Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

If Reed appoints Allardyce it will be a clear sign of utter madness. Or that he’s finally lost any resemblance of competence. I just can’t believe the Board would sanction another managerial change let along one involving a merry-go-round fool like BFS.

Hughes needs to be held accountable for once. What is needed is a re-think of the attackers in the team...2-3 new names in and 2-3 outgoing in January might be enough.

Depends who is selecting them though.

This doesn't answer some of the other criticisms, not least of all fitness. Mentioned this to a Stoke fan today and his response was that this was an often commented on aspect during his time there, that his teams often appeared overrun easily after 65-70 minutes.

Bosz would be a fun appointment. I'd rather see us at least try again to land a Pochettino/Koeman (with the risk of the other two sure) than conform to the dull merry-go round.

Why would he be a "fun appointment" ?

Presumably on the reputation for a passing and pressing game but his record seems a mixed lot from reading about him. It's easy to make a case for and against most names specualted on but reading on Bosz seems he was promising at Arnham, had a year at Ajax (no doubt benefiting from the youth set up which churns out a crop year after year rather than once ageneration, Les take note), but failed at Dortmund.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/borussia-dortmund-and-peter-bosz-what-went-wrong-466231.jsp

Keegan to replace Reed

Shearer to replace Hughes....

Would raise spirits a bit and at least we might score goals

With Shearer's 100% relegation record, and Keegan's complete lack of bottle, I can tell you one spirit that would not be raised in the slightest!

Ok you make your point about Shearer/Keegan which was a tongue in cheek suggestion

But

Everyone harping on about Allardyce Moyes and co replacing Hughes

They all fail miserably with relegation or poor football

get sacked then re-employed for millions

The bottom line is we need to attract better players

with medioca managers they sign the same standard of player

How many fans here regularly say Long, Austin , Hoedt, and Forster aren’t good enough?

The only way you get better players is with a big name manager.

More importantly we need to play our best players and keep them rather the sell them

Fulham could turn to Scott Parker as a Jokanovic replacement instead of the usual suspects, according to the Telegraph...

“Rather than immediately asking a firefighter such as David Moyes or Sam Allardyce to take over, sources close to the club believe Fulham would be more likely to give first-team coach Parker the opportunity to stake his claim...

...Jokanovic introduced an attractive, passing style that Fulham would be reluctant to ditch by replacing the Serb with Moyes, Allardyce or Steve Bruce, despite their current predicament.“

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/07/fulham-could-give-scott-parker-shot-manager-slavisa-jokanovic/

I assume he is safe for now then? No way the club could recruit a new DOF and manager at the same time...

This. Unless Hughes walks, which is possible, there is no way we will or should sack him while there is no one in charge of football. Krueger and the owners are clueless, what we don't need right now is for them to appoint someone. I just worry about how they are going to get a new DOF, with their collective lack of knowledge.

Ok you make your point about Shearer/Keegan which was a tongue in cheek suggestion

But

Everyone harping on about Allardyce Moyes and co replacing Hughes

They all fail miserably with relegation or poor football

get sacked then re-employed for millions

The bottom line is we need to attract better players

with medioca managers they sign the same standard of player

How many fans here regularly say Long, Austin , Hoedt, and Forster aren’t good enough?

The only way you get better players is with a big name manager.

More importantly we need to play our best players and keep them rather the sell them

Yeah I would be unhappy with anybody off of that merry-go-round besides Allardyce (but granted think the general reception would be negative so probably wouldn't last with us either).

For me, as much as I can't stand the guy, Brendan Rodgers is the semi-realistic dream - perhaps a new DoF and 'project' may allow us to attract a slightly bigger/better name than we would have been able to until this morning. I just feel like Rodgers needs a middling Prem success before he's worth a punt with another 'big' club. What he's done at Celtic is decent but he's still failed in Europe and their league is **** easy, I can't see a big club using his time in Scotland as a justification for hiring him anytime soon.

Alternatively go back to the European route which I still maintain we didn't **** up with Puel, but absolutely did **** up with Pellegrino. Puel wanted to use the academy players, look at the overhaul he's done with Leicester (albeit the level of success is still debated among their fanbase like it was/is among ours), I think in that sense he was actually a very good fit for us and all the young players he tried to get involved regularly have gone from European nights and Premier League football to mediocre loan spells in the lower leagues. We shouldn't be adverse to taking a punt just because Pellegrino was so appallingly bad, at our level if you don't gamble you normally end up standing still at best, or regressing like we have in the last two years. We could easily become an attractive proposition once again, it just needs a few decent decisions and a bit of luck.

We might approve both at the same time, I'd presume the club were already looking at the managers anyway and I'd hope they were looking at DPFs as well.

Or we might get a guy in who then reviews it a bit and then makes an assessment.

Can't see Hughes failing consistently over the next 4-5 games and just getting away with it just because we have no DOF

Reed sacked, not Hughes. Good decision.

You can only work with the tools you’re given so now it’s time for Gao to invest and let Hughes do what he did at Man City and set us up for greatness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've been on the sauce again.

We might approve both at the same time, I'd presume the club were already looking at the managers anyway and I'd hope they were looking at DPFs as well.

Or we might get a guy in who then reviews it a bit and then makes an assessment.

Can't see Hughes failing consistently over the next 4-5 games and just getting away with it just because we have no DOF

I can. I could well imagine the new guys first job is to get in a new manager but knowing saints it will take several weeks to sort out the Les replacement. I'd rather that ( assuming the new guy is a competent football person) than having Ralph and Goa trying to hire a new manager on their own..

Worth putting this here from today’s Jeremy Wilson article...

“...the position of Hughes is not under any imminent danger, the decision on Reed reflects a desire not to make the same perceived mistakes of last season by waiting to act before making changes...”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/08/vice-chairman-les-reed-sacked-southampton/

“...the position of Hughes is not under any imminent danger, the decision on Reed reflects a desire not to make the same perceived mistakes of last season by waiting to act before making changes...”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/08/vice-chairman-les-reed-sacked-southampton/

Its a slightly odd article it acknowledges the Les got sacked for poor transfer windows and then in the next breath says the club hierarchy think the squad has a lot of quality ….

By ‘perceived’ mistakes they mean actual mistakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allardyce apparently responded to the Southampton rumours on Talksport...

“They've ruined themselves by selling. They've ruined the club, the stature and creating a new modern-day history by the fact that rather than keeping the players they've continually sold off their home grown talent first and then people like (Dejan) Lovren have moved on,"

"I'm off to Dubai next week, I can't see myself taking a job in the next three weeks at least! I've booked Dubai for New Year."

https://amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/11/09/do-sam-allardyce-responds-when-asked-if-he-wants-southampton-job/

Allardyce apparently responded to the Southampton rumours on Talksport...

“They've ruined themselves by selling. They've ruined the club, the stature and creating a new modern-day history by the fact that rather than keeping the players they've continually sold off their home grown talent first and then people like (Dejan) Lovren have moved on,"

"I'm off to Dubai next week, I can't see myself taking a job in the next three weeks at least! I've booked Dubai for New Year."

https://amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/11/09/do-sam-allardyce-responds-when-asked-if-he-wants-southampton-job/

Allardyce acting like we're interested in him lol

Bit concerning:

Notebook: FIFA investigating whether #MCFC have broken TPO rules; #Southampton owner Gao Jisheng to pick club’s next manager; #Burnley’s technical director search hits stumbling block; #Leicester’s week of mourning; Courtois still at odds with Conte. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fifa-investigates-manchester-city-over-alleged-third-party-ownership-breach-w097szvnh

Bit concerning:

Notebook: FIFA investigating whether #MCFC have broken TPO rules; #Southampton owner Gao Jisheng to pick club’s next manager; #Burnley’s technical director search hits stumbling block; #Leicester’s week of mourning; Courtois still at odds with Conte. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fifa-investigates-manchester-city-over-alleged-third-party-ownership-breach-w097szvnh

Matt Hughes was quite clued on them before they took over, IIRC.

Can't read the full article though. LOL @ Hughes / Ralph / Gao all on completely different paths.

There is no substance to that article... it is just the Express calling a chat with David Prutton making a suggestion of Bielsa an 'exclusive'. It is bizarre that the Express decided to write an article about a David Prutton suggestion, let alone label it an exclusive for click bait purposes.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Matt Hughes was quite clued on them before they took over, IIRC.

Can't read the full article though. LOL @ Hughes / Ralph / Gao all on completely different paths.

Gao to pick manager

Southampton owner Gao Jisheng will take personal charge of appointing the club’s next manager if they sack Mark Hughes.

The Chinese businessman has not been impressed with the two managers he has worked with since buying the club last year, Hughes and Mauricio Pellegrino, which led to the decision to dismiss Les Reed, the vice-chairman, and Martin Hunter, the technical director, this week. Gao’s daughter, Nelly, is on the Southampton board and the pair will work closely together to plan their next managerial move rather than relying on the club’s staff.

Gao to pick manager

Southampton owner Gao Jisheng will take personal charge of appointing the club’s next manager if they sack Mark Hughes.

The Chinese businessman has not been impressed with the two managers he has worked with since buying the club last year, Hughes and Mauricio Pellegrino, which led to the decision to dismiss Les Reed, the vice-chairman, and Martin Hunter, the technical director, this week. Gao’s daughter, Nelly, is on the Southampton board and the pair will work closely together to plan their next managerial move rather than relying on the club’s staff.

well he probably can't do any worse than the recent shower of sh*te that has been appointed.

Gao to pick manager

So Nelly is to be the next D0F! You really could not make this up.

Gao to pick manager

I look forward to Paolo Di Canio or Sven-Göran Eriksson as our new manager soon then.....