Hughes OUT

Batman

It’s too simplistic to try and claim statistics prove Hughes is worst than Pel was. We’d have gone down had we not replaced him with Hughes, anyone who claims otherwise is deluded. I’m not saying Hughes is particularly good, but to try and claim he’s worse than the previous bloke is just nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s too simplistic to try and claim statistics prove Hughes is worst than Pel was. We’d have gone down had we not replaced him with Hughes, anyone who claims otherwise is deluded. I’m not saying Hughes is particularly good, but to try and claim he’s worse than the previous bloke is just nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe, but it's a bit like saying half a turd is better than a full one, when it fact it's still a turd at the end of the day.

Hindsight is not the way to judge historical decisions attractive as it may be to demonstrate wisdom afterwards. Every action, every decision has a context and must be viewed in that context.

At the time most people hated the regressive style of play introduced by Puel after the exhilarating gung-ho football of the Koeman Bros.

Yes, Puel should have produced the same exhilarating gung-ho football of the Koeman Bros, considering he had the same squad as them. Well, apart from Pelle, Mane, and VW, as well as Fonte, VVD and Austin for half the season. And it's not as if he had more matches to contend with. Well, apart from the extra Thursday Europa group matches, and that exhilarating run to the Cup final.

Hughes will go eventually ....at a guess I would predict NOT until they take on a new DOF .

However the club structure is a mess we need a really strong director of football and a hard control freak manager this time.

1) The players clearly are not fit , we wilt in the last 15 mins of both halves .... we have sports science experts and pure fitnness coaches THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING.

2) We need a single minded manager with a set playing structure that he will stick too. And someone who can manage the players to perform rather than chop or change .

Dont ask me who fits this but itrs gonna be hard to find

Hindsight is not the way to judge historical decisions attractive as it may be to demonstrate wisdom afterwards. Every action, every decision has a context and must be viewed in that context.

At the time most people hated the regressive style of play introduced by Puel after the exhilarating gung-ho football of the Koeman Bros.

Hard to tell if you are being serious, but just in case, you don't really think football under Koeman was gung-ho do you? Some of Koeman's fare was turgid stuff, especially when he was trying to turn round the long winless streak in the middle of his second season. Puel's style did however take turgidity to another level.

We are a good side.....wow

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mock me (and I'm sure someone will), but if the second goal had stood on Saturday, and maybe one more, I think we'd have looked good. Confidence is utterly fragile.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

"The south-coast club's hierarchy remain happy with the 55-year-old and the squad they assembled in the summer..."

But...

"There is a consensus that they still lack the defensive leadership of Virgil van Dijk and the direct attacking pace they had in Sadio Mane - and they will look to address these areas."

How can both those comments be true?

This is a very odd dictated article from within the club. I think they will sack Hughes if we lose to Fulham anyway. I fully expect us to lose.

Only comment of interest is they are targeting a new CB in VVD and forward with pace in Mane mould. That would be cheap! Will believe that when I see it as everything else has pointed to no signings in January.

“Although there is an agreement within the club that they should have picked up at least one more win based on their performances, there is no crisis state yet at Staplewood.”

Crisis? What crisis?

“...the club intend to support him by looking for potential new additions in the January transfer market.

There is a consensus that they still lack the defensive leadership of Virgil van Dijk and the direct attacking pace they had in Sadio Mane - and they will look to address these areas.”

I’m not sure if this is consistent with Ralph Krueger’s comments about the January transfer window in his Echo interview last week.

A couple of weeks ago if this story had broken the blame would have been laid squarely at uncle Les's feet... but err he has gone now...seems like Les leaving isn't going to change much...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46171504

Good points about unbalanced prem and Hughes being worse than ever even for him !!

Koeman is the man !

Southampton's failure to beat Watford on Saturday created an unwanted club record. The 1-1 draw means the Saints have failed to win any of their first six home games in a season for the first time in the club's history.

The result also means Southampton are only out of the relegation zone on goal difference, increasing the pressure on boss Mark Hughes.

Hughes fulfilled his remit in keeping the Saints up last season, but his record of five wins from 24 games in charge means he has the worst win ratio - 20.8% - of any recent Saints manager.

How does Mark Hughes' Southampton record compare?

Manager Matches Won Drawn Lost Win ratio%

Mauricio Pochettino (2013-14) 60 23 18 19 38.33%

Ronald Koeman (2014-16) 91 44 17 30 48.35%

Claude Puel (2016-17) 53 20 13 20 37.74%

Mauricio Pellegrino (2017-18) 34 8 13 13 23.53%

Mark Hughes (2018-present) 24 5 8 11 20.8%

Not only that, it is also the worst win ratio of Hughes' managerial career.

Mark Hughes' managerial record

Team Matches Won Drawn Lost Win ratio%

Blackburn (2004-08) 188 82 47 59 43.6%

Man City (2008-09) 77 36 16 25 46.8%

Fulham (2010-11) 43 14 16 13 32.6%

QPR (2012) 34 8 6 20 23.5%

Stoke (2013-18) 200 71 48 81 35.5%

Southampton (2018-) 24 5 8 11 20.8%

The 55-year-old has won just three out of 20 Premier League games in charge, averaging 0.8 points per game. Of managers who have taken charge of 10 Premier League games or more since Hughes was appointed at St Mary's, only Slavisa Jokanovic, David Wagner and Neil Warnock have a worse points-per-game ratio - the managers of the three teams currently below Saints in the table.

If Southampton maintain their current points-per-game ratio, they are on course to end the season on 30 points. No team has ever avoided relegation from the Premier League with such a tally, with West Brom's total of 34 points the lowest in 2004-05

Edited by East Kent Saint

Deserves a few games with Les Reed interference.

Not convinced he's the right man but deserves a small window now Leslie has finally been sacked

Whoops!! So les is still interfering according to the first sentence.... but then the 2nd sentence... ??? getting all confused mate... :lol:

Listening to the R.Solent interview with Hughes on my way to the match, it appeared that he wasn't happy with amount of interference he was getting from Reed. He said that he had little say in transfers and that the 3 who came in the summer were more or less decided before he was given the permanent job.

Adam Blackmore and Dave Merrington went on to say that one of the reasons that Koeman left was that he wanted to run the first team without interference and he should decide who was bought and sold. His focus was on winning games and he had little interest in developing young players. The fact that the management didn't share this single-minded approach lead him to believe that the Club lacked ambition and so off he went.

Listening to the R.Solent interview with Hughes on my way to the match, it appeared that he wasn't happy with amount of interference he was getting from Reed. He said that he had little say in transfers and that the 3 who came in the summer were more or less decided before he was given the permanent job.

Adam Blackmore and Dave Merrington went on to say that one of the reasons that Koeman left was that he wanted to run the first team without interference and he should decide who was bought and sold. His focus was on winning games and he had little interest in developing young players. The fact that the management didn't share this single-minded approach lead him to believe that the Club lacked ambition and so off he went.

Didn't he go to Everton who have pretty much the same set up. Most teams don't leave recruitment just down the manager at least not a PL level anymore. Always a good excuse for PL managers though "I didn't choose the players" almost as if the idea of coaching and managing are skills they don't need... straight out of the Harry Redknapp school of football management.

Hughes is NOT worse than MP. I know statistically we're worse off but Hughes is clearly a better manager than MP.

In some ways he's better in some ways he's worse, the football is much more aesthetically pleasing to watch but he hasn't been able to set a team out to hold onto a lead and seems to think a certain player in particular is undroppable.....

"The south-coast club's hierarchy remain happy with the 55-year-old and the squad they assembled in the summer..."

But...

"There is a consensus that they still lack the defensive leadership of Virgil van Dijk and the direct attacking pace they had in Sadio Mane - and they will look to address these areas."

How can both those comments be true?

Look forward to seeing how we do that with no money.

Nothing is ever Hughes' fault. He's spent his entire managerial career washing his hands of responsibility for anything negative.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

“...the club intend to support him by looking for potential new additions in the January transfer market.

There is a consensus that they still lack the defensive leadership of Virgil van Dijk and the direct attacking pace they had in Sadio Mane - and they will look to address these areas.”

I’m not sure if this is consistent with Ralph Krueger’s comments about the January transfer window in his Echo interview last week.

Those two positions should have been addressed at the time of their departures, Mané in particular, he left two years ago!!

Nothing is ever Hughes' fault. He's spent his entire managerial career washing his hands of responsibility for anything negative.

he told everyone in the summer that the transfer policy and support at Saints has been excellent for him.

I’m Scared that idiots running the club will let the chump Hughes buy a load of overpriced garbage in Jan.

Banking on Hughes doing so abysmally between now and Jan that even a moron would have to sack him.

“Although there is an agreement within the club that they should have picked up at least one more win based on their performances, there is no crisis state yet at Staplewood.”

Crisis? What crisis?

This is a crisis.

A large crisis.

In fact, if you've got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour porterage and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Puel should have produced the same exhilarating gung-ho football of the Koeman Bros, considering he had the same squad as them. Well, apart from Pelle, Mane, and VW, as well as Fonte, VVD and Austin for half the season. And it's not as if he had more matches to contend with. Well, apart from the extra Thursday Europa group matches, and that exhilarating run to the Cup final.

You must not point out tiny details like this. It’s way too hard for many on here to think through. Leave them alone

Absolute madness to stick with him. If he stays in charge all season we are dead certs to go down. Should never have been appointed in the summer 2 wins from the run of games we had towards the end of the season was a poor return. Luckily for us Swansea were so poor. Giving him more time just means we loose more ground on everyone else. The only saving grace is there are 5 or 6 very poor teams.

We have become very dull to watch and we are becoming a Villa / Sunderland where everyone wants us to go down.

Now is the perfect time for him to go with 2 weeks before a big big game. We are going to get halfway though the season with less than 20 points.

Absolute madness to stick with him. If he stays in charge all season we are dead certs to go down. Should never have been appointed in the summer 2 wins from the run of games we had towards the end of the season was a poor return. Luckily for us Swansea were so poor. Giving him more time just means we loose more ground on everyone else. The only saving grace is there are 5 or 6 very poor teams.

We have become very dull to watch and we are becoming a Villa / Sunderland where everyone wants us to go down.

Now is the perfect time for him to go with 2 weeks before a big big game. We are going to get halfway though the season with less than 20 points.

I’m sorry but as bad as we are this season he did well to keep us up last year. Apart from his first game at West Ham he didn’t have a bad result. Who exactly did you expect us to beat - Chelsea, Man City or Man City at home or Leicester, Arsenal or Everton away?

I’m sorry but as bad as we are this season he did well to keep us up last year. Apart from his first game at West Ham he didn’t have a bad result. Who exactly did you expect us to beat - Chelsea, Man City or Man City at home or Leicester, Arsenal or Everton away?

Very true, but surely he got the wins against the teams we would have expected to beat. His results were nothing special nor were they terrible.

He sets his teams not to get beat against the bigger teams and they get stuffed. It’s never his fault, Saturday is a key example if the referee gets the decisions correct we are down to 10 men facing a penalty at 1-0 and let’s face it we struggled to hold on with 11 men.

The squad doesn’t look fit enough and although not the best squad, it is surely better than 1 win in 12. I don’t see it improving just getting worse.

Very true, but surely he got the wins against the teams we would have expected to beat. His results were nothing special nor were they terrible.

He sets his teams not to get beat against the bigger teams and they get stuffed. It’s never his fault, Saturday is a key example if the referee gets the decisions correct we are down to 10 men facing a penalty at 1-0 and let’s face it we struggled to hold on with 11 men.

The squad doesn’t look fit enough and although not the best squad, it is surely better than 1 win in 12. I don’t see it improving just getting worse.

I agree he should go but think you’re being harsh over last season. We were a mess and faced a nightmare run in, Hughes effectively kept us up with a game to spare. We were desperately unlucky not to get a win away to Everton, seconds away from a point against City and unlucky not to hold on against Chelsea.

Flogging our best player in the Summer has ****ed us, I’m not sure anyone could keep this lot up.

If the ref gets the decisions right he spots their handball in the build up to their penalty shout and it doesn't even get that far !

I agree he should go but think you’re being harsh over last season. We were a mess and faced a nightmare run in, Hughes effectively kept us up with a game to spare. We were desperately unlucky not to get a win away to Everton, seconds away from a point against City and unlucky not to hold on against Chelsea.

Flogging our best player in the Summer has ****ed us, I’m not sure anyone could keep this lot up.

With the common factor being that we conceded late goals in all of those games, showing that we are unable to maintain defensive concentration over 95 minutes. It was nothing to do with luck.

Perhaps harsh to blame it on Hughes as he had only just joined and the damage had already been done by Pellegrino, but you can't call it bad luck.