The Pre-January Transfer Window Thread

Saint Garrett

Outside of Newcastle I think we have the worst owners in the prem. Kat who doesn't seem to want to invest anymore and Gao who supposedly can't invest. I can't see us buying anyone in Jan and if we do I'll eat my left sock.

The theory hasn't really changed. We tend to spend the money we make from sales.

The difference is the replacements aren't as good as they used to be.

The theory hasn't really changed. We tend to spend the money we make from sales.

And the biggest differences:

1. We have no youth players to sell for massive cash unlike Shaw, Chambers, Lallana etc.

2. We have had a couple of poor Managers who haven't improved players.

Outside of Newcastle I think we have the worst owners in the prem. Kat who doesn't seem to want to invest anymore and Gao who supposedly can't invest. I can't see us buying anyone in Jan and if we do I'll eat my left sock.

• 3 weeks later...
You'll have Faz after you making statements like that.

Honestly, I have the square root of f*ck all confidence in us to do anything in January when the last answer we came up with was Carrillo.

Agree

Remember when we were in for promes and such like last January but ended up with a terrible (and completely different) player from Monaco.

Fans here tried spinning his goal record into something good, which was quite strange

Just like things didn't instantly go bad after Reed took over (huge positive momentum)

They won't instantly improve now he's left either. (huge negative momentum)

We have serious problems though... An owner seemingly unwilling or unable to invest and a squad so limited in quality that we can no longer sell a player to reinvest.

We are basically Katie Prices "mansion" just now. Worn out, grubby, not nice to look at and limited silver left to sell.

Leslies sacking was and is fantastic but could be 2-3 years too late I'm afraid. He really has left us in a mess

Just like things didn't instantly go bad after Reed took over (huge positive momentum)

They won't instantly improve now he's left either. (huge negative momentum)

We have serious problems though... An owner seemingly unwilling or unable to invest and a squad so limited in quality that we can no longer sell a player to reinvest.

We are basically Katie Prices "mansion" just now. Worn out, grubby, not nice to look at and limited silver left to sell.

Leslies sacking was and is fantastic but could be 2-3 years too late I'm afraid. He really has left us in a mess

Although I'd wager Harvey has more vision than our board.

Wasn't that all down to Les though now he is gone isn't all supposed to be better?

I think you'll find that we are still left with the players, coaches, head of recruitment and manager appointed by Les and his appointees. Certainly in the case of the players recruited, Ross Wilson, the Head of Recruitment, must have been very heavily involved, and he is still here. That is the scale of the problem and It's going to take more than one day to fix all that.

It does feel though that the club has taken the first step on the road to recovery.

I think you'll find that we are still left with the players, coaches, head of recruitment and manager appointed by Les and his appointees. Certainly in the case of the players recruited, Ross Wilson, the Head of Recruitment, must have been very heavily involved, and he is still here. That is the scale of the problem and It's going to take more than one day to fix all that.

It does feel though that the club has taken the first step on the road to recovery.

It shouldn't be that hard. A new DoF only needs to find a manger more competent than Hughes and a couple of signings that actually work out in Jan and we ate already in a better place than we are right now.

Cahill to go out on loan in January, worth a punt I reckon.

The Telegraph thinks that we were interested in him during the summer...

“Cahill’s availability will alert a host of clubs at home and abroad. West Ham United and Southampton were interested during the summer, while new Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri is likely to try to sign a new defender. The former England international’s former club Aston Villa could also try to tempt him to the Championship.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/14/gary-cahill-will-allowed-leave-chelsea-loan-effectively-end/

The Telegraph thinks that we were interested in him during the summer...

“Cahill’s availability will alert a host of clubs at home and abroad. West Ham United and Southampton were interested during the summer, while new Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri is likely to try to sign a new defender. The former England international’s former club Aston Villa could also try to tempt him to the Championship.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/14/gary-cahill-will-allowed-leave-chelsea-loan-effectively-end/

Would love him to come - a captain / leader with experience to organise the defense but unfortunately we wont get him because of wages

No point looking a rumours I don't think until at least we get the new DOF in and probably the new manager as well.

They could go in a completely different direction, I mean I don't really understand why we are not looking beyond Europe for example, huge amount of talent in Brazil for example, just look at Richarlison and we seem to have just decided not to look there out of spite, things like that might change now Reed has gone.

Would love us to look at someone like Luan for example from Gremio, think he is the type of creative player we need.

No point looking a rumours I don't think until at least we get the new DOF in and probably the new manager as well.

They could go in a completely different direction, I mean I don't really understand why we are not looking beyond Europe for example, huge amount of talent in Brazil for example, just look at Richarlison and we seem to have just decided not to look there out of spite, things like that might change now Reed has gone.

Would love us to look at someone like Luan for example from Gremio, think he is the type of creative player we need.

aren't Brazilian players really hard for us (or any PL club) to get cos of work permits or something? would love to know but the bulk of South American stars tend to go Portugal, Spain or Italy etc before coming here...

only one i can think of in recent years is Richarlison and Jesus for City.

or we can blame Brexit ;)

Get rid of Davis, Long and Forster on free transfers.

Sell Bertrand and Cedric - play Target and Stephens at full back and bring in 2 new ones who can actually be *rsed to try.

Sell Gabbiadini to Italy, Austin to the Championship and bring in a striker with a bit of pace and physicality - even if its on loan. Patrick Schick would do.

Get rid of Davis, Long and Forster on free transfers.

Sell Bertrand and Cedric - play Target and Stephens at full back and bring in 2 new ones who can actually be *rsed to try.

Sell Gabbiadini to Italy, Austin to the Championship and bring in a striker with a bit of pace and physicality - even if its on loan. Patrick Schick would do.

Looks like a fair recipe for relegation.

aren't Brazilian players really hard for us (or any PL club) to get cos of work permits or something? would love to know but the bulk of South American stars tend to go Portugal, Spain or Italy etc before coming here...

only one i can think of in recent years is Richarlison and Jesus for City.

or we can blame Brexit ;)

It's some sort of points based system based on transfer fee, number of caps for the international team in the last 2 years and standing of that country.

Richarlison had no caps before joining Watford and Jesus probably had very few so I think they would get in because Brazil are high ranked and the fee is quite high, something like that.

I think South American players tend to go to Portugal, Spain, Italy because the cultures and weather are similar and they already know the language or can pick it up quite quickly.

It's some sort of points based system based on transfer fee, number of caps for the international team in the last 2 years and standing of that country.

Richarlison had no caps before joining Watford and Jesus probably had very few so I think they would get in because Brazil are high ranked and the fee is quite high, something like that.

I think South American players tend to go to Portugal, Spain, Italy because the cultures and weather are similar and they already know the language or can pick it up quite quickly.

Gabriel Jesus was an Olympic Games gold medalist with Brazil in 2016. That's enough to get him a work permit I'd have thought. Richarlison didn't play in their Olympic side (or I don't think he did anyway) but he was in their Unders side that won the South American 2017 equivalent of the U21 Euro.

We have no money to spend.

Sounds reasonable. Anyway having money doesn't always guarantee that we'd do anything vaguely useful with it anyway.

How much did we spend last summer, 60 million or so (including what we'll have to pay for Ings which they'll just knock off of what the owe us anyway) and I don't see that we're really any better for it.

I don't know - I think doing nothing is more like a recipe for relegation.

Getting rid of the dead weight to free up wages should make sense to anyone. And replacing Bertrand and Cedric with 2 full backs who might actually give a sh*te is another obvious one - as is playing Targett and Stephens at full back to give them some competition in the short term.

And bringing in a striker - and someone who can lead the line - and give us something different upfront and score goals is also a bit of a no-brainer.

And we have to sell to buy - and pay new players - and we need to do something or we are going down again.

Worth putting this here...

“...the club do not want to risk letting the season drift.

They feel that results do not reflect the squad’s quality and there is no particular desire for an overhaul in January. “We feel we have an extremely deep roster right now so at the moment we don’t plan to be active in January,” said Krueger. “We have the capability of being active but at the moment I would say we are not planning for activity in January.””

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/19/southmaptons-off-field-overhaul-could-include-division-les-reeds/

I’m not particularly hopeful that there will be any significant additions to the first team “roster” in January.