Hughes OUT

Batman

Southampton will give Mark Hughes the chance to reverse club's fortunes but time is ticking: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/25/southampton-will-give-mark-hughes-chance-reverse-clubs-fortunes/

Worrying announcement through Wilson that the club won’t take the action that most other rational people assume is the obvious thing to do. Déjà vu all over again.

Southampton will give Mark Hughes the chance to reverse club's fortunes but time is ticking: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/25/southampton-will-give-mark-hughes-chance-reverse-clubs-fortunes/

If this is true, then RK has lost the plot. Nothing will change at this club until there is a mass clear out at executive level. The dithering leadership is pathetic.

I know most on here are sceptical, can’t say I blame them.

Will tell you what I’ve heard - Hughes will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Got told about 4pm, only just had time to post. Board want him to work.

Source is a close enough to 1st team to know. Just passing on what I’ve been told.

Will tell you what I’ve heard - Hughes will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Got told about 4pm, only just had time to post. Board want him to work.

Source is a close enough to 1st team to know. Just passing on what I’ve been told.

Fair enough that they want him to work, but 1 win in 21 says that it isn't going to.

They wanted pellegrino to work.

****ing clueless

I don't think that's a surprise to anyone. Let's see if that's still the stance when we lose the next three and are bottom.

What I guessed. We just have to hope that somehow things suddenly turn round. It can happen - look at Huddersfield.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's significant. The payoff costs, plus wages for failures are adding up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Less than the cost of relegation.

The increase that would have kept Koeman at the club is probably a fraction of the payoffs to Puel, Pellegrino and now Hughes since. Good work Les.

Less than the cost of relegation.

The increase that would have kept Koeman at the club is probably a fraction of the payoffs to Puel, Pellegrino and now Hughes since. Good work Les.

Not forgetting the money wasted on Carillo, Boufal, Moi, Vestergarrd....

It defies belief.

If it takes relegation to get rid of the idiot Hughes then so be it.

Seems to me that the negativity expounded by many on here borders on the pathological. Most reasonable people should be prepared to give the club 100% support at least until the Dec fixtures are complete.
I have been watching Saints for around 60 years and have held a ST for 40. I have 100% supported the club through thick and thin through all of that time. I don't expect us to win every game or regularly qualify for Europe but I do expect to be excited occasionally, see us tweak the noses of the big boys sometimes and be entertained. None of those things have happened for the last two seasons and most of the problems are self-inflicted. I know that a lot on here hate the word "customers" but that's what are...paying a premium price for a sub-standard "product". The club has gradually run out of the slack that most will allow them....it's going to be difficult to get that back...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Seems to me that the negativity expounded by many on here borders on the pathological. Most reasonable people should be prepared to give the club 100% support at least until the Dec fixtures are complete.

Except we would be bottom at christmas and the championship becomes a reality. Hughes should never have been given a contract. In the same way that Pearson did a decent job but did not get offered a long term deal iirc. Tadic did most of the work to keep us up at the end of last season and other teams being somehow worse. We have half of the points than at this stage last season. we need 32 points from our 25 remaining games. weve managed less than that in our previous 38

We have just seen our once proud club sliding ever deeper into the mire because of sheer incompetence. Serious failings in the leadership caused through arrogance or simply blind stupidity. Last season we saw what nearly happened through the dithering at the top and you want us to calmly watch and let them try harder to sink our ship this time round?

I disagree. There comes a point when you can no longer support the indefensible.

Hughes has shown no evidence whatsoever of being the right man to arrest this slide. He has had enough time with the squad now and he cannot get the team to maintain any kind of shape or defend as a unit. Even Pellegrino was better in that respect. Whichever way you look at it, he has no future at SFC.

Why dither and wait until we have dropped more points and taken another big step towards relegation before acting?

Ballox. Absolutely nothing pathological about it. We had the whole of last season that was as sh1te as this, and a lot of the season before that. Now you say we should endure it for another month. And its cost me about £2500 for the pleasure. So **** you telling us we are unreasonable

Austin’s just liked a tweet from a QPR supporter about “abuse from Southampton fans” and saying he’d like to see him back at Loftus Road.

It's that kind of stuff that just makes him seem like a bellend. Either a bellend or just a bit thick. Either way, I'd be quite happy for him to go back to QPR whenever he wants.

I disagree. There comes a point when you can no longer support the indefensible.

Hughes has shown no evidence whatsoever of being the right man to arrest this slide. He has had enough time with the squad now and he cannot get the team to maintain any kind of shape or defend as a unit. Even Pellegrino was better in that respect. Whichever way you look at it, he has no future at SFC.

Why dither and wait until we have dropped more points and taken another big step towards relegation before acting?

I agree with you Bexy 100%. It was right to give Hughes a chance after keeping us up (we should also send Swansea a big thank you) - but even then we knew he was not the right long-term answer for us. I said give him 10 games - more than enough time to get the best out of the squad we have and prove himself - he's now had 13 and it's blindingly obvious he is not the right manager for us (worst stats of any Southampton Manager - what more do the board need?). It must be clear to the board too - but they do not want to admit to their own mistake giving him a 3-year fat contract they'll have to pay off - instead they are back into wishful thinking territory. Disastrous!

Have we not learnt anything from our lucky escape last season?

If we don't get the 'he's gone' news tomorrow (Monday) I will be disappointed. The only slack I'd cut the board is if they have a quality DOF appointment in the wings whom they want to give a say in the new managerial appointment...having written off the next two league games anyway.

Hughes Out is a given now, we're sinking like a stone. Who to bring in is tricky though because of our circumstances...

1) To keep us up? Obviously Allardyce is the man here, I wouldn't want Moyes personally.

2) Preparing for the Premier League long term (a risky strategy considering our situation)? Rodgers or Jardim or someone from Europe that has a decent record and a name in football that could attract a better class of player.

3) Accepting that we're probably doomed and we might as well build for the Championship? Jokanovic is the man for this.

4) The dirt cheap, extremely dodgy option: Carlos Carvalhal

5) The comedy option: Bob Bradley (God Swansea have had some crap managers)

6) The "I've never heard of him so he must be good" option - Well I've never heard of him so how can I put him here...

7) The "Unite the fanbase, Living in a Dreamworld" option - Pep.

I wouldn't be against Jokanovic really, helped take Watford up and took a poor Fulham side (when he took over) and got them promoted and although he struggled with Fulham this season, it can't have been easy having such a large number of players brought in. He would be a risky option for the rest of this season though, but definitely someone we would need if the worst were to happen. Rodgers was my choice a couple of years ago when Puel got the nod, but I don't think we'd have a chance now. Otherwise it's slim pickings on that list on this thread. You can't knock Van Gaal's CV though, boring though his teams may be, I wouldn't have a problem seeing him here. Again I think we have little chance. Sod it, bring in Tisdale.

Allardyce?!!!!! - I'd rather get relegated than have that tosser involved with our club

I agree with you Bexy 100%. It was right to give Hughes a chance after keeping us up (we should also send Swansea a big thank you) - but even then we knew he was not the right long-term answer for us. I said give him 10 games - more than enough time to get the best out of the squad we have and prove himself - he's now had 13 and it's blindingly obvious he is not the right manager for us (worst stats of any Southampton Manager - what more do the board need?). It must be clear to the board too - but they do not want to admit to their own mistake giving him a 3-year fat contract they'll have to pay off - instead they are back into wishful thinking territory. Disastrous!

Have we not learnt anything from our lucky escape last season?

If we don't get the 'he's gone' news tomorrow (Monday) I will be disappointed. The only slack I'd cut the board is if they have a quality DOF appointment in the wings whom they want to give a say in the new managerial appointment...having written off the next two league games anyway.

I agree with your post...and prepare to be disappointed.

Amazingly, he’s doing worse than Pellegrino, which is something of an achievement.