Wolves v Saints - Build Up

Batman

Yeah, Wolverhampton is the a-hole of the Midlands, which is quite a staggering feat really. Just think about it.

My Brummy friend concurs: "that's a little harsh to our friends from the Black country.. that said it is also true". She suggests the Great Western and Hogshead near the station for real ale, and I trust her judgement regarding beers. :-)

Just had a nose on a Wolves forum, understandably confident, and good to see Jim McCalliog will be at the game tomorrow. Big player for Wolves and memorable for us particularly for the FA Cup run/triumph in 76.

They also flagged this us from the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/28/premier-league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend we're No.5 and sums us up quite well.

Just had a nose on a Wolves forum, understandably confident, and good to see Jim McCalliog will be at the game tomorrow. Big player for Wolves and memorable for us particularly for the FA Cup run/triumph in 76.

They also flagged this us from the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/28/premier-league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend we're No.5 and sums us up quite well.

Stopped reading when they mentioned eggy fart, all a bit school playground talk.... :rolleyes:

"expect them to troop off the pitch reasonably satisfied with a 2-0 or 3-1 defeat" Pundits seem to think that we have incredibly low expectations nowadays.

Time for a bit of honesty. Wolves are riding a wave right now ( just like we did when we first came up ) and I’ll happily take a 1 or 2 nil loss.

They’re better than us.

If we win enough home games and occasionally grab a point away we might finish outside the bottom 3.

Personally I’d rather go down and rebuild and enjoy the odd win rather than endure this premier league wackfest anymore.

Anyway... 4231

Inns

Rm. me. Gabby

Rom. Hoj

Bertie. Yoshi. Best. Cedric

Gunn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think is a write off as people seem to think. We got a draw at Old Trafford last season, it's not that hard to achieve these days.

Everyone now know that Wolves are a decent team and it'll be interesting to see how they deal with the pressure. I think other teams may have underestimated them but I don't think that's a mistake we'll make, the team will know they're in for a decent battle. A point would be a good result but I really wouldn't be surprised if we got the three points, we just need to hope that the defence finally shows up.

Time for a bit of honesty. Wolves are riding a wave right now ( just like we did when we first came up ) and I’ll happily take a 1 or 2 nil loss.

They’re better than us.

If we win enough home games and occasionally grab a point away we might finish outside the bottom 3.

Personally I’d rather go down and rebuild and enjoy the odd win rather than endure this premier league wackfest anymore.

Anyway... 4231

Inns

Rm. me. Gabby

Rom. Hoj

Bertie. Yoshi. Best. Cedric

Gunn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More of this whacky “id rather go down and consolidate and come back stronger” bull Shyte. How many teams ever really come back stronger, most end up languishing in the lower leagues forever and a day.

More of this whacky “id rather go down and consolidate and come back stronger” bull Shyte. How many teams ever really come back stronger, most end up languishing in the lower leagues forever and a day.

Yeah none ever come back ever. It’s hopeless. WBA must be hating this season after being reminded of all the joy and the glory of their last PL season and that they will never get back....ever.

Must be really depressing for them that they only need to score 9 more goals to equal their total for whole of last season.

Edited by whelk

In other news, why oh why oh why oh why can't we be like Wolves and Fulham.

I didn’t say I wanted to come back up.

Starting the season praying for 36 ish points just to stay up is boring.

In an ideal world I’d rather flirt with the top 4 in the championship for a few seasons and watch some entertaining football and see some goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guardian is bang on the money, we are magnolia and it will send us down sooner rather than later if the club can't find it's mojo. Trouble is with this current owner I can't see that happening.

On a wider point I wonder if the prem wouldn't be greatly improved by a lot more relegation\promotion spots so it gets regularly refreshed with optimism from the champ. Far too many fearful prem teams who just want to cling on (us for example).

Maybe 6 relegation spots to provide lots of fresh blood each season. We'd probably get relegated but then we'd have a good chance of getting promoted again, got to be more fun than the current set up.

I think this extract from the same article sums it up and explains why MH was appointed.

Showing little or no indication so far that they’re either good or bad enough to do anything even remotely interesting this season, they look content to just hang around in the Premier League, as is their inalienable right if they can accumulate the requisite number of points.

That is Barry Glendenning who seems to want to be more a stand up comic than an insightful journalist. He actually knows very little about football and I have have been listening to him on Football Weekly for years.

Most of comments can be applied to a number of teams but as discussed ad nauseam it is very difficult for any medium size club to be continually on an upward trajectory - see Stoke, Swansea, WBA - can be said to stink the PL after being the breath of fresh air. Let’s see where the latest darlings Wolves and Fulham are in 5 years.

That is Barry Glendenning who seems to want to be more a stand up comic than an insightful journalist. He actually knows very little about football and I have have been listening to him on Football Weekly for years.

Most of comments can be applied to a number of teams but as discussed ad nauseam it is very difficult for any medium size club to be continually on an upward trajectory - see Stoke, Swansea, WBA - can be said to stink the PL after being the breath of fresh air. Let’s see where the latest darlings Wolves and Fulham are in 5 years.

You're right but, satire aside, it does reflect our current state quite accurately.

You're right but, satire aside, it does reflect our current state quite accurately.

If we perform like we did at Palace I will be happy. I didn’t give have huge optimism going into that game although obviously no Zaha helped. Similar feeling with this game but oh the joy and inconsistencies of predicting results.

Wolves will be investing and growing and improving and building and pushing on and improving and building and pushing on every season from now and for as long as we all live. I expect them to still be pushing on and building when my five year old is celebrating her golden wedding anniversary.

Wolves will be investing and growing and improving and building and pushing on and improving and building and pushing on every season from now and for as long as we all live. I expect them to still be pushing on and building when my five year old is celebrating her golden wedding anniversary.
That is any impossible scenario. I know a guy who could explain the momentum curve to you if you like.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The 'fight to stay up' can be enthralling. As long as it is a fight and not a long surrender.

True. All this 'I'd happily take a defeat in this one' or even 'accept' a defeat prior to a ball being kicked is crazy - yes, we are poor and dull at the moment, but we can still beat anyone.

The convo above re preferring to go down and watch some more entertaining matches, more goals and points etc. I can understand a little more, as the feel-good factor of L1 and Champ days were pretty awesome, but in the last 2 seasons we have reached Wembley in both Cup competitions and somehow managed to stay up last season despite being dire - that Swansea game made up for much of the garbage, in my opinion.

Went to click on the Everton build-up thread before and saw the opening comment mentioning do we even want to win, do we care? Seriously?! We nearly won a major competition 2 seasons ago and got close last season with very average squads, so this could be the season we win something. I get all the negativity around the place at the moment, and I don't think MH is going to lead us to any 'glory days', but let's get a bit of positivity back and try to make the most of what we have at the moment! Giving in prior to matches being played is a poor show.

Big game this for us today! Need 3 points to build some more momentum. 2-0 Saints Ings and Moi COYR :)

I agree. The result will be a very big indicator of what we can expect for the rest of the season. Wolves deserve the respect people are giving them, but we must be professional and try and get a result. There are players with experience in the Saints team, they need to use that to good effect today.