Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

Why are we supposing Hughes is up for the chop?? am I missing something?

Hughes has not done a lot wrong. The odd questionable team selection. Seems to rate Hoedt highly (for some reason). Other than that, cant see a lot he could have done to make us competitive. As others have said, its a very poor squad of players with a few exceptions.

Why are we supposing Hughes is up for the chop?? am I missing something?

Hughes has not done a lot wrong. The odd questionable team selection. Seems to rate Hoedt highly (for some reason). Other than that, cant see a lot he could have done to make us competitive. As others have said, its a very poor squad of players with a few exceptions.

It isn't a great squad, true. But many people, including me, think that our troubles last season were mainly (though not completely) due to Pellegrino being in charge, because he was utterly incompetent. If you still believe that to be the case, then surely any half-decent manager would be able to fare a little better with a similar crop of players? I definitely think Hughes has improved us as an attacking threat, but ultimately it's still about results and if we are looking like relegation candidates then he isn't really doing any better than his predecessor who was deemed (correctly, in my opinion) useless.

The one caveat is that we don't have Tadic this season. I was a fan, but I know some people weren't. But, I think it's fair to say that he was a player who really improved when Hughes arrived, and became a key man in our survival. So far it doesn't look like Elyounoussi or Armstrong will fill that void, whether in a similar or different way. Ings is probably the most likely to, but he's more of a striker than midfielder.

Football fan logic though isn't it. Bottom so must be rubbish. Some want a manager who has never had a difficult spell anywhere.

Wagner is clearly a good manager. His style has just been what is best suited to Huddersfield, no reason it wouldn't be different elsewhere.

Would he make us top 6 challengers again pal?

I think the fear is that if we do go down we'll either stay there for a long while or descend further, it's happened before.

However having to witness 0-0 v Burnley and getting spanked by the top 6 is not , I suspect, what fans pay the money for. I want to be entertained, see Saints win, or both. Our League 1 -> Championship -> PL adventure was hugely enjoyable, although like many I think the PL is now an insane circus, centered around a handful of big clubs. I predicted years ago that the player prices were unsustainable, but I was wrong, it's getting even more ridiculous year on year. Ticket sales contribute next to nothing to a PL clubs wealth now. The 14 other clubs are just cannon fodder for the top 6 generally. Leicester did buck that trend admittedly but that was a freak occurance.

Jumpers for goalposts now !

Seriously, why on earth should we change the manager again ?

The last three have been spectacularly inept.

Its down to the board, their strategy and the constraints they put on the incumbent manager.

Its down to having an owner who doesnt want to spend any more (Fat Kat) followed by an owner who aint interested, only wants to hold his head high in company of his business peers, and anyway aint got any money.

Unless another kind-hearted billionaire takes interest/pity, we're going down faster than a tart's knickers...

We need someone, like when Koeman came, who’s knows the European market well enough to tell them sh!thouses in the board room who he wants and respected enough to get them.

Who that man is, I just don’t know anymore.

We need someone, like when Koeman came, who’s knows the European market well enough to tell them sh!thouses in the board room who he wants and respected enough to get them.

Who that man is, I just don’t know anymore.

Of course, if you believe Les, it was the black box that spotted Pelle. That Koeman knew and managed him only tipped the scales a little bit more.

Right now we could still be relatively attractive to a half decent manager: time to assess before January and plenty of games in the tank.

Of course we won't make any change until mid-February when only fire-fighters and lunatics will want the job and come on everyone let's all get behind Chris Coleman and give him a chance.

Thankfully I didn't fear the Championship last year and I don't now. Just get it over with.

The same people who laugh at the idea of a successful, young, up and coming manager like Darren Moore, are the usual suspects who were against the idea of Eddie Howe. They prefer the old, experienced failures like Pardew, Bruce, Moyes and Hughes and they are, of course, wrong.

The chance to get Eddie Howe has passed. Darren Moore would be a great choice right now.

Seriously, why on earth should we change the manager again ?

The last three have been spectacularly inept.

Its down to the board, their strategy and the constraints they put on the incumbent manager.

Its down to having an owner who doesnt want to spend any more (Fat Kat) followed by an owner who aint interested, only wants to hold his head high in company of his business peers, and anyway aint got any money.

Unless another kind-hearted billionaire takes interest/pity, we're going down faster than a tart's knickers...

100% correct.

Pointless calling for his head. The clowns in charge will just continue to **** it up.

I agree with this. I don’t have any faith in the ability of the decision-makers at the club to make the right call. I lost it when they courted disaster with their maddening mishandling of the Pellegrino situation.

The same people who laugh at the idea of a successful, young, up and coming manager like Darren Moore, are the usual suspects who were against the idea of Eddie Howe. They prefer the old, experienced failures like Pardew, Bruce, Moyes and Hughes and they are, of course, wrong.

The chance to get Eddie Howe has passed. Darren Moore would be a great choice right now.

I've never seen or heard anyone laugh at the idea of Darren Moore becoming a manager.

I can’t see the club going after a manager who is under contract with another team.
I do agree its not what we have done recently. Chinese super league season ends in Nov, starts again in April ish. He's got just over a year left. Because of that skew in season dates I'm hoping we might break our self imposed rule of managerial appointments

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Adkins: 22.7% (5W 7D 10L) - 1.00 points/game

Pochettino: 35.2% (19W 18D 17L) - 1.39 points/game

Koeman: 47.4% (36W 15D 25L) - 1.62 points/game

Puel: 31.6% (12W 10D 16L) - 1.21 points/game

Pellegrino: 16.7% (5W 13D 12L) - 0.93 points/game

Hughes: 18.8% (3W 4D 9L) - 0.81 points/game

Goals scored per game:

Adkins 1.36

Pochettino 1.35

Koeman 1.49

Puel 1.08

Pellegrino 0.97

Hughes 0.88

Goals conceded per game:

Adkins 1.82

Pochettino 1.22

Koeman 0.97

Puel 1.26

Pellegrino 1.47

Hughes 1.63

Hughes is our lowest scoring and 2nd highest conceding manager since we returned to the PL. Having said that, sacking him is useless when the board continue to sign backup players. We might survive this season thanks to 3 other teams being worse but the idea of us being a "well run club" is a joke with our fate very much in other teams hands. Relegation is inevitable in these next few years, regardless of manager, unless something changes at the very top.

We've basically turned into Sunderland / Swansea.

Bad signings caught up with us & in a cycle where the boss who kept us up isn't the man to take us forward.

Seemingly no clue of how to sort our defence out since pre-season where "players aren't up to speed and that sort of thing [conceding 3 goals] can happen".

'If only we had a new manager' etc etc etc.

Understandable frustration and loads of suggestions for a new sticking plaster on the wound but it won't make a jot of difference, if the adequate but unspectacular Sparky was to be replaced by A.N other we'd all be back here in 3-4 months time calling for a new messiah to save us because the last one wasn't good enough.

We have a board whose height of ambition is to make sure they get their premier league payout. They don't see the club the way the average fan does, they are happy to 'sweat' the asset and their idea of a perfect season is not spending a penny more on what is needed to achieve 17th. A bit like buying a house, renting it out for as much as you can get whilst spending a minimum amount on it and then flogging it when you think you can make a bit of a return. There's no love here, no passion, no fun.

Even in the unlikely event that we managed to get an energetic ambitious manager in this board would drain the life out of him in 3 months tops.

When the wood is rotten no amount of paint is going to improve it.

Understandable frustration and loads of suggestions for a new sticking plaster on the wound but it won't make a jot of difference, if the adequate but unspectacular Sparky was to be replaced by A.N other we'd all be back here in 3-4 months time calling for a new messiah to save us because the last one wasn't good enough.

We have a board whose height of ambition is to make sure they get their premier league payout. They don't see the club the way the average fan does, they are happy to 'sweat' the asset and their idea of a perfect season is not spending a penny more on what is needed to achieve 17th. A bit like buying a house, renting it out for as much as you can get whilst spending a minimum amount on it and then flogging it when you think you can make a bit of a return. There's no love here, no passion, no fun.

Even in the unlikely event that we managed to get an energetic ambitious manager in this board would drain the life out of him in 3 months tops.

Completely agree

Well put, says what I was trying to think through on my way home last night.

Maybe as fans that is our job to help them achieve it, in the hope that one day we might find someone with ambition again, here's hoping!

That pretty much sums it up. As fans, our expectation (or hope, at least) is a top 10 place. The expectation of the Board, per our chairman, is to be a small club bobbing along the ocean but hopefully not sinking. Welcome to the Good Ship Southampton. A small fish is a big pond. Whereas down the A31, Bournemouth are pushing as high as they can ....

Interesting stat on the bbc site about us

"Since Mark Hughes' first Premier League match in charge of Southampton in March, the Saints have lost nine Premier League games - only Newcastle have lost more (10)."

If I remember right Newcastle spent something like £20m after the sales of players so can understand why they have lost a lot.

But Hughes losing 9 of 16 isn't a good record at all.

I'd give Hughes until the next international break. We've got Bournemouth and Man City away, Watford and Newcastle at home.

Need to be getting 5-6 points from those or give him the shove. I'm not convinced anyone will be able to do very much better with our squad but there comes a point when it's worth a roll of the dice - the last thing we need to do is leave it too late like last year's shambles. We need an inspired appointment plus serious action in the January window IMO.