Elye Wahi

Master Bates

I imagine this is pretty common. Clubs aren't allowed to give contracts to under 16s, so try to exercise as much soft power as possible, giving financial perks, helping out with training options etc etc, in the hope that the player will be grateful and agree to a longer relationship. But ultimately if the player decides to sign a contract elsewhere, then that's entirely up to them

We're not saying we have a case. The small French team is. Presumably they are miffed at getting no compensation from Montpelier or something. I'm guessing we had agreed to pay them a bit more once we signed the lad.

At the end of the day, we weren't allowed to sign him professionally so it's hardly a balls-up, unless people think we should be throwing huge riches at the parents of 14 year olds.

Given how many "prodigies" never make it, I say let's leave that to City and Chelsea.

Our academy will continue to be weak if we rely only on our local catchment area.

We only need one prodigy to make us a big transfer fee and the investment in 30+ others is worth it

I'm not saying we shouldn't look outside our catchment area. I am saying we should be measured in the amount of money we throw after individuals.