The Pre-January Transfer Window Thread

Saint Garrett

Hopefully we are not just basing it on his performance against us:

Yes, took his chances, and that's something we struggle to do, but he won't be facing defences routinely giving him acres of space.

Still if Ralph rates him and thinks he can get him fit and motivated, then that's fine, Can't see RH being told who he's going to sign by Ross.

But they do listen to the manager who he is interested in and if it’s been on the black box then we have a match.

It's pretty comforting to know we may be investigating a potential big money move for a striker who has scored only one goal this season.

Let's not change a winning formula, lads.

Well, at least he's improving. He didn't score any last season. If he keeps improving at this rate, he could eventually become as prolific a goal scorer as Shane Long.

It's pretty comforting to know we may be investigating a potential big money move for a striker who has scored only one goal this season.

Let's not change a winning formula, lads.

Looking a bit more in depth, he hasn't played since October, so it's basically 7 apps in 2 months. A fair few of those were subs too.

- Subbed on - 83 mins

- Subbed on - 67 mins - Scored

- Subbed on - h.t.

- Started - subbed off - 76 mins

- Started - 90 mins

- Subbed on - 74 mins - Scored

- Subbed on - h.t.

2 goals in 2 starts and 1.5 games in sub appearances. A bit better than Carrillo, although why he hasn't played more I don't know.

(I'm not saying he's any good, especially with 0 last year)

Well, at least he's improving. He didn't score any last season. If he keeps improving at this rate, he could eventually become as prolific a goal scorer as Shane Long.

Attacking player with 44 goals in 280 games.

Not able to become a first team regular for 4 seasons.

Fits our 2016 strategy change perfectly!

When can he sign?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So is he written off already then ?

Assume this is Hermann, who is described on Wikipedia as a MF rather than an out and out striker by the way. Although this doesn't make a difference to how often he is selected of course, but might put his scoring rate into a slightly different context.

In fairness I'm talking about the striker Selke mentioned in the linked article not Hermann who is a midfielder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davie_Selke

The article said he's scored once this season but Wiki says zero. No idea. But he did score a few last year. The manager knows him and he is still young.

Quite frankly as long as they are Ralph's picks we can sign who he wants. He's our only hope so let him get on with it.

Edited by CB Fry

We were linked to Selke a few years ago. The club probably just haven't gotten around to deleting his name from the black box/football manager database.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Linked summer 2014, if I remember rightly, so would at least be someone we've tracked instead of going with just the manager's opinion like Carrillo.

The Selke link is likely to be because he used to play for him and also as his style of play at Leipzig was basically to have a bigger striker with a smaller faster one.

Poulsen was that guy for him when the came 2nd in the league and he only scored 5 in 29 that year, so it sound more like a player to fit/get the system working not necessarily someone to bang in a load of goals.

The issue is we don't have a Werner to go with him, who got 21 league goals that season.

In fairness I'm talking about the striker Selke mentioned in the linked article not Hermann who is a midfielder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davie_Selke

The article said he's scored once this season but Wiki says zero. No idea. But he did score a few last year. The manager knows him and he is still young.

Quite frankly as long as they are Ralph's picks we can sign who he wants. He's our only hope so let him get on with it.

Fair enough. Looking at his stats for this season, he seems to have been brought on almost religiously on the 60 minute mark every game, the Leonardo Ulloa of the Bundesliga almost. Looks like Ibisevic has been banging them in, so perhaps not his fault he isn't playing/scoring.

Fair enough. Looking at his stats for this season, he seems to have been brought on almost religiously on the 60 minute mark every game, the Leonardo Ulloa of the Bundesliga almost. Looks like Ibisevic has been banging them in, so perhaps not his fault he isn't playing/scoring.

Sounds like we need Ibisevic.

How would y'all feel about doffing our cap at Nat Clyne? Cardiff interested. We probs would have kept him if Liverpool hadn't offered us 5x our purchase price and we hadn't had a deputy in Chambers.

What about now? Assuming he's no longer puffing the magic dragon, and all that.

Got your timelines wrong. We sold Chambers long before we sold Clyne. And we could only have kept him for another season as he was running his contract down (as he did at Palace) and would've walked on a free.

Can't see us bringing him back on a permanent deal (we already have a Liverpool player on loan, so another is out of the question), though he has always been a better player than Cedric.

I imagine our focus will be in more important areas of the team - retaining our PL status isn't likely to come down to us having an inconsistent right back.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Get it done Les!

More likely to happen now than the stupid fool is back on the golf course. Pity it is two years too late to save the club.

Plenty to get rid of but heck knows who would want them. If Stoke don’t take Fraser then loan him out to League One or two, re-emphasise that the club want him off the wage bill and lower league action is his future if he doesn’t shift himself ASAP.

Apart from the keepers and Romeu I don’t mind who leaves in January in the slightest. Would love the League One promotion side we had to play this lot - they would score a hatful, especially Rickie against those joke CBs. Vestergaard is typical of the CB type and quality he destroyed in the Championship.

I’ve been saying this for seasons... there are so many good players at reasonable prices out there - we don’t have to spend £20m per player to get one. Look in the 2nd tier leagues there’s plenty who can make a step up.

Our problem has been the recruitment for a long time. Hopefully wee Ross wasn’t the problem and perhaps now his shackles are off...

Finally a glimmer of hope from today’s game! Just watching the Liverpool game got me thinking about Lallana and clyne who haven’t had a look in this season (clynes first start today) Lallana would suit our new style and Clyne is far better than Cedric who looks like he’d leave at the first opportunity.

Obviously Spider-Man is wasted at Everton but don’t think he has the legs for this system

Weird.

Southampton eye Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli as they prepare for possible exit of Alex McCarthy: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6508897/Southampton-eye-Fulhams-Marcus-Bettinelli-prepare-possible-exit-Alex-McCarthy.html

Not that weird. If we got a load of money for him then I'd sell to finance other signings. It's our strongest position and I don't think he's that great anyway.

Weird.

Southampton eye Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli as they prepare for possible exit of Alex McCarthy: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6508897/Southampton-eye-Fulhams-Marcus-Bettinelli-prepare-possible-exit-Alex-McCarthy.html

Who makes this stuff up. We've clearly already identified successor to McCarthy and signed him. We also have Harry Lewis and Desparate Dan on our books. Suggest the Mail are doing their usual and making things up.

Weird.

If we have to sell players in order to fund player purchases, and if Gunn is good as many think he is, then I can see the club cashing in on McCarthy and making Gunn the number one, but surely there are other priorities in the club besides another back up keeper, especially if we can’t get rid of Forster.

Not that weird. If we got a load of money for him then I'd sell to finance other signings. It's our strongest position and I don't think he's that great anyway.

Agree - though I don't know who realistically would sign him. None of the big boys need a keeper, unless they want an expensive English back up for home grown quota.

Personally feel £30m is nowhere near enough.

Player of huge potential, hence linked with PSG (and City last year).

When you think of players we have paid nearly £20m for and what some players have cost in recent times then I think £40m would be more realistic.

Personally feel £30m is nowhere near enough.

Player of huge potential, hence linked with PSG (and City last year).

When you think of players we have paid nearly £20m for and what some players have cost in recent times then I think £40m would be more realistic.

If PSG want him then we can slap on another £20m as an "oil fee", not like they can't afford it.

No point selling him in January, his two managers here have been useless for him, he'll show his full potential under Ralph IMO and we'll be able to command an even bigger fee.

We need to ship players out because we don't have room in the 25 man squad, there are many more I'd move on ahead of Lemina.

No point selling him in January, his two managers here have been useless for him, he'll show his full potential under Ralph IMO and we'll be able to command an even bigger fee.

We need to ship players out because we don't have room in the 25 man squad, there are many more I'd move on ahead of Lemina.

I think we'd all agree problem is no one wants our **** players we will only get offers for the good ones and we all know what the club gets like when they smell profit.

Lemina is top class and as I said (and was shot down for) a year ago, he’d get in any team in the PL, other than maybe city. We need him this year.

That being said, if we do sell him, I’d be doing what I could to bring back Wanyama, who’d suit our new style perfectly imo

Here we go again, fake press stories aimed at destabilising our club just when we might be getting our act together. Lots of nasty, spiteful people in the football media who probably hate us for what we did to one of their precious clubs on Saturday in the full TV spotlight beamed around the world.

Having landed a big fish manager in the form of Ralph Hasenhüttl the last thing the club would do now is pull the rug out from under his feet by selling any of our best players.

Lemina is top class and as I said (and was shot down for) a year ago, he’d get in any team in the PL, other than maybe city. We need him this year.

That being said, if we do sell him, I’d be doing what I could to bring back Wanyama, who’d suit our new style perfectly imo

Capable of being top class. Not the same.