Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

Our recruitment policy gave us Elynoussie, Vestergaard, Armstrong. Good, I thought, and we made the signings early. Perfect, I thought. We are in for a good season. But where are these signings? The fact that they are on the bench suggests a terrible disharmony between manager and executive. That's the root there is no togetherness on the pitch because there is none 'higher up'

It is getting close to dire straits now. Most good managers will understandably steer clear of us.

A punt on one of the lower league English managers who's always wanted a shot at the big time, like Paul Cook, Nigel Clough or Chris Wilder might be an option. I'm not saying any one of them is one of the best managers in the world but they would be better than Hughes.

Or, there are still plenty of good managers around the world who would find Premier League wages immensely attractive, like Rubi, Dieter Hecking and Christophe Galtiernot, but you'd expect Ross and Les not to find one of them. Someone like Pardew would be more likely with them, and he would merely continue what Hughes is doing.

Until Les Reed and Ross Wilson are replaced by someone useful like Paul Mitchell, our club's decline is not going to be reversed and more useless managers, coaches and players will be brought in.

Pointless replacing Hughes. Problem has been with the model and that’s driven by the Boardroom.

I’m surprised Gao hasn’t invested money in players (his record is to invest in his sports clubs), which may mean that not only is Reed and co’s model continuing to fail but after staying up last season I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve bluffed him that they know what they are doing.

Sack them. Keep Hughes. Invest heavily in January, after all Hughes was the first stage in Man City’s rebirth. We are owned by one of the wealthiest businessmen in China. Time for him to cull the bull****ters from the Boardroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pointless replacing Hughes. Problem has been with the model and that’s driven by the Boardroom.

I’m surprised Gao hasn’t invested money in players (his record is to invest in his sports clubs), which may mean that not only is Reed and co’s model continuing to fail but after staying up last season I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve bluffed him that they know what they are doing.

Sack them. Keep Hughes. Invest heavily in January, after all Hughes was the first stage in Man City’s rebirth. We are owned by one of the wealthiest businessmen in China. Time for him to cull the bull****ters from the Boardroom.

You really don't know anything, do you? Gao is NOT one of the wealthiest men in China. His business is in trouble and he is in debt. The Wolves owner is one of the wealthiest men in China but Gao is nowhere near.

As for Hughes starting Man City's rebirth, he was sacked by them in 2009 :mcinnes:

https://www.forbes.com/china-billionaires/list/

Are you Les Reed in disguise?

Derby playing some lively stuff atm. At least we might actually take games to our opponents if nothing else.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Not a chance he would leave Derby, who will replace us in the Prem

I’m sure it’s been said before but Gao has little interest in the club. He bought it so he could have access to the land around St Mary’s and develop that. He’ll make a fortune from it and the club can just bumble along. Despite how we feel, the club is very well run (obviously the shambles on the pitch aside) it’s a very good business.

We are owned by one of the wealthiest businessmen in China. Time for him to cull the bull****ters from the Boardroom.

He had to borrow the £200m to buy 80% of the Club. Not really wealthy. Just able to get a large mortgage secured on an asset worth several hundred millions .... providing it is in the Premiership.

I’m sure it’s been said before but Gao has little interest in the club. He bought it so he could have access to the land around St Mary’s and develop that. He’ll make a fortune from it and the club can just bumble along. Despite how we feel, the club is very well run (obviously the shambles on the pitch aside) it’s a very good business.

Get what you're saying, but the football side surely has to be priority? Can have all the hospitality packages and merchandise sales you like; if we get relegated they'll take a massive hit no matter how well they're doing on that side of the club.

Think a lot of our problem has been trying to focus on the future (buying players for resale value, looking at soccer schools or whatever in China etc) rather than the present and what the team needs now. The best example of that is Ings. Surely he was bought for what he could do now, and not what we could make in 2/3 years time?

He'd be a cracking appointment. Not sure he still has the desire for it though after Everton.

But then what happens after that? He stays, it goes sour like it has with Hughes and we appoint another firefighter?

Take a look at Swansea and Sunderland, that's how it ends up if you get into that cycle.

But then what happens after that? He stays, it goes sour like it has with Hughes and we appoint another firefighter?

Take a look at Swansea and Sunderland, that's how it ends up if you get into that cycle.

It hasn't really got that sour for Big Sam to be honest - teams that have had him think they can do better and sack him (and actually they rarely do).

I now expect Hughes to be sacked by Reed to save Reed's job. Gao will require someone to take the blame for this awful start and Hughes is going to be the fall guy.

If instead Gao fires Reed, then we can have the hope that things will eventually get better.

How depressing is it that we're suggesting BFS as our next manager? Were the Adkins, MoPe and Koeman years just a dream?

Thing is though, BFS would improve us, and probably would keep us up.... and we'd see some commitment and fight from our lacklustre players.

Why? What's the point? For fans, not accounts. Appointments for survival just keep you in the same position next season. We need to get back to what made us different. and good. That's identity and appointments for a few seasons not months.

Someone younger with positivity and energy who can get the most out of this squad. Talk about signings once we have someone who shows they won't waste players. Otherwise what's the point? You'll just get more expensive people coming in and struggling. Elyounoussi looked a good signing. In previous times under Poch or Koeman I'm sure he'd have thrived and grown as a player. With the current set up, he'll just go backwards. It'll be the same with any new signings.

New manager. Improved coaching and tactics. Then a winger in January who can thrive, not fail.

You're right. Elyounoussi could have been our new Gaston or Elia.

Just kiddiiiiiiing.

I now expect Hughes to be sacked by Reed to save Reed's job. Gao will require someone to take the blame for this awful start and Hughes is going to be the fall guy.

If instead Gao fires Reed, then we can have the hope that things will eventually get better.

Not this season though - we'll go down unless we sack Hughes. Both has to happen - but short term Hughes needs to go to save our Premier League status.

Jardim , mentioned in tonights Express/Mirror articles, ahs also been linked with Real Madrid.

https://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2018/11/03/5bdc8dbd22601d864b8b4594.html

So, Real Madrid or Saints, that'll be a difficult one for him and cause a few sleepless nights I'm sure.

Would be funny if Poch went there though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not this season though - we'll go down unless we sack Hughes. Both has to happen - but short term Hughes needs to go to save our Premier League status.

We need a new car NOT necessarily a new driver.

IMHO we will just stay up again this season with or without Hughes but it won't be pretty and we won't win many.

What land has he bought around St Mary's and what plans has he put down? And which land could he not just have bought from Southampton City Council/the land owners in isolation, without buying a football club he has little interest in?

The usual names being mentioned in the media, Moyes and Fat Sam. Dear God, would the numpties seriously look at those two failures too replace the existing one.

Fat Sam's failures include keeping West Ham and Everton up, tunring around an inexorable slide. Not sure we can be choosy, tbh

Whilst the thought of Fat Sam was anathema during the Adkins, Poch and Koeman periods he's probably our best bet of getting up the table over the next couple of years.

Even if we were to find "another Poch" we just don't have the players to deliver his sort of vision any more. We've now got a bottom half squad so we need a manager who can get the most out of them.

If we manage to improve the squad over the next couple of years then we can look at playing decent football again.

So, if we do go down that route and he keeps us up, let's not sack him in the summer and replace him with a fancy foreigner. Give him a chance to bring in some decent players. Then sack him.

Whilst the thought of Fat Sam was anathema during the Adkins, Poch and Koeman periods he's probably our best bet of getting up the table over the next couple of years.

Even if we were to find "another Poch" we just don't have the players to deliver his sort of vision any more. We've now got a bottom half squad so we need a manager who can get the most out of them.

If we manage to improve the squad over the next couple of years then we can look at playing decent football again.

So, if we do go down that route and he keeps us up, let's not sack him in the summer and replace him with a fancy foreigner. Give him a chance to bring in some decent players. Then sack him.

Pretty much agree things have changed just need to get in someone to make us hard to beat that grind out results.

Fat Sam's failures include keeping West Ham and Everton up, tunring around an inexorable slide. Not sure we can be choosy, tbh

Fat Sam stabalised Everton last season. Finished 8th when alot on here were saying Everton would be relegated.

Stopped the decline then moved aside for Silva who now has Everton playin some sexy football

You are probably right yet the thought of BFSam as Manager is as dispiriting a prospect as watching the past 2 seasons and 11 games. It looks to me as though Sparky and his offsiders have joined several other British Managers like Pardew, Moyes, Warnock, Allardyce, Pulis and even Hodgson as journeymen Managers who the game is passing by.

We need a new car NOT necessarily a new driver.

IMHO we will just stay up again this season with or without Hughes but it won't be pretty and we won't win many.

I disagree. Mid-season, out of transfer window, we need a new Manager or we will go down. You only have to look at the fixtures we've played to realise what dire straits we are in.

There is change needed at the top, but that is more mid term. Short term, we need a new Manager or we will go down.

It shows how far we've fallen that the though of Big Sam is becoming appealing to me.

The board are just happy to finish 17th now, we have downgraded in every way possible since Koeman when we wanted to be that best of the rest side who knock on the door for European football. It's a massive shame imo.

Well the thought of Allardyce is massively depressing, we have to accept what we are and what we are likely to be, which is relegation fodder for the next 2-3 years unless we see a serious change of direction from the board/owner.

Which in those circumstances and looking at his record, he is probably the best option to get a relegation threatened team into a mid table team.

At least he would make us hard to beat and the team would have a clear identity and would know their jobs.

It's sad state of affairs.

If Sam was that good why do clubs get shot of him, yes, he might have that certain ability to keep clubs up but they soon get tired of his dire style of football. I would rather us go down, re-structure with a young up and coming manager rather than going down the route of changing one dinosaur for yet another dinasaur resulting in the same outcome.