Wolves v Saints - Build Up

Batman

He's more effective with better players around him, i.e Pelle and Mane. When he becomes the main man, which he has unfortunatley become because we failed to replace either Pelle or Mane, then his weaknesses are shown up for all to see.

Though Long’s best spell occurred when Pelle was out of the side and he had Tadic and Mané playing off or around him.

I can see a role for Long this weekend. His pace and, ability to compete aerially and willingness to close down make him the ideal player to have on the pitch when our defence need an out ball. We can't move the ball quickly on the floor as we have few players who can carry the ball at pace, so Long has a role if we think that we will need to clear our lines and not have the ball come back immediately. Wolves will expect to have the majority of possession so wer will probably have to be patient and ht them on the break. Hopefully it will be more like Palace away than Liverpool.

If Hughes drops Hoedt, Vestergaard and Long and replaces them with Yoshida, Bednarek and Ings, we could possibly get a draw at Wolves. I don't know why posters on here keep putting Vestergaard in their best starting XI, as he is as much of a problem as Hoedt. The pair of them look like worse versions of Hooiveld.

Ah, it's waterloo - I'm going from Basingstoke - seems to take not far off 2 hours to get to Euston from Basingstoke for some reason.

Might be quicker for you to go Basingstoke to Reading then into Paddington from there? Either that or get out at Clapham and do the overground?

Ah, it's waterloo - I'm going from Basingstoke - seems to take not far off 2 hours to get to Euston from Basingstoke for some reason.

Might be quicker for you to go Basingstoke to Reading then into Paddington from there? Either that or get out at Clapham and do the overground?

Why do you want to go via London, when there is a Cross Country train direct, no changes, Basingstoke to Wolverhampton?

To remove Long. And Ings has been more successful when taking up more advanced positions than the kind of positions Armstrong will operate in.

Ings has been playing in the hole or even at his most advanced as a support striker for us though, playing off someone else, not up top himself. If he's up top he'll just have the same problems every other of our strikers has had in the past 3 years, no-one able to get the ball to them.

I always find it interesting when people don't notice really obvious things like him being more successful due to playing deeper and someone else creating space for him (not entirely independent of modern CBs being remarkably bad at defending against more than one central attacker due to lack of need to most of the time).

If Hughes drops Hoedt, Vestergaard and Long and replaces them with Yoshida, Bednarek and Ings, we could possibly get a draw at Wolves. I don't know why posters on here keep putting Vestergaard in their best starting XI, as he is as much of a problem as Hoedt. The pair of them look like worse versions of Hooiveld.

Vestergaard is one of our best players this season and has reduced the likelihood of us conceding a goal every time the ball is crossed into the box. I'm happy about that. And he looks like a significant upgrade on Hooiveld (and Stephens). At this point I'd be picking a 3 of Bednarek, Vestergaard and Yoshida, but of course we'll keep picking Hoedt because if we don't there's no chance his value will go up. FWIW I'm of the mindset that if we do pick him there's no chance we make a profit either. Maybe Cardiff will want him in January.

Harsh on Vestergaard, even VVD looked terrible next to Hoedt, half arsed or not. Put him with the more mobile Yoshida, or someone that can run or play football, you’ll see the difference.

Another loss on the cards...Wolves are a well drilled side and we can’t buy a goal. 2-0 if we’re lucky.

I wouldn't say we can't buy a goal we've done alright in front of goal this season if we had a defence that could keep a clean sheet we would be doing alright. The issue is with our defence being so poor we are going to need to score 3+ goals a game to get a result.

Give it a rest. Vestergaard was good at Anfield.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Not really sure how their reserves vs our reserves in the Carbo cup last season has much bearing on a league game this season.

It has every bearing on this season's league games and simply because there are NO reserves anymore, all players are squad players and are a starting option. I doubt we'll get tanked but losing 1-0 is worth a good bet.

It has every bearing on this season's league games and simply because there are NO reserves anymore, all players are squad players and are a starting option. I doubt we'll get tanked but losing 1-0 is worth a good bet.

That was our first game playing 3 at the back wasn't it? And it went so poorly that we didn't touch it again for about 3 months?

He wasn't marking Matip, but still got closer to him than anyone else.

And there were countless clearing headers.

I assume that, like me, you were there, so how have you got it so wrong? Unless you're basing your view on a few highlights?

His attempted 'challenge' to Matip for the goal wasn't 'good' in any shape or form.

Give it a rest. Vestergaard was good at Anfield.

Agree. Can’t believe people moaning at him already when he has been playing alongside the worst player I have seen in over 35 years of supporting Saints e.g. Hoedt.

Worst when you compare size of fee, expectations, attitude and just as all round dreadful player. I support Hughes but the ignoring of Yoshi is odd.

Vestergaard and Yoshi would be fine, with Jack as a 5 in some games.

It dosen't matter that Wolves are newly promoted, or dont have the "PL experience", they are a good side with a good manager playing with confidence and belief, the polar opposite of us at the moment. I predict a defensive set up with little attacking ambition (Long up front as usual), although Ings may make things happen, about the only player who can trouble the opposition.

0-0 at best, but more likely 2-0 Wolves.

Still we can look forward to 3 points v Chelsea at fortress St Marys later. Yes..?

It dosen't matter that Wolves are newly promoted, or dont have the "PL experience", they are a good side with a good manager playing with confidence and belief, the polar opposite of us at the moment. I predict a defensive set up with little attacking ambition (Long up front as usual), although Ings may make things happen, about the only player who can trouble the opposition.

0-0 at best, but more likely 2-0 Wolves.

Still we can look forward to 3 points v Chelsea at fortress St Marys later. Yes..?

Despite the fact we've been playing 4-4-2 for most of the season and have been quite attacking certainly more so than under MoPe.

Wolves should be odds on for the win, they have all the energy and belief of a freshly promoted team whereas we look a bit Villa'esque of a few seasons back.

1-0 to us it is then.

I said pretty much the same thing on another thread elsewhere. Villas decline didn't happen over the course of a single season, they went down in installments over about 4 bad seasons, and now appear to be struggling quite badly for a club of their size and stature. But unless we do a u-turn pretty quickly I can see us following the same route, maybe not this season, but without improvement, next season could see us back in the wilderness of 'clubs too good to go down' championship.

Is there parking close to the ground? Pubs?

Pubs in Wolverhampton are a bit sh*tty in general, most are home fan only (and you have to show your ticket on the door) and the Wolves fans aren't exactly the most accommodating or friendly bunch you'll ever meet. Apparently the Great Western in the city is home and away fan friendly (and the best pub in the city for real ale but it's not big), as long as you don't wear colours and don't act like a pr*ck.

The ugly mentioned the Bluebrick, never been there myself but apparently you have to pay a £2 fee to get in and it's in a hotel so i assume the beer selection will be pretty damn poor.

I haven't been to Wolves in a while though but remember it's not's the nicest away day, there was a sketchy pub near the station that i can't remember (prince albert maybe) and the subways weren't the friendliest, but it might have changed now and someone here that's been more recently might offer more in the way of places.

My current pub plan for Wolves is to drink at a cracking pub in West Brom called the Vine, on Roebuck Street. We've used it for years before games v the Baggies. It does great ales and excellent curries. As West Brom are away at Preston it should be a bit quieter than normal.

It takes 20 minutes to The Hawthorns from that pub, and 40 minutes to Molineux, if you use the Kenrick Park tram stop about 5 minutes walk from the Vine, so it just means you leave the pub at 2ish rather than 2.30.

The tram ticket to Wolves is about 3-4 quid.

If coming from the south or East, catch the train from Brum to the Hawthorns or Smethwick Halton Bridge, or the tram goes direct from New Street to Kenrick Park.

Coming From the north, as I'll be, I plan to get a train to Wolves, then get a tram from wolves to Kenrick Park.

I certainly prefer the idea to getting aggro in unwelcoming Wolves pubs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pubs in Wolverhampton are a bit sh*tty in general, most are home fan only (and you have to show your ticket on the door) and the Wolves fans aren't exactly the most accommodating or friendly bunch you'll ever meet. Apparently the Great Western in the city is home and away fan friendly (and the best pub in the city for real ale but it's not big), as long as you don't wear colours and don't act like a pr*ck.

The ugly mentioned the Bluebrick, never been there myself but apparently you have to pay a £2 fee to get in and it's in a hotel so i assume the beer selection will be pretty damn poor.

I haven't been to Wolves in a while though but remember it's not's the nicest away day, there was a sketchy pub near the station that i can't remember (prince albert maybe) and the subways weren't the friendliest, but it might have changed now and someone here that's been more recently might offer more in the way of places.

Each to their own at the end of the day but I've always found Wolves to be a welcoming place for away fans, here's us receiving a warm welcome in 2004 enjoying their hospitality and mingling outside the pub

I had a plan to meet up with a Customer/Friend from those parts who is a Wolves ST holder, despite all the planning and despite being the boss he has to work Saturday so thats out the window. Reading the Away fans websites etc, talking to the bloke over the road who is a Leeds fan and goes to many away games, seems the original plan failing might not be a bad thing as it appears to be the most away fan un-friendly destination on the fixture list.

Leeds fan over the road said that they ended up hanging around for the ground to open just to get a relaxed beer.