Hughes OUT

Batman

There are all sorts of consultants available to help but the pool of available managers is pretty limited. The latter is the issue for me - most people said that anybody would be better when Puel went, then again when MP went.
It makes zero sense to bring in a brand new manager and then someone comes in afterwards to oversee the whole operation. The new hire or hires will surely be involved in the new choice of manager.

There are all sorts of consultants available to help but the pool of available managers is pretty limited. The latter is the issue for me - most people said that anybody would be better when Puel went, then again when MP went.

Maybe, but if you are bringing in a new DOF surely you want him to be choosing the manager so that their philosophies are aligned?

So Mitchell as DOF along with Hassenhutl as manager as both worked well together at Leipzig

Think they were only at Leipzig together for about 6 months, Hasenhutl left at the end of the season.

If we were looking to replicate Leipzig's success then the bloke to go for is Ralph Rangnick who oversees football operations for the Red Bull group of clubs. Has been linked with jobs in England, including the national team at one point. Now managing the Leipzig team as a temporary measure. No chance of getting him. If we did we could have 3 Ralphs at the club, Krueger, Rangnick, and Hassenhutl.

Perhaps that's where we're going wrong, jusy not enough Ralphs at the moment.

Maybe, but if you are bringing in a new DOF surely you want him to be choosing the manager so that their philosophies are aligned?

Absolutely this.

I was in favour of giving Hughes a chance, but my patience has worn extremely thin now.

I want him out as much as the next man, but to try and replace him before we have appointed a new technical director would be incredibly stupid for all sorts of reasons.

As awful as he is, I think sacking him now and relying on a caretaker until the new DOF comes in and appoints his own man would be far, far worse in the short term.

This writer from the Mail reckons that a Fulham loss will resulti in “intense scrutiny” for Hughes by the club notwithstanding the lack of a replacement for Reed. The writer notes that the feeling “behind the scenes” is that they left it too late with Pellegrino. Duh.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6411399/Southampton-chiefs-set-make-decision-Mark-Hughes-future-lose-Fulham.html

This writer from the Mail reckons that a Fulham loss will resulti in “intense scrutiny” for Hughes by the club notwithstanding the lack of a replacement for Reed. The writer notes that the feeling “behind the scenes” is that they left it too late with Pellegrino. Duh.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6411399/Southampton-chiefs-set-make-decision-Mark-Hughes-future-lose-Fulham.html

Hopefully the decision on pellegrino was down to Les and we will be more decisive without him in the future.

But, as results under Hughes have been worse than they were under Pellegrino, we probably would have been relegated if the change had occurred earlier in the season.

Hopefully the decision on pellegrino was down to Les and we will be more decisive without him in the future.

Like we've been decisive in replacing him!

Not sacking Pelligrino was due to trying to not create a culture where players down tools to get rid of a manager they don't like. That could have been down to Reed or Kruger, my money would be on the nutter Kruger.

I wonder how many more years it'll be before they realise that they left it too late to bring in a front man who can score goals?

Like we've been decisive in replacing him!

Not sacking Pelligrino was due to trying to not create a culture where players down tools to get rid of a manager they don't like. That could have been down to Reed or Kruger, my money would be on the nutter Kruger.

I thought it was known (not by me admittedly) that Krueger wanted to get rid earlier but Reed was the man wanting to keep him on? And that was something I/we heard soon after the sacking, maybe even before he was sacked, not something that has come out in the last few weeks.

In fairness you can appreciate that point of view, after siding with the players on the Puel situation, maybe it dawned on them that the power had shifted. That being said, I think the players liked Pellegrino because he was nice to them and didn't work them too hard in training and performances on the pitch looked much more of a tactical/style issue than player downing tools.

I thought it was known (not by me admittedly) that Krueger wanted to get rid earlier but Reed was the man wanting to keep him on? And that was something I/we heard soon after the sacking, maybe even before he was sacked, not something that has come out in the last few weeks.

In fairness you can appreciate that point of view, after siding with the players on the Puel situation, maybe it dawned on them that the power had shifted. That being said, I think the players liked Pellegrino because he was nice to them and didn't work them too hard in training and performances on the pitch looked much more of a tactical/style issue than player downing tools.

That is correct.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2018/nov/22/premier-league-analysing-when-teams-score-their-goals

Pretty damning on the preparation/fitness/mental-strength front.

Black and green graphic at the bottom of the article.

In terms of goals F and A in the first 30 mins of all PL matches this season only Fulham and Wolves have been poorer than us, in the middle 31 to 60 minutes we are almost normal (only 9th worst, although presumably the other team often has a lead by then!). In the final third of games 61-9o mins only Fulham are worse than us. Combine it with various other charts knocking about which show us as having had 'easier' fixtures than some others and it doesn't look good, for Hughes or for us!

Perhaps a new manager wouldnt let Austin or Long anywhere near the first team?

Perhaps a new manager would play Yoshida and not Hoedt?

Perhaps a new manager would advise Redmond to run and keep running and not check back all the time?

I was convinced Pellegrino was going to take us down and I am equally convinced Hughes will do the same.

I accept we have average players, which is why they need to work twice as hard as their opponents. They simply look dreadfully unfit and that is the training regime's fault, for which Hughes needs to be held to account.

Average players + below average work ethic = relegation.

Average players + above average work ethic = survival.

I have listened to 2 top goalscorers recently talking about their skill and both said that they spent countless hours just shooting at goal, sometimes just into an empty net so that they had a kind of muscle memory where the goal is. Perhaps that is what the club shuld make all our strikers do for hours on end.

The 2 players who said this wer Ian Wright and Ibrahimovic, not a bad place to take advice

Average players + above average work ethic = survival.

Average players + above average work ethic + good shape/team discipline/press = mid table.

Average players + above average work ethic + good shape/team discipline/press + good man management/improving players = challenging in 6-8.

The last one is basically Bournemouth, several articles around recently that talk about Howe's attention to detail, how he personally tries to improve every player, how every player knows their jobs and roles within the teams shape and style of play, how the make sure the players are fit and sharp etc. etc. How he creates a family ethic with the players so they are a tight knit unit. A lot of people are saying his methods are very similar to Guardiolas, Bournmouth have something like 5-6 players in the first team squad that were involved in their League one promotion days (sound familiar).

Shows IMO what impact a good, modern manager can have on an 'average squad'. Most of their first team squad is from like the Championship level or below.

Average players + above average work ethic + good shape/team discipline/press = mid table.

Average players + above average work ethic + good shape/team discipline/press + good man management/improving players = challenging in 6-8.

The last one is basically Bournemouth, several articles around recently that talk about Howe's attention to detail, how he personally tries to improve every player, how every player knows their jobs and roles within the teams shape and style of play, how the make sure the players are fit and sharp etc. etc. How he creates a family ethic with the players so they are a tight knit unit. A lot of people are saying his methods are very similar to Guardiolas, Bournmouth have something like 5-6 players in the first team squad that were involved in their League one promotion days (sound familiar).

Shows IMO what impact a good, modern manager can have on an 'average squad'. Most of their first team squad is from like the Championship level or below.

I agree with everything you say, especially about Bournemouth's capabilities. The thing is, Eddie Howe is revered in the Club, everyone listens to him and the directors have given him a long time to get them where they are now. We are NOT in that position. A manager has less than a season to maximise our capabilities, as we can't risk relegation. The players know that and don't emotionally invest in the 'manager de jour'. I never thought I would be jealous of Bournemouth, but the truth is that I am.

They’ve had a kind set of fixtures so far. Let’s see what the next four bring.

IIRC, Howe is careful on who and how many new faces he brings into the club not wanting to disrupt the team harmony which he values as an important aspect.

Hughes press calls are just like Mrs May's, promises for better things soon, almost there, all the building blocks in place, not far away and so on..

So what do we get instead, a botched Brexit which nobody wants and a relegation dogfight which nobody here wants.

Hughes fate and May's are likely to be the same and all they'll leave behind is a hell of a mess that'll take years to sort out with Britain & Southampton in a second division world.

Hughes press calls are just like Mrs May's, promises for better things soon, almost there, all the building blocks in place, not far away and so on..

So what do we get instead, a botched Brexit which nobody wants and a relegation dogfight which nobody here wants.

Hughes fate and May's are likely to be the same and all they'll leave behind is a hell of a mess that'll take years to sort out with Britain & Southampton in a second division world.

Yes, i agree, very sadly, but add one comment : both May and Hughes inherited almost impossible situations because of the failures and errors of those before them, can't blame them alone and can't see their successors doing much better...change of government in both cases needed---and the options don't look good!

What’s the betting we lose to Fulham then Hughes gets sacked, thereby wasting the whole international break?

The won't sack him even if we lose against Fulham the club have decided in their wisdom to reassess as Christmas

Absolutely this.

I was in favour of giving Hughes a chance, but my patience has worn extremely thin now.

I want him out as much as the next man, but to try and replace him before we have appointed a new technical director would be incredibly stupid for all sorts of reasons.

As awful as he is, I think sacking him now and relying on a caretaker until the new DOF comes in and appoints his own man would be far, far worse in the short term.

The thing for me that underlines how badly run we are right now is that we didn't have a replacement lined up for Les. Surely if we knew his time was up - which it clearly was - the search should have been on for the man to replace him and for that man to be ready to slot in when he was sacked.

If he did get sacked, almost certainly Jaidi would be the caretaker unless we have a replacement lined up immediately.

It worked for West Brom in Darren Moore so who knows, a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh perspective could help.

Would he also be the Premier League's first African manager?

If he did get sacked, almost certainly Jaidi would be the caretaker unless we have a replacement lined up immediately.

It worked for West Brom in Darren Moore so who knows, a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh perspective could help.

If he got sacked without an immediate replacement then it would be yet another cluster****.

We can't waste any games.

Off the top of my head I can think of Tigana who managed in the PL..he was born in Africa.