The Pre-January Transfer Window Thread

Saint Garrett

(As an aside I asked an Olympiakos fan about the Norweigan RB we have been linked with and he said he is a good, strong, physical RB who can cross and makes good forward runs. Not rapid but quick enough.)

lack of pace is a concern, but those other facets sound good.

net spend doesn't include signing on fees, paying loyalty bonuses and **** manager redundancies. Also, our wage bill is ****ing massive. It consumes pretty much all the TV and Prem revenue. Do we have massive funds in the bank waiting to be spent? I'm not so sure. We certainly don't appear to have an owner prepared to spend money not generated by the cub. Prepare to be disappointed by our transfer dealings.

I’ve heard this argument used before and whilst it’s a valid point it should also be remembered every other club has to pay these things as well, yet no other club has made such a huge income from transfers in the last 5 years. People that use loyalty bonuses and signing on fees to defend the club seem to forget that we aren’t the only club in the world who pay these things, so do everyone else.

My concern is that we have an astronomical wage bill for players who shouldn’t be or aren’t anywhere near the first team. Forster, Stephens, Hoedt, Long, To name 4 are doing near on £250k a week In wages and have cost us more points than they’ve won this season. We are told we are a well run club and our corporate governance has never been better yet we’re probably paying £20m a year in wages to players who shouldn’t be anywhere near a premier league football club.

Very few people remember or want to include the wages / fees / pay offs as if they don't exist.

They just say: "But the TV money!"

Pay offs is a tricky one as no one knows the severance package. Puel likely is not being paid as he is working in PL. Pellegrino might or might not - no idea how these things work. Maybe we top up his Leganes wage. Hughes might be expensive, but then again, who knows whether there was a performance clause in there that mitigates the expense. Its not like PL clubs keep their managers until the end of their contracts, so I'm sure there will be all sorts of clauses.

Just saw how Omar Elabdellaoui did when he was on loan at Hull for the second half of the 2016/17 season. Silva dropped him after 7 games and he wasn't in the squad again until the last match of the season.

That being said. He has been ever present in Olympiakos' season and has played in the RW position too. So he may be able to be utilised easily as a rwb.

So I’ve been informed the following

Outs

McCarthy

Cedric

Hoedt

Gabbi

Davis

Ins - on black box radar

Mukiele

Malcuit

Maja

Lookman

Poulsen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCarthy? Crikey

Cardiff want Clyne on loan

I would take Clyne back without a thought given he can operate on both sides if needed. But its not possible as we already have Ings on loan from Liverpool and I doubt he would commit to a permanent move when he will have better options in the summer.

So I’ve been informed the following

Outs

McCarthy

Cedric

Hoedt

Gabbi

Davis

Ins - on black box radar

Mukiele

Malcuit

Maja

Lookman

Poulsen

Poulsen would be great. Hope it’s feasible.

I would take Clyne back without a thought given he can operate on both sides if needed. But its not possible as we already have Ings on loan from Liverpool and I doubt he would commit to a permanent move when he will have better options in the summer.

It’s possible if we convert the Ings loan into permanent as has been rumoured

We SHOULD re-sign Clyne, yes. If we can. We should make an offer and try to bring him back. Surely a better option than Cardiff.

No way will McCarthy be going, IMHO. If there was any consideration of that, Gunn would be getting games. Davis, Gabbiadini, Cedric, (maybe) Bertrand, (maybe) Hoedt as outs. The final two added simply because the talk is that they are heads-gone cases. I have no sources, just my own opinion.

Edited by the saint in winchester

As we need pace, would it be worth recalling Boufal? Might suit Ralph's style? Or have I started drinking too early?

Probably the latter.

I would like to see Boufal under Ralph. Wishful thinking hoping for the undoubted talent to be unlocked. Far more than raw ability needed to succeed.

Any chance of us going back in for Karlo Bartolec? He seems to think Saints had him lined up in the summer to replace Cedric if he left (which looks likely now).

Recently capped by Croatia, 23, attack-minded full back, relatively cheap. The youtubes make him look half decent (as they tend to) but he's only playing in Denmark.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Post match Ralph was interesting on transfers.

Said he has been able to see most of the players now and determine if they are useful to him or not.

Said he knows a few positions he would like to strengthen and the window* gives us a chance to do that.

Sounded like there could be quite a lot of change, and given our position and fixtures the sooner it arrives the better.

* The one thing I miss about Puel is him whispering "window mercato" as if it was a secret

(As an aside I asked an Olympiakos fan about the Norweigan RB we have been linked with and he said he is a good, strong, physical RB who can cross and makes good forward runs. Not rapid but quick enough.)

He played a few games for Hull in 2017 but was dropped for a few months after their 4-0 defeat to Everton so he didn't play in the 0-0 draw at St Mary's. He was then brought back for their final Premier League game before they were relegated, a 7-1 home defeat to Spurs. They didn't extend his loan deal after that. At least he has previous experience of relegation.

He played a few games for Hull in 2017 but was dropped for a few months after their 4-0 defeat to Everton so he didn't play in the 0-0 draw at St Mary's. He was then brought back for their final Premier League game before they were relegated, a 7-1 home defeat to Spurs. They didn't extend his loan deal after that. At least he has previous experience of relegation.

And, of course, he will be able to link up with our other Moroccan Norwegian, giving us a monopoly on Moroccan Norwegians in the Premier League. They'll all want to join us after they hear that.

I would like to think we could offload Forster...but alas unless things have changed for him personally,I don’t think it will happen.

And I’m not just talking about financially either.

What things?

What things?

I will use the term alleged for the following.

After the 5-1 defeat to Spurs,and during the subsequent weeks that followed Fraser succumbed to a ‘ complete breakdown’ shall we call it.

A relationship with a fellow ‘employee’ of SFC ended also which compounded the issue.

He was not in a good place at all.

During the summer he was offered contracts by varying clubs...some baulked at his wage demands,but it was apparent to some,and by him,that he was in no fit state to consider a move let alone being in the spotlight of playing for some considerable time.

If this is still the situation I don’t know.

Again this is allegedly.

Would be a good move for all... although are Rangers really going to pay 60k per week to a 34 year old?

You would assume Davis will take a drop. His career is nearly over and can win a title up there. I’m sure he has more money than god by now

You would assume Davis will take a drop. His career is nearly over and can win a title up there. I’m sure he has more money than god by now

You'd think so!

Though the article says we want them to take over his contract... which could imply him being paid at the same rate. And possibly mean that we don't need to pay up his contract if we invite him to leave before the end of it. (Although tbf I've no idea if we would... though it wouldn't surprise me).

Whatever... I hope £££ doesn't become a blocker for him making the move.

The four being hoedt Cedric gabbi and Davis?

Any of the 3 in close ?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Would make sense to be those four out, and Davis going to Rangers seems imminent. Was hoping Forster might be moving on, on loan at least. Les really did the club in at the the knees.

Figures that one of the three in would need to be an experienced RB. Suggests the other a striker/winger and perhaps a strong CM in the Wanyama mould

I see Wanyama being touted for loan move to WBA. We could do worse than take him back

Why would Spurs consider releasing him when they're still in four competitions ? Seems doubtful to me, although if he were available then we should be in for him.

Why would Spurs consider releasing him when they're still in four competitions ? Seems doubtful to me, although if he were available then we should be in for him.

Would take him back like a shot

Because he's not at all in their plans and they need room to add homegrown players to their squad.

Cm is probably our strongest position though really. We might not have quite a tank in the wanyama mould but hoj rom and lemina can all do a job here.

I'd be more concentrating on either cb another attacking winger/creative midfielder or striker.. can you imigine joe up sht creek we would be if ings or Redmond get injured having To rely on Austin long or elyounoussi etc is just scary

Cm is probably our strongest position though really. We might not have quite a tank in the wanyama mould but hoj rom and lemina can all do a job here.

I'd be more concentrating on either cb another attacking winger/creative midfielder or striker.. can you imigine joe up sht creek we would be if ings or Redmond get injured having To rely on Austin long or elyounoussi etc is just scary

but we have 5 of those.

need to get rid of 2 in my opinion if we were to buy another centreback, unless we intend on playing 352/343 all the time

I'm sure Ralph knows the players in the Bundesliga, and ideally would like to see him bring in some recruits from there who have played in a strong league (although what guarentee it gives might be influenced by your view of Vestergaard and how he has adapted).

Difficulty from this market is that a) they won't be cheap, b)some are already playing for sizeable clubs, who won't want to sell mid-season, c) we're not a particularly attractive option at the moment 'come, be a part in our relegation fight'..

I'd be more confident of bringing players of this quality mid-season (if we can stay up).

Would make sense to be those four out, and Davis going to Rangers seems imminent. Was hoping Forster might be moving on, on loan at least. Les really did the club in at the the knees.

Figures that one of the three in would need to be an experienced RB. Suggests the other a striker/winger and perhaps a strong CM in the Wanyama mould

If Gabbi goes who do we have that can regularly score goals? Ings' fitness is dodgy, Austin is just dodgy, Long a joke, and the rest kids. IMO if it's Gabbi, WH, Davis and Cedric out, and 3 in, we need (in order): CF (who can score regularly), RB and CB (experienced leader type).