The Pre-January Transfer Window Thread

Saint Garrett

We need in no particular order: a better right back than back than Cedric, a dominant beast of a centre back, a dominant beast of a defensive midfielder, a pacy winger, a creative number ten, a goal scoring quick striker, a new manager.

Get those and we might be ok.

We need a big strong leader at CB and a big strong leader in CM.

I’d take Cahill

Signing Cahill would signal a change of approach. It would make sense but would also be an acknowledgement of failure from Les and Wee Ross.

Cahill plus a strong midfielder with leadership qualities and we would look half decent.

Cedric---Yoshi/Vest-Cahill---Bertrand

---------------------New-------------------------

-------Hoybyeeeerg--Lemina-----------

-Gabbi/Mo -----Ings----------Redmond

That should be plenty good enough to finish safely.

We need in no particular order: a better right back than back than Cedric, a dominant beast of a centre back, a dominant beast of a defensive midfielder, a pacy winger, a creative number ten, a goal scoring quick striker, a new manager.

Get those and we might be ok.

This is spot on. We may get this by 2030 (no, not half past eight)

We desperately need a leader on the field. Almost doesn't matter where they play, although central midfield would be ideal.

Like a Jimmy Case, Alan Ball or a Terry Paine. Or a Roy Keane just to frighten the life out of everyone.

Any ideas?

We desperately need a leader on the field. Almost doesn't matter where they play, although central midfield would be ideal.

Like a Jimmy Case, Alan Ball or a Terry Paine. Or a Roy Keane just to frighten the life out of everyone.

Any ideas?

JWP!

Looking at Bournemouth we could desperately do with some pace and power.

Plus also looking at the likes of Brooks, Maddison and Maguire, we should not be shying away from signing top young talent from the championship, I feel we have generally ignored this market too much (aside going for Maddison this year).

And agree with others, we need a dominating DM, would love Wanyama back, but Romeu looks like a shadow of his former self at the moment, but if you look at the likes of Bournemouth and Watford who you would say are the teams punching above their weight, they have a lot of pace and power about them in the middle of the pitch and going forward.

Looking at Bournemouth we could desperately do with some pace and power.

Plus also looking at the likes of Brooks, Maddison and Maguire, we should not be shying away from signing top young talent from the championship, I feel we have generally ignored this market too much (aside going for Maddison this year).

And agree with others, we need a dominating DM, would love Wanyama back, but Romeu looks like a shadow of his former self at the moment, but if you look at the likes of Bournemouth and Watford who you would say are the teams punching above their weight, they have a lot of pace and power about them in the middle of the pitch and going forward.

I would agree with all you say. We have overlooked the Championship, in the belief that it is too much of a "step up" for players there. Never agreed that myself. They are used to playing in the English games and many are ready. They would take our wage structure with a smile on their face too. I don't like this approach of going for discarded continentals kicking their heels in their club sides, who have never played in this country and look out of sorts here.

And yes, we need an ugly brute in central midfield who will strut about like King Kong, taking the ball (and ankles) off the opposition. Doubt Wanyama would come back, sadly, but surely there is someone imposing out there.

I would agree with all you say. We have overlooked the Championship, in the belief that it is too much of a "step up" for players there. Never agreed that myself. They are used to playing in the English games and many are ready. They would take our wage structure with a smile on their face too. I don't like this approach of going for discarded continentals kicking their heels in their club sides, who have never played in this country and look out of sorts here.

And yes, we need an ugly brute in central midfield who will strut about like King Kong, taking the ball (and ankles) off the opposition. Doubt Wanyama would come back, sadly, but surely there is someone imposing out there.

Wanyama would come back tomorrow for the right dollars

we could desperately do with some pace and power.

I'd agree with this and your point about Romeu.

I've not commented or even been on the board since suffering on Sunday, and was thinking that Hughes really hasn't got much to work with when to change the game he has Long and Romeu to bring on. Chelsea had pace and power in pretty well every position as well as game changers like Hazard. We just don't, and if we are to buy I'd at least trust Hughes more than MP and our January purchase of Carillo.

Yeh Christensen would be quality, though I'd reckon he'd maybe set his sights higher.

Loftus-Cheek though is a more viable option and exactly the sort of player we need, he has pace, power and trickery. He must be getting frustrated with his lack of game time.

Yeh Christensen would be quality, though I'd reckon he'd maybe set his sights higher.

Loftus-Cheek though is a more viable option and exactly the sort of player we need, he has pace, power and trickery. He must be getting frustrated with his lack of game time.

He'll be off in Jan, probably permanently, and I'd take him, but again think he'll want to go somewhere better than us unfortunately.

He'll be off in Jan, probably permanently, and I'd take him, but again think he'll want to go somewhere better than us unfortunately.

He's a good shout for a club at the level of Dortmund, Sevilla etc. We don't have a chance with this sort of quality like we used to.

He's a good shout for a club at the level of Dortmund, Sevilla etc. We don't have a chance with this sort of quality like we used to.

Why not? Doubt players really have a problem joining us.. we have still been great as a stepping stone.. only problem for us is getting blown out of the water with wages or fees?

We need a second right back to cover Cedric - and hopefully put some pressure on him for first choice.

At least one more winger to provide some cover and competition for Moi Elynoussi and Redmond - if not two really. Hopefully a goal scorer with some pace.

And unfortunately another centre back - but a good one with some pace.

Ideally we should have at least two players for every position more or less - with probably an extra goalkeeper, striker and centreback to make up the 25 players over 21. Oh and some good U21 players pushing for a first team place. But we have 4 keepers over 21, 5 strikers, but only 2 wingers and one right back. It doesn't look very balanced to me which points to a lack of any real squad plan on Reed and Wilson's part.

Surely we won't sign another CB as would have to probably let two of our current ones go which we won't be able to do.

In addition, its pretty clear we have no money, hence we begged Liverpool to let us have Ings on loan, so we can pay for him in a different accounting year.

Our whole business model relies on selling for good cash. If we can't do that then we will have little cash to spend. We splashed out quite a bit this summer. I expect very minimal outlay in January.

Surely we won't sign another CB as would have to probably let two of our current ones go which we won't be able to do.

In addition, its pretty clear we have no money, hence we begged Liverpool to let us have Ings on loan, so we can pay for him in a different accounting year.

Our whole business model relies on selling for good cash. If we can't do that then we will have little cash to spend. We splashed out quite a bit this summer. I expect very minimal outlay in January.

This.

Unless we can sell some of our below average squad fillers, I feel there will be little in the way of players in.

We are average or below average all over the pitch apart from GK. Depressing.

If we sell anyone in Jan we should try to get maxi gomez to pair up with ingsy, excellent goal record atm. I'd take sisto as a winger. Cahill at cb would be great. Would also like Loftus. I would take anyone right now tbh. Sick of seeing the same melts not put a shift in and not fight for the badge. Sick of seeing the heads drop when we concede. Sick of seeing us sit deep when we need to kill teams off. Sick of players only seeing our club as a stepping stone. Sick of not seeing any leadership on the pitch. I just want us to have some bottle and have a go. Even if we lose 4 nil at least give it a go. I do hope we sell some of the dross in Jan and bring in another cb at least. Back to the pub.

We don’t have a chance now but we were strongly linked with Paco Alcacer from Barca.

Now banging them in for Dortmund but still on loan. One that got away if believe that we realistically could have got him. I don’t think I will ever get over £19m wasted on Carilllo.

Just watched Usain Bolt's two goals. The first one is a better finish than all (bar Ings) are capable of. We need pace in the side. Cheeky bid time? He's still not got a contract in Australia, only training and playing a few games.

Or we could just sign a random non-league player

We've already got a bloated squad so we really need to get rid of the likes of long etc before we even think about bringing in anybody in Jan.

Also given crazy jan prices, spending next year's money already on ings & the fact you could easily end up with the next carrillo, i'd hope the club would steer clear of permanent signings.

Repeat post, but:

Its pretty clear we have no money, hence we begged Liverpool to let us have Ings on loan, so we can pay for him in a different accounting year.

Repeat post, but:

Its pretty clear we have no money, hence we begged Liverpool to let us have Ings on loan, so we can pay for him in a different accounting year.

Yeah, no doubt the Ings loan was to gently manipulate FFP, meaning we are right on the limit of it.

I'd take Dzeko without a second thought. But can't see it happening unless we offload Gallagher, Austin and others.

Our business model is to buy young with potential, not old with experience. We couldn't afford his wages and there would be no resale profit. So, this is a non-starter .... unless we really are going back to getting in ageing rockers for their final season or two.

Our business model is to buy young with potential, not old with experience. We couldn't afford his wages and there would be no resale profit. So, this is a non-starter .... unless we really are going back to getting in ageing rockers for their final season or two.

We have made exceptions (depending on the definition of young / old). Pelle, Pied, McCarthy

I'd take Dzeko without a second thought. But can't see it happening unless we offload Gallagher, Austin and others.

To be fair, I could definitely see us selling Gallagher and one of Austin/Long/Gabbiadini. Can't really see Dzeko being that keen on Saints if someone like Palace is interested though, given the location.

Would 100% take Dzeko, and Cahill- but wonder if we're an easy link for agents as we're clearly weak in both boxes.

we could sign aguero but he'd have to set his sights on between 5-10 goals a season with us.

We have no creative midfielder who plays regularly to feed forwards as we are in the keep it solid mindset and throw in a cross (armstrong could play the role)

Whatever our playing strategy has been the last 3 seasons it has failed.

Think we need a new approach to score goals

Ings was a loan because it was quicker to get it done on deadline day.
Thats very naïve. We didn't suddenly become interested in him a couple of hours before the deadline.

If we had the cash we would have bought him sooner. There is no advantage in a loan with a guarantee to buy. In fact it means there are games he cannot play in which is a clear disadvantage!

To me it seems obvious its to do with not paying another big fee this year. We are going to be paying it whatever happens so logic dictates we just didnt want to pay it now.