Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

Allardyce would be a disaster, those calling for Hughes to be sacked but Allardyce to come in are posters either on the wind up or mentally challenged in some capacity.

Our problem isn't defending (ignore Sunday, we kept two clean sheets consecutively before then), it's going forward that's the issue and finishing off teams where we're obviously the better side. We don't want a manager whose tactics mean we only lose 2-0 or 3-0 against Man City and draw 0-0 against the rest.

As ITKs have said, we'll NEVER hire Allardyce, so this debate is pointless. Les Reed isn't that stupid.

So Hughes, Allardyce or Moyes?

Sticking a pencil in your eye is also available as an option.

Personally I’d go for Jardim once he’s turned down Real Madrid.

Yes. That's right. Or Pep. About as likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allardyce would be a disaster, those calling for Hughes to be sacked but Allardyce to come in are posters either on the wind up or mentally challenged in some capacity.

Our problem isn't defending (ignore Sunday, we kept two clean sheets consecutively before then), it's going forward that's the issue and finishing off teams where we're obviously the better side. We don't want a manager whose tactics mean we only lose 2-0 or 3-0 against Man City and draw 0-0 against the rest.

As ITKs have said, we'll NEVER hire Allardyce, so this debate is pointless. Les Reed isn't that stupid.

He likes the odd direct ball but he's never been one to not attack. He's not like Pulis in the anti-football stakes at all. His Bolton team had Okocha, Djorkaeff, Anelka etc.

Look, two years ago I would have said "no way" but we've got ourselves into a ****e situation. If he comes in and steadies the ship for a couple of years we can build from there.

I, personally, would not be bothered about relegation. I enjoy the PL much more as a TV event now than a participatory exercise. However, I do worry what would happen if we were relegated under Kat and Gao. So, if we want to stay up, get Fat Sam in.

Jardim is going to China according to those same reports that say Hughes will get sacked if he doesn't win this Saturday.

Could be a bluff on his part. It's no secret we seem to take ages over appointments (managerial and playing) maybe the China story is hi way of saying "Give me the job NOW or I go elsewhere"

Disclaimer: This post comes with a large serving of wishful thinking

The usual names being mentioned in the media, Moyes and Fat Sam. Dear God, would the numpties seriously look at those two failures too replace the existing one.

Before replying to this, can I sat that i would give Hughes until Boxing Day match when we will have played everyone once and would not be pulling the trigger just yet.

However Saint Billy calls Big Sam a “failure”. You may not like him, but lets examine the facts of his PL career:

- took Bolton to Europe in consecutive seasons

- was sacked early in Newcastle, who went on to be relegated

- took Wet Spam up and kept them in PL for two seasons

- took over at doomed Sunderland and kept them up. Took the England job

- took over at doomed Palace and kept them up. Resigned in the summer

- took over at Everton who looked the worst PL team ever to visit St Marys facing relation and finished 8th

This sort of sloppy comment reminds me of people who still say Puel was a failure. We finished 8th and a cup final. Just look at us now?

Does anybody actually still have decent links with the club? Does anyone know what the thoughts are from within the top echelons of the club?

I know everyone is clamouring for Les and Ralph to step down (me included at times) due to a series of what seem to be rather catastrophic decisions but my question is, who actually knows what is going on?

I'm not suggesting that everyone is wrong on this, if anything, I completely agree with you all but a question popped into my mind today, would Les and Ralph and especially Les be happy with what is going on? You can't be a major part of steering a club from League One to 6th in the PL and be happy with what is happening now. Do we know for sure that Les is being destructive and not actually somebody who is staying on as he wants to get things back to where they were? For all we know he was dead against the sale to Gao Family and is staying on as some form of consistency to ease the transition from Liebherr to Gao.

This could be wishful thinking but Les's reputation could end in tatters - why wouldn't he just step down post Puel?

If Hughes is to go which in my mind he should, the squad is poor but he looks tactically inept with no other plans then why wait until Watford? We beat Watford and then what? We carry on being poor and then he gets the heave ho in a month or so.. Get him gone now, bring in a new guy to work with the squad for 6 weeks so he can what sort of player(s) he wants to bring in in Jan. It's not rocket science is it?

Ramble over.

Does anybody actually still have decent links with the club? Does anyone know what the thoughts are from within the top echelons of the club?

I know everyone is clamouring for Les and Ralph to step down (me included at times) due to a series of what seem to be rather catastrophic decisions but my question is, who actually knows what is going on?

I'm not suggesting that everyone is wrong on this, if anything, I completely agree with you all but a question popped into my mind today, would Les and Ralph and especially Les be happy with what is going on? You can't be a major part of steering a club from League One to 6th in the PL and be happy with what is happening now. Do we know for sure that Les is being destructive and not actually somebody who is staying on as he wants to get things back to where they were? For all we know he was dead against the sale to Gao Family and is staying on as some form of consistency to ease the transition from Liebherr to Gao.

This could be wishful thinking but Les's reputation could end in tatters - why wouldn't he just step down post Puel?

If Hughes is to go which in my mind he should, the squad is poor but he looks tactically inept with no other plans then why wait until Watford? We beat Watford and then what? We carry on being poor and then he gets the heave ho in a month or so.. Get him gone now, bring in a new guy to work with the squad for 6 weeks so he can what sort of player(s) he wants to bring in in Jan. It's not rocket science is it?

Ramble over.

Well this came from an employee when asked if he knew what was happening? the response was that the powers that be above the manager that they are too smug and feel they are doing a great job to get anything done we would like.

Before replying to this, can I sat that i would give Hughes until Boxing Day match when we will have played everyone once and would not be pulling the trigger just yet.

However Saint Billy calls Big Sam a “failure”. You may not like him, but lets examine the facts of his PL career:

- took over at Everton who looked the worst PL team ever to visit St Marys facing relation and finished 8th

This sort of sloppy comment reminds me of people who still say Puel was a failure. We finished 8th and a cup final. Just look at us now?

BFS is precisely Mark Hughes in a different suit and a dinosaur from a different age. He might well have been a handy manager back in his Bolton days but football has moved on. This appointment would do nothing for our image or long term fortunes, and anyone thinking otherwise is also stuck in the 90’s.

As for throwaway comments: Everton weren't facing relegation when he took over. They were 6 points above the bottom 3 having spent a sackful and were a formation change away from being competent in a bog standard league (they had just pumped West Ham 4-0). They'd also just played 14 games.

Are we really not seeing the similarities between us and Sunderland. Stop appointing ****, out of work dinosaurs and try something a bit different. It might well backfire but I think in the long term it's for the best.

Fat Sam stabalised Everton last season. Finished 8th when alot on here were saying Everton would be relegated.

Stopped the decline then moved aside for Silva who now has Everton playin some sexy football

Not to mention the impossible job he did of keeping Sunderland up

BFS is precisely Mark Hughes in a different suit and a dinosaur from a different age. He might well have been a handy manager back in his Bolton days but football has moved on. This appointment would do nothing for our image or long term fortunes, and anyone thinking otherwise is also stuck in the 90’s.

As for throwaway comments: Everton weren't facing relegation when he took over. They were 6 points above the bottom 3 having spent a sackful and were a formation change away from being competent in a bog standard league (they had just pumped West Ham 4-0). They'd also just played 14 games.

Are we really not seeing the similarities between us and Sunderland. Stop appointing ****, out of work dinosaurs and try something a bit different. It might well backfire but I think in the long term it's for the best.

Well considering that the long term health of the club is dependent on the short term, I think you're wrong.

We appoint incorrectly and get relegated, and with the way we're owned and his own companies fortunes we're getting asset stripped. He will take every penny out of the club and leave it to rot and die.

What needs to happen is appoint whoever the **** we can, short term, to keep us up, rid ourselves of Reed and Kruger ASAP and bring in a new team, top to bottom, once that has been achieved.

What needs to happen is appoint whoever the **** we can, short term, to keep us up, rid ourselves of Reed and Kruger ASAP and bring in a new team, top to bottom, once that has been achieved.

I'd go along with this (apart from wondering if Kruger is culpable for anything that happens on the field), but isn't that what we did last season? And instead of an entire refit once we stayed up, they all saw it as a job well done and reason to stay.

I don't particularly want Hughes

I dont want Moyes

I don't want Allardyce

I don't want Bruce

I want someone to come in who is a progressive coach, who isn't in the old school manager merry go round shambles.

Obviously some of the below are in better jobs right now and probably wouldn't come but if we could somehow persuade one of the below it would be worth considering...

Jardim

Howe

Domenico Tedesco

Gian Piero Gasperini

Giovanni van Bronckhorst

Ralph Hasenhüttl

Marcelo Gallardo

Rui Vitoria

Could be a bluff on his part. It's no secret we seem to take ages over appointments (managerial and playing) maybe the China story is hi way of saying "Give me the job NOW or I go elsewhere"

Disclaimer: This post comes with a large serving of wishful thinking

Possibly, is not the money in the Chinese league a lot lower than is was a few years ago? They seem to be reigning in on the spending, and he'd have to mainly work with very poor domestic players as they have limited the forum imports, would seem to be a poor career move for an up and coming coach.

Turn us around and he could easily use it as a stepping stone to a better PL ob and loads of money anyway.

I'd also presume that if we are on the brink of sacking Hughes then would be not be sounding out possible replacements? Or maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

Wait until Fulham sack Jokanovic, then offer him the job.

Hopefully that would see Hughes back to another of his failed spiritual homes.

Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me; looks like David Squires has got his number with this take on last week's training!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/nov/06/david-squires-on-a-european-super-league-and-other-life-affirming-stories

Well this came from an employee when asked if he knew what was happening? the response was that the powers that be above the manager that they are too smug and feel they are doing a great job to get anything done we would like.

To be fair, I don't think you need to be an insider at the club to get that impression - there's been a reek of smugness for some years now...

Well considering that the long term health of the club is dependent on the short term, I think you're wrong.

We appoint incorrectly and get relegated, and with the way we're owned and his own companies fortunes we're getting asset stripped. He will take every penny out of the club and leave it to rot and die.

It's 11 games in, we're not even in the bottom 3 and there is some absolute dross in this league in which we only have to beat three. It should be plausible to appoint someone with a longer term view, whilst maintaining our Prem status, and we should be looking at just about anyone else other than BFS/Bruce/WGS/Moyes who 'may' keep us up but then would expect a ****ing contract next year - and here we are again having the same conversation in 2019. It should be pointed out that all of those names above have been on the dwindle for some time.

They also aren't the only people in management who have the ability to motivate, and thinking so is blinkered (and lead to this current **** heap)...in fact I'd say it was a bloody prerequisite of being a manager.

How depressing is it that we're suggesting BFS as our next manager? Were the Adkins, MoPe and Koeman years just a dream?

Thing is though, BFS would improve us, and probably would keep us up.... and we'd see some commitment and fight from our lacklustre players.

He was good enough for Everton this time last year.

BFS is would be a solid appointment for any club in the country outside the top 8-9.

Hopefully that would see Hughes back to another of his failed spiritual homes.

Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me; looks like David Squires has got his number with this take on last week's training!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/nov/06/david-squires-on-a-european-super-league-and-other-life-affirming-stories

Didn't he do relatively well there?

BFS said he considered himself a genius, and he's spot on.

Gets appointed to desperate clubs.

Fails - gets f*****d off with substantial payout,

Succeeds - ditto.

Easy money with a fraction of the work contracted to.

His nett hourly rate must be up there with Bill Gates.

BFS said he considered himself a genius, and he's spot on.

Gets appointed to desperate clubs.

Fails - gets f*****d off with substantial payout,

Succeeds - ditto.

Easy money with a fraction of the work contracted to.

His nett hourly rate must be up there with Bill Gates.

Sorry but where's he failed?

Problem now is that the job has turned into a poisoned chalice, we are going to struggle to attract anyone with a decent cv. Skint owner, DOF who buys the players but takes none of the blame if it all goes to ****e - the only person who would take that crap on would be relatively unproven or someone who’s been around the block with a mixed record.

Problem now is that the job has turned into a poisoned chalice, we are going to struggle to attract anyone with a decent cv. Skint owner, DOF who buys the players but takes none of the blame if it all goes to ****e - the only person who would take that crap on would be relatively unproven or someone who’s been around the block with a mixed record.

nail on the head, anyone that's remotely young & up & coming or considered a proven manager would be insane to come here!

At least four of those jobs you mention fat Sam was sacked from, christ, I would not stand a chance going to interviews with that CV, and we won't even mention why he was sacked from the England job.

Appointing FS would just be another repeat of the Hughes appointment with the same end result. To be fair, he is no mug, he has earned an absolute fortune from being sacked and can sit most seasons out without doing a hard day's work.

Let's drag ourselves out of the dark ages of football and find a young manager who understands the modern game and is hungry for success rather than the has been merry-go-round.

Allardyce hasn’t failed anywhere in football terms? He is incomparable to Hughes, Moyes, Pardew etc. He is extremely good at what he does, just like Pulis is. Whether you enjoy watching it is a different question. But to be quite honest I don’t enjoy watching us draw 0-0 and get spanked 6-1 either, so I am 100% sure Allardyce would improve us.

Everton sacked him because they think they’re bigger than having him as manager, he left Sunderland for England, he left Palace for ‘retirement’. There’s plenty of re-writing of history when it comes to Big Sam.

Allardyce hasn’t failed anywhere in football terms? He is incomparable to Hughes, Moyes, Pardew etc. He is extremely good at what he does, just like Pulis is. Whether you enjoy watching it is a different question. But to be quite honest I don’t enjoy watching us draw 0-0 and get spanked 6-1 either, so I am 100% sure Allardyce would improve us.

Everton sacked him because they think they’re bigger than having him as manager, he left Sunderland for England, he left Palace for ‘retirement’. There’s plenty of re-writing of history when it comes to Big Sam.

He has never been relegated and generally leaves sides in a better position to when he arrived

At least four of those jobs you mention fat Sam was sacked from, christ, I would not stand a chance going to interviews with that CV, and we won't even mention why he was sacked from the England job.

Appointing FS would just be another repeat of the Hughes appointment with the same end result. To be fair, he is no mug, he has earned an absolute fortune from being sacked and can sit most seasons out without doing a hard day's work.

Let's drag ourselves out of the dark ages of football and find a young manager who understands the modern game and is hungry for success rather than the has been merry-go-round.

For a club in a situation like Saints, or any team in the bottom half then that's an excellent CV. As will be proven because if he wants one he's likely to get a job at a top flight club before the season is out.

I don't think we'll approach him and personally I don't want him but if we did hire him, I'd be confident in at least staying up.

I would suggest anyone you suggest (that's a realistic prospect for us) will not have a CV as good as Big old Sam. Suggest away.

Edited by CB Fry

He was sacked by Newcastle because they thought they could do better than Allerdyce and didn't

He was sacked by West Ham because they thought they could do better than Allerdyce and didn't

He was sacked by Everton because they thought they could do better and Allderdyce and haven't (yet)

On each occasions the fans were up in arms about the style of football and on each occasion the manager who replaced him did worse than him. Current flavour of the month has taken faliure, crap Big Fat Sams team form 8th to, err 9th, at the moment. Doesn't it all sound familiar.....

He was sacked by England for non footballing reasons

He is good at what he does, which is get the best out of average players and keep teams up. If your ambitions are just to stay in the premier league then he's probably the best man in the country to do that job. Not for one minute i'm saying i'd want him at Saints but to say he is a failure and a crap manager is pure and utter nonsense. However, his ability seem to match out ambitions so I wouldn't for one second be surprised to see him in the dug out at St Marys sooner rather than later.

Big Sam has never really been a failure result wise if you want to stay up he gets the job done.

His football style is what normally gets the fans offside effective but not very easy on the eye.

I'm not sure we are in a postiin to attract any good established managers most of who get far more attractive offers than this cluster **** of a club. So its either one of the usual suspects or someone untested with promise.

I guess it really comes down to do you want to stay in the PL in which case Sam is a pretty safe bet or are you prepared to risk PL status to take a punt on a young and up coming manager with a more pleasant football philosophy ?

The state of the squad at the moment makes me think we just need to get back to basics become hard to beat and get some confidence boosting wins. In the end I'm happy to trade stylish football for wins and points at the moment.

Sack Hughes and coaches. Appoint Allardyce to end of season (before someone else does, like Fulham/anyone else in trouble). Concurrently scout out an up and coming manager to learn from him and take over next season (Jaidi?). We retain our prem status. Gao keeps his means of paying off his debts with TV money etc rather than parachute payments, perhaps even invests in local land to build homes/leisure/football stadium. Get rid of deadwood. Invest in the youth/decent scouting/ getting team spirit above mercenaries. This is the way to go for a club like ours in a parlous situation like ours. Most other ways lead to relegation and staying in lower leagues for a long time.

Sack Hughes and coaches. Appoint Allardyce to end of season (before someone else does, like Fulham/anyone else in trouble). Concurrently scout out an up and coming manager to learn from him and take over next season (Jaidi?). We retain our prem status. Gao keeps his means of paying off his debts with TV money etc rather than parachute payments, perhaps even invests in local land to build homes/leisure/football stadium. Get rid of deadwood. Invest in the youth/decent scouting/ getting team spirit above mercenaries. This is the way to go for a club like ours in a parlous situation like ours. Most other ways lead to relegation and staying in lower leagues for a long time.

You’re in dreamland if you think for a second that:

1) BFS would take the job just until the end of the season. Appointing him (probably be a 3 year contract, then sacking him would be another ‘short term fix’ costing multi-millions.

2) Jaidi is or will be good enough to manage us in the PL. Nice idea, but not sure he’s up top it. If anything it’ll more than likely be Kelv if we go that route (which would be a disaster).

3) we’ll be able to replace a squad and scouting staff and then instantly settle in, within 6 - 12 months. This is exactly what we need to do, but it’ll take 2 or 3 years to scout, buy and bed in 90% of a squad.

If Reed appoints Allardyce it will be a clear sign of utter madness. Or that he’s finally lost any resemblance of competence. I just can’t believe the Board would sanction another managerial change let along one involving a merry-go-round fool like BFS.

Hughes needs to be held accountable for once. What is needed is a re-think of the attackers in the team...2-3 new names in and 2-3 outgoing in January might be enough.