Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

He has a decent record over the last 6 years and one thing about him is his teams fitness levels are very high which is the totally opposite of our lot at the moment

A good record and his problems here weren’t really results related.

Worth pointing out that things went downhill somewhat after that article was written for Sousa at Fiorentina. They finished up 5th in his first season and 8th in his second. Compared with 4 4th placed finishes in a row under previous manager Montella.

Reckon he would be something of a gamble particularly given previous failures in this country albeit a fair while ago.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Worth pointing out that things went downhill somewhat after that article was written for Sousa at Fiorentina. They finished up 5th in his first season and 8th in his second. Compared with 4 4th placed finishes in a row under previous manager Montella.

Reckon he would be something of a gamble particularly given previous failures in this country albeit a fair while ago.

Worth pointing out that it is exactly the style of play that I have wanted Saints to play since the Poch days.

Whether it is a success depends on the fact that the players embrace it.

If Sousa is viewed as the best man for the job purely based on Gaos opinion of him from managing in the Chinese league then we're screwed. The last thing we need is a hands-on owner with limited football background deciding our next boss. Hopefully sense prevails and we appoint a DOF imminently and let them have a big say in the next manager. I would be surprised if any manager is appointed before the Spurs game

Surely the new DoF will want a big say in who is appointed manager? Or perhaps there isn't going to be a DoF because we'll need every penny we've got to pay off MH. Oh dear how did we get in this mess, everything was so stable. Only two seasons ago we ended 8th and played |Liverpool four times without conceding a goal

Surely the new DoF will want a big say in who is appointed manager? Or perhaps there isn't going to be a DoF because we'll need every penny we've got to pay off MH. Oh dear how did we get in this mess, everything was so stable. Only two seasons ago we ended 8th and played |Liverpool four times without conceding a goal

And most deemed that to be not good enough and the manager was sacked!!!! Absolute madness at the time, and even more so in hindsight.

That wasn't deemed good enough at the time.

History shows Claude in a much more favourable light.

Huge mistake?

What a load of pony. With that squad, he did a bloody good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can call it pony all you want but he oversaw a 17 point decline in he team’s fortunes after Koeman’s season, alienated some of the players and produced a boring, insipid playing style that turned off many of the supporters. It was a risk and a mistake to appoint him. It helped contribute to the decline in the club’s fortunes, which were on the rise year on year before then notwithstanding major annual changes in the playing staff.

That being said, Pellegrino was a markedly worse manager than Puel so in that context it was a mistake to fire Puel.

You can call it pony all you want but he oversaw a 17 point decline in he team’s fortunes after Koeman’s season, alienated some of the players and produced a boring, insipid playing style that turned off many of the supporters. It was a risk and a mistake to appoint him.

Pony.

He lost Pelle, Mane , Big Vic all season & VvD for half. To finish only 2 places below Koeman & reach a cup final is the best that could ever be expected. I’m pretty sure Koeman would struggle to match that with those players missing. As for the players he “alienated”, cry me a ****ing river. They’ve shown ever since they ****ing deserve to be alienated. There’s one thing for sure the biggest mistake wasn’t appointing him, it was backing the players and chucking him under a bus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pony.

He lost Pelle, Mane , Big Vic all season & VvD for half. To finish only 2 places below Koeman & reach a cup final is the best that could ever be expected. I’m pretty sure Koeman would struggle to match that with those players missing. As for the players he “alienated”, cry me a ****ing river. They’ve shown ever since they ****ing deserve to be alienated. There’s one thing for sure the biggest mistake wasn’t appointing him, it was backing the players and chucking him under a bus.

Man management is an important role for the football manager. If we believe the reports in the press, he is experiencing similar issues at Leicester, which suggests that the issues were not limited to the Saints squad. Perhaps the players at Leicester deserve to be alienated as well.

Pellegrino managed to get his lineup to the semifinals of the League Cup, but this does not necessarily mean he was a good manager.

Also, as you know, saying Puel finished 2 places below Koeman hides from the equation the huge drop in points that occurred on his watch. It was an appointment that smacked of diminished ambition and marked the turning point in the club’s fortunes. The decline in results started on his watch onwards.

Many seem to deify Puel on here. He only looks good because his two successors were/are so poor.

You can call it pony all you want but he oversaw a 17 point decline in he team’s fortunes after Koeman’s season, alienated some of the players and produced a boring, insipid playing style that turned off many of the supporters. It was a risk and a mistake to appoint him. It helped contribute to the decline in the club’s fortunes, which were on the rise year on year before then notwithstanding major annual changes in the playing staff.

That being said, Pellegrino was a markedly worse manager than Puel so in that context it was a mistake to fire Puel.

yes that's what happens when you sell your top two goal scorers and don't replace them properly. It also doesn't take into account that following Leicester's surprise PL title win the big six upped their game significantly resulting in more points for them and less points for everyone else.

The Times also saying Hughes is "likely to be given one more match to turn things around – against Manchester United on Saturday – but another defeat could spell the end of his eight-month spell in charge"

I never get this one game to keep his job stuff. What if he beats man u and then loses to spurs? Surely the club will know if they want to keep him or not regardless of the next games results. If they are making decisions like this based on the arbitrary outcome of one game we are more ****ed than I thought..

Pony.

I wouldn't bother with these people. I and a couple of others have the satisfaction of knowing that we were right at the time, but very few people on here want to admit that they were wrong all along.

Sounds like Saints are now looking for a new manager. MH will get the sack once they have lined someone else up. These things are best done as quietly as possible, but it does look as if the message has finally got across and MH is on borrowed time.

Has done fairly well since Swansea/Leicester. Be most interested how his Fiorentina side played, if anyone knows please share.

[TABLE=class: wikitable]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Videoton[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png[/TD]

[TD=align: left]1 June 2011[/TD]

[TD=align: left]7 January 2013[/TD]

[TD]88[/TD]

[TD]52[/TD]

[TD]17[/TD]

[TD]19[/TD]

[TD]140[/TD]

[TD]63[/TD]

[TD]+77[/TD]

[TD]59.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Maccabi Tel Aviv[39][/TD]

[TD]21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png[/TD]

[TD=align: left]11 June 2013[/TD]

[TD=align: left]28 May 2014[/TD]

[TD]49[/TD]

[TD]31[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]91[/TD]

[TD]45[/TD]

[TD]+46[/TD]

[TD]63.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Basel[/TD]

[TD]16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png[/TD]

[TD=align: left]18 June 2014[/TD]

[TD=align: left]17 June 2015[/TD]

[TD]50[/TD]

[TD]32[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]112[/TD]

[TD]60[/TD]

[TD]+52[/TD]

[TD]64.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Fiorentina[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png[/TD]

[TD=align: left]21 June 2015[/TD]

[TD=align: left]6 June 2017[/TD]

[TD]95[/TD]

[TD]43[/TD]

[TD]25[/TD]

[TD]27[/TD]

[TD]155[/TD]

[TD]121[/TD]

[TD]+34[/TD]

[TD]45.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Tianjin Quanjian[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png[/TD]

[TD=align: left]6 November 2017[/TD]

[TD=align: left]5 October 2018[/TD]

[TD]33[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]50[/TD]

[TD]54[/TD]

[TD]−4[/TD]

[TD]33.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Love to see a similar article based on our current tactics. Think it would be considerably shorter,and the words "rigid" "backwards" "restrained" and "standing still" would appear a lot.

Has done fairly well since Swansea/Leicester. Be most interested how his Fiorentina side played, if anyone knows please share.

[TABLE=class: wikitable]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Videoton[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png[/TD]

[TD=align: left]1 June 2011[/TD]

[TD=align: left]7 January 2013[/TD]

[TD]88[/TD]

[TD]52[/TD]

[TD]17[/TD]

[TD]19[/TD]

[TD]140[/TD]

[TD]63[/TD]

[TD]+77[/TD]

[TD]59.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Maccabi Tel Aviv[39][/TD]

[TD]21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png[/TD]

[TD=align: left]11 June 2013[/TD]

[TD=align: left]28 May 2014[/TD]

[TD]49[/TD]

[TD]31[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]91[/TD]

[TD]45[/TD]

[TD]+46[/TD]

[TD]63.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Basel[/TD]

[TD]16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png[/TD]

[TD=align: left]18 June 2014[/TD]

[TD=align: left]17 June 2015[/TD]

[TD]50[/TD]

[TD]32[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]112[/TD]

[TD]60[/TD]

[TD]+52[/TD]

[TD]64.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Fiorentina[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png[/TD]

[TD=align: left]21 June 2015[/TD]

[TD=align: left]6 June 2017[/TD]

[TD]95[/TD]

[TD]43[/TD]

[TD]25[/TD]

[TD]27[/TD]

[TD]155[/TD]

[TD]121[/TD]

[TD]+34[/TD]

[TD]45.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Tianjin Quanjian[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png[/TD]

[TD=align: left]6 November 2017[/TD]

[TD=align: left]5 October 2018[/TD]

[TD]33[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]50[/TD]

[TD]54[/TD]

[TD]−4[/TD]

[TD]33.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Well, I saw them a few times and my conclusion was that in possession they played a 3421 with high wing-backs, two midfield pivots and two fantasistas looking to pick up space between the lines. Often they would form a box formation with the pivots. They aren't needed to drift wide much because the wing-backs are very high.

The interesting thing is that in defensive formation, the back 3 drifts to the right so that the right centre back becomes a full back and the left wing back drops into the back line. In other words, they defended with a back 4. The left fantasista moves to a traditional left-midfield role. So, defensively, it's a 4411.

Well, I saw them a few times and my conclusion was that in possession they played a 3421 with high wing-backs, two midfield pivots and two fantasistas looking to pick up space between the lines. Often they would form a box formation with the pivots. They aren't needed to drift wide much because the wing-backs are very high.

The interesting thing is that in defensive formation, the back 3 drifts to the right so that the right centre back becomes a full back and the left wing back drops into the back line. In other words, they defended with a back 4. The left fantasista moves to a traditional left-midfield role. So, defensively, it's a 4411.

Interesting. On a much more basic level, he never seems to stay long anywhere.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Uncertain about Sousa, although that Basel and Fiorentina record looks good. Record in England is frankly very poor.

The candidate I would be happiest with of the ones that appear likely is Sánchez Flores, did a solid job at Watford even if he was sacked at the end of the season (harshly imo)

Pony.

Not to mention losing a sulking Fonte as well, along with Austin injuries. And Gabbi only came in during the January window, and later got injured. Plus the extra Euro Thursday matches (RK didn't even get to the group stage).

Trying to explain this to the Puel-out mob is like talking to the pooch:

33655b5d0893b7021f6c884ffbd4bb21.jpg

Not to mention losing a sulking Fonte as well, along with Austin injuries. And Gabbi only came in during the January window, and later got injured. Plus the extra Euro Thursday matches (RK didn't even get to the group stage).

Trying to explain this to the Puel-out mob is like talking to the pooch:

33655b5d0893b7021f6c884ffbd4bb21.jpg

Technically RK did get to the group stages....

We finished 17 points worse off, were just 6 points off 17th and had just watched the worst football we'd seen in about a decade. Things have somehow gotten worse but firing Puel was never a mistake, it was just the next steps from there.

The fans pretty much made his position untenable. The reality also was that Puel was the 1st manager to be dealt with the post-Mane & Pelle Southampton attack.

Subsequent managers have nearly relegated us -- We are still suffering for having not actively replacing them.

Has been denied

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Still think this is who's being lined up he has managed in China & knows gao who thinks highly of him, his CV in England isn't good though!