Hughes OUT

Batman

The mirror are running an 'exclusive' that says hes gone if we fail to win on Saturday, also say Fat Sam and Moyes are top of the replacement list..... [emoji38]
It'd be funny if it wasn't so predictably tragic.

We're fully embracing the "knows the league, do a job" manager merry-go-round that served Sunderland and Villa so well as they meandered their way out of the league.

We know how it ends but appear to be doing it anyway.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The mirror are running an 'exclusive' that says hes gone if we fail to win on Saturday, also say Fat Sam and Moyes are top of the replacement list..... :lol:

It also refers to our previous manager as Mauricio Pellegrini.

Next Manager odds ( per Paddy Power)

Moyes 7/2

Allardyce 6

Rodgers 7

Martin O'Neill 7

Pardew 10

Michael O'Neill 10

Martinez 12

Van Gaal 12

Strachan 16

Hiddink 20

Klinsmann 20

Pearson 20

Bilic 20

Bruce 20

Howe 33

de Boer 33

Lampard 33

Monk 33

Redknapp 33 :mcinnes:

Benitez 33

Dyche 33

Pahars 66

Gerrard 66

MLT 100

This list is dire. If that’s who we’d be selecting from then just bite the bullet and let us go down.

Howe won’t come.

De Boer sadly shot himself in the foot at Palace but does play 3 at the back. Maybe Les wants a change in the Southampton way to 343?

Express also with an 'exclusive' :

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1041314/Southampton-EXCLUSIVE-Mark-Hughes-could-be-sacked-Saturday

Both articles include reference to Jardim:

IF he was high on our wishlist why haven't we snared him by now. Either the article(s) are crap with no substance, or Reed is dithering again. Probably both are true.

I’m impressed that Tony Banks is able to write the same “exclusive” for two different papers.

Next Manager odds ( per Paddy Power)

Moyes 7/2

Allardyce 6

Rodgers 7

Martin O'Neill 7

Pardew 10

Michael O'Neill 10

Martinez 12

Van Gaal 12

Strachan 16

Hiddink 20

Klinsmann 20

Pearson 20

Bilic 20

Bruce 20

Howe 33

de Boer 33

Lampard 33

Monk 33

Redknapp 33 :mcinnes:

Benitez 33

Dyche 33

Pahars 66

Gerrard 66

MLT 100

With the slight possible exception of Rodgers, that top 5 looks bloody grim! Ok Moyes might have the stigma of the Man U poison chalice hanging around (bizarrely he was binned with a far better win ratio than his successors had after the same number of games).

Pearson could be interesting but then is he tucked up nice and tight in Belgium on King Power money, think Billic will have probably learned where it went wrong at West Ham.

Either way if the trigger is pulled, I think the bunch of stumble bums currently getting a game need someone not scared of kicking some backsides to get them fired up and performing.

Edited by John Boy Saint
bloody applemakeyoulookatitautocorrect!!

I’m impressed that Tony Banks is able to write the same “exclusive” for two different papers.
Mirror, Express and Star all part of the same stable now and sharing copy/stories left right and centre. Doesn't make that story any less true (or not true) of course.

Which I said from the very beginning, in March. No-one wanted to listen then, and thought I had a personal vendetta against him.

I think a number of us "predicted" Hughes to fail....

Next manager will flop too.

Nothing will change while we have the same incompetent board and player recruitment failures.

You can keep changing the drivers but while the car is ****ed.... We are ****ed

Fat Sam and Moyes is about as good as it gets

Les Reed’s legacy

A piece on Hughes from Etherington saying that Hughes is very unapproachable and barely coaches a side.

I think I put on here how he doesn't ever go and watch or visit the youth team, they get sundays off (including this sunday just gone lol) and I was told at the same time leaves the coaching to others. The last bit is not unusual I would have thought as Lawrie didnt coach, Mourinho alos and many others the same

Its amazing that the team that played such sparkling and exciting football in the League cup final only 18months or so ago are still all at the club (except Tadic)

Hughes has managed to make us look half decent in a couple games.

Nothing new here - lets not forget those games against Watford, Hull, Palace, Spurs, WBA, Everton, Burnley, Man City, Stoke ect ect that same season.

I'd have BFS over Moyes any day of the week. I think he'd get the best out the squad, and add a bit of steel and resilience. I don't get these "hands-off" managers, surely that is what you'd want to be as a manager. Having a direct impact/influence on ho your team performs.

Hughes has managed to make us look half decent in a couple games.

Nothing new here - lets not forget those games against Watford, Hull, Palace, Spurs, WBA, Everton, Burnley, Man City, Stoke ect ect that same season.

did we not spank Everton at SMS that time? Josh Sims made his entrance in that game.

If you took 50 goals out of any of the top teams without replacing them your team would look dour and unproductive. The fact is we played some wonderful football and a journalist on Sunday Supplement only recently said it was the best cup final he could remember for a longtime. So the tools were there but given time they would have been sharpened and improved on, but no we had to get rid.

Mirror has Hughes for the sack, if he doesn't beat Watford!!!

But it's suggesting either Moyes or Allardyce for the job. What is it with 'failed' managers just cyling like this? If we appoint one of those two after Hughes then we have quite clearly lost any direction or plan that we once had.

Hughes, Moyes, Lambert, Allardyce. Round and round we go....

I presume this is a misprint, as Mata doesn't play for us.

14:33LEMINA: WE'RE FULLY BEHIND MATA

Mario Lemina insists the entire Southampton squad is fully behind under-fire manager Mark Hughes. The Saints boss has come under intense scrutiny after overseeing an eight-game winless run that has left the club just a point clear of the relegation zone. "We are all behind him," the midfielder told Sky Sports. "All of the players trust in him and believe in him. "This kind of game cannot affect us because we are strong as a team. Now we have to win games to change the opinion of the fans, everyone.

"We have to come back because we don't deserve to be in this place in the table because we had some good games.

"We just need to score some goals to be in the other part of the table. We just need to be a little bit lucky, at the moment we are not."

Don't think is anything to do with luck, Mario. And "we're all behind him" - guess that means hiding behind him. :mcinnes:

I presume this is a misprint, as Mata doesn't play for us.

14:33LEMINA: WE'RE FULLY BEHIND MATA

Mario Lemina insists the entire Southampton squad is fully behind under-fire manager Mark Hughes. The Saints boss has come under intense scrutiny after overseeing an eight-game winless run that has left the club just a point clear of the relegation zone. "We are all behind him," the midfielder told Sky Sports. "All of the players trust in him and believe in him. "This kind of game cannot affect us because we are strong as a team. Now we have to win games to change the opinion of the fans, everyone.

"We have to come back because we don't deserve to be in this place in the table because we had some good games.

"We just need to score some goals to be in the other part of the table. We just need to be a little bit lucky, at the moment we are not."

Don't think is anything to do with luck, Mario. And "we're all behind him" - guess that means hiding behind him. :mcinnes:

"We are strong as a team" hahahahaha

You've turned out to be right but his keeping us up and his past record of success at several clubs meant you were too early in calling for him to go

I was calling for him not to be here before he joined because of exactly what we're seeing now.

He didn't really keep us up, he kept us on the same trajectory, we still finished 17th. The only reason we stayed up was due to Swansea and Stoke being beyond awful.

I was calling for him not to be here before he joined because of exactly what we're seeing now.

He didn't really keep us up, he kept us on the same trajectory, we still finished 17th. The only reason we stayed up was due to Swansea and Stoke being beyond awful.

Don't agree with you on the other thread but right with you on this one. Swansea kept us up.

Don't agree with you on the other thread but right with you on this one. Swansea kept us up.
that's a tad unfair. We beat Bournemouth, and went to Swansea and deservedly beat them on their own turf.

We were also very unfortunate not to have won at Everton.Be unhappy but dont rewrite history

Stoke were awful because they sacked Hughes, they only won twice after he left.

Shame that the usual old names get banded about and we will no doubt go with one of the safe boring options. As one of my favourite all time Saints players and as manager of the team who are playing my hometown team in the cup at the weekend, I would love to see Tim Flowers at least have some connection with Saints, whether it be as goalkeeping coach or even as manager, just my personal opinion. Yes, I know it is a huge difference and he has only managed Solihull Moors for five months but they are flying high near the top of the National League having struggled the last couple of years.

I would much prefer someone with a great track record who is an up and coming manager with fresh ideas and a modern way of thinking. Someone like Chris Wilder has a fantastic record wherever he has been, the problem is why would he want to leave his boyhood club who are flying high to come to Saints...probably unlikely. Paul Cook has done a great job in his last two or three management roles...yes I know who he managed but he comes across as a good bloke who will also stand up for himself too.

I really like Eddie Howe, think he is very impressive but I just cannot see why he would want to leave Bournemouth to join us right now - whether people like it or not, they are a better side than us right now.

The other option is to go for an out and out madman like Paulo Di Canio....he would at least kick some backsides in the Saints dressing room although they would no doubt take only five minutes to stop playing for him, so precious are players today!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are young managers in the lower leagues who are out there and deserve to be given a chance rather than the same old failures who get job after job but everyone wonders how! Of all the market leaders, the main ones who appeal to me are Frank De Boer (harsh to judge him on four games at Palace) and Jurgen Klinnsman but they are probably too big for Saints realistically when it comes to our board's ambition (or lack of). I do think the next appointment needs to play attractive attacking football though and try and get the feel good factor back into the club and most of all the fans and players and maybe he needs to identify the players we need, rather than someone like Les Reed!

Mirror has Hughes for the sack, if he doesn't beat Watford!!!

I always find those sort of press stories odd. Surely the club know if they want him to stay or not? What if he wins the Watford game and loses the next five? If the club really do make decisions based on the outcome of one game they may as well just flip a coin...then again maybe they do...it would certainly explain the last couple of years.

I'm not buying this story, would be far too quick and decisive for Les Reed and pals. No doubt we'll stumble along down the bottom until January, they'll screw up the transfer window and then sack Hughes as a last resort in Feb/March.

That IS our usual modus operandi, yes. When all hope is gone and too late for anyone to effect change, we sack the incumbent and expect the incoming to perform a miracle.

I'm not buying this story, would be far too quick and decisive for Les Reed and pals. No doubt we'll stumble along down the bottom until January, they'll screw up the transfer window and then sack Hughes as a last resort in Feb/March.

It feels like we could be in for some serious déjà vu over the upcoming weeks. I’m expecting Jeremy Wilson to author an article in the Telegraph, that will express the club’s disappointment and concern at its present predicament, but will ultimately dump cold water on the idea of them doing anything decisive anytime soon.

Fat Sam and Moyes is about as good as it gets

Les Reed’s legacy

A piece on Hughes from Etherington saying that Hughes is very unapproachable and barely coaches a side.

Etherington was on the radio weeks ago saying the same thing but stating he nor the players had an issue as it worked well because his coaches did all that.

Which I said from the very beginning, in March. No-one wanted to listen then, and thought I had a personal vendetta against him.

I have been told this. Hughes doesn’t talk to the players at all, does little to no coaching and is very difficult to tie down. Anyone who wants to get near him has to go through the two coaches he brought in and even then it’s hard to get to him. He uses different entrances to the players, is completely detached, makes the players wait on the coach for 2 minutes until he is off and out the way. He alienates players for no reason, has fallen out with senior players.

He’s a dinosaur, can you imagine Pep, Klopp or Poch being like that?

Sort it out Les. Now.

Would anybody be happy if we went for Lee Johnson at Bristol City?

Young, plays good football, knows the English league, shown he can set up and compete v the top 6 with a far inferior side.....

Been far worse suggestions and he'd actually probably come to us to.

That IS our usual modus operandi, yes. When all hope is gone and too late for anyone to effect change, we sack the incumbent and expect the incoming to perform a miracle.

Under current management that has happened a grand total of..... once. Hardly a pattern is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would anybody be happy if we went for Lee Johnson at Bristol City?

Young, plays good football, knows the English league, shown he can set up and compete v the top 6 with a far inferior side.....

I would be happy with Lee Johnson, yes. I would rather we went for an up and coming manager in the Championship who wants to prove himself in the Premiership, than a journeyman firefighter who has dome it before and is barely motivated.

I would be happy with Lee Johnson, yes. I would rather we went for an up and coming manager in the Championship who wants to prove himself in the Premiership, than a journeyman firefighter who has dome it before and is barely motivated.

would our prima donnas listen to him though?

Don't see any liklihood that Hughes will be sacked. There would be a huge contract payment to make and the owners are already in debt. We're lumbered with him, as we are with Forster. We used to be told top managers were lining up to come to us, no sign or rumour of anyone now

Not really sure Johnson has done enough so far to warrant a Premier League job, Bristol City are very inconsistent. Hence their mid-table position.

Johnson is not very popular with fans either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk