Everton 1-1(p) Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

How many penalty shoot-outs have we been involved in? There was the game against Norwich in the JPT when Bialkowski surprised us all by saving several. There have been others but can’t recall the opponents ... maybe losing one somewhere in the north-west; Blackburn? Bolton? Preston?

Derby

How many penalty shoot-outs have we been involved in? There was the game against Norwich in the JPT when Bialkowski surprised us all by saving several. There have been others but can’t recall the opponents ... maybe losing one somewhere in the north-west; Blackburn? Bolton? Preston?

Bolton managed by BF Sam

Just got back, great night all told. Just read the match thread and not too sure where the info was coming from but I thought for the most part we played pretty well tonight. We started well and they really never got much of a kick for the first 25 minutes or so. I have to say that Goodison Park was the proverbial library as well, god it was quiet.

Thought Maya did really well at the back and won loads of headers from set pieces. Have to say he looked a bit knackered early on, and struggled in some of his ground play, but I think that was more to do with match fitness / sharpness. Balls into the box, he sorted.

Thought we deservedly took the lead, so good to see Redmond deliver a final ball and a sharp finish from Danny as well. Second half they came into it a little more as you would expect but Mario and Pierre still held the midfield for us.

And then MH made our only substitution, I think it baffled most to be honest. Gabi was actually having a good game and looked stronger than I've seen for a while, so why he was subbed is beyond me. But it's also the timing that is wrong as well, we can't sit deep and defend for 20 to 25 minutes, we're not strong enough. If he was going to make that sub he should of done it with 10 to go, not 25.

Theo came on, we all knew what was next and he duly obliged. However after they scored I have to say we didn't just wilt as we have in the past, we kept going and had chances to win it.

When it came to the pens, thought we showed a lot of bottle. I have a phobia of left footed penalty takers so I knew Matt would have his saved, but that shouldn't mar a good performance on the night.

All in all, a good night, decent performance from all of the team, a penalty shoot out, and a win at Goodison Park. How often can you say that?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. Great to have an accurate eye-witness account rather than the deliberately negative b0ll0cks from those who were nowhere near the game and neither saw or heard anything of it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That is my 6th visit to Everton and first win! Or does it count as a second draw? Either way a more enjoyable finish than the last draw back in May!

Having scanned the match thread the negativity is bizarre. Other than a 15 mins spell midway through first half and then a late desperate flurry I thought Everton were second best throughout. Positives for me:

- Bednarek and Stephens. Both put in numerous good challenges both in air and on ground, and look more agile and comfortable on the ball than either Yoshida or Vest. Yoshida to me looked the most vulnerable of the three (despite me being a fan of his)

- we look much more comfortable with three at the back. If we are only wanting to play two not three in the centre of midfield (see below) the third centre back makes us much more secure. Felt more like a 3-4-3 yesterday than 3-5-2

- Hoj and Lemina were outstanding first and second halves respectively. Lemina on form is awesome. I noticed he started in his lethargic looking mode, but as the game continued he got better and better. I wonder if he is one of those confidence animals that struggles when things go against him and us.

- we looked a real threat all night long. Gab I huffed and puffed first half without success but looked very good second half before being subbed.

- Gunn is a star in the making.

So all in all that is two good wins away to PL opposition in this competition. Hopefully puts smiles on faces

That is my 6th visit to Everton and first win! Or does it count as a second draw? Either way a more enjoyable finish than the last draw back in May!

Having scanned the match thread the negativity is bizarre. Other than a 15 mins spell midway through first half and then a late desperate flurry I thought Everton were second best throughout. Positives for me:

- Bednarek and Stephens. Both put in numerous good challenges both in air and on ground, and look more agile and comfortable on the ball than either Yoshida or Vest. Yoshida to me looked the most vulnerable of the three (despite me being a fan of his)

- we look much more comfortable with three at the back. If we are only wanting to play two not three in the centre of midfield (see below) the third centre back makes us much more secure. Felt more like a 3-4-3 yesterday than 3-5-2

- Hoj and Lemina were outstanding first and second halves respectively. Lemina on form is awesome. I noticed he started in his lethargic looking mode, but as the game continued he got better and better. I wonder if he is one of those confidence animals that struggles when things go against him and us.

- we looked a real threat all night long. Gab I huffed and puffed first half without success but looked very good second half before being subbed.

- Gunn is a star in the making.

So all in all that is two good wins away to PL opposition in this competition. Hopefully puts smiles on faces

Thanks for report was following on Sky commentary rather than negative ****** on here. Appreciate time taken to write that.

Was Davis sub as bad as read?

I used to be a fan but think he now struggles with the pace?

JWP after Brighton wasnt getting on before him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wasn’t confident with any of our penalties, naturally, but was anyone anything other than aghast when Cedric stepped up to take the fifth?!

I must confess to making an unsaintly gasp when I saw Cedric march up for the s**t-or-bust moment. Further, I will own up to making double-take when Hojberg approached the spot for the third. Memories of his accuracy (or lack of it) last season still remain; perhaps unfairly given his vast improvement this.

So in summary - positive comments from the fans actually at the game & usual negativity from the mongs at home!

TBF Most of those at home where taking their lead from Blackmore and Merrington two blokes sat at the game giving a less than glowing account of saints performance especially the defence.

I wasn’t confident with any of our penalties, naturally, but was anyone anything other than aghast when Cedric stepped up to take the fifth?!

Obviously you've not been paying attention. He is rapidly becoming our best player this season bearing in mind his slow start because he arrived back from the World Cup ages after everyone else. Remember too that screamer he scored at the end of last season. I was delighted when he stepped forward last night to clinch our win.

Too many on here dis the bloke for reasons that escape me and no doubt many others. He is a class act and could play in a much better team than our current load of brainless cast offs and will find many high profile suitors when his contract ends.

Obviously you've not been paying attention. He is rapidly becoming our best player this season bearing in mind his slow start because he arrived back from the World Cup ages after everyone else. Remember too that screamer he scored at the end of last season. I was delighted when he stepped forward last night to clinch our win.

Too many on here dis the bloke for reasons that escape me and no doubt many others. He is a class act and could play in a much better team than our current load of brainless cast offs and will find many high profile suitors when his contract ends.

Woah, hang on a minute... at no point have I called Cedric out for being a bad player. He just happens to be very unconvincing whenever he is in a position to shoot from distance. I'm not sure he has ever scored a screamer, I think his only goal for us was against Wigan in the cup - I was there, it was very well taken (but he was also atrocious that day), but is probably the only time I've ever seen him show composure in front of goal, hence why I was surprised when he stepped up to take a penalty.

Thanks for report was following on Sky commentary rather than negative ****** on here. Appreciate time taken to write that.

Was Davis sub as bad as read?

I used to be a fan but think he now struggles with the pace?

JWP after Brighton wasnt getting on before him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I thought both JWP and Davis played well at Brighton. Feels like an end of an era with Davis, but JWP is paying price of Hughes wanting just two in midfield i think. I think I would have him in ahead of Moi right now, but per my previous comment reckon we will go 3-4-3 Saturday and Moi drop out in favour of extra centre back perhaps

I do not want to see Hoedt waltz back in on Sunday. My continued support for Hughes will take a big dent if that happens.

Ditto, Yoshida made a big difference Weds. OK, was a bit rusty but still miles better than Hoedt. Want to see Vestergaard and Yoshi in the same backline.

Shurlock - must admit I was being a bit tongue in cheek by calling Hoedt Wessex League but he is appalling!

The weird thing is that we only have a core of outfield players good enough to consistently start yet 2 very decent PL calibre goalkeepers, Gunn looks tidy and calm. McCarthy has continued his good form though from last year.