Everton 1-1(p) Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Happy we won, obviously, but sweet Jesus what was MH thinking?

Takes off Gabbi and replaces him with Davis who has surely proven to everyone that he is not the right man to bring on when you are trying to defend a lead.

Then goes into a penalty shootout having only made one sub and with Austin and JWP still on the bench.

Bonkers.

Takes off Gabbi and replaces him with Davis who has surely proven to everyone that he is not the right man to bring on when you are trying to defend a lead.

Then goes into a penalty shootout having only made one sub and with Austin and JWP still on the bench.

Bonkers.

JWP I agree with, but Austin missed his last penalty

Anyway we won so it's irrelevant really

Bonkers.

This.

Listened to the Everton audio, they were very complimentary, said we looked far more dangerous than Everton, comfortable on the ball and deserving of the win. Targett our best player.

What did the saints commentators make of it?

They were pretty warm about the performance but sceptical, as I think we all are, of Hughes bringing on Davis and shutting up shop with 15 to go.

Listened to the Everton audio, they were very complimentary, said we looked far more dangerous than Everton, comfortable on the ball and deserving of the win. Targett our best player.

The female pundit on SSN said that Targett had had a quiet night when he stepped up to take his pen!

Whispering Dave has Pinky and Perky under no threat in the CB position, so as you were on Sunday to shore things up tight as a nut at the back.

2 World Cup defenders add to their splinter collection if they are lucky

Good win, sounded like we were decent although from radio Yoshida a bit shaky.

Mad from Hughes aside from the strong selection though, Davis an odd sub and to not bring on Austin and JWP for pens was utterly bizarre, despite the fact we won.

We are very reliant on Redmond for creativity, need him fit all season.

Good win, sounded like we were decent although from radio Yoshida a bit shaky.

Mad from Hughes aside from the strong selection though, Davis an odd sub and to not bring on Austin and JWP for pens was utterly bizarre, despite the fact we won.

We are very reliant on Redmond for creativity, need him fit all season.

We won so that makes Hughes right, no? Did you see Austin’s last penalty?

Bonkers.

Honestly. If you think Austin should be allowed anywhere near a penalty shoot out... you are either delusional or betting on us losing.

Honestly. If you think Austin should be allowed anywhere near a penalty shoot out... you are either delusional or betting on us losing.
He missed his last pen but I would go for him over four of our five takers tonight.

Strange not to bring him on IMO.

I know he messed up his last one, and his all round game has been dogsh*t recently, I grant you. But in a one-shot chance from 12 yards, I would still rather he was taking it than anyone else in the squad, except maybe Bertrand.

oh Jesus, Austin has missed one penalty, and that was his first touch after coming on. Usually very reliable from the spot but don’t let facts get in your way

Bonkers.

We won the shootout, scoring 4 out of 5. Pretty churlish to criticise him for that, even if the central tenet is valid.

Change of formation, change of personnel no major difference. We scrapped by Everton's second string on Pens and made hard work of it. If it was a league game we'd by cursing another 2 pts dropped. Quite why Hughes persists with trying to protect 1 nil leads when we clearly can't is beyond me. Surely we'd be better going for the jugular at 1 up and try get a second instead of inviting teams on to our **** poor defence.

Not sure this bringing on for penalties is proven to be successful and runs the risk of disrupting the shape for remaining minutes.

And ffs, if we kept both strikers on and ended up conceding it would have been ‘how naieve not to try and sure the game up’. At least Davis potentially offered the ability to carry the ball on a break so wasn’t a completely negative sub.

(Either way it didn’t work though)

You posted this on the match thread.

"Classic Hughes waiting too late too bring on JWP and Charlie. Both looked fuming at Hughes"

As you weren't there, how the feck did you see that?

Couple of mates who were there have confirmed this is correct

[EDIT: they have confirmed that both Austin and JWP were stripped off ready to come on; it is not clear if he changed his mind or got the timing wrong. I'm assuming the latter]

Edited by John D

Attention is naturally drawn to the penalty scorers but a shout out goes to Gunn who saved Walcott’s effort. He got a hand to the second penalty but never stood a chance with either Baines’s off-the-crossbar shot nor with Zuma’s straight-down-the-middle bullet.

Yeah, Gunn looks good to me from the little I've seen.

We won the shootout, scoring 4 out of 5. Pretty churlish to criticise him for that, even if the central tenet is valid.

Yep, fair point.

I guess the way the season has gone so far it's understandable that people will to try and find the negatives. I'm usually a pretty optimistic supporter, but I'm obviously not immune to that myself.

Change of formation, change of personnel no major difference. We scrapped by Everton's second string on Pens and made hard work of it. If it was a league game we'd by cursing another 2 pts dropped. Quite why Hughes persists with trying to protect 1 nil leads when we clearly can't is beyond me. Surely we'd be better going for the jugular at 1 up and try get a second instead of inviting teams on to our **** poor defence.

I think the Everton line up was pretty strong to be fair. We did well after riding out the initial storm but then again got nervous when trying to close out the game.

Dunno why Davo was brought on. After that awful pirouette that allowed Watford back in at 2-0 up showed he is well and truely past it.

Attention is naturally drawn to the penalty scorers but a shout out goes to Gunn who saved Walcott’s effort. He got a hand to the second penalty but never stood a chance with either Baines’s off-the-crossbar shot nor with Zuma’s straight-down-the-middle bullet.

He’ll be slightly disappointed with not saving Zouma’s pen, especially as he didn’t dive. But yes it was a bullet.

Edited by shurlock

Gotta be honest pre game I thought to myself “what the f*ck am I doing here” on the way to the ground. But we won at Goodison a ground I’ve never seen us win at. We won on penalties. And I’ll take that every day of the week.

Thought Targett and Redmond were great today, Targett despite his penalty looks like he’s stepped up a level since his loan (and I was a doubter about him).

Tonight makes up for Wolves. Give me a cup and going down any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You posted this on the match thread.

"Classic Hughes waiting too late too bring on JWP and Charlie. Both looked fuming at Hughes"

As you weren't there, how the feck did you see that?

He was probably in the bookies collecting his winnings and saw it on their tv.

Just got back, great night all told. Just read the match thread and not too sure where the info was coming from but I thought for the most part we played pretty well tonight. We started well and they really never got much of a kick for the first 25 minutes or so. I have to say that Goodison Park was the proverbial library as well, god it was quiet.

Thought Maya did really well at the back and won loads of headers from set pieces. Have to say he looked a bit knackered early on, and struggled in some of his ground play, but I think that was more to do with match fitness / sharpness. Balls into the box, he sorted.

Thought we deservedly took the lead, so good to see Redmond deliver a final ball and a sharp finish from Danny as well. Second half they came into it a little more as you would expect but Mario and Pierre still held the midfield for us.

And then MH made our only substitution, I think it baffled most to be honest. Gabi was actually having a good game and looked stronger than I've seen for a while, so why he was subbed is beyond me. But it's also the timing that is wrong as well, we can't sit deep and defend for 20 to 25 minutes, we're not strong enough. If he was going to make that sub he should of done it with 10 to go, not 25.

Theo came on, we all knew what was next and he duly obliged. However after they scored I have to say we didn't just wilt as we have in the past, we kept going and had chances to win it.

When it came to the pens, thought we showed a lot of bottle. I have a phobia of left footed penalty takers so I knew Matt would have his saved, but that shouldn't mar a good performance on the night.

All in all, a good night, decent performance from all of the team, a penalty shoot out, and a win at Goodison Park. How often can you say that?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk