Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

I’ve seen them linked with Rodgers and the old leipzig manager. I’d take either but doubt they’d chose us over Leicester...

I think Rodgers is an easy link for any journalist to make as it is widely rumoured he is unhappy at Celtic.

Like you I'd be happy with Hassenhutl (?) and Rodgers would be an upgrade on Hughes, but I doubt Reed has either the appetite or initiative to make the change. (Not that I'm a fan of Rodgers after summer 2014).

I will be amazed if the supposed decision makers at the club have even considered replacing Hughes.

Just can’t see it happening for a very long time, even if results do not improve.

Hope I’m wrong....but that depends on who we replace him with.

I truly hoped Hughes would push on from the end of last season....if anything,we look more turgid than ever.

But I that’s down to both Hughes, the players and the regime in charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily blame Hughes, the reason we're in the mess we are is because of previous failings on managerial appointments and the higher ups selling anyone they can. The problem is, he just hasn't really made us look much better. We score a few more to his credit, but we still concede plenty, have no real style of play and I never feel we're going to win a game.

If we can't get a win out of Bournemouth and Newcastle (massive game) then I will be of the thinking that we need to change fast, but with our board we know that won't happen until it's way further down the line.

You have to question the whole recruitment process when you have had puel Pellegrino & Hughes all in a row! What an absolute shambles! have any club in recent times employed such a poor trio of managers consecutively? like others have said till we change our recruitment policy both for managers & players we are in a non stop loop..... When did the ambition die at the club?.... Get someone in that will excite both the players & fans!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Leicester.

Looks like Leicester are going to sack Puel.

If we are going to move on from Hughes, we need to do it quick as they’ll be looking at the same targets as us.

I’ve seen them linked with Rodgers and the old leipzig manager. I’d take either but doubt they’d chose us over Leicester...

Rodgers isn't unemployed so he wont have made it into Les secret dossier of managers which he honestly have been tracking for literally years and are all definitely a great fit for us it's just an amazing coincidence they are always unemployed when we need a manager. The other guy might be if he's out of work as Les will have tracked him for years and know all about him.

In any case we're stuck with Hughes now, they wont sack him, it'd look too bad on Les for nausing up another manager. I'm still amused at Ralphs comments that every time we thought about sacking Pellegrino they didn't because results improved. And to think a club that slaps itself on the back for carefully planning everything well ahead of it happening were so influenced by the result of the last game.

In any case we're stuck with Hughes now, they wont sack him, it'd look too bad on Les for nausing up another manager. I'm still amused at Ralphs comments that every time we thought about sacking Pellegrino they didn't because results improved. And to think a club that slaps itself on the back for carefully planning everything well ahead of it happening were so influenced by the result of the last game.

Even more curious as the muppet Pelligrino only won 5 league games and none back to back. Results only ever improved for one game, then went back to normal. Complete cop out, we all know they wanted him to succeed so they could look like it was justified, when anyone with a brain knew he was utterly hopeless and it was never going to turn around.

Even more curious as the muppet Pelligrino only won 5 league games and none back to back. Results only ever improved for one game, then went back to normal. Complete cop out, we all know they wanted him to succeed so they could look like it was justified, when anyone with a brain knew he was utterly hopeless and it was never going to turn around.[/QUOT

and don't forget he was brought in to bring exciting football , but it seemed they hadnt told him that !

Even more curious as the muppet Pelligrino only won 5 league games and none back to back. Results only ever improved for one game, then went back to normal. Complete cop out, we all know they wanted him to succeed so they could look like it was justified, when anyone with a brain knew he was utterly hopeless and it was never going to turn around.

yep. same reason we persisted with Forster, put Redmond up top initially to get his market value increased if he scored and now currently doing with Hoedt.

we live on hope that things will turn out good (to sell),but no longer plans (@Ralph- where are the pledges at :lol:).

It really wouldn't. We were a very good side when he came in, and he took us backwards doing an average job.

Now we're abysmal and he's a far better manager than we have currently.

Time moves forward and situations change.

Still want Jardim though, but we seem to be the one club not prepared to pay out on managers even though it's by far the most important role.

Because you can't make money on managers (except in rare circumstances like Koeman and even then it was a huge amount). Our whole business model seems to be about return on investment. Which is fine as an overarching concept, I actually agree with it, but don't think we should be quite so strict with it, especially when it comes to the manager.

Because you can't make money on managers (except in rare circumstances like Koeman and even then it was a huge amount). Our whole business model seems to be about return on investment. Which is fine as an overarching concept, I actually agree with it, but don't think we should be quite so strict with it, especially when it comes to the manager.

The question is why couldnt we use a portion of that to buy out another manager.

We've saved in wages anyway since him so there is really no acceptable reason why we couldn't go for an employed manager

The question is why couldnt we use a portion of that to buy out another manager.

We've saved in wages anyway since him so there is really no acceptable reason why we couldn't go for an employed manager

Not if we factor in the compensation paid in severance I doubt it.

[quote=adriansfc

Still want Jardim though, but we seem to be the one club not prepared to pay out on managers even though it's by far the most important role.

We DO pay out on managers........Puel 2 x £3m per and Mope 2 x £3m per = £12m wasted. Now another £6 on Hughes. Well done Les Reed. HOW is he not vilified at home matches?

We DO pay out on managers........Puel 2 x £3m per and Mope 2 x £3m per = £12m wasted. Now another £6 on Hughes. Well done Les Reed. HOW is he not vilified at home matches?

Would be a great 6 months for Mark.

Comes in, keeps us up (with 2 wins) earns his £1m bonus + wages.

Takes job full times (reported £3.2m a year) and gets booted after a couple months walking away with £5-£8m

How long has he been with us?

He doesn't even know a effective formation to play.....

What has he been doing with the lads playing scrabble and having tea cakes?

Such as? How long would _they_ get?

I don't necessarily think Hughes has all the answers, but any manager given Long and Carillo (we still own him..!) as a major part of his strike force must be given some leeway. One does get concerned when a player like Hoedt states they don't do enough defensive training and drills like he did at Lazio, but I'm not sure he's the most reliable witness and sounds a bit like passing the buck. Perhaps he should speak to the manager and not the press?

At least we are seeing more out of Redmond, and about time for a goal from him. I wish Pellegrino had gone earlier, but I don't think getting in to a cycle of replacing managers so quickly is going to encourage any decent ones to come, or only the most conceited who are after the extra money we'll have to pay.

At least we are seeing more out of Redmond, and about time for a goal from him.

I was among those agreeing that he at least *looks* better this season, but his stats for the league are still no goals and no assists in 8 games. What's more, for all that, he's probably still our most dangerous player behind Ings, which is terrifying for someone with no decisive contributions in twelve hours of football.

One does get concerned when a player like Hoedt states they don't do enough defensive training and drills like he did at Lazio, but I'm not sure he's the most reliable witness and sounds a bit like passing the buck. Perhaps he should speak to the manager and not the press?

What's worrying is that players at Stoke said the same thing

Hughes has had an impossible job in many ways. His keeping us up last season was an incredible achievement and he probably should have parted ways with the club then whilst his stock was high. Keeping us up two years on the trot following the two worst managers in our history (except Branfoot) was always going to be a thankless task. I don't care who it is, even Pep wouldn't be able to turn this mess around following the damage Puel and Pellegrino caused.

However, trying to sack him now would be silly. Any attempt now by the club to try and survive relegation this season would be dangerous and disruptive. The sooner we accept that we're down the sooner we can build for next season and longer term. Let's say we go all out for survival now and then get relegated on the last day.. imagine the pain not only the fans will suffer but the club too. It's the hope that kills you, eh?

We mustn't spend another penny on trying to stay up this season and the players need to go into relaxation mode to avoid serious injuries. Play nice football, keep your fitness high, sure. But we can't go into games trying to win anymore as we need to focus on the long game.

It's damage limitation now. Puel (mainly) and then Pellegrino (partly) have utterly destroyed the soul of this club and only a decade or two down in the lower leagues will fix it.

Hughes has had an impossible job in many ways. His keeping us up last season was an incredible achievement and he probably should have parted ways with the club then whilst his stock was high. Keeping us up two years on the trot following the two worst managers in our history (except Branfoot) was always going to be a thankless task. I don't care who it is, even Pep wouldn't be able to turn this mess around following the damage Puel and Pellegrino caused.

However, trying to sack him now would be silly. Any attempt now by the club to try and survive relegation this season would be dangerous and disruptive. The sooner we accept that we're down the sooner we can build for next season and longer term. Let's say we go all out for survival now and then get relegated on the last day.. imagine the pain not only the fans will suffer but the club too. It's the hope that kills you, eh?

We mustn't spend another penny on trying to stay up this season and the players need to go into relaxation mode to avoid serious injuries. Play nice football, keep your fitness high, sure. But we can't go into games trying to win anymore as we need to focus on the long game.

It's damage limitation now. Puel (mainly) and then Pellegrino (partly) have utterly destroyed the soul of this club and only a decade or two down in the lower leagues will fix it.

Two worst managers of our history? Puel got us to a cup final and 8th placed, statistically (god i sound like that freak MLG) he was one of our best managers ever.

Yeh, in terms of achievements this century, Koeman has to be top, then it goes:

Puel

Strachan

Pochettino

Adkins (would be higher obviously but I'm going by Premier League only for this list)

Sturrock

Pellegrino

Wigley

Redknapp

Relative to the strength of the squad, Puel would be top by a country mile.

What??? Give up before the end of October? Jesus

Yeh, in terms of achievements this century, Koeman has to be top, then it goes:

Puel

Strachan

Pochettino

Adkins (would be higher obviously but I'm going by Premier League only for this list)

Sturrock

Pellegrino

Wigley

Redknapp

Relative to the strength of the squad, Puel would be top by a country mile.

I still maintain that Puel was a decent manager and should've been given a season more. Away from home we looked a good side, some of our play off the break was as good as the best of Koeman's.

Obviously it was out of our hands as he lost the dressing room, but i do wonder what would've been if the board had backed him and got rid of the problem players, especially since they've caused similar problems ever since (with one or two new ones joining their fun).

Would be a great 6 months for Mark.

Comes in, keeps us up (with 2 wins) earns his £1m bonus + wages.

Takes job full times (reported £3.2m a year) and gets booted after a couple months walking away with £5-£8m

He is following the BFS school of management technique!

If he follows he model correctly he should also only have to work 6 months a year and will get every Xmas off!

The Football is better than under Pellegrino but not under Puel and I was Puel out....

Yes, we're all to blame.

I didn't particularly want Puel out, although I disliked his negative approach, because I was concerned that we were beginning to get into a habit of changing managers too often like that which preceded our relegation. However neither did I campaign to keep him.

Whilst some fans were planks when it came to Puel, he wasn't sacked because of fan sentiment. He was sacked because some of our players hated him and the dressing room atmosphere was bad.

As Ericb says, maybe that was the wrong call because the squad still seems to be in a bad place, mentally, but it's easier to replace a manager than a bunch of players so I can see why we got rid. The real problem was the dire appointment of Pellegrino, compounded with the Van Dijk situation and the wasted money on Carillo, Hoedt, Forster, Bednarek, Boufal and not reacting soon enough when it became clear that Pellegrino was out of his depth.

Whilst some fans were planks when it came to Puel, he wasn't sacked because of fan sentiment. He was sacked because some of our players hated him and the dressing room atmosphere was bad.

As Ericb says, maybe that was the wrong call because the squad still seems to be in a bad place, mentally, but it's easier to replace a manager than a bunch of players so I can see why we got rid. The real problem was the dire appointment of Pellegrino, compounded with the Van Dijk situation and the wasted money on Carillo, Hoedt, Forster, Bednarek, Boufal and not reacting soon enough when it became clear that Pellegrino was out of his depth.

Good post

Harsh on Bednarek, he’s a decent signing with plenty of potential, and only 5m. Agree on the others though. Think we need to sign some verified talent though, Our gambles aren’t playing off atm.

Harsh on Bednarek, he’s a decent signing with plenty of potential, and only 5m. Agree on the others though. Think we need to sign some verified talent though, Our gambles aren’t playing off atm.

I've got nothing against Bednarek but it's an odd signing. He barely got a look in until we had some injuries and went to 3 at the back last season. We've subsequently signed Vestergaard and now tend to play 4 at the back so he's unlikely to play much this season.

There's just no need for a Premier League club to be signing players in their 20s who can't make an impact on the first XI unless you're just desperate for cover (which we're not, we've got plenty of CBs). He might improve to the level of Yoshida, for example, but he's never going to be Lovren, Aldeweireld, van Dijk or even prime Fonte, so it's a retrograde signing.

Can’t argue with this. If I learned anything from the Pellegrino situation, it is that the club don’t listen to the supporters when it comes to the performance of the first team managers.

I still have hope for Bednarek. He wasn’t a big money risk when compared with the others (reported as a £5M buy). The Forster contract situation was ridiculous.

2/10.

I would've given 1/10, but you get the extra mark for 2 bites.

As much as I would like him to come here, I think he's got his sights a lot higher than us. Unless we've completely changed our strategy and are going to be throwing mega bucks around.

I think it’s feasible we could get him (puts him in the shop window over here, career wise)... but we won’t, because we will dither, like we always do.

I still maintain that Puel was a decent manager and should've been given a season more. Away from home we looked a good side, some of our play off the break was as good as the best of Koeman's.

Obviously it was out of our hands as he lost the dressing room, but i do wonder what would've been if the board had backed him and got rid of the problem players, especially since they've caused similar problems ever since (with one or two new ones joining their fun).

How has Hughes not lost the dressing room??? Did he ever have it?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk