Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

do you get rich in business by not being? unless he inherited it I may have missed that .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Some people get rich in business by being ruthless and unpleasant. Some people get rich in business through corruption and bending the rules. Some people inherit it. Some people do it through being clever.

I have no idea whether Gao is clever or not. Haven't seen any evidence from his ownership of us!

Whilst Hughes isn't doing a good job professionally, attacking him personally is out of order. Some of the abuse he has got on this thread is disgusting but even worse was the chanting and vitriol directed his way yesterday. Quite ashamed to be a Saints fan after some of the stuff heard at Dean Court.

Interesting - fans forum indicated how totally sick the fanbase is of Bunsen and Beaker and how badly we want them gone along with Gao and Wilson but I hadn’t cognised how far this had transferred to Hughes as well. What kind of stuff did you hear directed at Hughes on Saturday if you don’t mind me asking? Results have continued to be poor but on Saturday we weren’t that bad and at least a clean sheet.

Good point at Bournemouth after Hughes had some time to work with the defence. Beat Newcastle and we will be mid-table and still in the cup. And the football is better to watch than the last two seasons as well. I am not convinced a replacement for Hughes is needed. And I am pretty sure that if we are mid-table it won't happen.

You need better binoculars, it's a long way from Brisbane to St Mary's

Some folk need to grow a pair and calm down. Hughes did great job in keeping us up against the odds when it looked too late. We should as an absolute minimum wait until we have played everyone once to get some proper perspective. A team finishing 17th that then the next season finishes say 12th is decent progress. We are yet to play any of the relegation candidates. If we don’t win either of our next two home games then that will be concerning but I think we will. The key is to target 20 points at the halfway mark, so 14 more from the next 10 games. Then push on from there. Yesterday is a decent point, can remember us being badly beaten down there under Koeman to a much weaker Bournemouth team.

Nice rosy pink glow in La La land

Can I add Austin to my list?

Isnt one of the main problems that he persists with these no-hopers and keeps better players (i.e. Gabbiadini) on the bench? Personally have thought Gabbi and Ings have looked like they could be pretty good together as both pretty intelligent players, whilst Austin has completely lost it and less said about Shlong the better...

Some folk need to grow a pair and calm down. Hughes did great job in keeping us up against the odds when it looked too late. We should as an absolute minimum wait until we have played everyone once to get some proper perspective. A team finishing 17th that then the next season finishes say 12th is decent progress. We are yet to play any of the relegation candidates. If we don’t win either of our next two home games then that will be concerning but I think we will. The key is to target 20 points at the halfway mark, so 14 more from the next 10 games. Then push on from there. Yesterday is a decent point, can remember us being badly beaten down there under Koeman to a much weaker Bournemouth team.

Really? :uhoh: I think it was more a case of Swansea sinking like a stone and not adding any points in the final games, rather than results achieved by Hughes. Saturday, he confirmed stopping the rot was the objective and they met their target for the day. We now need a statement WIN next Saturday or else we look in trouble.

Really? :uhoh: I think it was more a case of Swansea sinking like a stone and not adding any points in the final games, rather than results achieved by Hughes

Really? His first game away at West Ham was his only poor result. Are we supposed to be turning over teams like Leicester and Everton on their own patch then. Or I suppose losing to Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal is below what is expected of Saints?

Some of our fans really are ****ing idiots.

Really? His first game away at West Ham was his only poor result. Are we supposed to be turning over teams like Leicester and Everton on their own patch then. Or I suppose losing to Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal is below what is expected of Saints?

Some of our fans really are ****ing idiots.

Try reading what people write rather than being abusive. Results were meh before he joined and were meh after he joined. No-one expected him to win every game, but we were hoping for an improvement. We managed to stay up simply because Swansea became woeful and were worse than meh.

Try reading what people write rather than being abusive. Results were meh before he joined and were meh after he joined. No-one expected him to win every game, but we were hoping for an improvement. We managed to stay up simply because Swansea became woeful and were worse than meh.

So what results would Hughes have to have got to be more than Meh?

I’m pretty impressed with Derby and Arsenal this season and it’s no coincidence they have new managers.

I know we are not going to get rid of Reed and the other muppets but at least shift Hughes on.

Cant remember the last time I watched a game and proudly walked out being impressed with my team.

The football Arsenal played the other night was breathtaking and it’s all because they got rid of that dinosaur Wenger.

More than 2 wins. We stayed up relying on other sides being pathetic, not because we recovered and got to a half respectable points total. We still put in some utterly gutless performances, stuffed at west ham and newcastle, couldn't organise a defence, changed the team round endlessly.

Move on to this season and nothing has changed. Players confused, endless changes to systems and selections with no logic, too many off form and losing confidence, and just 1 win which we wouldn't have got had Palace had their best player available. When your only win in 9 games is against a poor side missing their best player, and you've actually had a decent fixture list, I wouldn't be praising the manager.

Once we had a consistent side with players knowing their roles and starting to vaguely fulfil their potential and previous form, THEN you can discuss transfer strategy and what's needed to move forward. Before that it's just ****ing money away. We spent big money on Pellegrino's players. I don't want us to back blatantly poor managers again and just have an even bigger squad underperforming.

The top 5 plus United are obviously very tough games. You'd hope to give a few of them tough games at home, but you'll probably lose That's 26 winnable football matches left. For saints, everton, west ham, leicester, the difference between 8th and relegation is just going to be management. Same as it was for west brom and stoke.

There's still time to save this season and enjoy it under a proper manager. I'd love to think they learned from Pellegrino, but the most depressing thing in the last few years has been our board deciding to join the merry go round of underachieving whinging journeymen british managers. We're no better than west brom or stoke now and no one is going to be sad to see us relegated.

Errrrr ‘Newcastle’ Not sure you can pin that terrible display on Hughes .....

That was rank terrible tactics by MP who was utterly clueless watching Shelvey destroy us for the whole game.

Edited by captainchris

More than 2 wins. We stayed up relying on other sides being pathetic, not because we recovered and got to a half respectable points total. We still put in some utterly gutless performances, stuffed at west ham and newcastle, couldn't organise a defence, changed the team round endlessly.

Move on to this season and nothing has changed. Players confused, endless changes to systems and selections with no logic, too many off form and losing confidence, and just 1 win which we wouldn't have got had Palace had their best player available. When your only win in 9 games is against a poor side missing their best player, and you've actually had a decent fixture list, I wouldn't be praising the manager.

Once we had a consistent side with players knowing their roles and starting to vaguely fulfil their potential and previous form, THEN you can discuss transfer strategy and what's needed to move forward. Before that it's just ****ing money away. We spent big money on Pellegrino's players. I don't want us to back blatantly poor managers again and just have an even bigger squad underperforming.

The top 5 plus United are obviously very tough games. You'd hope to give a few of them tough games at home, but you'll probably lose That's 26 winnable football matches left. For saints, everton, west ham, leicester, the difference between 8th and relegation is just going to be management. Same as it was for west brom and stoke.

There's still time to save this season and enjoy it under a proper manager. I'd love to think they learned from Pellegrino, but the most depressing thing in the last few years has been our board deciding to join the merry go round of underachieving whinging journeymen british managers. We're no better than west brom or stoke now and no one is going to be sad to see us relegated.

You can’t even get you facts right, Hughes wasn’t even manager for the Newcastle defeat.

Last season he faced a nightmare run in with a team that was a mess. He had one poor result and that was his first game in charge. After that he got draws away at Leicester and Everton, beat Bournemouth and Swansea and only lost to Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City. I’m not sure exactly what more you can expect from a Saint manager - should we be expected to beat Chelsea or turn Everton over on their own patch?

Criticism this season is fair enough but to say he didn’t do well last year is complete ******.

According to rumours, Lopetgui, Jakanovic and Benitez may be available shortly. Any of those tickle anyone's fancy?

I'd like Jakanovic. He looks a disciplinarian who would get control of the dressing room.

Strange how things go, before the start of the season Jokanovic was a popular choice based on Fulham last season and how they played, but the question over him now is probably wether he can organise a defence at this level.

Reed can’t get rid of Hughes. He painted himself into a corner at that fans forum.

Thought he did the same thing by his public statements over Toby and Koeman, but they backfired on him, although he wasn't the decision maker there.

I’m pretty impressed with Derby and Arsenal this season and it’s no coincidence they have new managers.

I know we are not going to get rid of Reed and the other muppets but at least shift Hughes on.

Cant remember the last time I watched a game and proudly walked out being impressed with my team.

The football Arsenal played the other night was breathtaking and it’s all because they got rid of that dinosaur Wenger.

Good point, Arsenal are a pretty good example of what a new manager can do + couple of the right signings (like a proper DM/ball winner) but most of that team is the same as the one Wenger was struggling to beat some bad teams with.

yep a team with Ramsay and Lacazzette on the bench must be hard to around results wise.

Normally in the past you seem to be level headed, but Hughes must have done something to you that you and are very anti.

He is not my first choice but when will we learn that a procession of managers will not work.

Puel should still be our manager and it is down to short sighted knee jerk reaction that we got rid of him too soon. All IMHO of course.

You can only make a decent side with the quality you have at your disposal and I feel he has a poor selection to choose from

You can’t even get you facts right, Hughes wasn’t even manager for the Newcastle defeat.

Last season he faced a nightmare run in with a team that was a mess. He had one poor result and that was his first game in charge. After that he got draws away at Leicester and Everton, beat Bournemouth and Swansea and only lost to Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City. I’m not sure exactly what more you can expect from a Saint manager - should we be expected to beat Chelsea or turn Everton over on their own patch?

Criticism this season is fair enough but to say he didn’t do well last year is complete ******.

Adrian has always had problems with reality. He thinks a new manager will magically solve all our problems and we'll get to the Champions League just like that. Best to ignore his views, it's just the usual nonsense.

yep a team with Ramsay and Lacazzette on the bench must be hard to around results wise.

Normally in the past you seem to be level headed, but Hughes must have done something to you that you and are very anti.

He is not my first choice but when will we learn that a procession of managers will not work.

Puel should still be our manager and it is down to short sighted knee jerk reaction that we got rid of him too soon. All IMHO of course.

You can only make a decent side with the quality you have at your disposal and I feel he has a poor selection to choose from

Hughes must of done something to me?

Yes he has as my team don’t win matches anymore and I’ve become a right grumpy bastard.

Hughes must of done something to me?

Yes he has as my team don’t win matches anymore and I’ve become a right grumpy bastard.

he is no different to many managers we have suffered in our decades of watching Saints.

I personally would point to Reed and Wilson myself

Despite him failing to get a defense organised.

Watching match of the day highlights against Cardiff and ****ing hell Fulham's defence made saints defence look like a well drilled Italian defence.

Hoedt and Stephens looked like world beaters compared to Fulham's calamity defence in that game.

Julen Lopetegui. From expectations to win the World Cup he now needs to rebuild his career.

Don’t know too much about him other than more exciting than Hughes. We won’t interest him of course

Clearly a career that is nosediving fast so as he's out of work looks like a perfect Reed appointment.

Long term to us now means November - end of season.

Yup. If I was the board I'd say to a new guy that he has this season and the next season, even if we get relegated. We need to start thinking of things in the long term instead of papering over the cracks. Someone young, someone unknown, a coach who'll blood in the young players and ship out some of the waste of space players that sadly are on our payroll.

Ranieri would be a massive upgrade, but is he the long term option?

Not even a short term one, he (like Hughes) is a dinosaur. Yes, he had that one incredible season at Leicester, but that was riding the momentum (and squad) inherited from the man who was harshly sacked, and who himself would be perfect for us.

Yup. If I was the board I'd say to a new guy that he has this season and the next season, even if we get relegated. We need to start thinking of things in the long term instead of papering over the cracks. Someone young, someone unknown, a coach who'll blood in the young players and ship out some of the waste of space players that sadly are on our payroll.

Good idea but will an up and coming manager want to take the risk of joining us in our current state and have a possible relegation on his CV so soon? Potter now at Swansea might have done, who else is out there, not too sure but as Reed and Wilson thought MP II matched this profile it does not inspire confidence.

Would like to think we might have put feelers out to Jardim and Hasenhuttl but doubt it. In any case they'll no doubt be looking for something better.

The owner, obviously, but since he doesn’t seem to have much of a profile or background in football he could bring in a consultant to help him out.

Unfortunately the decision-making is rotten from the very top down.

Agreed.

Doesn't give you confidence of getting it right does it?

Someone else made a comparison with Blackburn's owners, The Venkys, SISU also spring to mind. Unfortunately the Marcus Liebherrs, Vichai at Leicester type of owners are few and far between.

Edited by Badger

Who in their right mind would want to come to St Marys with Les Reed and ice hockey Ralph running the club.

True. They would look at the poor quality of the purchases and the Academy players and look elsewhere for something better. All we would attract are failures desperate for another chance in the Prem.