Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

IMO the players are the problem, but there are two things I can't excuse Hughes for:

First, sticking with Hoedt for too long. I totally support giving players a run to prove themselves, settle into the team and form partnerships, but enough's enough, Hoedt has proven he's not up to it. Yoshida might not be the perfect CB, but we had some great defensive performances with him at CB and the same can't be said for Hoedt. I also believe Yoshida's pace and movement will compliant Vestergaard's size and strength.

Second, dropping the formation we spent all pre-season planning for. The whole point of pre-season is getting a team ready to play the way a manager wants, but he ditched it before the first game had finished. Pre-season is the time to work out whether it works or not and if not, prepare the team for a different way of playing.

Defensive issues IMO are less to do with personnel and more to do with the whole team's shape and discipline.

Like someone said in another thread, we were solid defensively under Puel playing half a season with Stephens and Yoshida, whilst despite people claiming we were boring, IIRC we were creating some of the best chances outside the top 6.

Key to that was a solid defensive mid and team that knew their shape and roles.

Now we are playing 4-4-2, with no defensive mid, partly not helped by Romeus alarming drop in form, and neither Hojberg or Lemina being disciplined enough for that role. Plus there seems to be no collective idea on shape or press, which you pretty much need to have in the modern game, basically defending from the front.

Plus we have also abandoned the more possession based approach we had under Puel and Pellegrino, which obviously keeping the ball restricted the opposition putting pressure on our defence.

So no press, no possession and no dedicated defensive mid protecting the back 4, but still two full backs who have spent the last 4 years flying forward and being the team's main width.

Plus a whole pre-season playing a back 3.

The likes of Hoedt and Vestergaard have come from relatively good teams in their leagues, who would have good possession, a solid system, a press in front of them and a DM shielding them.

They have now been transported into playing some semi-direct 4-4-2.

Is it any surprise that we are conceding goals and our defenders are making mistakes?

Read that article above about up and coming coaches and particularly this point -

How much of that do you think applies to Hughes?

Any of those managers are worth a gamble IMO and would probably want a PL job.

Rodgers has a clear philosophy and must be bored with Scotland by now, wanting another crack at the PL.

Romeus drop in form is cause he is being asked to play out of position in a role he don't play, he is an Anchor midfielder should be played in that role only, never get why coaches play players out of position.

I feel we should be playing a 4231or a 433 with the players we have to get the best out of them

I think personel wise we are. Two good keepers plus Lurch if there is a crisis, decent full backs with OK cover, 4 OK centre backs to choose from plus Hoot. Defensive midfield is not that weak. With a bit of organisation what we have should easily be enough to keep us up - Puel went half a season with Stephens and Yoshida at the back and kept us defensively sound - those two can't even make the team.

That's right. We do have the players but we haven't found a manager who can bring out their best. It's frustrating. I would also be tempted to go back to Yoshida and Stephens. Certainly Yoshida plus one, and try each CB with Yoshi until we find the right combination. We know Vestegaard plus Hoedt is no good. We need to solve defence first then midfield, then the attack.

That's right. We do have the players but we haven't found a manager who can bring out their best. It's frustrating. I would also be tempted to go back to Yoshida and Stephens. Certainly Yoshida plus one, and try each CB with Yoshi until we find the right combination. We know Vestegaard plus Hoedt is no good. We need to solve defence first then midfield, then the attack.

I hate this view that we somehow 'have the players'. We don't, we have a load of absolute overrated garbage stinking out this club. Players who have failed for 3 seasons. It really is a sad state of affairs, but a new manager isn't going to come in and turn this awful group into 'players'. It will need at least 2 transfer windows and no input from Ross flaming Wilson.

Wouldn’t care two hoedts if we saw the back of:

Cedric

Hoedt

Stephens

Lemina

Gabbiadini

Austin

Long

Forster

Carillo

Boufal

Ward-Prowse

Steven Davis

There is a hell of a lot of work needed. We've been given a mini-fortune over the last 3 years as well, so it is absolutely devastating that this is the team we've ended up with.

Just been noting down all the names suggested on this thread.

All the managers named and currently in work would not see us as a step up so would stay where they are, so you can put a line through Wagner, Hughton, Puel, Rogers, Benitez.

Championship managers currently doing well would not want to come to us, a side that may be relegated - so delete Lampard, Bielsa, even Darren Moore.

That leaves us with the out of work managers - Allardyce, Pearson, Hoddle, Pardew. I think we would be picking from these or from a League 1 side, who WOULD see us as a step up.

It's not a promising situation, is it?

I hate this view that we somehow 'have the players'. We don't, we have a load of absolute overrated garbage stinking out this club. Players who have failed for 3 seasons. It really is a sad state of affairs, but a new manager isn't going to come in and turn this awful group into 'players'. It will need at least 2 transfer windows and no input from Ross flaming Wilson.

Cedric

Hoedt

Stephens

Lemina

Gabbiadini

Austin

Long

Forster

Carillo

Boufal

Ward-Prowse

Steven Davis

There is a hell of a lot of work needed. We've been given a mini-fortune over the last 3 years as well, so it is absolutely devastating that this is the team we've ended up with.

Where will the money come from to overhaul and replace the squad? It’s very unlikely that we will recover the full value of the unwanted players for reinvestment purposes. In that case, the owner will need to dip into his own pockets and make up any shortfall which is unlikely. The future isn’t very bright.

Edited by shurlock

Just been noting down all the names suggested on this thread.

All the managers named and currently in work would not see us as a step up so would stay where they are, so you can put a line through Wagner, Hughton, Puel, Rogers, Benitez.

Championship managers currently doing well would not want to come to us, a side that may be relegated - so delete Lampard, Bielsa, even Darren Moore.

That leaves us with the out of work managers - Allardyce, Pearson, Hoddle, Pardew. I think we would be picking from these or from a League 1 side, who WOULD see us as a step up.

It's not a promising situation, is it?

Trust in Les.

And Ross.

They've never let us down before. Well not since the last transfer window closed they haven't.

Where will the money come from to overhaul the squad? It’s very unlikely that we will recover the full value of the unwanted players for reinvestment purposes. The owner will need to make up any shortfall which is obviously unlikely. The future isn’t very bright.

This is the main problem really, we've thrown away a great opportunity through poor recruitment and squad management. I'm not even including the crazy re-contracting of people either...

If only we had an owner who had a clue about what's going on. Massive compliancy around the place it seems to me, in multiple areas. There are only two ways out of this horrible slide that I can see right now…

Gao suddenly realises he needs to invest and ploughs millions into redeveloping the squad

We get relegated, shift the squad around and rebuild back in the lower leagues as we did before.

*sigh*

Cedric

Hoedt

Stephens

Lemina

Gabbiadini

Austin

Long

Forster

Carillo

Boufal

Ward-Prowse

Steven Davis

Nail on head unfortunately.

If I could just add Redmond to that list.

This is the main problem really, we've thrown away a great opportunity through poor recruitment and squad management. I'm not even including the crazy re-contracting of people either...

If only we had an owner who had a clue about what's going on. Massive compliancy around the place it seems to me, in multiple areas. There are only two ways out of this horrible slide that I can see right now…

Gao suddenly realises he needs to invest and ploughs millions into redeveloping the squad

We get relegated, shift the squad around and rebuild back in the lower leagues as we did before.

*sigh*

Has Gao got any money to plough in?

Why is everyone wanting Rodgers, Celtic are struggling in a pub league. Hardly inspiring.

Who are they? Personally the further away from us the better. He wasn't exactly enamoured by Saints when he ran the Bin Dippers.Sometimes life is a little better with the Devil that you know.

Why is everyone wanting Rodgers, Celtic are struggling in a pub league. Hardly inspiring.

Motivation is probably an issue for those players, they have won the league what like 9 times in a row?

They missed out on champions league which was probably the only thing that interested them.

He was good at Swansea and almost won a league with pool, which Klopp hasn't managed yet despite spending way more.

Motivation is probably an issue for those players, they have won the league what like 9 times in a row?

They missed out on champions league which was probably the only thing that interested them.

He was good at Swansea and almost won a league with pool, which Klopp hasn't managed yet despite spending way more.

If you struggle to win the Scottish league with the squad he has, you are a mess.

Klopp has achieved exactly the same as him, if not slightly more. Rodgers didn't win anything, much like Klopp. Klopp nearly won the Champions League, and probably will win the league this year. Rodgers bottled the easiest chance they've ever had.

Rodgers spent 364.95 Million. Sold 209.59 Million

Klopp spent 387.12. Million Sold 253.23 Million.

Nevermind. :mcinnes: Not sure what this has to do with Saints.

Agreed.

I doubt he would want to come here, not with our owner situation.

*sigh*

Think this situation was inevitable with us selling all of our best players over and over, we had a purple/lucky patch of selling and replacing with better but this was never going to last forever. The likes of West Ham and Everton spend more and it is hit n miss so we were never gonna keep finding these gems..

If you struggle to win the Scottish league with the squad he has, you are a mess.

Klopp has achieved exactly the same as him, if not slightly more. Rodgers didn't win anything, much like Klopp. Klopp nearly won the Champions League, and probably will win the league this year. Rodgers bottled the easiest chance they've ever had.

Rodgers spent 364.95 Million. Sold 209.59 Million

Klopp spent 387.12. Million Sold 253.23 Million.

Nevermind. :mcinnes: Not sure what this has to do with Saints.

Struggled? They have had one crappy start with a few losses probably from a champions league hangover.

They went like 70 games or something unbeaten last season and have won pretty much everything there is in Scotland over the last 4 years.

Liverpool aren't winning the league this year, they have just had a good start and 2nd is still better than Klopp has managed so far and arguably he has had better players, some of the recruitment by Liverpool was terrible.

Struggled? They have had one crappy start with a few losses probably from a champions league hangover.

They went like 70 games or something unbeaten last season and have won pretty much everything there is in Scotland over the last 4 years.

Liverpool aren't winning the league this year, they have just had a good start and 2nd is still better than Klopp has managed so far and arguably he has had better players, some of the recruitment by Liverpool was terrible.

Their recent recruitment has been excellent, mindful that nobody gets it 100% or even 70% right. You do post some turd (see previous posts).

Edited by shurlock

There's another thread for bewildering defence of Hughes and Pellegrino.

Who do people actually want to take over? Who is out there?

I'd think one of

Bosz

Javier Calleja

Van Bronckhorst

Simone Inzaghi

Brendan Rodgers

Montella

Wagner

Would Wenger fancy the challenge? Think he'd be far better suited to a club like ours. Decent football, develop young players and no pressure to win stuff. People always say no chance, too ambitious etc on these threads, then Leeds go and get Bielsa in the Championship, or Newcastle get Benitez in a relegation battle. The Premier League and money is a big draw.

Would even give Henry a shot. Just for the excitement, and do think he's an intelligent guy who wants to manage in this league. I mean when the bar is set at Mark Hughes there's not much risk is there.

Agree.

We can do better than Hughes and it's worth the risk, plus we can certainly attract someone before it's too late.

Let's hope the board (which really needs to go) realises that they waited too long last time and they pull the trigger a bit quicker.

Steve Bruce is a manager we have always admired. We have tracked his progress for years. He was always our first choice for the role when it became available. We believe Steve is the man whose owner values match those of the club and we strongly believe he is the man to return successful, attacking football to the club.

Les Reed March 2019.

I'd think one of

Bosz

Javier Calleja

Van Bronckhorst

Simone Inzaghi

Brendan Rodgers

Montella

Wagner

Would Wenger fancy the challenge? Think he'd be far better suited to a club like ours. Decent football, develop young players and no pressure to win stuff. People always say no chance, too ambitious etc on these threads, then Leeds go and get Bielsa in the Championship, or Newcastle get Benitez in a relegation battle. The Premier League and money is a big draw.

Would even give Henry a shot. Just for the excitement, and do think he's an intelligent guy who wants to manage in this league. I mean when the bar is set at Mark Hughes there's not much risk is there.

Javier Calleja was my long-term choice when we sacked Pellegrino, a young up and coming manager. Paul Cook was my short-term fix: a motivator to keep us up. Who knows how they'd have turned out? Choosing the right manager is certainly not an easy task but I think that our previous head of recruitment, Paul Mitchell, had it as close to an exact science as you could get and that he probably deserves more credit for the Pochettino appointment than Cortese who went along with him to see an Espanyol game, where he claims he noticed him, gets.

The one thing most of us agree on, however, is that appointing the usual suspects, Pardew, Hughes, Bruce and Allardyce, reeks of setting your stall out to finish 17th.

Villa fans actually think they will be getting Rogers from Celtic as they are "a big club"

I remember when fans here suggested Pep Guardiola when Adkins was under pressure.

When Leeds can bring in Bielsa...........

Villa are a huge club BTW. 4th or 5th biggest trophy haul in the land with a rich history.

Compared to us they are a big club.

So are Leeds and Forest etc but the fact of the matter is they are also in the Championship, I think a smaller club in the premier league has more chance of luring him away from European football and winning things !

Compared to us they are a big club.

'Big club' is a meaningless title only used by fans and is put into interviews by new players and managers to appease those same fans when they have nothing better to say about the club.

Villa are a championship club, with financial difficulties (so likely need to sell players and won't offer big wages), who are unlikely to get promoted any time soon and IIRC an owner looking to sell. 99% of players and managers will be judging them on those factors and nothing else.

Steve Bruce is a manager we have always admired. We have tracked his progress for years. He was always our first choice for the role when it became available. We believe Steve is the man whose owner values match those of the club and we strongly believe he is the man to return successful, attacking football to the club.

Les Reed March 2019.

Quality..........or Big Sam.......or Moyes.........or........Pullis......or(just fill in the blank)...Pardew..(nope did that one)....

I think we'll stick with Hughes until December at least, which would be a fair chance. The potential scenario of 3 managers a season has never been good for any club. If we have a manager who performs minor miracles he won't stay for long anyway (re Poch), or the club will repay the success with the sack ( re Adkins).

Football's too brutal these days, the only constant are still the fans.

Bought my son his first shirt recently, took him to the Leicester game. Still hardly took it off afterwards.

I'd think one of

Bosz

Javier Calleja

Van Bronckhorst

Simone Inzaghi

Brendan Rodgers

Montella

Wagner

Claudio Ranieri?

Why get rid of Hughes? He’s the best a poorly run club can get.

Performed a miracle last season but I’m not expecting him to do it again with an even weaker team.

Our Boardroom are an utter disgrace. Clear them out and invest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk