Fantasy Scenario You Are Manager

ally_uk

Mark Hughes has been given the push:

You have been brought in by the puppets to make changes and finish minimum mid table at least,

What would you change about Southampton FC? be realistic obviously.

Formation Playing Style? Overall team mentality i.e attack the opposition play exciting football?

Would you field and develop Youth players?

Would you immediately sell players that you think do not cut the mustard. If so who would make the cut don't say the whole team haha

What players would you sign immediately that could make a impact obviously keep things realistic no stupid Ronaldo signings.

How would you scouting for future players would you change the existing model and setup?

What other changes would you bring to the table compared to how things are currently being ran.

Let's get a quality discussion going as I love to hear your viewpoints.

I think the first take would be to try and placate the fans, I'm not sure they'd take too kindly to a French grapefruit being announced as manager...

Batman will have already created a 'PAMPLEMOUSSE OUT' thread so I'd have to try and create a couple of fake accounts of here and propagate some fake news.

On the playing side, tactically there isn't too much I would change. The midfield and attack is fine, but defensively we need solidifying. I'd allow Hoedt and Vestergaard to form a partnership, but if it wasn't working out I'd sign a central defender as a priority. Clearly mentality is an issue, so perhaps a psychologist would be needed to try and raise their confidence levels.

Get rid of some of the deadwood - Stephens, Gallagher (on loan perhaps), Davis etc.

Scouting wise, I'd target more English players from the Championship. It worked quite well, signing the likes of Clyne and Rodriguez, so that would be my main transfer strategy, alongside trying to bring through existing players in the youth team, and go for quality over quantity approach.

The real issue though is the board, and that's something beyond the control of any manager, so I'm not sure it would be possible to insist upon mass changes being made upstairs.

I'd buy that championship manager and then use it to buy all the players that run around loads and are really fast, i'd also buy some big center backs who can "GET IT FORWARD" and a centre midfielder that can "GET INTO IM".

I'd also make sure they were all English players from the lower leagues and play 442.

Ultimately we'd go down rock bottom but the majority of our fans wouldn't care because it's what they're always screaming for and they can't be wrong.

We have too many average players so may be better to work on a core 17 odd senior players and get rid of the rest to be topped up with promising younger players.

Sell (assuming anyone will take them): Forster (massive wage saving), Long (not good enough, probably high wages), Davis (not in best team, high salary), Austin (not convinced good or mobile enough), Stephens (not good enough, no longer that young), possibly Romeu and Ward-Prowse as both have done little last couple of years. Would be a shame on JWP but cant work out what position he's especially good in.

I'd want to have a go with Boufal, obviously a game changer on his day, but whether he can do it consistently is a big if.

Get Gabbiadini more involved. Other than that I think the team we're playing most weeks with Hojbjerg, Lemina, Redmond, Ings etc with the back 4 is our strongest team with the current players. I'd give Gallagher a few games off the bench if we want to go a bit more direct - could work well infront of Ings.

Signings - agreed that we should be looking at Championship again.

You have been brought in by the puppets to make changes and finish minimum mid table at least,

Formation Playing Style? Overall team mentality i.e attack the opposition play exciting football?

Would you immediately sell players that you think do not cut the mustard. If so who would make the cut don't say the whole team haha

What players would you sign immediately that could make a impact obviously keep things realistic no stupid Ronaldo signings.

How would you scouting for future players would you change the existing model and setup?

What other changes would you bring to the table compared to how things are currently being ran.

Are you Les Reed ;)

Can we get Bas Dost in?

Press Statement : thesaintinwinchester appointed Saints manager on 5 year contract, promises return to glory days.

"I'm honoured, as a lifelong saints fan, to have been given this opportunity to manage this great club. When I was a lad, there was a policy called "The Southampton Way". Some of you may have thought that meant hiring cheap foreign managers on a long contract and then firing them after 12 months, but no, it's about using our renowned academy to produce the finest talent around and supplementing them by committed players who are keen to prove themselves while at Southampton.

In the short term we will use the resources currently at our disposal. The previous manager has inexplicably discarded some players who I am keen to bring back to the playing fold. We will also look at high performers at a lower level and give them the chance to prove themselves in the Premier League. We will aim to become the fittest squad of players, we will focus on ball skills rather than cone management. We will become a centre of excellence that young players will want to represent, rather than send off on loan or sell off.

I want you to be proud of our club once again. We will take this journey together. I want as many as possible to share this experience, so today I am authorising the extension of our stadium to 50,000 and reducing the price of tickets to a manageable £25. Stadium facilities will be improved, there will be quality entertainment from an hour before kick off including a popular choice of music as the team comes out. You will be proud to be fans of this great club once more. Let's get ready to ruuuummmmmbbbblllleeeee !!!

Press Statement : thesaintinwinchester appointed Saints manager on 5 year contract, promises return to glory days.

"I'm honoured, as a lifelong saints fan, to have been given this opportunity to manage this great club. When I was a lad, there was a policy called "The Southampton Way". Some of you may have thought that meant hiring cheap foreign managers on a long contract and then firing them after 12 months, but no, it's about using our renowned academy to produce the finest talent around and supplementing them by committed players who are keen to prove themselves while at Southampton.

In the short term we will use the resources currently at our disposal. The previous manager has inexplicably discarded some players who I am keen to bring back to the playing fold. We will also look at high performers at a lower level and give them the chance to prove themselves in the Premier League. We will aim to become the fittest squad of players, we will focus on ball skills rather than cone management. We will become a centre of excellence that young players will want to represent, rather than send off on loan or sell off.

I want you to be proud of our club once again. We will take this journey together. I want as many as possible to share this experience, so today I am authorising the extension of our stadium to 50,000 and reducing the price of tickets to a manageable £25. Stadium facilities will be improved, there will be quality entertainment from an hour before kick off including a popular choice of music as the team comes out. You will be proud to be fans of this great club once more. Let's get ready to ruuuummmmmbbbblllleeeee !!!

Sounds great but one question, when did we have the highlighted bit? 76?

I'd make sure I was signed up on a bloody good contract first, from my own perspective, so that when the puppets eventually sack me I'd be set up for life (but then I doubt they'd employ me because of this).

My first thing to do would be to take all the team to a quiet hotel somewhere for a few days without warning them, puppets not invited or told, take all their smartphones and throw them in a pond. Then spend a couple of days getting to know and understand them, and hopefully come back with the start of a genuine team that want to play for each other, and work on getting rid of those who want no part of it asap.

I'd do what Cortese did: meticulously analyse how other clubs have achieved success recently. He and his team went round Europe doing that before putting together their action plan together here. In England, Wolves is one I'd take a close look at. They have recruited from Portugal, which arguably has the best value league to buy from at the moment, and I notice that Forest have started to copy them. Building a relationship with one of the top agents in Europe is another thing that's helped them. I've also been impressed by what Wigan have achieved in the last couple of years. They have some good players, like Nick Powell, we should consider buying. But, Cortese analysed a lot of clubs, not just one or two, although what he saw at Barcelona heavily influenced his plans for our Academy.

First day I’d offer John Terry the asset managers job.

We need a 2 or 3 leaders, we’re a team of son in laws. Look at our experienced guys Bertrand, OR, Davo, Cedric, Yoshida, they’re all bank employees, even Shane Long is a nice boy.

Last season we had a thread regarding who we’d buy when relegated. Troy Deeney & Shawcross were my picks. Deeney struggled to get a game at Watford most of last season, his form this, makes that an impossible move, but does prove someone like him can make a difference. There’s a danger of a Ricky Lambert cliche, but surely there’s someone in the Championship worth a punt to play alongside Ings. Then there’s centre half, we clearly need an ugly brute to shake a few up, ours as well as there’s. We clearly need more creativity in the midfield, but that’s hard to find and expensive, surely finding a couple of cloggers to get stuck in must surely be the easiest thing to find in English football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Disconnect

I agree with everything you have said including player sales. Never rated Austin he is bang average, unfit offers nothing. Davis, Fraser, Long,Hoedt, are a few I would flog.

As many have mentioned I would be going for highly rated, English championship talent and buying up the best of the best.

The real question is why are we quite content for lower table mediocraty? Hughes is a step up from pelligrino but only barely, there seems to be no ambition to get a proven manager capable of pushing us back to the poch level

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The real question is why are we quite content for lower table mediocraty? Hughes is a step up from pelligrino but only barely, there seems to be no ambition to get a proven manager capable of pushing us back to the poch level

Surely if we want a Poch clone it will be someone unknown not proven? Any "Proven" manager capable of taking the current squad of clowns to the next level ( if such a manager even exists) probably wouldn't be interested in managing us in the first place.

Surely if we want a Poch clone it will be someone unknown not proven? Any "Proven" manager capable of taking the current squad of clowns to the next level ( if such a manager even exists) probably wouldn't be interested in managing us in the first place.
That is true, although koeman was somewhat proven when he arrived though obviously not in the premier League

Would have bought Pontus Janssen instead of Hoedt for starters
Interesting tactic but not sure it would help much[emoji2][emoji2]

'Meet Pontus Janssen, a man who spends his days balancing rocks in all sorts of odd configurations. Watch as he creates some pretty spectacular rock stacks that seems to defy gravity."

Finishing a minimum of mid table or above with our squad and resources probably means doing a Puel and keeping us boring as hell but hard to beat. That went really well with the fans last time, I'd try that again.

At end of the season, assuming we’re still in the PL:

Hierarchy clear out - FK, Ralph, Gao, Reed and Wilson with his team of nerds on Apple Macs out.

In - Attacking, high pressing manager; break the bank for Roger Schmidt. Back him.

Average, poor and aging players out - Long, Lemina, Davis, Forster, Hoedt, Redmond, Austin out.

Target 4-5 top quality 20-30m players and go balls out rebuilding the spine. 2 new centre halves, try and get Wanyama and/or Schneiderlin back and look for a Mane-esque frontman. Compliment this with 2-3 promising youth players and existing squad.

Contact existing season ticket holders and apologise sincerely for the last 3-4 years. Offer them 100 quid off as an apology if they renew.

Start to create a buzz, vibe around the club without w4nky cartoons or half-assed promotional material.

Allow the manager to implement his style throughout the club: 4-2-4 high octane, exciting, pressing football. Start to be ‘the real deal’ and match the words with performances. No more empty platitudes or ‘knowing our level’.

Give licence to the players, manager and fans to write a new chapter in history. Just.... go for it, every game.

Edited by Crab Lungs