not just mediocre, we're incredibly dull.

Still, listening to the fan base on here, this is pretty close to the team most people seem to want: a bunch of strapping cart horses they can (for the most part) identify with.

Meh, I was hoping to get away with a plucky 2 nil loss so after 20 minutes was expecting a hat full. Problem is I'm not sure we can win enough games in our league to get enough points to stay up. We need a marked improvement all over the pitch.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Well after a high point of back to back wins, 2 morale sapping results. Yes we should look outside top 6 teams for our points, but thats not happening either apart from the Palace game, which we wouldn't have won if they didn't have the only striker in the PL worse than Long. I fear a repeat of last seasons torture, and if anything , apart from Ings the players on show are generally of poorer quality than what we had. Our defense clearly isn't working which is OK if MH makes changes there, but as yet nothing. I wonder how many more stupid goals we concede before the penny drops, surely Yoshi and Bednarek have to step in ?

On the positive side :

Hoj and Redmond are playing much better

We have one good player

We're only 10 places from a CL spot

Typical Hughes game, he seems to write off a lot of big club games, or just isn't good enough to form a team that'll compete.

Yeah you'll lose a fair few of these, but just turning up and gifting them an easy win, never threatening even in the slightest is pathetic. Set up negatively to sit back, and still get stuffed. But he did that plenty of times at Stoke too.

Expecting defeat to Wolves and Chelsea to be the end of him. Just ffs find a manager who can actually get players on form and working well together.

Seriously? You think we'll sack him this side of Christmas?

Doubt it.

Typical Hughes game, he seems to write off a lot of big club games, or just isn't good enough to form a team that'll compete.

Yeah you'll lose a fair few of these, but just turning up and gifting them an easy win, never threatening even in the slightest is pathetic. Set up negatively to sit back, and still get stuffed. But he did that plenty of times at Stoke too.

Expecting defeat to Wolves and Chelsea to be the end of him. Just ffs find a manager who can actually get players on form and working well together.

Prepared to wager a lot of money that Hughes will not be sacked if we lose to Chelsea and Wolves.

BBC reporter describes us as "insipid". I am following from a distance these days but, sadly, it does seem to sum us up. No belief and no ambition. Somebody on here predicted that we would go one down early on and then it would be damage limitation. I don't think 3-0 is limited. We need a leader

From the Guardian match report:

"Virgil van Dijk was on hand to cut out the danger" "The visitors paid a heavy price for their absence of that sort of authority at the heart of their defence."

...our defence is not very good

"...Matip towered above Jannik Vestergaard to head his first Anfield goal"

...we have a tall CB who can't jump.

"Southampton did not play particularly badly"

...we are a million miles from the top six.