Hughes OUT

Batman

Can't see him going before we appoint a new DoF.... on balance it doesn't make sense.

However time is running out for us in relation to the passing of games and the nearing of the January window (although I doubt we'll spend anything).

Some big decisions to be made by Ralph, Gao etc. Are they up to it?

Can't see him going before we appoint a new DoF.... on balance it doesn't make sense.

However time is running out for us in relation to the passing of games and the nearing of the January window (although I doubt we'll spend anything).

Some big decisions to be made by Ralph, Gao etc. Are they up to it?

That's the trouble! Its not the players fault, they are up to it. It's off the field, no one knows what they are doing--or seems to care. The onfield only ref;ects the off-field

That's the trouble! Its not the players fault, they are up to it. It's off the field, no one knows what they are doing--or seems to care. The onfield only ref;ects the off-field

The players very much aren’t up to it.

I'm not sure he wanted a bloated squad. Most people agreed we needed Tadic, Boufal, Forster replacements in the summer, plus a tall CB and a striker who could score.

We got all those (albeit maybe not as good as we might have hoped). The problem was failing to offload anyone bar Tadic.

When we're successful, teams clamour to buy from us. It's a different story when we've scraped survival.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Disagree he was definite about keeping the likes of Davis/Long etc.

At stoke he did exactly the same thing.

On current form, no they're not.

But I don't doubt that a decent management/coaching set up would have the majority of them performing much better than they currently are.

I think most of them are incapable of doing much more, they're just average and full of flaws. No one will be able to improve Hoedt, he's just Hoedt.

I think most of them are incapable of doing much more, they're just average and full of flaws. No one will be able to improve Hoedt, he's just Hoedt.

I think Jack Stephens has a lot more potential but having Hughes and three goalkeepers as first team coaches isn't going to improve anybody.

Sorry. Can't agree. We repeatedly make the same mistakes. We stand off rather than get into the faces of the opponents. Twice on Saturday Fulham scored. Because our 'defenders? were not within three feet of the scorers. Hughes has to take responsibility for this not make excuses such as 'we are improving and will turn this round' When?

Yep, same with Austin, same with Yoshida. You look at the downgrades we’ve made and that sums up what’s wrong with us.

I think Jack Stephens has a lot more potential but having Hughes and three goalkeepers as first team coaches isn't going to improve anybody.

Good point; crazy to think we have 3 goalkeeping coaches on the coaching staff. Shows how bad the recruitment has been in all areas!

Still can’t believe he is here. A replacement must be lined up unless they are going to fill the director of football vacancy 1st.

True, but a better manager would recognise that and not play him week in week out regardless of how gash he is.

Despite his limitations, Stephens is a better CB, and it's no coincidence that we kept a clean sheet in two of the three games he has started this season (with the third one being the mauling at Man City, so he can't really take too much flak for that). In the back half of 2016/17, when we lost VVD to injury and sold Fonte in the Jan transfer window, he and Yoshida gave a pretty decent account of themselves. Our problems during that period all stemmed from our inability to score, not from the defence.

In other areas of the squad, we know that certain players are capable of better. Romeu, Bertrand, Cedric and JWP have all performed at a higher standard in the past than they have done this season. Even Redmond had a good spell under Puel and contributed a few goals and assists.

Despite looking really threatening in his early few games, Ings has regressed badly since he joined. I don't know if it's because of the slack training regime, or if the general air of negativity has engulfed him, or both, but he doesn't look anything like the player he was in August.

So yes, there are obvious weaknesses in our squad. Players like Long, Austin, Davis etc... are done at this level and cannot be relied upon any which way. But, given the right management, coaching and fitness training, I believe we have a squad capable of finishing comfortably mid-table.

However, with our current setup, we are on course to finish bottom with a record low points total, and that cannot be acceptable to anybody.

True, but a better manager would recognise that and not play him week in week out regardless of how gash he is.

Despite his limitations, Stephens is a better CB, and it's no coincidence that we kept a clean sheet in two of the three games he has started this season (with the third one being the mauling at Man City, so he can't really take too much flak for that). In the back half of 2016/17, when we lost VVD to injury and sold Fonte in the Jan transfer window, he and Yoshida gave a pretty decent account of themselves. Our problems during that period all stemmed from our inability to score, not from the defence.

In other areas of the squad, we know that certain players are capable of better. Romeu, Bertrand, Cedric and JWP have all performed at a higher standard in the past than they have done this season. Even Redmond had a good spell under Puel and contributed a few goals and assists.

Despite looking really threatening in his early few games, Ings has regressed badly since he joined. I don't know if it's because of the slack training regime, or if the general air of negativity has engulfed him, or both, but he doesn't look anything like the player he was in August.

So yes, there are obvious weaknesses in our squad. Players like Long, Austin, Davis etc... are done at this level and cannot be relied upon any which way. But, given the right management, coaching and fitness training, I believe we have a squad capable of finishing comfortably mid-table.

However, with our current setup, we are on course to finish bottom with a record low points total, and that cannot be acceptable to anybody.

Redmond's been our best player in probably a quarter of this seasons games. Doesn't mean he's been amazing, but I think him and PEH (and possibly Lemina when he looks like he can be bothered) have been our best players. Shame Ings has tailed off so much. Just seems to be the training which must be shocking as I agree, most of the players are capable of more.

Good point; crazy to think we have 3 goalkeeping coaches on the coaching staff. Shows how bad the recruitment has been in all areas!

Also why 1/4 of the summer transfer money was spent on a reserve goalkeeper and nothing spent on buying a striker, just one in on loan with option to buy later.

For a team that had a terrrible record scoring goals last season..............

If "they" are not going to sack him as seems the case at the moment, perhaps "they" don`t think its that bad. :scared:

If that is the case, just how bad do they need it to get?

It got bad enough for us that Hughes seemed an improvement last year, we’ve got a while yet I reckon.

In the back half of 2016/17, when we lost VVD to injury and sold Fonte in the Jan transfer window, he (Stephens) and Yoshida gave a pretty decent account of themselves. Our problems during that period all stemmed from our inability to score, not from the defence.

The partnership conceded 27 goals in 17 games. Not sure if that is bad or alright. I am also not sure you can always point the finger at CBs of even defenders for goals conceded. It really is up to the team to defend well. However, I seem to recall there were several occasions when I thought Stephens lack of dominance in the air led directly to goals conceded. I like him as a player, especially with the ball, I just need to see a nastier and physically stronger player that rag dolls forwards not the other way round. Yoshida is another that gets beaten in the air far too much at vital times. Again there are good points to his game, but he just is not a top class CB - and there lies the problem. We don't have ANY top class players. Good players yes, really exceptional talent...nope. Without it you better have brilliant tactics, team spirit, workrate, fitness, understanding...

The partnership conceded 27 goals in 17 games. Not sure if that is bad or alright. I am also not sure you can always point the finger at CBs of even defenders for goals conceded. It really is up to the team to defend well. However, I seem to recall there were several occasions when I thought Stephens lack of dominance in the air led directly to goals conceded. I like him as a player, especially with the ball, I just need to see a nastier and physically stronger player that rag dolls forwards not the other way round. Yoshida is another that gets beaten in the air far too much at vital times. Again there are good points to his game, but he just is not a top class CB - and there lies the problem. We don't have ANY top class players. Good players yes, really exceptional talent...nope. Without it you better have brilliant tactics, team spirit, workrate, fitness, understanding...

I agree with all of that. The one game which stands out to me is the Cup Final, the winning goal...

If "they" are not going to sack him as seems the case at the moment, perhaps "they" don`t think its that bad. :scared:

maybe they worry it could get worse if they do sack him? Which it could you know.

I wonder how much he will cost to pay off? Let's say £10m (which is probably way too high). If we kept Hughes and spent that saved money on (or put it towards) a new CB instead would we better off than sacking him and not having a new CB? yeah, I know the answer to that. Just thought I'd put it out there.

That’s exactly how they play - secretly allowing teams to have shots because that’s what they like!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maybe they worry it could get worse if they do sack him? Which it could you know.

I wonder how much he will cost to pay off? Let's say £10m (which is probably way too high). If we kept Hughes and spent that saved money on (or put it towards) a new CB instead would we better off than sacking him and not having a new CB? yeah, I know the answer to that. Just thought I'd put it out there.

The answer depends on who ends up managing the team after Hughes. Recent recruitment at the managerial position has produced a string of three underwhelming managers since Koeman left. Given our league position, skint owners and little prospect of making waves in the January window, I can’t see the club attracting a great alternative. It is possible that Hughes is the best alternative available, which is worrying because he ain’t very good.

Whoi are 'they'? Is it the Canadian hockey man? Is it the Chinese owner? Is it the Swiss German, Big Kat? And how will any of them know who to appoint? They can't seem to find anyone to replace Les. Does any one care? The players need to know even more than we do.

Alex Crook is the source of this rumour.

Also, the original TalkSport piece talks about Davis playing a more active role under Hughes, and a possible caretaker manager role if Hughes is sacked.

Surely not even this club would appoint him as a permanent replacement.

I reckon he'll be gone after tonight- no evidence- just a feeling... only my opinion.

As for Davies- at leats he was here in Poch and Kooman's time and knows the fitness levels that generated a more confident team...although probably several weeks before any fitness change in training translated to a Saturday.