The Pre-January Transfer Window Thread

Saint Garrett

Said for several windows that Thorgan Hazard would be great. But think he's developing beyond our level now. Think he'd be ideal adding some impetus to our attack and meaning we don't rely on Redmond.

But any signings are largely pointless until we're in a position to make use of them. Elyounoussi looks a decent player, but he's done nothing here. Too many decent players have struggled with our coaching, management, tactics etc in the last couple of years. Just leads to wasted money, and too many fans are quick to write them off and demand more signings they'll rapidly dislike too.

Actually people wanting Vesterguard gone after a handful of appearances in a new league. The guy has talent, just needs to play in a settled back 4 under a decent manager. You don't just give up on expensive signings after a few games and throw another £18m at it. A club our size is doomed with that thinking.

All I want to see is Austin, Long and possibly Davis moved on, free up room for Obafemi, Gallagher to compete with Ings and Gabbiadini. Then sign a decent attacker to replace/compete with Redmond/Elyounoussi.

And it goes without saying, REPLACE HUGHES.

I cant believe we've gone into another season with Long as one of our main attacking options! Austin at least does score occasionally, but I'd agree, he's lucky to still be here having done next to nothing for a year or so. I'm sure 75% of Championship clubs would take him though. Davis the same really - surely Rangers for him, or didnt he start at Aston Villa? All three are clogging up space and realistically never going to play too much (if we have the right manager that is). We've only got a 'deep roster' as we have so many average players clogging it up. Get rid of those 3, along with Forster and get in one high quality main target man or super pacey winger / creative player and I think we'll look much better.

How the mighty have fallen. Shows how strong Liverpool are when Lallana & Clyne have both previously done very well for them, then have gotten injured & pretty much can't get a game now fit again.

How many domestic loans can we have?

Assuming we stay up we should try to sign Clyne in the summer.

Cedric will go as only 1 year left on his contract.

Two domestic loans, and only one from one club; as Ings is technically a loan until July 1st I'm assuming this wouldn't be possible.

Cahill should be the loan we go for in January, which means it won’t happen.

Agree with that 100%- quite simply would add everything we lack.

Do wonder whether someone like Fernando Llorente would be someone to look at loan. Always been better when we've had a target man and he'd fit that bill; has experience of fighting against relegation and hasn't played that often for Tottenham since he played there, so could be available.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Hughes again. January should be fun.....wonder whose name has been circulated.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/investigation-into-craig-klines-corruption-allegations-against-fa-and-fulham-sl0zxvp2k

Southampton’s January sales

Southampton are planning to sell players during next month’s transfer window to raise money to fund signings. The new owner, Gao Jisheng, is unwilling to put additional money into the club, having paid £210 million for an 80 per cent stake last year, and has told Southampton’s management team that there will have to be sales if reinforcements are required, leading them to begin circulating the names of unwanted players to European clubs. Southampton are also reluctant to pay a release clause to secure a replacement for Mark Hughes if the manager is sacked. As a result they have focused their search on individuals who are out of work, leading them to speak to Paulo Sousa, the former Queens Park Rangers, Swansea City and Leicester City manager, as revealed by The Times last week.

Matt Hughes again. January should be fun.....wonder whose name has been circulated.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/investigation-into-craig-klines-corruption-allegations-against-fa-and-fulham-sl0zxvp2k

Southampton are planning to sell players during next month’s transfer window to raise money to fund signings. The new owner, Gao Jisheng, is unwilling to put additional money into the club, having paid £210 million for an 80 per cent stake last year, and has told Southampton’s management team that there will have to be sales if reinforcements are required, leading them to begin circulating the names of unwanted players to European clubs. Southampton are also reluctant to pay a release clause to secure a replacement for Mark Hughes if the manager is sacked. As a result they have focused their search on individuals who are out of work, leading them to speak to Paulo Sousa, the former Queens Park Rangers, Swansea City and Leicester City manager, as revealed by The Times last week.

Standard.

Except it can't be true can it? Big Kat assured us the 'partnership' with Gao was to provide investment to take us to the next level.

All well and good but we’ve got no one left to sell :lol: we might be able to pull £20-£30m for Lemina, Cedric Bertrand and McCarthy but I can’t see many takers for anyone else...

Long long long road ahead until these *****s sell up

For "unwilling" read "unable". The bloke hasn't got a pot to **** in so how can he. We really were stitched up thanks to Ms Liebherr.

Yep. Yet her father’s name is all over the training ground and academy, I’d now question whether it should be due to KL’s greed. Name it after Stokes, or Channon, or MLT. Liebherr name sadly tainted for me.

Bunch of shysters all round, do not give them any money whatsoever until they are gone lock stock and barrel from what used to be SFC. Blackpool have got the right ideas with boycotting home games. If you need a football fix, go the away games, it’ll show a prospective buyer the support is still there if a legitimate owner comes into place.

SFC 1886 - 2017. Hopefully a new club can be born in a few years time, whether that be a saved SFC in the lower leagues or a Phoenix club.

Yeah, that is crazy. I'm not having that.

Bournemouth spent £26m on Lerma without selling anyone. We are being sold up a river here, club is dead.

Yep, you don’t see other clubs selling their best players hand over fist either.

If Callum Wilson was our player, we would have been very open to cashing in.

Far too many people went along with when it was our policy. I think vast majority of our fans have just given up

It’s not that we haven’t got the money it’s the fact that we have wasted circa 100 million in poor signings plus the ridiculous wages wouldn’t mind betting we totally ****ed 150 million pound up the wall in the last 4 windows

How come we seem to be the only club who must sell before we buy?

I just want to correct the narrative here - we have to sell before we can buy because we have no room in our 25 man squad. It's nothing to do with finances.

Yeah, that is crazy. I'm not having that.

Bournemouth spent £26m on Lerma without selling anyone. We are being sold up a river here, club is dead.

Something is seriously wrong isn't it?

We're acting like paupers, but seeing no financial rewards for our "prudency" and austerity - by all accounts we seem to be acting worse off than we have been since returning to the Premier League....

Said for several windows that Thorgan Hazard would be great. But think he's developing beyond our level now. Think he'd be ideal adding some impetus to our attack and meaning we don't rely on Redmond.

But any signings are largely pointless until we're in a position to make use of them. Elyounoussi looks a decent player, but he's done nothing here. Too many decent players have struggled with our coaching, management, tactics etc in the last couple of years. Just leads to wasted money, and too many fans are quick to write them off and demand more signings they'll rapidly dislike too.

Actually people wanting Vesterguard gone after a handful of appearances in a new league. The guy has talent, just needs to play in a settled back 4 under a decent manager. You don't just give up on expensive signings after a few games and throw another £18m at it. A club our size is doomed with that thinking.

All I want to see is Austin, Long and possibly Davis moved on, free up room for Obafemi, Gallagher to compete with Ings and Gabbiadini. Then sign a decent attacker to replace/compete with Redmond/Elyounoussi.

And it goes without saying, REPLACE HUGHES.

agree with all of this

I just want to correct the narrative here - we have to sell before we can buy because we have no room in our 25 man squad. It's nothing to do with finances.

Well that is clearly bull****. Since the boardroom changes in 2014, our approx spend on transfers has been £313m and we've recieved approx £330m from player sales in the same period. I bet Bournemouth have spent significantly more than they've recieved since they've been in the Premier League, same goes for Palace, Watford, Burnley, Leicester, Brighton and Huddersfield.

Surely you don’t really believe that? The owner has no money to invest' date=' simple as.[/quote']

It's worse than that..every other team can spend the premier league money, our owner owes that to the money men so we can't even stand still and invest any of that money (in the way Bournemouth or any other team you care to mention have)

I have a feeling that the players we want to shift will be hard to get rid of in Europe a) because they’re not very good and b) because their wages will be too much for European sides.

Gao is turning out to be an even worse owner than originally feared.

Surely you don’t really believe that? The owner has no money to invest' date=' simple as.[/quote']

That was one of the selling points for him wasn't it? a self sustainable club that didn't require any investment of his cash. I'd love us to have a rich oil type to pour money in but plenty of PL clubs don't and they still manage to spend using the TV money.

That was one of the selling points for him wasn't it? a self sustainable club that didn't require any investment of his cash. I'd love us to have a rich oil type to pour money in but plenty of PL clubs don't and they still manage to spend using the TV money.

He paid for the takeover with loans, which is probably being paid off using that TV money and with interest.

Goa is a bloke who failed the fit and proper test for buying a football club.

Fat Kat should be ashamed for selling to him, but she won't be. Laughing all the way with her £210 million safely banked.

Yet she still felt the need to charge 'her' club interest on loans. She has certainly squeezed every penny out of her father's initial £12 million investment. She owes Cortese an enormous debt of gratitude for persuading her father to buy the club and then increasing its value by so much. He has made her a fortune.

Yet she still felt the need to charge 'her' club interest on loans. She has certainly squeezed every penny out of her father's initial £12 million investment. She owes Cortese an enormous debt of gratitude for persuading her father to buy the club and then increasing its value by so much. He has made her a fortune.

I bet the wet lettuces at games fawn all over her