The Pre-January Transfer Window Thread

Saint Garrett

Ryan Shawcross anyone? Saw him play for Stoke on Saturday and didn’t put a foot wrong (albeit against a very weak Reading offence).

Lots of PL experience, would be relatively cheap and can get a goal or two. Also far better than Hoedt.

Ummm...nope. He is horrific.

Anyone from Leipzig worth taking , Werner obv out of our league, how about the young cb, Upamecano, always gets great reviews

They are now CL regulars have ambitions at that level,and are backed financially. We've no chance of taking their key players, other than maybe a squad player who is surplus to requirements.

We will defo go for german based players who can slot straight into our Uber-press system when our austrian overlord arrives :D

Essentially if you have no endurance, no pace and cannot close down quickly you will be uber f*cked in this system from what I have read.

Going to need to shift some deadwood before we do, I reckon. Going to be interesting to see who can adapt to the new system.

Going to need to shift some deadwood before we do, I reckon. Going to be interesting to see who can adapt to the new system.

Will be interested to see who he identifies as can and cant make it as the system seems to be the star more than the players.

He may want to see if they can recall boufal as he might suit the style of forward pressing and straight into attack mode rather than the circulation and defend style.

Think Austin is done for as is Carillo.

Long may survive, not sure about JWP as his chief issue seems to be physicality and playing the killer balls which is what is needed on the turnover.

Think we will get maybe 2 in in Jan and try and ship our a couple, anymore could be too disruptive.

Will be interested to see who he identifies as can and cant make it as the system seems to be the star more than the players.

He may want to see if they can recall boufal as he might suit the style of forward pressing and straight into attack mode rather than the circulation and defend style.

Think Austin is done for as is Carillo.

Long may survive, not sure about JWP as his chief issue seems to be physicality and playing the killer balls which is what is needed on the turnover.

Think we will get maybe 2 in in Jan and try and ship our a couple, anymore could be too disruptive.

Agreed. Although I'd wager that Long is probably one of the best suited players to it.

The main thing is how quickly he can get tactical ideas across & how much extra stamina he can get into them.

Redmond, Armstrong, Moses and Ings in attack would be great actually. Suddenly a lot of pace and movement.

But I feel like we need a left footer in there somewhere for balance.

Are there any left sided forwards out there who score a few?

Who a club is willing to sell in January?!

That'll be the main problem. January signings aren't easy.

Not always true. There are sometimes Carrillo sized gems available ;)

WOuldnt be surprised to see Austin and Gabbi moved on in Jan. Austin would be a decent signing for a championship club.

and what championship club could afford austins wages?.........sorry to say hes ours until end of season then well see if he moves.

Welbeck would suit us. He's the player we want Long to be but isn't.

Wages would be huge though and I think (rightly) we're going to give Obafemi and Gallagher more chances now. People really underestimate the difference a good coach can make in developing players when there's raw talent. Pochettinno saw it in Gallagher, I've seen him look excellent in some loan games then too often not get a chance. Time to stop loaning out young players and replacing them with expensive flops.

Hope you are right and we will give them a go.

I think there will be interest in Austin, either from teams like Burnley or Huddesrsfield who are desperate to stay up, or from one of the many teams at the top of the championship who are looking for someone to Tony Funnell/Billy Sharpe them over the line to promotion.

Personally I think we need to move quite a lot of players in an out. Get rid of some of the deadwood - and free up some wages for some new blood.

I happily swap Gabbi, Long and Austin for one striker with pace and physicality who can hold the ball up, make the runs and score goals. Sebastian Haller maybe? Or Patrick Schick on loan? Maybe Kaspar Dohlberg?

I'd also like to see Bertrand and Cedric replaced with 2 full backs who actually give a sh*te - can defend and put some effort in. They have both been phoning it in for quite a while.

We also need to bring in another winger/attacking midfielder with pace and a leader at the back. Pione Sisto? Cahill on loan? Or maybe Andreas Christensen?

not sure about JWP as his chief issue seems to be physicality and playing the killer balls which is what is needed on the turnover..

JWP can run all day, his work rate and stamina are good, plus his passing is good, also believe that Ralph rates the value of good set piece takers as he believes they can make a huge difference in close games and it cost him in his 2nd season at Leipzig as his team was on the smaller side. So I can see him finding a role in the squad for JWP.

We also need to remember that the sort of high intensity pressing game he plays is knackering on the players, you need rotation options, especially in midfield/wide players because they have to run around like loons most of the game.

So I'd expect all our centre-mids to be here until the end of the season, it's attacking options where we look the least suited to his style, with Austin basically being broken and Gabbi for me not really fitting it, plus Long whilst on paper looks perfect, he is also terrible at football and should be nowhere near the team.

Which then leaves us with Ings, Redmond, Moe, Obafemi and Gallagher, 3 of which are currently injured I believe.

No way either full back is going either IMO.

The Times reports today that Arsenal were happy to sell in the summer and he said no, but 'will hope we come back again'.

Welbeck has only recently suffered an awful ankle break (think it was a break), unless he’s willing to significantly drop his wages i’d Stay well away

JWP can run all day, his work rate and stamina are good, plus his passing is good, also believe that Ralph rates the value of good set piece takers as he believes they can make a huge difference in close games and it cost him in his 2nd season at Leipzig as his team was on the smaller side. So I can see him finding a role in the squad for JWP.

I have heard that the new manager is indeed looking for a player like Prowse who can run all day and never mark anybody ever. Highly useful attribute when defending. NOT!

You need to separate 'don't give a ****' from poor management. They've been way off form fine but so have most. Selling our two best and most experienced full backs would be crazy, they're both excellent players. We finally have a manager to get them back on form.

We should only sell people who won't fit the system or the new manager doesn't rate. Given his knowledge of European football, I can't imagine getting rid of two respected international full backs will be a priority.

And Sisto would add another winger who doesn't score goals. I've seen him kept out the side by Boufal this season.

I can see Boufal coming back. He didn't get on with Hughes.

Doubt he would get on with someone demanding a higher workrate, dont think Germans or Austrians go in for show ponies. Try the Latin countries, not us

The 1970s called, they want their sweeping generalisations back.

Out of interest who has the better work rate; Marko Arnautovic or Luis Suarez?

Myth, he does work hard. Just usual thick English football fans don’t see it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His work ethic wasn’t the issue for me it was trying to do too much and be too clever with the ball and then being dispossessed.

Wasting decent possession by trying to be world beater, rather than keeping it simple when obvious easier options were on.

His work ethic wasn’t the issue for me it was trying to do too much and be too clever with the ball and then being dispossessed.

Wasting decent possession by trying to be world beater, rather than keeping it simple when obvious easier options were on.

That comes with the correct coaching, and not what Hughes did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squad is poor, not sure where this myth comes from that this group of players is decent or even average. I believe a decent manager can get a little more out of the current lot, but not much more.

So much deadwood, much more should have been done during the summer! We must wheel & deal a little in January to save our season and get in 3-4 players minimum- CB, CF, RB, WINGER in order of urgency. Wholesale changes needed in the summer.

Everyone up for sale in my eyes, however need to get rid of the SELL & consider selling the FENCE is how I see it. Good luck Ralph, gonna need it!

Keepers summary: Sound

MCCARTHY- Keep

GUNN- Keep & challenge

FORSTER- Sell/loan if ANY takers

What we need: n/a

Fullbacks summary: Unchallenged

CEDRIC- Sell

VALERY- Keep & challenge

BERTRAND- Keep if he wants to be here, sell if his hearts not in it

TARGETT- Fence

What we need: A right back that can defend. Sell Cedric & buy Clyne. Even if regressed, instant upgrade

Centre halfs summary: Car crash

STEPHENS- Keep & challenge

BEDNAREK- Fence

YOSHIDA- Fence

HOEDT- Sell

VESTERGAARD- Sell, been here 2 minutes but PL is just too quick for him

What we need: A stop gap at with leadership skills at worst (Cahill), at best an intermediate raw VVD style player would be the attributes required.

Central Midfield summary: Inconsistent

ARMSTRONG- Keep

LEMINA- Keep

HOJBERG- Keep

ROMEU- Fence

JWP- Fence

REED- Fence, consider recall if option

DAVIS- Free, thanks for the great service

What we need: Ok in this area, not priority unless a gem was available to displace a starter.

Wingers summary: No end product

REDMOND- Fence

SIMS- Keep, recall

ELYOUNOUSSI- Fence,

What we need: Desperate for a pacey winger with even a little end product.

Forwards summary: Chronically goal shy

INGS- Keep

OBAFEMI- Keep

GALLAGHER- Fence

GABBI- Fence

LONG- Sell

AUSTIN- Sell

What we need: Desperate for a strong, mobile & dynamic centre forward that can challenge double figures

Squad is poor, not sure where this myth comes from that this group of players is decent or even average. I believe a decent manager can get a little more out of the current lot, but not much more.

So much deadwood, much more should have been done during the summer! We must wheel & deal a little in January to save our season and get in 3-4 players minimum- CB, CF, RB, WINGER in order of urgency. Wholesale changes needed in the summer.

Everyone up for sale in my eyes, however need to get rid of the SELL & consider selling the FENCE is how I see it. Good luck Ralph, gonna need it!

Keepers summary: Sound

MCCARTHY- Keep

GUNN- Keep & challenge

FORSTER- Sell/loan if ANY takers

What we need: n/a

Fullbacks summary: Unchallenged

CEDRIC- Sell

VALERY- Keep & challenge

BERTRAND- Keep if he wants to be here, sell if his hearts not in it

TARGETT- Fence

What we need: A right back that can defend. Sell Cedric & buy Clyne. Even if regressed, instant upgrade

Centre halfs summary: Car crash

STEPHENS- Keep & challenge

BEDNAREK- Fence

YOSHIDA- Fence

HOEDT- Sell

VESTERGAARD- Sell, been here 2 minutes but PL is just too quick for him

What we need: A stop gap at with leadership skills at worst (Cahill), at best an intermediate raw VVD style player would be the attributes required.

Central Midfield summary: Inconsistent

ARMSTRONG- Keep

LEMINA- Keep

HOJBERG- Keep

ROMEU- Fence

JWP- Fence

REED- Fence, consider recall if option

DAVIS- Free, thanks for the great service

What we need: Ok in this area, not priority unless a gem was available to displace a starter.

Wingers summary: No end product

REDMOND- Fence

SIMS- Keep, recall

ELYOUNOUSSI- Fence,

What we need: Desperate for a pacey winger with even a little end product.

Forwards summary: Chronically goal shy

INGS- Keep

OBAFEMI- Keep

GALLAGHER- Fence

GABBI- Fence

LONG- Sell

AUSTIN- Sell

What we need: Desperate for a strong, mobile & dynamic centre forward that can challenge double figures

I pretty much agree with this largely decent summary, however there are a couple minor factors missed...(a) what difference can RH make on some of our current players (including loanees) and (b) there are some players that don't have what it takes regardless of the managers ideas because basically they are not able to improve more in fitness or skill.

I see potentially a big improvement in terms of goals from Redmond and also JWP if he plays the second space in the 4-2-2-2 formation. I'd actually bring back Boufal as well..........

Central defense is my worry. Cahill as a short term option isn't the worst shout!