Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

This 1000000000000% was the first to suggest him on here.

Story probably lifted from here. It would be more accurate for the journalist to have written "... Hughes under pressure (?) .. poor results... so a few mongboarders want an unrealistic manager who could probably walk into a top job rather than the current shambles at SFC ..."

Put all the St Mary,s seat numbers in hat and draw out one number at half time during the next home game. Whoever it is becomes the next manager and gets paid the national average wage.

They will be ****e and out of their depth but at least the club will save a bit of money.

Are people STILL suggesting that the problem is the manager? After our third one you'd think people would realise that the problem is the recruitment and the group of players we have. Changing the manager may give a temporary boost but then we are just going to be back where we were before. Nothing will change until we change some of those above the manager and get rid of the rest of the problem players.

Are people STILL suggesting that the problem is the manager? After our third one you'd think people would realise that the problem is the recruitment and the group of players we have. Changing the manager may give a temporary boost but then we are just going to be back where we were before. Nothing will change until we change some of those above the manager and get rid of the rest of the problem players.

It's both. And even then there will still be an issue with leadership above the manager.

But that doesn't mean the manager is absolved from doing a bad job. Our defensive set up has been all over the place this season. We have an unhealthy interest in playing a 4 across midfield and we can't manage games.

Yes, it's clearly both manager and players. In short, a mess

Put all the St Mary,s seat numbers in hat and draw out one number at half time during the next home game. Whoever it is becomes the next manager and gets paid the national average wage.

They will be ****e and out of their depth but at least the club will save a bit of money.

You just know they’ll probably line up Kelvin Davis as replacement......

This 1000000000000% was the first to suggest him on here.

I think you’ll find I suggested him 4 years ago while he was manager of Sporting. I said he was great at putting young teams together and would be a good fit for our model. He then went on to do that to great success Monaco. Of course he wasn’t unemployed then so Les wouldn’t have him in his secret file of managers hes been tracking for years that are a great fit for us and that were always our first choice to replace the outgoing manager, but he is in there now, went on the list last week in fact.

It's all of it, it's board decisions, recruitment and management. Can't really credit Hughes with much when we spent all season playing 4-4-2, yet spent all pre-season playing 5-3-2 and we have no real identity in our play, shape, pressing etc. Even if the players are just average (which they are not, they wouldn't have been getting into teams like Juve, Lazio, Bayern etc. if they were some average player or championship level player) Hughes is still not really getting the best out of them and it must be tough for the players when we have no real definable identity or style.

Yes. The manager IS the problem.

Lemina... part of a champions league winning team

Cedric.. Euro 2016 winner

Etc etc.

We have some decent footballers at saints.

Unfortunately they are not allowed to express themselves.

I’ll give you an example.

Do you remember 3 seasons ago when we scored goals for fun?bertie used to overlap a dozen times during a game.

Today he did it twice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But having read the rest of your post yes.. I agree. The blame lies much further up than just the manager.

So what's the answer? Sack Another manager? And when we replace him and then the next one performs in a similar manner to the last three what then? Not much will change simply by changing the manager.

So what's the answer? Sack Another manager? And when we replace him and then the next one performs in a similar manner to the last three what then? Not much will change simply by changing the manager.

The answer is to go down and have a clear out from top to bottom.

Lots of staff on bloated salaries sucking the funds out of the club due to bad decision making. I.e. Forster as 3rd choice keeper on about 80k a week.

And as for a manager... I just want one he has a strategy that involves attacking.

I didn’t like puel but at least he had a tactical idea.

I was one of the ones who wanted him out and right now I regret it.

The answer is to go down and have a clear out from top to bottom.

Lots of staff on bloated salaries sucking the funds out of the club due to bad decision making. I.e. Forster as 3rd choice keeper on about 80k a week.

And as for a manager... I just want one he has a strategy that involves attacking.

I didn’t like puel but at least he had a tactical idea.

I was one of the ones who wanted him out and right now I regret it.

I very much doubt we would be doing much better had we kept puel. People forget how rubbish we were under him with better players than we have now.

Whilst some fans were planks when it came to Puel, he wasn't sacked because of fan sentiment. He was sacked because some of our players hated him and the dressing room atmosphere was bad.

As Ericb says, maybe that was the wrong call because the squad still seems to be in a bad place, mentally, but it's easier to replace a manager than a bunch of players so I can see why we got rid. The real problem was the dire appointment of Pellegrino, compounded with the Van Dijk situation and the wasted money on Carillo, Hoedt, Forster, Bednarek, Boufal and not reacting soon enough when it became clear that Pellegrino was out of his depth.

Agree with this. The mentality of the squad, body language, togetherness just lacking completely. We have some guys with undoubted quality (I’m thinking Cedric, Bertrand, Lemina, Hoj) who just seem simply apathetic to be circa 10 points behind the likes of Wolves, Bournemouth and Watford after 9 games of the season.

Hughes is blowing smoke up them this evening like they’ve just won the Champions League.

They won’t get relegated but a complacent squad without much bottle managed by an unlikable dinosaur is just a boring place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have some guys with undoubted quality (I’m thinking Cedric, Bertrand, Lemina, Hoj)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notice when people mention we have quality in the squad no one mentions anyone creative or a striker. That’s our problem and that’s why Hughes has had to play around with different formations.

We struggled in this area big time last season and then flogged our most creative player in the summer - what exactly did we expect to happen? Ings has been a good addition but Mo doesn’t look as effective as Tadic so from a creative midfield situation the squad has gone backwards.

Notice when people mention we have quality in the squad no one mentions anyone creative or a striker. That’s our problem and that’s why Hughes has had to play around with different formations.

We struggled in this area big time last season and then flogged our most creative player in the summer - what exactly did we expect to happen? Ings has been a good addition but Mo doesn’t look as effective as Tadic so from a creative midfield situation the squad has gone backwards.

Fuking weird selling Tadic and not bringing a more obvious quality

Guess we never sold him for a big enough fee

Fuking weird selling Tadic and not bringing a more obvious quality

Guess we never sold him for a big enough fee

Even if we kept Tadic we needed to add quality. Instead all they did was spend a few million on someone who didn’t even stand out in the Scottish league. I’m struggling to see what Hughes can do with this squad until we get some pace and creativity. He certainly doesn’t have the players to play 4-2-3-1.

Even if we kept Tadic we needed to add quality. Instead all they did was spend a few million on someone who didn’t even stand out in the Scottish league. I’m struggling to see what Hughes can do with this squad until we get some pace and creativity. He certainly doesn’t have the players to play 4-2-3-1.

Fair point. We needed direct pace since mane left.

I would welcome anyone at this point over the f****g dinosaur we have. Its not even entertaining - it is long ball s**t and he is everything the SToke fans warned us about. Statistically he must be about the worst manager we have ever had now.

Could not agree more. Right up there in the Allardyce School of Coaching. Wish the Fergie wanabee would just f**k off. None of his ‘prodigies’ have made it as managers, same with the Busby Babes, Bobby Charlton at Preston anyone..?

Good point at Bournemouth after Hughes had some time to work with the defence. Beat Newcastle and we will be mid-table and still in the cup. And the football is better to watch than the last two seasons as well. I am not convinced a replacement for Hughes is needed. And I am pretty sure that if we are mid-table it won't happen.

Good point at Bournemouth after Hughes had some time to work with the defence. Beat Newcastle and we will be mid-table and still in the cup. And the football is better to watch than the last two seasons as well. I am not convinced a replacement for Hughes is needed. And I am pretty sure that if we are mid-table it won't happen.

And if we don’t beat Newcastle?

Seriously do you think it can go on this no wins every single week?

A draw at Bournemouth is a decent result, we had the chances to win and it sounded like a good performance.

Hughes needs a win against Newcastle and continued improvement to avoid the chop. I think this squad will struggle whoever is in charge but fail to beat Newcastle in their current state and you might as well roll the dice.

Yeah, I think it's clear that, putting us aside, the relegated teams will come from Cardiff, Fulham, Huddersfield and Newcastle. It will take a pretty major screw up by anyone else to finish below that lot. Brighton, Burnley and Bournemouth are poor top flight teams but they manage to find wins often enough. Palace should have enough. I fancy Wolves to do worse than people seem to expect but to get over the line.

So if we don't beat some of that first group at home we really are going to struggle. Screw up next week and I think we've got to take action.

Edited by benjii

Some folk need to grow a pair and calm down. Hughes did great job in keeping us up against the odds when it looked too late. We should as an absolute minimum wait until we have played everyone once to get some proper perspective. A team finishing 17th that then the next season finishes say 12th is decent progress. We are yet to play any of the relegation candidates. If we don’t win either of our next two home games then that will be concerning but I think we will. The key is to target 20 points at the halfway mark, so 14 more from the next 10 games. Then push on from there. Yesterday is a decent point, can remember us being badly beaten down there under Koeman to a much weaker Bournemouth team.

Some folk need to grow a pair and calm down. Hughes did great job in keeping us up against the odds when it looked too late. We should as an absolute minimum wait until we have played everyone once to get some proper perspective. A team finishing 17th that then the next season finishes say 12th is decent progress. We are yet to play any of the relegation candidates. If we don’t win either of our next two home games then that will be concerning but I think we will. The key is to target 20 points at the halfway mark, so 14 more from the next 10 games. Then push on from there. Yesterday is a decent point, can remember us being badly beaten down there under Koeman to a much weaker Bournemouth team.

I don't need to see any more games to know we will be lucky to get 14 points in 11 games to reach the half way mark, he has had 9 games plus cup and the games last season and we have seen 0 improvement but more running around and more hoof it football, that is not progression, we are still going back wards under MH and he needs removing before its to late

A perfect match in that he fits Reeds No1 criteria of currently being unemployed ?

The articles I've seen read well and as if he would have matched our self publiscised profile after the Poch-Koeman era of course but our stock has fallen and it seems we are no longer the 'attractive football' bringing through the endless conveyor belt of talent (the Southamptonwayb0ll0cks#).

The prospect of Jardim or even Hasenhuttl would be a perceived improvement, as would Rodgers (although still find the spectre of Rodgers2014 makes that a difficult one to overcome), all would p[robably be a good choice with a summer to sort out their squad and prepare it. Have to question how they'd manage to motivate our lot, all have been at clubs with a better track record of recruitment (for their respective leagues) than us over the last few seasons and none to my knowledge have experienced a relegation dog fight.

Match of the day even mentioned he's lined up as a possible replacement

They were only stating there had been a report on it in the press, nothing new or more informed than that.

Agreed give him Newcastle and get rid get that Monaco matey in...

What if Benitez gets the push or walks away this week, and they get Monaco matey in ?

Or Puel is dumped from Leicester and he ends up there.

Pardew went after a 4-0 win away, and Adkins after a very creditable comeback and 2-2 draw at Chelsea. But that was under a different regime whereas Pellegrino nearly lasted to Easter. Don't expect Hughes to be going this side of Christmas.

Edited by Badger

Replace Hughes and we'd be on the next manager's back within 3/4 months. Problems start at the top, the club is drifting with an invisible chairman and poor leadership. Whilst the cat's away the mice will play.
Thats it exactly the issue is above Hughes. Until we get rid of Krueger, Reed and Wilson doesnt matter who takes over.

I am amazed a clever millionaire like Gao cant see past the b/s spun to him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The trouble is our ability to attract coaches of this calibre disappeared with Cortese, I can't see someone like this being sold a vision by Reed, Krueger, Gao et al...

The trouble is our ability to attract coaches of this calibre disappeared with Cortese, I can't see someone like this being sold a vision by Reed, Krueger, Gao et al...
We "attracted" Pardew and Adkins to take a step down, but hardly some amazing selling job to get them to come to the richest club in League One by a mile.

And he wouldn't have needed to "attract" Pochettino, who was out of work after failing in his last role. I've no doubt he leapt at the chance, as he would have if it was Leicester or West Ham.

Meanwhile, Koeman and Puel had both won the league somewhere and had extensive European experience.

We "attracted" Pardew and Adkins to take a step down, but hardly some amazing selling job to get them to come to the richest club in League One by a mile.

And he wouldn't have needed to "attract" Pochettino, who was out of work after failing in his last role. I've no doubt he leapt at the chance, as he would have if it was Leicester or West Ham.

Meanwhile, Koeman and Puel had both won the league somewhere and had extensive European experience.

How did he fail at Espanyol exactly?

He had never managed before and saved them from going down. The following season taking them to their 2nd highest league position since 1995.

He then got top 8-10 finishes in every season but his last. Espanyol then got into financial difficulty and sold most of their best players without re-investing. In his last 2 seasons they sold £70m of players and spent only £6m on new ones. In the last season not even spending £1m.

Was he expected to win the league after selling everyone or something?

How did he fail at Espanyol exactly?

He had never managed before and saved them from going down. The following season taking them to their 2nd highest league position since 1995.

He then got top 8-10 finishes in every season but his last. Espanyol then got into financial difficulty and sold most of their best players without re-investing. In his last 2 seasons they sold £70m of players and spent only £6m on new ones. In the last season not even spending £1m.

Was he expected to win the league after selling everyone or something?

When he left Espanyol they had 9 pts from 13 games there may have been a good reason for it but he still ended up jobless. So CBs point that it wasn't exactly difficult to offer an out of work manager, with a pretty small CV, a shot at the PL pretty much holds true.

When he left Espanyol they had 9 pts from 13 games there may have been a good reason for it but he still ended up jobless. So CBs point that it wasn't exactly difficult to offer an out of work manager, with a pretty small CV, a shot at the PL pretty much holds true.

But he was not sacked which is what he is implying. He left because they were not going to re-invest money and he had to use the kids to play. I think getting 9 points from 13 games with a terrible squad is decent going. We have 6 points from 9 and have spent a fortune.

At that point MoPo had a very good reputation and was wanted by lots of clubs. He was only out of work for a month or so. So whilst it isn't hard to offer a job to someone without one, it is more difficult to offer it to someone who has a lot of options.

Look at Rafa at Newcastle. Would you say he has failed? And when he leaves due to not having any money to buy players will his reputation have been tarnished?

Overall at Espanyol MoPo had a very good record considering what he had to deal with. He basically did the same-thing when he joined us. Didn't sign many players (3 I think?) and just got more out of the players he already had. Which is what he was known for.

So to say he failed is wrong.

But he was not sacked which is what he is implying. He left because they were not going to re-invest money and he had to use the kids to play. I think getting 9 points from 13 games with a terrible squad is decent going. We have 6 points from 9 and have spent a fortune.

At that point MoPo had a very good reputation and was wanted by lots of clubs. He was only out of work for a month or so. So whilst it isn't hard to offer a job to someone without one, it is more difficult to offer it to someone who has a lot of options.

Look at Rafa at Newcastle. Would you say he has failed? And when he leaves due to not having any money to buy players will his reputation have been tarnished?

Overall at Espanyol MoPo had a very good record considering what he had to deal with. He basically did the same-thing when he joined us. Didn't sign many players (3 I think?) and just got more out of the players he already had. Which is what he was known for.

Its two different arguments.

CB is arguing whether it was hard to attract Poch to Southampton at the time we did

and you are arguing over whether he did a good job at Espanyol

Thats it exactly the issue is above Hughes. Until we get rid of Krueger, Reed and Wilson doesnt matter who takes over.

I am amazed a clever millionaire like Gao cant see past the b/s spun to him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What makes you think he's clever?

His record at Espanyol is pretty much what Espanyol achieve most of the time, forever.

In his three full seasons, Pochettino's average finish, 11th. Before that, and after that, that's what they achieve/achieved. Sometimes 5th, sometimes 15th but usually 8th - 13th.

Mid table La Liga team achieving mid-table finishes. Breathtaking stuff.

Anyway I was making the point that he wasn't a manager that required a huge amount of "attracting". And happy to stand by that.