Wolves 2 Saints 0 - Match & Meltdown Thread

Shroppie

What an uninspiring team and coaching staff we have. Players not fit, unmotivated, lacking the basic principals of pass and move, no creativity and a defence that you know will eventually capitulate. A recipe to guarantee a long hard season fighting relegation with few if any high spots. All the good work from the days of Pochetino thrown away and we are now just another poor team lacking imagination and unable to entertain. We have gone back 20 years due to appointing a succession of poor managers. What is going on?

Yep, but it feels like the club is rotten from top to bottom. We have gone from being one of the model clubs in Europe to being a basket case. Depressing.

Never thought I would say this but Hughes is worse, much worse, than Pellegrino.

Too early to make that call. Hughes now (after 3 awful defensive showings) has the opportunity to see the current setup isn't working and make changes.

If he does that, he's already an improvement on Pellegrino.

What an uninspiring team and coaching staff we have. Players not fit, unmotivated, lacking the basic principals of pass and move, no creativity and a defence that you know will eventually capitulate. A recipe to guarantee a long hard season fighting relegation with few if any high spots. All the good work from the days of Pochetino thrown away and we are now just another poor team lacking imagination and unable to entertain. We have gone back 20 years due to appointing a succession of poor managers. What is going on?

We've turned into the new Stoke: no fighting spirit, shambolic defence with 2 big, useless lumps in the middle of it, with our ambition largely limited to trying scrape home draws and keep the score down to less than 4 in away games.

Well I was wrong. I predicted they would boss it 1st half but they didn't.

However, the result was predicted... the only silver lining is a few quid in my pocket.

I stand by what I said pre match.

I would be quite happy to go down - we could then have a proper clear out which includes Reed, and maybe find a young, thirsty, energetic, forward thinking manager who believes in attacking and scoring.

And yes, we had 6 shots on target but not a single one genuinely troubled their keeper.

The current set up is sterile, tired and out of ideas.

Over the 39 years I've been watching games I've never felt so disullusioned with the club.

And I' debated whether to renew my ST in the summer and I did - I'm regretting that right now because I know I've got a 2hr drive every home game to watch that shower of shiiite for the rest of the season.

Based on the first 7 games and weighting for the single game against a "top 6" side, we are to date, 1 point behind the number to reach 36 points.

That is relegation form. The table is disguising how bad our position is. The upcoming next games into December are much tougher than what we have had so far.

Chelsea

Bournemouth

Newcastle United

Manchester City

Watford

Fulham

Manchester United

Tottenham Hotspur

Only 4 winnable and we require 9+ points to get back on track.

We didn't go down though, so I was right, again.

Hey, that's my line...

This mess has not happened overnight and you cannot simply blame the manager. The signs of our decline, although subtle, were there two or three years ago. Our decline has been gradual but if not stopped now could pick up speed and end very dramatically.

You can't lay the blame on Hughes totally he has said its a work in progress because thats what it is, some players we have are just not good enough at this level and the board/owners willl not stick out there necks to buy the quality we need and would rather spend the money elsewhere on daft pre match pryrotechnic displays etc so there it is.........

Thought we played ok today and bossed the game in long periods restricting Wolves flow, we should of taken the chances we had but again lacked the quality we've been missing in the final third, a couple of dreadful errors at the back have cost us much the same as other games we've dropped points this season so far, we MUST start Yoshida at the back with 3 CB's

it will a battle to stay up with the players we have much like last season but i think Hughes is better equipped than Pellegrino was and he proved that at the end of last season by keeping us up, we must target the games to get the points we need and today it was a missed opportunity

Hey, that's my line...

This mess has not happened overnight and you cannot simply blame the manager. The signs of our decline, although subtle, were there two or three years ago. Our decline has been gradual but if not stopped now could pick up speed and end very dramatically.

It needed more of a clear out than that which happened.

Why do people persist in saying we keep dropping points to teams that are there for the taking. If there is one team in the Premier League that is there for the taking week in week out it is us. Teams like Wolves and Leicester don't need to do anything particularly clever to beat us. We are by far one of the worst teams in our league and opposition managers must rub their hands at the prospect of playing us knowing an easy three points is the likely outcome.

Well I was wrong. I predicted they would boss it 1st half but they didn't.

However, the result was predicted... the only silver lining is a few quid in my pocket.

The current set up is sterile, tired and out of ideas.

Over the 39 years I've been watching games I've never felt so disullusioned with the club.

And I' debated whether to renew my ST in the summer and I did - I'm regretting that right now because I know I've got a 2hr drive every home game to watch that shower of shiiite for the rest of the season.

Ditto

I worried about the amount of times Armstrong gave the ball away when I watched him at Celtic. He got away with it up there because Troare doesn't play for St Mirren, but agaosnt decent teams it is a problem. As for the 2nd goal, the worst attempt at defending since Van Gobbel at Elm Park! I can see why he hasn't featured much.

We had the game safe until then. Obviously it helps Wolves having that pace in the squad, let alone on the bench, but we were bossing the midfeild and creating most chances until that break away goal.

Cedric M.O.M for me, some great defending.

Why do people persist in saying we keep dropping points to teams that are there for the taking. If there is one team in the Premier League that is there for the taking week in week out it is us. Teams like Wolves and Leicester don't need to do anything particularly clever to beat us. We are by far one of the worst teams in our league and opposition managers must rub their hands at the prospect of playing us knowing an easy three points is the likely outcome.

Well, we are probably on a lot more teams 'must win' list than 4 or 5 years ago, that'd for sure.

We could do with a confidence booster. That Brighton equaliser is haunting us.

I worried about the amount of times Armstrong gave the ball away when I watched him at Celtic. He got away with it up there because Troare doesn't play for St Mirren, but agaosnt decent teams it is a problem. As for the 2nd goal, the worst attempt at defending since Van Gobbel at Elm Park! I can see why he hasn't featured much.

We had the game safe until then. Obviously it helps Wolves having that pace in the squad, let alone on the bench, but we were bossing the midfeild and creating most chances until that break away goal.

Cedric M.O.M for me, some great defending.

We really weren't. Would be interested to see the xG from today's game, but I'd be surprised if it was higher than 0.5. Just because we had the ball for a while and got near their penalty area doesn't mean we were creating chances. If that was the case then Wolves would have been 3-0 up at Half Time - and Wolves weren't particularly good at any point during the game. At no time were we 'bossing' the game - sure, we were the better team in patches, but it was not dominant or convincing, we were hardly queuing up in front of their goal.

The commentary had Wolves apparently lacklustre and off the pace for much of the match, so we should be thankful that they weren't on their game, or we could have been really thumped. Or could it be that apart from the opening 15 minutes, we actually played pretty well ourselves. For that period until the last 15 minutes, we kept possession and passed the ball well between us, frustrating them. We were winning most of the 50/50 balls in the middle of the pitch and they didn't pose much of a threat until late on in the game. We had our chances, but hit balls straight at their keeper, or wide.

Ultimately though, I think that it was the depth of quality that they had on the substitutes bench that tipped the balance in their favour, their pace and directness exposing the weakness of our defence. Our full backs played well today, Bertrand solid and Cedric making some very good interceptions. But in the middle of defence, we have Vestergaad who is slow and Hoidt who is also not the paciest and prone to errors. What is the problem with playing five at the back, at least for away matches? What exactly has Yoshida done wrong to not be given a place in the starting line-up with his experience, pace and ability?

I can't help but feel that we are missing Tadic. Redmond ahead of Bertrand doesn't work anywhere nearly as well and Elyounoussi ahead of Cedric doesn't have the guile that Tadic had. Redmond was back to his frustrating self, dribbling into blind alleys and losing the ball too often. Hojbjerg had another decent game, although picked up by the commentators for another suspected dive to win a free kick, but at least not in the box. Lemina had a poor game again, and lacks consistency.

I suspect that the lack of change in the players selected more recently could be because Hughes is trying to get a settled team who will grow better from playing together, but we are ponderous and slow up top, lack real leadership in midfield, and weak and disorganised in defence.

However, McCarthy is proving to be an excellent goalkeeper and produced a World class save to ensure that it wasn't 3-0. Keep McCarthy and build from him upwards.

We really weren't. Would be interested to see the xG from today's game, but I'd be surprised if it was higher than 0.5. Just because we had the ball for a while and got near their penalty area doesn't mean we were creating chances. If that was the case then Wolves would have been 3-0 up at Half Time - and Wolves weren't particularly good at any point during the game. At no time were we 'bossing' the game - sure, we were the better team in patches, but it was not dominant or convincing, we were hardly queuing up in front of their goal.

You are right , it was more half chances, but Wolves created nothing in the 2nd half until the goal. I was happy at that point as I was expecting them to pull us all over the place.

Fair comments from Wes, but lots of people seem to be commenting about the chances we created... I don't remember too many clear cut ones, or even sustained spells of pressure - ones where the defender gets a crucial interception or the cross just eludes the striker etc - but I CAN remember a few from Wolves, certainly in the first half. I don't think I'm being glass-half-empty with that view, but maybe I am.

In my book, we did ok. If Wolves didn't play well, maybe that's partly down to us. But our side is prone to individual mistakes and being sloppy at the back, whether that's a product of the players or the manager. Perhaps we deserved a point from today, but it was by no means daylight robbery. At half time I thought I could see both teams scoring, but probably more them than us. We improved in the second half, but I never really felt we were looking dangerous.

Based on the first 7 games and weighting for the single game against a "top 6" side, we are to date, 1 point behind the number to reach 36 points.

That is relegation form. The table is disguising how bad our position is. The upcoming next games into December are much tougher than what we have had so far.

Chelsea

Bournemouth

Newcastle United

Manchester City

Watford

Fulham

Manchester United

Tottenham Hotspur

Are you including Manchester United among the winnable games? That makes five, unless Watford going like a train is one we'll surely lose.

Interesting. Could you develop that statement further?

On the basis that a lot of players did not play well enough to keep us out of a relegation fight, we should have expected a lot of departures from people who had been given chances at starting and failed. Also each year players age and a normal turnover would expect players to retire or go down into lower leagues.

I can think of 3 that were "starters" during the season for a reasonable amount of games, that are not here this season.

Tadic = 34 games and he was wanted elsewhere

Boufal = 11 games and clearly unhappy with us and vice versa.

Carillo = 5 games and no goals, a failure and waste of money.

and that is it. We are left with a squad full of players that are aging and who got used to losing and lack a winning mentality. That is why it needed a larger clear out.

Are you including Manchester United among the winnable games? That makes five, unless Watford going like a train is one we'll surely lose.

You are hopeful. I have not counted Manu in but we can always live in hope! Watford do look an optimistic win (for us).

Fair comments from Wes, but lots of people seem to be commenting about the chances we created... I don't remember too many clear cut ones, or even sustained spells of pressure - ones where the defender gets a crucial interception or the cross just eludes the striker etc - but I CAN remember a few from Wolves, certainly in the first half. I don't think I'm being glass-half-empty with that view, but maybe I am.

In my book, we did ok. If Wolves didn't play well, maybe that's partly down to us. But our side is prone to individual mistakes and being sloppy at the back, whether that's a product of the players or the manager. Perhaps we deserved a point from today, but it was by no means daylight robbery. At half time I thought I could see both teams scoring, but probably more them than us. We improved in the second half, but I never really felt we were looking dangerous.

Absolutely this. On balance of chances created, Wolves were as far ahead as they eventually were on chances scored. We had a couple of decent spells of possession, but it was mostly huff and puff, while Wolves seemed to be able to march through the middle of the pitch more or less at will for most of the game.

People keep calling back to the Palace game as a good performance, but it really wasn't. We got a couple of goals against the run of play, but once again, aside from a world-class save from McCarthy just before the second, that game winds up another mediocre draw.

The team's got no identity, almost no quality, and a manager who consistently makes the wrong decisions with both lineups and substitutions. Dire.

JWP play or did we not create any clear cut chances again?

Ploddy was not even on the bench. Good times. Also Davis not used. Hughes has two pointless pieces of rubbish that he can't even use.

Thanks to amateur Reed he hasn't got Sims or a,n. other to choose from. Wolves did have a bench. Thanks Les Reed.

Chelsea

Bournemouth

Newcastle United

Manchester City

Watford

Fulham

Manchester United

Tottenham Hotspur

All these teams are better than us (Newcastle debatable), some by a wide margin.

I don't see 4 winnable games here at all. Can't honestly see more than played 15, points 10 at the end of this run....

Ploddy was not even on the bench. Good times. Also Davis not used. Hughes has two pointless pieces of rubbish that he can't even use.

Thanks to amateur Reed he hasn't got Sims or a,n. other to choose from. Wolves did have a bench. Thanks Les Reed.

Why say good times? 98 mins played, still the 2nd most creative player for us even though Redmond and Moi have had 7 apps ( 8 if you include the cup ) and has more clear cut chances than both put together.. same team week in week out, bad performance still got 0 clear cut chances made since Everton game and JWP still cant get a game LOL.

But its ok, cause Redmond can dribble. This is the best comment ive found from sky LOL " 32: After a delay for some pushing and shoving, Southampton take the corner short and, well, they make a complete and utter pig's ear of it " OMG the match report is full of stuff like this LOL " 44: Oh my word! Elyounoussi takes one of the worst corners you'll see. He drifts the ball behind well before it even gets close to the front post bizarre. "

:mcinnes:

And JWP cant even get on the pitch. Least he can put a ball in / cross / make a clear cut chances to put the ball in the back of the net.