The Pre-January Transfer Window Thread

Saint Garrett

Richmond Boakye-Yiadom

https://ghanasoccernet.com/southampton-sent-scout-to-watch-richmond-boakye-in-serbian-derby-as-ghana-striker-sparkles

English Premier League side Southampton sent a scout to watch Ghana striker Richmond Boakye-Yiadom in last Sunday's Eternal Derby in Serbia.

Boakye lasted the entire duration and scored a terrific header for Red Star Belgrade to earn a come-from-behind 1-1 draw with rivals Partizan.

It was his third goal of the season in two league matches.

The 25-year-old impressed against the Saints in the summer when he scored for former club Jiangsu Suning in a pre-season match in China.

Jiangsu signed Boakye from the Serbia club for £ 5m last season but agreed to let him go back to Belgrade on a two-year deal when Red Star qualified for the Champions League.

There are reports scouts representing Galatasaray, Borussia Dortmund, Genoa, SPAL, Pescara, Fiorentina Villarreal, Real Valladolid, Getafe, Las Palmas and Lille were also present.

Rafael Toloi

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2018/09/26/southampton-eyeing-january-move-for-serie-a-defender/391311/

Southampton are eyeing a move for Atalanta defender Rafael Toloi during the January transfer window, it has been claimed.

The Brazilian centre-back arrived in European football when Roma signed him from Sao Paulo in 2014, but he returned to his homeland just half-a-season later.

Atalanta brought him back to Italy in 2015 and he has been a rock at the back of the Serie A side over the last three years.

His performances in Italy have been noticed by several sides and it has been claimed that Atalanta could be fielding offers for him from England in the winter window.

Mark Hughes is keen to add to his defence in January and according to Italian broadcaster Sport Mediaset, Toloi has emerged as a target for Southampton for the coming months.

The south coast club are expected to make a move for Toloi in January and table an offer to take the 27-year-old to England in the middle of the season.

It remains to be seen whether Atalanta would be prepared to lose a key player such as the defender in January.

The Brazilian has a contract until 2020 with the Serie A outfit.

another centre back. If true that crazy stockpiling.

Guessing Yoshida will be gone (unfortunately). Stephens needs a loan - not sure he'll ever quite be good enough, but some regular football at either top end of Championship or somewhere like Cardiff? Even Europe would be good. Not sure what that means for Bednarek who's always looked pretty good to me.

The striker could be good as Hughes obviously doesnt fancy Gabbiadini and Austin hasnt been great in his limited appearances. Shlong shouldnt be playing regularly for a decent premier league team...

Clearly we need a quick and direct wide player. Thats the no1 requirement by an absolute mile.

Shipping out Austin and replacing with a player who can run would be a bonus.

they are too hard to find these days- 6 years ago we might have had the best technology for scouting, but feel like everyone else has caught up now.

More money wasting, bigger squad, even more changes and confusion.

Let's just add to the long list of players being poorly coached and going backwards.

I'd prefer to see sales. Start with Long and Austin, time to move on Davis, Hoedt if anyone would take him. Gabbiadini if he's not happy and just isn't going to play. Then invest in a proper manager.

Let's not get carried away by agent talk who see the plight we are in. There is no money to buy players unless we sell a few first. I agree with you on that list of PTSBD players but will anybody want them and will there be enough time negotiate and conclude good deals for them before we start shopping. Then their is the inescapable fact that we have not been very good at bringing in even half decent players in January in recent seasons.

As an aside will Hughes' opinions matter one jot or tittle by January?

More money wasting, bigger squad, even more changes and confusion.

Let's just add to the long list of players being poorly coached and going backwards.

I'd prefer to see sales. Start with Long and Austin, time to move on Davis, Hoedt if anyone would take him. Gabbiadini if he's not happy and just isn't going to play. Then invest in a proper manager.

If only for the manager, we'd be challenging top half. I respect the hustle.

What we're missing and have been missing for a few seasons is a proper defensive midfielder that can break up the play and cover defence, we haven't had one since Wanyama and the reason the defence look terrible and we can't get people forward is because we don't have that cover.

Plus a striker that isn't injury prone, can score goals and will be played would be nice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45607843

I don't imagine for one second we'd be in for Gary Cahill, but I really hope the board look at him as an option (maybe to the end of the season or an 18 month deal). Can't help but think he is exactly the kind of player we need right now; plenty of experience, loads of honours and experience captaining a successful side. We are desperate for leadership on the pitch.

What we're missing and have been missing for a few seasons is a proper defensive midfielder that can break up the play and cover defence, we haven't had one since Wanyama and the reason the defence look terrible and we can't get people forward is because we don't have that cover.

Romeu was fans player of the season year before last, so I can't see we have been missing a DM since Wanyama left. He seems to be half the player he was then at the moment but its difficult to say we don't have one, we just need to get him back to form or make sure the system he is playing in suits him better. He also seems to struggle when playing with Lemina (and vice versa).

I don't imagine for one second we'd be in for Gary Cahill, but I really hope the board look at him as an option (maybe to the end of the season or an 18 month deal). Can't help but think he is exactly the kind of player we need right now; plenty of experience, loads of honours and experience captaining a successful side. We are desperate for leadership on the pitch.

I thought the same. Ideal for us, but wages would be the deal breaker.

Be a good signing Cahill. The player we tried to get with Hoet and then tried again with Vest. He can do a job for a couple of years whilst we see if the other two (or more likely Bed and Stephens) improve.

I think he would def be a short term upgrade.

Can't help but feel that we need an upgrade to screen the defence as well.

Romeu was brilliant. And then rubbish.

Hojbjerg has been up and down, but has talent.

Lemina has talent and experience, but not convinced Saints is the right fit for him.

Just seems the product of several poor managerial appointments and confused ideas. Our midfield is a mess, just needs some consistency. I'd like to see Hojbjerg, Romeu and Armstrong for a while.

Just feel Armstrong is miles out of his depth

Sell Hoedt...... Is gash and bad attitude

We no longer sell our players though nowadays, just loan them out whilst massively subsidising their wages. Such is the success of our transfer policy and recruitment. Nice one Les.

Paco Alcácer.....who we were heavily linked with the last couple of transfer windows is showing a touch of class while on loan at Dortmund.And only from the bench I might add. Scoring for fun, 6 goals in 3 matches.

A €30 option to buy at the end of the season.

What a mistake in throwing a sizeable proportion of that on Carrillio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not how biggest fan at all, but would have him in a heartbeat and make him captain.

Paco Alcácer.....who we were heavily linked with the last couple of transfer windows is showing a touch of class while on loan at Dortmund.And only from the bench I might add. Scoring for fun, 6 goals in 3 matches.

A €30 option to buy at the end of the season.

What a mistake in throwing a sizeable proportion of that on Carrillio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty dramatic today scoring a hat trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsPjoVNCcIw

I remember someone suggest we go for the current Dortmund manager (Favre) after Koeman left, saying he improved every team he's been at.

But Les brought us Puel, Pellegrino, and Carrillo instead.

Seeing as Vest is now worse than Bednarek and Hoedt then presumably we'll be after a centre back.
And Armstrong can't get in the squad, so presumably we'll be after an attacking midfielder.
And Mo hasn't set the world alight so we'll probably be after a winger.
I don't care who we sign as long as it's four of them by noon on January 3rd.

My priorities in this order:

1. Replace Les Reed

2. Replace RK

3. Replace Gao (unless he actually shows us a reason for why he is here...)

4. Get a good manager who plays solid but attacking football with a good tempo that involves the academy.