5 wins in last 38 league matches

benjii

Where does this pony about Wolves being average or poor come from. I’ve seen it on the after match thread and now on here. Particularly laughable is the comment about them whilst listing our results to prove we’re ****e, shall we list Wolves’ results or don’t they count? They’ll be top 10 this season, no bother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Astonishing. I actually agree with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, that's right. Fair point.

I was trying to say that we must have known VD was going to be off when we signed Hoedt and Bednarek. The fact we've now felt we need another centre back is more a sign of their relative failures than a sudden need to replace VD.

Either way, I think the main point we can all agree on - our signings are much worse than they used to be!

Fair do's.

The fact is also that with Hoedt and Bednarek and Stephens and Yoshi we landed in a relegation battle. We then added the tallest defender in the PL but a man who so far is unable to dominate crosses!

Burnley - Finished 7th last season. Had a few weeks headstart, fitness wise, one of the most organised and competent managers around.

Everton - We never do anything there. Always gonna be a write off.

Leicester - Silly red card, fluke stoppage time goal. Well orginised side too.

Brighton - That one's ****ing annoying, admittedly.

Liverpool - Perfect start till yesterday, scoring goals for fun. And Anfield is always a tough place.

Wolves - Money they've spent, they have a squad that wouldn't look out of place in the CL. Not many teams are going to go there and get something.

No one's saying it's been an amazing start. In fact, it's been a pretty poor start but I don't think for one minute it's been anywhere near as bad as some of the bed wetters on here are making it out to be. Brighton is literally the only game that still bothers me.

It's a mess but we're better off than last year IMO.

I agree with this. We are better off than last year.

Player for player we're at least as good as Bournemouth, yet they're outperforming us many times over - the manager is responsible for setting up the team and motivating them to play. At any level of football the manager makes a big difference to what happens on the pitch.

Question is how much longer do we accept the 'building the team' argument (as suggested by Ings during his sky interview earlier today) versus the view that hughes is not getting the best out of the squad?

Player for player we're at least as good as Bournemouth, yet they're outperforming us many times over - the manager is responsible for setting up the team and motivating them to play. At any level of football the manager makes a big difference to what happens on the pitch.

Question is how much longer do we accept the 'building the team' argument (as suggested by Ings during his sky interview earlier today) versus the view that hughes is not getting the best out of the squad?

Bournemouth play as a team and have a far better balanced squad than us.

Bournemouth play as a team and have a far better balanced squad than us.

they have a stable team with the same faces consistently playing for the past 3 seasons with a couple of good additions that help them.

on the other hand, we have sold our talent, chopped through managers, and most importantly, we don't even know our best team and nor does our manager.

King and Wilson have been banging them in the last few years the way Mane/Pelle or Lallana/Lambert did. Goals win matches, simple as that. Strikers are the most expensive players for a reason and ours have been flailing for 3 seasons.

I agree with this. We are better off than last year.

After 8 games last season we had 9 points.

After 7 games we only have 5. So even if we beat Chelsea today we will still be worse than last season.

Also our first 7 games have had a lower than average number of top 6 sides (1).

• 2 weeks later...

What do you expect miracles?

Our strikers apart from Ings are gash! Couldn't score in a brothel let alone hit the back of the net on a regular basis....

As for creativity we have none.. Our most creative player is now at Ajax.....

You need goals to win games not rocket science our creative attacking options are poor.

We keep hanging into and fielding average players season after season.... i.e Redmond.. What has he actually done in the Premiership? Let alone Saints I will tell you...

The square root of f##k all......

What do you expect miracles?

Our strikers apart from Ings are gash! Couldn't score in a brothel let alone hit the back of the net on a regular basis....

As for creativity we have none.. Our most creative player is now at Ajax.....

You need goals to win games not rocket science our creative attacking options are poor.

We keep hanging into and fielding average players season after season.... i.e Redmond.. What has he actually done in the Premiership? Let alone Saints I will tell you...

The square root of f##k all......

That's all fine, and I don't disagree, but you should still grind the odd win out. A scrappy one nil following a bundle from a corner or something like that. One win every 8 games is pathetic. It's up there with the worst ever PL teams, in terms of points return over a season.

Bournemouth, Brighton and Burnley don't really have better players than us, ability wise. But they have much, much, better mentality and character.

That's all fine, and I don't disagree, but you should still grind the odd win out. A scrappy one nil following a bundle from a corner or something like that. One win every 8 games is pathetic. It's up there with the worst ever PL teams, in terms of points return over a season.

Bournemouth, Brighton and Burnley don't really have better players than us, ability wise. But they have much, much, better mentality and character.

with the free kicks and corners we put into the box, have more chance of an own goal from the half way line than a goal from a corner

Now we have Austin tweeting rubbish about how the fans need to get behind them, liking tweets about how we 'can't moan when players leave if this continues'.... how about turn up for once Charlie, rather then sticking your namesake up your nose, and then you might get more support.

I haven't actively disliked a Saints player in years, but he comes across an utter tit.

Now we have Austin tweeting rubbish about how the fans need to get behind them, liking tweets about how we 'can't moan when players leave if this continues'.... how about turn up for once Charlie, rather then sticking your namesake up your nose, and then you might get more support.

I haven't actively disliked a Saints player in years, but he comes across an utter tit.

Yeah, that was a bellend tweet. 5 wins in 40. Fans are giving them an easy ride.

Needed JWP yesterday, game changer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think he would have changed much tbh, but he would have done more than Moi managed in the full game, Least Redmond would not have been taking corners n free kicks, how many assists and goals he got from them so far this season ( as the new dedicated free kick and corner taker, you did say JWP should beat Redmond on assists as he took them all last season ( From the bench ), Redmond is now but still yet to get an assist in EPL football all free kicks corners 0 shots on target 0 assists ).

But again I don't think it would have changed much, would have been more dangerous on set pieces but still same rubbish results in open play.

I would go and link that post you did, but seriously, I CBFA with arguing with ppl who never go to games on a forum who only see the bits match of the day showed you / by watching illegal streams.

• 2 weeks later...

The record is quite frankly a disgrace and proof that our issues are bigger than Hughes.

We'll be relegated soon for sure, you cannot turn around a downturn as huge as this without experiencing a relegation. It's pretty much inevitable now. I've accepted it. Just let it happen this season so we don’t have to continuously drag this out like Sunderland did.

Agree that unless things change dramatically we are Championship bound.

I can see a wholesale change in personnel from top to bottom and it is interesting to speculate which players will be sold and those who will remain.

I reckon that the likes of McCarthy, Cedric, Bertrand, Lemina, Hojberg, Redmond, Ings Forster, Gabbi, Romeu, Carillo, Boufal, Mo and Claisie will go for (much reduced) combined fees north of £100m

Perhaps Gunn, Targett, Stephens, Ward Prowse, Davis, Bednerak would be players suitable for the Championship (hopefully at 50% of their current wages) with Gallagher, Reed and Hesketh (possibly McQeen once recovered from injury) and would provide the base for a very average lower tier side although this would depend on how good the summer recruitment process is.

Not sure about the future of Yoshida (probably sold abroad) Hoedt, the new central defender who's name escapes me, Austin and Long as I think none of them are worthy of their wage packages, even if relegation clauses are in their contracts and the club may have to suffer the cost.

It certainly concerns me that a relatively strong Saints side were outplayed by Wolves Res on the Carabao Cup last season and Derby completely outplayed us in a pre season friendly.

I suppose the only saving grace is that whatever the situation we may actually see more wins in the Championship than in the Prem

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love football at the weekend. The excitement, goals and entertainment. I knew we wouldn't win every week but that didn't matter - it was all about following my team and hoping to cheer us on to a victory, no matter who we faced. This current shower has had me genuinely dreading matches for the past 2 years. Heartless, soulless, passionless (and dare I say talentless) drivel week after week. The feeling right through the club epitomised in pathetic on-field performances. We could go 4-0 up and I wouldn't expect us to hang on. I genuinely believe I feel lower about us now than the days of Branfoot or nearly going bust as Wilde, Crouch and Lowe jockeyed for position. Shameful.

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

I used to love football at the weekend. The excitement' date=' goals and entertainment. I knew we wouldn't win every week but that didn't matter - it was all about following my team and hoping to cheer us on to a victory, no matter who we faced. This current shower has had me genuinely dreading matches for the past 2 years. Heartless, soulless, passionless (and dare I say talentless) drivel week after week. The feeling right through the club epitomised in pathetic on-field performances. We could go 4-0 up and I wouldn't expect us to hang on. I genuinely believe I feel lower about us now than the days of Branfoot or nearly going bust under as Wilde, Crouch and Lowe jockeyed for position. Shameful.[/quote']

Spot on. Couldn’t have put it better.

I used to love football at the weekend. The excitement' date=' goals and entertainment. I knew we wouldn't win every week but that didn't matter - it was all about following my team and hoping to cheer us on to a victory, no matter who we faced. This current shower has had me genuinely dreading matches for the past 2 years. Heartless, soulless, passionless (and dare I say talentless) drivel week after week. The feeling right through the club epitomised in pathetic on-field performances. We could go 4-0 up and I wouldn't expect us to hang on. I genuinely believe I feel lower about us now than the days of Branfoot or nearly going bust as Wilde, Crouch and Lowe jockeyed for position. Shameful.[/quote']

The annoying thing this time is that we were in a really strong position.

I used to love football at the weekend. The excitement' date=' goals and entertainment. I knew we wouldn't win every week but that didn't matter - it was all about following my team and hoping to cheer us on to a victory, no matter who we faced. This current shower has had me genuinely dreading matches for the past 2 years. Heartless, soulless, passionless (and dare I say talentless) drivel week after week. The feeling right through the club epitomised in pathetic on-field performances. We could go 4-0 up and I wouldn't expect us to hang on. I genuinely believe I feel lower about us now than the days of Branfoot or nearly going bust as Wilde, Crouch and Lowe jockeyed for position. Shameful.[/quote']Summed up my feelings entirely.

I'm actually feeling guilty because I go to games with my youngest son, who when he got into football, wanted to support Liverpool.

Naturally I steered him towards Saints, but I'm beginning to wish that I'd let him follow them, at least he would've got to see some goals and decent players. When we go down I don't think we will be back in this league for many years, that's the football legacy that I've sold my son.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Summed up my feelings entirely.

I'm actually feeling guilty because I go to games with my youngest son, who when he got into football, wanted to support Liverpool.

Naturally I steered him towards Saints, but I'm beginning to wish that I'd let him follow them, at least he would've got to see some goals and decent players. When we go down I don't think we will be back in this league for many years, that's the football legacy that I've sold my son.

Hey! Cut that out, we won't be having that. As is probably the same I suppose for most of us on this board, our fathers also pushed us into Southampton and good that they did. Ok so we're f*cking ****e and depressing to watch right now (and for many years previous) but on the rare times we do have some kind of success it's a far sweeter and more meaningful experience than we'd feel supporting a team like Liverpool or one of the other lot who just win all the time.

Just make sure there's plenty else in his life to distract him when Saints naturally let him down, then you'll have done a sterling job.

Hey! Cut that out, we won't be having that. As is probably the same I suppose for most of us on this board, our fathers also pushed us into Southampton and good that they did. Ok so we're f*cking ****e and depressing to watch right now (and for many years previous) but on the rare times we do have some kind of success it's a far sweeter and more meaningful experience than we'd feel supporting a team like Liverpool or one of the other lot who just win all the time.

Just make sure there's plenty else in his life to distract him when Saints naturally let him down, then you'll have done a sterling job.

For me, at the moment, it's nothing to do with whether we are **** or not. It's the complete disconnect with the owners and their moron puppets.

I used to love football at the weekend. The excitement' date=' goals and entertainment. I knew we wouldn't win every week but that didn't matter - it was all about following my team and hoping to cheer us on to a victory, no matter who we faced. This current shower has had me genuinely dreading matches for the past 2 years. Heartless, soulless, passionless (and dare I say talentless) drivel week after week. The feeling right through the club epitomised in pathetic on-field performances. We could go 4-0 up and I wouldn't expect us to hang on. I genuinely believe I feel lower about us now than the days of Branfoot or nearly going bust as Wilde, Crouch and Lowe jockeyed for position. Shameful.[/quote']

Yep, and Benji is also right pointing out that the position was so strong in 2016. No need to sell to Gao, that was pure greed by KL, and no need for Puel and all of Reed’s other loony experiments. Koeman owned him and Les didn’t like it, Cortese owned him before that.

Would rather support AFC Southampton ground sharing with Eastleigh than the faceless, dead, corporate shell that pretends to be SFC. SFC died in August 2017 when Gao took over, and those are the memories I’ll retain - Junior Saints, Moran, Shilts, Shearer debut, The Dell, MLT, Casey, Pahars, SMS opening, WGS, Killer, 2003 FA Cup run, Bale, survival, Rickie, League One and Champ promotion sides, 2012-17. Lots of happy memories but unless the club can be ripped out of Gao/Kreuger/KL hands it will die quickly without urgent new ownership and leadership.