Who was the last signing...

Sheaf Saint

...that went on to be a real success?

Our recruitment over the last few seasons has been so poor that it's hard to identify a single player in the current squad who has noticeably improved on who we had before and has reached "first name on the team sheet" status.

My own thought is that it has to be McCarthy. But that in itself is pretty shocking as he wasn't even signed to be a regular starter - he was recruited to be back up to Forster.

We prided ourselves on planning and monitoring years ahead so while our signings initially after Mitchell / Cortese left were decent you'd probably have to give credit to Mitchell for those.

Seems like once Reed / Wilson had to fly fully solo the plane crashed.

Wasted so much money on average players and crud managers

Recruitment was our great strength in the days of NC and Mitchell but since they left, one expensive disappointment has followed another...but |I still have hopes for Danny and Mo and Gunn the goaly but the big CB can't get off the ground or turn round while Yoshi sits and watches.

We just have to grin and bear it.

Although we are polar opposites to how we used to be.

I'm getting pretty pizzled off with it and you do need to wonder if Gao is spectacled enough to do something.

No need to be so grizzly about it. I can’t bear this forum anymore...

Like I was saying in the summer, would have made more sense to sign another cb or attacking wide man then likes of gunn.so far it's looking another poor window bar ings. Elyounoussi looks much worse then boufal and tadic imo. Armstrong looks interesting but can't get in the side. And vestergaards impact isn't changing much better on his own

And all the players we lost that are no longer command a place in their respective first teams..:..Lallana, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, lovren, Clyne.

And some of the players we lost are no longer commanding a place in their respective first teams.....!

VVD, Tadic and Mane are certainly starting every week.

And all the players we lost that are no longer command a place in their respective first teams..:..Lallana, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, lovren, Clyne.

All of whom would still be an automatic first choice, when fit, for us though.

Think you need to quantify success? Technically the last successful season we had was automatic promotion from the championship...

Yeah I realise it's a little ambiguous. I guess what I meant was players that have become important to the way we play; fans' favourites who we would be very sad to see leave.

There are very few players in our current squad who I would actually be upset or annoyed about being sold/replaced.

Any you name wouldn't have done as well under the last couple of managers.

Ings is decent, Elynoussi looks alright, Hojbjerg, Romeu and Lemina have all been great and rubbish at times, Gabbiadini great then rubbish.

It's the managers job to utilise a squad and help players find form. Not just panda to fans who want 10 new signings every window. I couldn't give a fck about signings until we have a decent manager who might actually get something out of them.

Does he? I thought so vs Burnley but I think he's been bloody dreadful since which is a shame as I had/still have some high hopes for him...those hopes have since been tempered somewhat.

Ings looks like he is quality and has benefited from being at Liverpool, if not from a game time perspective. Considering his goals this season are as a result of almost no consistent creativity behind him I think he's a good signing.

Also think Gunn was a good signing and the fee would have been good if we could have shifted Forster.

All of whom would still be an automatic first choice, when fit, for us though.

Have you seen Schneiderlin play recently? Not so sure on that one. Clyne probably would and I'd take Wanyama, when fit is optimisitic when talking about Lallana he seems to have turned into Wilshere. I also wouldn't have Lovren anywhere near this team, the guy is a clown of a defender.

Certainly aside Lallana, who is just injury prone, most of these players have pretty much gone backwards or not improved since their time here.

It probably does highlight there are a lot more factors involved as to why players play well.

Schneiderlin was with us arguably one of the best defensive mids in Europe, his tacking levels, interceptions, work rate etc. was up there with the very best. Yet despite going to to play with better players (certainly at Man Utd), and gaining more experience, he has gone backwards as a player and is nowhere near his level he was at with us.

The team, the manager, the player's personal motivation, the tactical system all have a massive impact.

Those players all came into a team on the up, with good managers, and hungry improving players around them and they complimented the team's system and style of play.

Look at Pelle, aside a couple of good seasons in a poor league he was largely a journeyman striker, but he clicked and worked for us very well. He's then gone on to averagely in a very poor league.

What are our new signings coming into?

A team that has been a general downward trend, with 3 managers in 3 seasons, clearly lacking in leadership both in other players and the management. A team that has no real defined style of play or tactical system, with a collection of other players clearly lacking in motivation and probably too cosy on long term lucrative contracts, with little competition pushing them to do better. A general weak mental attitude in the team that has seen them lose more points from winning positions than any other team.

Is it any wonder most of them struggle?

Ings seems to be the one doing pretty well, and I think one of the driving factors behind that is his motivation, he's had 3 years plagued by injury and is desperate to prove himself whatever, plus is coming to his home town club he supported as a child. He is also already used to the league and the country.

The others are trying to adapt to a new league and new country, surrounded by apathetic players who are playing well below their best, with a manager who has no idea what his best eleven is or even what system and style he wants.

Have you seen Schneiderlin play recently? Not so sure on that one. Clyne probably would and I'd take Wanyama, when fit is optimisitic when talking about Lallana he seems to have turned into Wilshere. I also wouldn't have Lovren anywhere near this team, the guy is a clown of a defender.

Certainly aside Lallana, who is just injury prone, most of these players have pretty much gone backwards or not improved since their time here.

It probably does highlight there are a lot more factors involved as to why players play well.

Schneiderlin was with us arguably one of the best defensive mids in Europe, his tacking levels, interceptions, work rate etc. was up there with the very best. Yet despite going to to play with better players (certainly at Man Utd), and gaining more experience, he has gone backwards as a player and is nowhere near his level he was at with us.

The team, the manager, the player's personal motivation, the tactical system all have a massive impact.

Those players all came into a team on the up, with good managers, and hungry improving players around them and they complimented the team's system and style of play.

Look at Pelle, aside a couple of good seasons in a poor league he was largely a journeyman striker, but he clicked and worked for us very well. He's then gone on to averagely in a very poor league.

What are our new signings coming into?

A team that has been a general downward trend, with 3 managers in 3 seasons, clearly lacking in leadership both in other players and the management. A team that has no real defined style of play or tactical system, with a collection of other players clearly lacking in motivation and probably too cosy on long term lucrative contracts, with little competition pushing them to do better. A general weak mental attitude in the team that has seen them lose more points from winning positions than any other team.

Is it any wonder most of them struggle?

Ings seems to be the one doing pretty well, and I think one of the driving factors behind that is his motivation, he's had 3 years plagued by injury and is desperate to prove himself whatever, plus is coming to his home town club he supported as a child. He is also already used to the league and the country.

The others are trying to adapt to a new league and new country, surrounded by apathetic players who are playing well below their best, with a manager who has no idea what his best eleven is or even what system and style he wants.

Hughes seems to have a pretty clear idea what his best 11 is - that’s part of the problem.

You wouldn't have Lovren over Hoedt. Utter mess.

Biggest issue was we had a midfielder who constantly set up chances, but because the fans didn't like that fact he wouldnt "put a shift in" we sold him to Ajax. Tadic and Ings could've been beautiful.

Missed that bit in tajjuk’s long-winded post. Agree what a mess.

You wouldn't have Lovren over Hoedt. Utter mess.

Biggest issue was we had a midfielder who constantly set up chances, but because the fans didn't like that fact he wouldnt "put a shift in" we sold him to Ajax. Tadic and Ings could've been beautiful.

Lovren consistently makes massive f*ck ups in a Liverpool team that presses like mad, dominates the ball and generally overwhelms most teams they play.

Can you imagine what mess he'd make in our current team without the same protection the Liverpool team affords him. Big difference having Milner working his arse off in front of you than Lemina strolling round the pitch.

People forget the season before we bought him, Lyon pretty much much drove him to us he was that bad, he'd been sent off like 4-5 times that season and made a catalogue of errors. He's consistently had that in him throughout his career and his ego is way bigger than his actual playing ability. When put under pressure he f*cks up, that is consistently seen, and in this current team he'd be put under pressure and he'd be f*cking up just like our other centre backs are.

As for Tadic, he did f*ck all for 2 years, apart from miss some big chances.

It is nothing to do with a 'shift' it was to do with him actually creating chances, getting assists and scoring goals, you know stuff attacking players are supposed to do and what he consistently did not do aside for a brief spell of 6 games at the end of the season where he actually woke up.

9 goals and 8 assists in nearly 70 league games over two years, most of them starts, and IIRC 3 of those goals came right at the end of the season.

In the 15/16 season he managed 7 goals and 12 assists in just 27 games.

Over that same 2 year period Ward-Prowse has managed 7 goals and 7 assists, in about half the game time.

If we had Tadic now, he'd very likely be doing what he'd done over the last few years, very little.

Lovren consistently makes massive f*ck ups in a Liverpool team that presses like mad, dominates the ball and generally overwhelms most teams they play.

Can you imagine what mess he'd make in our current team without the same protection the Liverpool team affords him. Big difference having Milner working his arse off in front of you than Lemina strolling round the pitch.

People forget the season before we bought him, Lyon pretty much much drove him to us he was that bad, he'd been sent off like 4-5 times that season and made a catalogue of errors. He's consistently had that in him throughout his career and his ego is way bigger than his actual playing ability. When put under pressure he f*cks up, that is consistently seen, and in this current team he'd be put under pressure and he'd be f*cking up just like our other centre backs are.

As for Tadic, he did f*ck all for 2 years, apart from miss some big chances.

It is nothing to do with a 'shift' it was to do with him actually creating chances, getting assists and scoring goals, you know stuff attacking players are supposed to do and what he consistently did not do aside for a brief spell of 6 games at the end of the season where he actually woke up.

9 goals and 8 assists in nearly 70 league games over two years, most of them starts, and IIRC 3 of those goals came right at the end of the season.

In the 15/16 season he managed 7 goals and 12 assists in just 27 games.

Over that same 2 year period Ward-Prowse has managed 7 goals and 7 assists, in about half the game time.

If we had Tadic now, he'd very likely be doing what he'd done over the last few years, very little.

But JWP should out assists and out score him, he took every free kick and corner from the bench, 90 % of them never made it past the first defender, 9% went into row z some where, and the 1 % that do make it got him all that, no one ever missed any easy goals either, the only chances JWP made got slotted home. but still, it don't matter, wide midfielders, wingers, inside forwards and strikers are not meant to score goals and get assists, the job of them all is to just cause problems with running and dribbling.

But JWP should out assists and out score him, he took every free kick and corner from the bench, 90 % of them never made it past the first defender, 9% went into row z some where, and the 1 % that do make it got him all that, no one ever missed any easy goals either, the only chances JWP made got slotted home. but still, it don't matter, wide midfielders, wingers, inside forwards and strikers are not meant to score goals and get assists, the job of them all is to just cause problems with running and dribbling.

OMG in all my rambling I just remember, he is only 11 free kicks scored behind the all time EPL record holder, can you picture a saints player holding an EPL record, be quite some thing. ohh wait no, he will be sold to some championship / league 1 or 2 club soon, not good enough for the EPL.

OMG in all my rambling I just remember, he is only 11 free kicks scored behind the all time EPL record holder, can you picture a saints player holding an EPL record, be quite some thing. ohh wait no, he will be sold to some championship / league 1 or 2 club soon, not good enough for the EPL.

Are you JWP? F()cking lunatic.

Seb Larsson and Lauren Robert have 11 goals from Freekicks, equal to Ronaldo. Are they better or the same quality as him then? (in EPL History)

Edited by Cabbage_Face

Are you JWP? F()cking lunatic.

Seb Larsson and Lauren Robert have 11 goals from Freekicks, equal to Ronaldo. Are they better or the same quality as him then? (in EPL History)

What on earth has the EPL direct free kick goals record got to do with Ronaldo, Larsson and Robert m8? are they the record holders? No, Can they break the record? no, Is it possible for JWP, Yes. No need to be so toxic. chilli out, maybe go smoke some cannabis and stop drinking, might help you learn to control your anger issues m8.

What on earth has the EPL direct free kick goals record got to do with Ronaldo, Larsson and Robert m8? are they the record holders? No, Can they break the record? no, Is it possible for JWP, Yes. No need to be so toxic. chilli out, maybe go smoke some cannabis and stop drinking, might help you learn to control your anger issues m8.

Cabbage Face isn’t known on here as coleslaw for nothing pal. After all, he regularly gets shredded to pieces.

Pierre Holjberg will turn out to be a good signing - the next Spiderman, Ings is good, Macca has been excellent, the real under investment has been in full back positions to a degree, Cedric can play poorly week after week and still will be first name on the team sheet (as will Hoedt despite Yoshida being a level above... Mark Hughes stubborness anyone)