Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

Agreed. Also don't really see us paying the cash to get him out of his contract.

Think I'd rather see a Technical Director in place before any change is made.

Given the money we'd also have to pay Hughes, you're right - we're only going to either stick, or if we sack it will only be a case of bringing in a freebie or someone from within. That's how I see it.

What is better in that scenario...? This is why the shouts for a change of manager may not actually give people what they want.

On the Rodgers thing though he is on a route to nowhere, winning the Scottish league must get old as it's not particularly challenging, especially with a sub par Rangers still recovering from their relegations. There is nowhere really to go because their best players will get poached by PL clubs, and the best the can hope for is the odd scrape into the Champs League group stages realistically.

Whilst we might not be the best option right now, it's doubtful he's going to get a PL top 4 job any time soon and his best chance of getting another top club is probably to achieve for a couple of years at mid table PL club. So depends on his ambition, he's won two trebles at Celtic and they went like nearly 50 games unbeaten, not much more you can improve on.

He's likely to lose his best young players soon, the likes of Tierney and Ntcham will probably go fairly soon. So depends on his ambition.

I am presuming Davis might be lined up for caretaker role not permanently, it would be a joke if they considered him to take over fully.

On the Rodgers thing though he is on a route to nowhere, winning the Scottish league must get old as it's not particularly challenging, especially with a sub par Rangers still recovering from their relegations. There is nowhere really to go because their best players will get poached by PL clubs, and the best the can hope for is the odd scrape into the Champs League group stages realistically.

Whilst we might not be the best option right now, it's doubtful he's going to get a PL top 4 job any time soon and his best chance of getting another top club is probably to achieve for a couple of years at mid table PL club. So depends on his ambition, he's won two trebles at Celtic and they went like nearly 50 games unbeaten, not much more you can improve on.

He's likely to lose his best young players soon, the likes of Tierney and Ntcham will probably go fairly soon. So depends on his ambition.

I am presuming Davis might be lined up for caretaker role not permanently, it would be a joke if they considered him to take over fully.

But even a short-term move could be hugely damaging to the positive repuation he's built up. He'd be better off staying up there and then jumping on the merry-go-round in the summer. He'd have better options than us then.

I don't see Rogers being hugely unrealistic. If we can take their best players then we can certainly take their manager. His stock won't go any higher than it is now and probably bored stiff of playing in front of League 1 capacitys on some occasions. At this point, I'm not sure what he's hoping/thinking he can get in terms of a Premiership side.

The top 8 are completely locked down with their managers all doing well. So what's left? Leicester if/when Puel goes? West Ham in a season or two? Whilst our position is terrible right now, I'd have full confidence he could get us back to where we need to be. The only issue is money, can we afford to bin off Hughes, pay off Rogers contract and pay him well? If we can't, then does that mean we can only look at mangers not in work currently?

Given the money we'd also have to pay Hughes, you're right - we're only going to either stick, or if we sack it will only be a case of bringing in a freebie or someone from within. That's how I see it.

What is better in that scenario...? This is why the shouts for a change of manager may not actually give people what they want.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a new boss in on a contract until the end of the season again. Seems to be the norm.

I def agree with Adam Leitch on TSP saying that all these sackings will be adversely hitting our finances.

With 5 of the next 9 Prem games against top 6 sides we are almost certain to be in the bottom 3 in January. We need a new manager now so that they can take the lead in what players need to be cleared out (or sent home) and to make the right choices of players to bring in.

Big Sam please. The man has a fantastic record of turning teams in trouble around and I think we'd all agree we are a team in trouble. He will galvanise the squad and get the best out of the players we have. IF he keeps us up then who knows where we go in the Summer...

1 league win at home all calendar year? Nah, we're good ;)

The talksport article this one gets the rumour from is based off quotes from Alex Crook who says it wouldn't surprise him if Kelvin Davis and Radhi Jaidi were appointed as caretakers should they sack Hughes"

Has Alex Crook ever been right about Saints?

Still waiting for him to exclusively reveal we're leaving the Dell for St. Mary's...

Has Alex Crook ever been right about Saints?

Still waiting for him to exclusively reveal we're leaving the Dell for St. Mary's...

I think my favourite story of his was when he revealed we weren't interested in Charlie Austin, less than 24 hours later he signed. He blocked me on twitter after that so cant get any of his exclusives anymore. The guy is a joke, "South Coast football expert" LOL.

He'd be absolutely crazy to move. He's got a decent side at Celtic, more silverware on the way this year, good reputation.

Potentially he'd end up in the Championship. We'd be career suicide for anyone right now, and anyone decent will know it.

Not sure he would. It might actually be the time to get out. Celtic have been dominant over the last few years largely because Rangers managed to shoot themselves in their foot with their finances. With Stevie Gerrard galvanising them, Hibs and Hearts looking stronger this season, Aberdeen in contention, and even Livingston & St Johnstone having strong starts to the season, the title race is as open as it's ever been. Given that, it might be that they'll struggle to sweep all 3 domestic trophies, and Rangers look better placed in the Europa League at the moment.

Anything less than 3 trophies will be seen as a failure, he may just want to get out whilst his stock is as high as it is. Whether he'd come us is another matter entirely.

I'm not sure. Maybe there's a Johann Cruyff inside him and he will get a chance to show it one day but my view of Burnley is that they are a functional, pretty average Championship team who are likely to get relegated this season and whose finishing position last season is one of those counter-expectational results that happens in sport sometimes. They scored fewer goals in the league than we did last season.

I'm not knocking his job. He's done a brilliant job there, I just haven't seen anything to suggest I would want him here. If we want to do a "get solid and stay up at all costs" job, then Fat Sam has the far better credentials IMO.

I dont have an issue with any ones view on football, so im not quoting to knock yours

but personally id love Dyche here and have thought that for a long time. as you say, hes done a brilliant job at Burnley, id argue with one of the worst squads to have been in the prem too.

As ive pointed out on here before, he was also excellent at Watford. its worth noting, doing better then both malky mackay and, yes, even brendan rodgers, with a much worse team too (the best players following those 2 out the door with them)

i also know from inside information at the time, all this was done with an absolute lunatic in charge too. it was only the take over that caused him to lose his job

i believe he would be an excellent appointment for us, and lets be honest, very unlikely to be pursued by other clubs if he does succeed here. which i think he would

Definitely don’t want Sam. Watching the idiot Krueger handing out a three year contract to the terrible Hughes for being marg8nally better than Swansea was bad enough. Happily see Jaidi given a couple of games to show what he can do whilst we go through recruitment process just to get Hughes out of saints.

I'd only want Sam until the end of the season and then bring someone else in to rebuild the squad and reignite the youth system over the summer.

Giving Hughes the 3 year contract for making us slightly less rubbish than Swansea was our worst mistake in recent memory.

Edited by Son of Bob

I'd only want Sam until the end of the season and then bring someone else in to rebuild the squad and reignite the youth system over the summer.

Giving Hughes the 3 year contract for making us slightly less rubbish than Swansea was our worst mistake in recent memory.

If you say that to Allardyce, he wouldn't take it, so you have to give him a 3 year contract, and then it costs you another £10m to get rid of him and his coaches in the summer.

Our owner isn't going to put any more money in, so that scenario would appear to be another sure fire way of having no funds to replace the terrible players we have.

I liked this bit -

“If you get yourself in a winning position, which we were in the first half, very comfortable in the first half, and all of a sudden they get two quickfire goals and we go in at half-time 2-1 down. I don’t think anybody who was here saw that coming,” said Hughes on Saturday. The problem is that pretty much everybody saw that coming, including your own right-back: “We were winning 1-0 and I had a feeling that we [would] get the 1-1 because we were very exposed, and then maybe after 1-1 our head was gone immediately.”

If the numbers do not convince you, allow Cedric Soares. He knows.

Paolo Sousa according to The Times.

Hand picked by Gao.

Hughes was quite clued in during the Gao takeover. Good that the owner can't wait until we have a Technical Director in.

@MattHughesTimes: #Southampton have held talks with Paolo Sousa about replacing Mark Hughes. Portuguese coach attended last weekend's 3-2 defeat at Fulham and has been identified by owner Gao Jisheng as preferred candidate.

Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/paolo-sousa-in-line-to-replace-mark-hughes-as-southampton-manager-q5bbd0h86

Hughes was quite clued in during the Gao takeover. Good that the owner can't wait until we have a Technical Director in.

Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/paolo-sousa-in-line-to-replace-mark-hughes-as-southampton-manager-q5bbd0h86

https://www.google.fr/amp/s/runningtheshowblog.wordpress.com/2015/11/12/analysing-paulo-sousas-innovative-fiorentina-tactics/amp/

Now these are tactics that I like.

Trouble is, we’ve gone from being a fashionable little oasis of a club 4 years ago, attracting the Poch’s and Koemans, to fishing in the the swamp where only the Allardyces/Pulis/Bruces/Hughes lurk. Not good.

For £3-6m per year, plus a 3 year contract, I reckon we can attract some better names than that. Plenty of managers won't care about poisoned chalice, it is a chance to earn more money than they can earn elsewhere.

We won't attract the best, but we will attract better than Hughes.