Replacement for Hughes

Bad Wolf

Gao to pick manager

Southampton owner Gao Jisheng will take personal charge of appointing the club’s next manager if they sack Mark Hughes.

The Chinese businessman has not been impressed with the two managers he has worked with since buying the club last year, Hughes and Mauricio Pellegrino, which led to the decision to dismiss Les Reed, the vice-chairman, and Martin Hunter, the technical director, this week. Gao’s daughter, Nelly, is on the Southampton board and the pair will work closely together to plan their next managerial move rather than relying on the club’s staff.

Thanks for posting.

Gao to pick manager

Southampton owner Gao Jisheng will take personal charge of appointing the club’s next manager if they sack Mark Hughes.

The Chinese businessman has not been impressed with the two managers he has worked with since buying the club last year, Hughes and Mauricio Pellegrino, which led to the decision to dismiss Les Reed, the vice-chairman, and Martin Hunter, the technical director, this week. Gao’s daughter, Nelly, is on the Southampton board and the pair will work closely together to plan their next managerial move rather than relying on the club’s staff.

If Saints do end up sacking Hughes (a big if) and this is true perhaps he’ll use his contacts in the Chinese league? There’s a few decent managers out there like Roger Schmidt. Villas-Boas is still unemployed as well after declining to extend his contract in China and trying his hand at the Dakar Rally instead.

Gao to pick manager

Get ready for a bat-**** crazy appointment if this is true.

Gao to pick manager

This has got Blackburn Rovers written all over it ffs.

Apparently the best 50 managers in the world right now. Just need Ralph and the board to go and get one of them

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-50-best-football-managers-world-2018

Unemployed ones - Jardim (12), Cocu (19) stand out there. I mean probably they are destined for higher clubs but the Premier League money might tempt them.

A few others in that list that could be tempted.

Managerial Career - Leonardo Jardim

Team GP W D L WIN% DATES

Monaco 232 125 52 55 53.9 10 Jun 2014 - 11 Oct 2018

Sporting CP 37 25 8 4 67.6 20 May 2013 - 10 Jun 2014

Olympiakos Piraeus 22 16 3 3 72.7 05 Jun 2012 - 19 Jan 2013

Braga 46 27 10 9 58.7 01 May 2011 - 01 Jun 2012

Chaves 38 22 9 7 57.9 01 Jul 2008 - 30 Jun 2009

Camacha 138 61 34 43 44.2 01 Jul 2003 - 30 Jun 2008

TOTAL 513 276 116 121 53.8

Jardim (along with Wenger and Villas-Boas) turned down Fulham before they appointed Ranieri according to the Telegraph. Not sure what this says about Jardim’s potential availability for Southampton (I tend to think he may have more attractive opportunities). The article mentions that Jardim is “being considered by a number [of] Premier League clubs...”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/14/arsene-wenger-leonardo-jardim-andre-villas-boas-turned-fulham/

Jardim (along with Wenger and Villas-Boas) turned down Fulham before they appointed Ranieri according to the Telegraph. Not sure what this says about Jardim’s potential availability for Southampton (I tend to think he may have more attractive opportunities). The article mentions that Jardim is “being considered by a number [of] Premier League clubs...”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/14/arsene-wenger-leonardo-jardim-andre-villas-boas-turned-fulham/

I think we have to realise Southampton isn't a particularly attractive proposition for managers right now. The better managers whose names get banded around on here will get offers from better clubs than this current cluster **** of a club.

I think we are in full old, out of work, Dinosaur manager or young, up coming big risk manager mode right now as a replacement for Hughes. Who ever it turns out to be it probably won't be a very sexy appointment.

I think we have to realise Southampton isn't a particularly attractive proposition for managers right now. The better managers whose names get banded around on here will get offers from better clubs than this current cluster **** of a club.

I think we are in full old, out of work, Dinosaur manager or young, up coming big risk manager mode right now as a replacement for Hughes. Who ever it turns out to be it probably won't be a very sexy appointment.

Yes and No, PL jobs fur European managers don't come up that often, especially as many clubs go the fireman route over and over.

I mean Silva went from winning leagues with Olympiakos, cups with Sporting to a pretty much already relegated Hull.

Pellegrini went to a West Ham team that was marginally better than us last year, and he's won league titles and works wonders with Malaga.

Wenger is turning down PL clubs because he doesn't want to manager another English club because of Arsenal.

I still think Jardim is probably unlikely, but maybe not that unrealistic, he's unemployed and the mess of Monaco this season has probably tarnished his chance at a really big club.

How about Ralph Hasenhüttl - the ex-manager of RB Leipzig - he left them in May by mutual consent and he is currently out of a job - partly because he wanted a long term contract. Ralf Rangnick stepped down from Technical Director to manager and Paul Mitchell stepped up as Technical Director - but Julian Nagelsmann will be the manager from next season.

Or Roger Scmidt - manager at Beijing Guoan - there was talk of Jardim replacing him there - ex manager of Bayer Leverkusen and Red Bull Salzburg.

Both play the pressing football we all loved so much at at 51 our the right age.

I'd quite like someone off the radar who has maybe not even been considered but who knows the game, had a great playing career at some top clubs and I thought he was a quality player (despite getting booked nearly every game lol), what chance of us going Dutch again? Would we be able to attract him is the big question but we did get Koeman after all. I reckon he would have us playing great football too, as someone who tends to be a bit "glass half empty rather than full", I would sooner see us go down playing great football than go down playing the rubbish we have the last couple of years!

MARK VAN BOMMEL!!!!!!!!!

How about Ralph Hasenhüttl - the ex-manager of RB Leipzig - he left them in May by mutual consent and he is currently out of a job - partly because he wanted a long term contract. Ralf Rangnick stepped down from Technical Director to manager and Paul Mitchell stepped up as Technical Director - but Julian Nagelsmann will be the manager from next season.

Or Roger Scmidt - manager at Beijing Guoan - there was talk of Jardim replacing him there - ex manager of Bayer Leverkusen and Red Bull Salzburg.

Both play the pressing football we all loved so much at at 51 our the right age.

Either would seem a decent risk/choice to take, although would face the problem of having their hands tied with the current squad and little prospect of major changes in the next transfer window.

I'd quite like someone off the radar who has maybe not even been considered but who knows the game, had a great playing career at some top clubs and I thought he was a quality player (despite getting booked nearly every game lol), what chance of us going Dutch again? Would we be able to attract him is the big question but we did get Koeman after all. I reckon he would have us playing great football too, as someone who tends to be a bit "glass half empty rather than full", I would sooner see us go down playing great football than go down playing the rubbish we have the last couple of years!

MARK VAN BOMMEL!!!!!!!!!

You do realise he's only been at PSV since June ? Hardly likely to walk out that early in his career.

I think the big elephant in the room re attracting a good manager is whether the new owners are willing to invest in the club or not. I think that's a major stumbling block in attracting a manager with the reputation of Jardim etc.

It seems our indecision isn't solely down to Les as many have suggested beforehand.

Given Les' track record we should have had a replacement lined up already and said replacement should have already been brought in with their choice of manager.

Another systemic failure... This stuff isn't hard.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

It seems our indecision isn't solely down to Les as many have suggested beforehand.

Given Les' track record we should have had a replacement lined up already and said replacement should have already been brought in with their choice of manager.

Another systemic failure... This stuff isn't hard.

Oh, absolutely.

There were issues with Lezza but who is qualified to make any sort of football judgment now? Ralph? Kat? Nelly? Wee Willy Ross? Goa?

As someone else alluded to, what we should have done was restructured and added to our footballing knowledge before bumping Les off.

The thing that scares me the most is Hughes being given free reign in the January transfer window. We'll see a new level of dross added to the team.

History shows that Hughes' transfer policy is to buy players that were good three years ago, but not so good now. Just ask QPR fans....

This could be complete BS, however i will pass on what ive been told as it seems to make sense of a few things.....

Supposedly from within the family/friends of Ings - At liverpool they trained basically 9-5 every day of the week. At Saints Hughes has the squad training 10-2 and gives them a day off here and there if he feels theyve done well. Hughes is liked and respected by the players as a person, but NOT as a manager.

As i said could all be BS but does explain why they all look so unfit and tired all game. A pro footballer should be able to play for more than 20 minutes without looking like hes just finished the london marathon