5 wins in last 38 league matches

benjii

Still amazes me how we stayed up last year. Long season ahead, there is still some hope if Hughes is able to spot the obvious problems and make changes.

Yeah, it's hard to see Cardiff or Huddersfield getting more than 30 points and Newcastle, Fulham and Brighton are pretty crap too.

We might stay up with low/mid 30 points again.

Which is probably spot-on for Gao, Kat and Ralphy.

Still amazes me how we stayed up last year. Long season ahead, there is still some hope if Hughes is able to spot the obvious problems and make changes.

This is where last season Hughes was a marked improvement, because he did seem to try different things in games - didn't always work but sometimes it did.

This season, he seems to be stuck on certain personnel and recently tactics and it's not really working.

It's obviously not helped by the fact that our players weren't great last season, and the players we've signed don't seemed to be huge improvements. Ings looks good, but Vestergaard, Armstrong and Elyounoussi have not done anything to suggest they are much better (if at all) than what they have replaced.

Pathetic - at most clubs that would lose the trust of your fanbase and rightly so. Can see gates dropping to 08/09 levels eg 14000 next year unless we get a decent takeover which benefits the club this time and sweeps away every single trace of the current regime. We know what happens then.

The whole club from top to bottom has developed a losing mentality.

It starts at the very top with chairman who only cares about 17th place and manifests itself in a playing staff that don't give it their all because no-one above is too bothered.

A takeover is the only way out of this malaise - as long as it's to a chairman with some fire in their belly.

It starts at the very top with chairman who only cares about 17th place and manifests itself in a playing staff that don't give it their all because no-one above is too bothered.

A takeover is the only way out of this malaise - as long as it's to a chairman with some fire in their belly.

Agree, the new owner needed to bring in their own Cheif Exec. Someone with vision, drive and a stake in the company.

I bet there are staff who don’t like the way the club is run but there are enough people at or near the top that make it impossible for anything to be done about it. Time for all the board and senior management team to take a look at themselves, decide if they are worthy of our football club instead of congratulating themselves.

I'm with you on that. Owner who only cares about a presence in a league, and leadership who are either lacking or have their hands tied behind their back. I think this is the norm for now. At least all the BS about ambition will stop I suppose.

People have to stop hoping for a take over, this isn't going to happen any time soon. We have only just been bought by someone so he isn't go to sell at a loss and there won't be many people wanted to give the sort of money he would want to persuade him to sell. Not for a provincial also ran.

Our only hope is that the owners want more than this and implement a structure to deliver it, otherwise we are stuck with this **** situation for a while.

We have a squad that was badly in need of upgrading and clearing out those who lacked the drive to win.

From being in the relegation zone at the start of 2018 comparing most of the players that we had in the squad on 1st January 2018, the following key changes have happened:-

1. Van Dyke replaced by Vestergaard. Clearly a massive drop in quality.

2. Tadic replaced by Elyounoussi. Looks no better and Elyounoussi certainly worse at corner taking!

3. Armstrong added.

4. Blew £20m+ on Carillo, a striker who did not score.

So in net terms we, got worse in defense, blew the profit on VVD and have Armstrong..... Meanwhile some starters from 2017 etc have just got older. That is a recipe for another relegation fight.

The only bright side is Ings, a player that scraped in on loan on the last transfer day.

We have a squad that was badly in need of upgrading and clearing out those who lacked the drive to win.

From being in the relegation zone at the start of 2018 comparing most of the players that we had in the squad on 1st January 2018, the following key changes have happened:-

2. Tadic replaced by Elyounoussi. Looks no better and Elyounoussi certainly worse at corner taking!

3. Armstrong added.

So in net terms we, got worse in defense, blew the profit on VVD and have Armstrong..... Meanwhile some starters from 2017 etc have just got older. That is a recipe for another relegation fight.

The only bright side is Ings, a player that scraped in on loan on the last transfer day.

What about Ings? One fleeting line? It’s pretty much irrelevant that we got him on deadline day and it’s not a loan.

What about Ings? One fleeting line. And it’s not a loan.

Yes Ings is the one bright spark, although not allowed to play in 2 games. The indications are that he was a desperate last day move and he had no inclination of a move and we were unable to complete a purchase. Probably a stroke of luck, which begs the question about Reed and his talent hunting in its need to rely on a last day loan to get a striker after a season of scoring failures.

PS It is a loan as he is not allowed to play against Liverpool.

Yes Ings is the one bright spark, although not allowed to play in 2 games. The indications are that he was a desperate last day move and he had no inclination of a move and we were unable to complete a purchase. Probably a stroke of luck, which begs the question about Reed and his talent hunting in its need to rely on a last day loan to get a striker after a season of scoring failures.

PS It is a loan as he is not allowed to play against Liverpool.

In fairness the deal was last minute but it's not like we had the idea to sign Ings on deadline day out of nowhere.

Ings and both clubs said it was something that was in the pipeline all summer, but it took deadline day for Liverpool to get the package they wanted.

People have to stop hoping for a take over, this isn't going to happen any time soon. We have only just been bought by someone so he isn't go to sell at a loss and there won't be many people wanted to give the sort of money he would want to persuade him to sell. Not for a provincial also ran.

Our only hope is that the owners want more than this and implement a structure to deliver it, otherwise we are stuck with this **** situation for a while.

Absolutely, I can't believe that people really believe that the current owner has any intention to sell the club, he's only just bought it. We are stuck with each other for some time yet I think.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Pretty forlorn hope. I don't think he's got a scooby. If he did he wouldn't let Kat keep 20% and he wouldn't let her dictate that Ralphy and Reedy have to hang around.

3. Armstrong added.

Van Dijk left the season before. He was replaced by Hoedt and Bednarek, albeit they were signed when he was here, as we clearly planned on selling him that Jan.

We then added Vestergaard because Bednarek isn't perceived as good enough, Stephens clearly isn't good enough and the club doesn't rate or is trying to sell Yoshida.

Either way, I agree with your point. It's a mess.

Edited by benjii

Burnley - Finished 7th last season. Had a few weeks headstart, fitness wise, one of the most organised and competent managers around.

Everton - We never do anything there. Always gonna be a write off.

Leicester - Silly red card, fluke stoppage time goal. Well orginised side too.

Brighton - That one's ****ing annoying, admittedly.

Liverpool - Perfect start till yesterday, scoring goals for fun. And Anfield is always a tough place.

Wolves - Money they've spent, they have a squad that wouldn't look out of place in the CL. Not many teams are going to go there and get something.

No one's saying it's been an amazing start. In fact, it's been a pretty poor start but I don't think for one minute it's been anywhere near as bad as some of the bed wetters on here are making it out to be. Brighton is literally the only game that still bothers me.

It's a mess but we're better off than last year IMO.

Burnley - Finished 7th last season. Had a few weeks headstart, fitness wise, one of the most organised and competent managers around.

Everton - We never do anything there. Always gonna be a write off.

Leicester - Silly red card, fluke stoppage time goal. Well orginised side too.

Brighton - That one's ****ing annoying, admittedly.

Liverpool - Perfect start till yesterday, scoring goals for fun. And Anfield is always a tough place.

Wolves - Money they've spent, they have a squad that wouldn't look out of place in the CL. Not many teams are going to go there and get something.

No one's saying it's been an amazing start. In fact, it's been a pretty poor start but I don't think for one minute it's been anywhere near as bad as some of the bed wetters on here are making it out to be. Brighton is literally the only game that still bothers me.

It's a mess but we're better off than last year IMO.

Burnley - looked horrendous until the AFCB game. We were there only point

Everton - We got a point there last season, 2 seconds from winning...

Leicester - Fluke? Have a word, it was pathetic defending from Vestergarrd and Romeu

Brighton - Weak, pathetic collapse

Liverpool - Absolutely murdered us, we set up to lose 3-0 from the outset FFS. There are ways to lose

Wolves - Completely average side, in all honestly. 2-0 flattered them. Squad for the CL? Absolutely no way.

It's been a shambles of a start

Burnley - looked horrendous until the AFCB game. We were there only point

Everton - We got a point there last season, 2 seconds from winning...

Leicester - Fluke? Have a word, it was pathetic defending from Vestergarrd and Romeu

Brighton - Weak, pathetic collapse

Liverpool - Absolutely murdered us, we set up to lose 3-0 from the outset FFS. There are ways to lose

Wolves - Completely average side, in all honestly. 2-0 flattered them. Squad for the CL? Absolutely no way.

It's been a shambles of a start

I don't disagree with any of that other than the Wolves comment.

Where does this pony about Wolves being average or poor come from. I’ve seen it on the after match thread and now on here. Particularly laughable is the comment about them whilst listing our results to prove we’re ****e, shall we list Wolves’ results or don’t they count? They’ll be top 10 this season, no bother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where does this pony about Wolves being average or poor come from. I’ve seen it on the after match thread and now on here. Particularly laughable is the comment about them whilst listing our results to prove we’re ****e, shall we list Wolves’ results or don’t they count? They’ll be top 10 this season, no bother.

I think on the day. They were very average yesterday and still beat us by 2

Bit like Leicester at home the other week.

I'm basing it on what I saw yesterday and that they are somehow on an unstoppable march to the Champions League. They are the media darlings, for sure and in for a shout of top 10. And far, far better then us. But CL? Yeah, right.

Van Dijk left the season before. He was replaced by Hoedt and Bednarek, albeit they were signed when he was here, as we clearly planned on selling him that Jan.

We then added Vestergaard because Bednarek isn't perceived as good enough, Stephens clearly isn't good enough and the club doesn't rate or is trying to sell Yoshida.

Either way, I agree with your point. It's a mess.

Just to be pedantic and accurate. i stated it as from 1st january 2018

VVD left on 1 January 2018 and already here were Bednarek from july 2017 and Wesley Hoedt from August 2017.

Just to be pedantic and accurate. i stated it as from 1st january 2018

VVD left on 1 January 2018 and already here were Bednarek from july 2017 and Wesley Hoedt from August 2017.

Yes, that's right. Fair point.

I was trying to say that we must have known VD was going to be off when we signed Hoedt and Bednarek. The fact we've now felt we need another centre back is more a sign of their relative failures than a sudden need to replace VD.

Either way, I think the main point we can all agree on - our signings are much worse than they used to be!