Fraser Forster

spyinthesky

Dont understand why Leeds would go for Forster. Theyve two good young keepers. Yes Forster would bring experience, but that come with inflated wages and the possibility that hes still not mentally right.

And being legitimately cr4p, which is also another problem

Dont understand why Leeds would go for Forster. Theyve two good young keepers. Yes Forster would bring experience, but that come with inflated wages and the possibility that hes still not mentally right.

Bailey Peacock-Farrell has a knee injury and Jamal Blackman was on loan is injured and gone back to his parent club. Apart from some untried youngsters they don't have anyone else. They are desparate for a keeper.

Think Ralph's comments the other day about him playing for the u23 is designed to push this through. Leeds need a keeper, think we have agreed a fee with them but the wage drop is a sticking point - maybe Fraser is hoping we'll continue to pay some wages. Our club view is that we won't pay him anything so simply, yes, you will earn less there and a lot more here, but if you stay here you won't play any football other than u23. Your choice Fraser.

I do sympathise if he's had some of the issues mentioned, and no one wants a major pay cut (and it's not his fault we gave him such a ridiculous contract) but if rumours are true, he needs to put his mental health ahead of the money and do what's best for him on that front. Maybe it is hiding and getting more money, but maybe it is getting rehabilitated as a footballer and making a fresh start. Who knows. If he makes the move, it's not as if he's going to be financially struggling, is it.

Edited by Chewy
Typo

Think Ralph's comments the other day about him playing for the u23 is designed to push this through. Leeds need a keeper, think we have agreed a fee with them but the wage drop is a sticking point - maybe Fraser is hoping we'll continue to pay some wages. Our club view is that we won't pay him anything so simply, yes, you will earn less there and a lot more here, but if you stay here you won't play any football other than u23. Your choice Fraser.

I do sympathise if he's had some of the issues mentioned, and no one wants a major pay cut (and it's not his fault we gave him such a ridiculous contract) but if rumours are true, he needs to put his mental health ahead of the money and do what's best for him on that front. Maybe it is hiding and getting more money, but maybe it is getting rehabilitated as a footballer and making a fresh start. Who knows. If he makes the move, it's not as if he's going to be financially struggling, is it.

Would be absolute astonished if anyone signs Forster permanently in this window.

Would be absolute astonished if anyone signs Forster permanently in this window.

I went on the stadium tour the other day, the guide (who is close to a lot of the players) mentioned about Fraser and said Fraser is getting a the help he needs for his off field issues and Fraser has been really grateful for that help and a move away from saints is not a priority for him and club because the help saints is giving him is the most important thing.

I went on the stadium tour the other day, the guide (who is close to a lot of the players) mentioned about Fraser and said Fraser is getting a the help he needs for his off field issues and Fraser has been really grateful for that help and a move away from saints is not a priority for him and club because the help saints is giving him is the most important thing.

It's great to hear that the club cares. It's the right attitude, even if it's not always reflected by some players (I'm thinking about Lovren with this comment)

From The Echo this morning:

Saints are yet to receive any firm offers for Forster

So still nothing on Forster. Very quiet in the summer too, although there were whispers about him not liking any of the options he had.

He hasn't appeared for the U23's either which Ralph spoke about as a possible option.

Hard to see his situation changing any time soon.

From The Echo this morning:

So still nothing on Forster. Very quiet in the summer too, although there were whispers about him not liking any of the options he had.

He hasn't appeared for the U23's either which Ralph spoke about as a possible option.

Hard to see his situation changing any time soon.

He's just earning too much money. I can't see any club wanting to pay 60k+ in wages for someone who hasn't set foot on a football field in 18 months or so? Plus he had a year out prior to that with a very bad injury.

We've pushed ourselves into a corner with the huge salary we gave him and anyone in their right mind isn't going to say ''Don't worry, let me play for free'' when he still has 3/4 years remaining. So, well done Les. His career at the top level is probably over and we're out of pocket for millions.

He's just earning too much money. I can't see any club wanting to pay 60k+ in wages for someone who hasn't set foot on a football field in 18 months or so? Plus he had a year out prior to that with a very bad injury.

We've pushed ourselves into a corner with the huge salary we gave him and anyone in their right mind isn't going to say ''Don't worry, let me play for free'' when he still has 3/4 years remaining. So, well done Les. His career at the top level is probably over and we're out of pocket for millions.

Agree. We want 60k a week & that's just a percentage. Plus, nobody is seemingly desperate for a keeper., which would also help our cause. Stoke were linked a while back but they've kept hold of Butland (also because nobody want to put down £30m+ on him.)

I suppose the only way to get him out and playing is to pay a bigger % of his wages, assuming there's interest in him.

(The new contract on top of the new contract will perhaps remain one of the mysteries we will never solve).

Agree. We want 60k a week & that's just a percentage. Plus, nobody is seemingly desperate for a keeper., which would also help our cause. Stoke were linked a while back but they've kept hold of Butland (also because nobody want to put down £30m+ on him.)

I suppose the only way to get him out and playing is to pay a bigger % of his wages, assuming there's interest in him.

(The new contract on top of the new contract will perhaps remain one of the mysteries we will never solve).

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-07-19/fraser-forster-new-southampton-five-year-contract-announcement

Vice Chairman (Football) Les Reed said: “We are extremely pleased to have strengthened our commitment with Fraser, who has been an integral part of our team over the past three seasons.

“He has already established himself as one of the leading keepers in the Premier League and, at 29, we believe he still has his best years ahead of him, not just for us but also the national team.

“This is the ideal place for him to continue his progress, under the guidance of our Head of Goalkeeping, Dave Watson, and we are delighted that Fraser continues to see his long-term future at Southampton.”

EuphoricSoftAndeancat-small.gif

Mental illness is a horrendous thing, and with the precipitous drop from being lauded as a Premier League Keeper and England International, to not even being wanted on loan by Championship teams could be catastrophic for ones mental wellbeing. With male suicide being the biggest killer of men under 50, it's something that needs far more recognition, funding and support, especially in a game where people with mental illness could be looked at and criticised as weak.

Best of luck Fraser, and fingers crossed you're getting better.

This

Surely, it would be worth loaning him to a club who contributes something like £10k a week only (sic.) to his wages. There’s no chance he’ll play for us, so any contribution to his wage bill would save Saints a bit of money and put him in the shop window if he gets any form back.

Surely, it would be worth loaning him to a club who contributes something like £10k a week only (sic.) to his wages. There’s no chance he’ll play for us, so any contribution to his wage bill would save Saints a bit of money and put him in the shop window if he gets any form back.

I think this is going to be the only solution.

There is nothing to say he would go. A sick person dislikes changer and fears the challenge of something new, easier to sit on what you've got.

There must be a tipping point at which wage contribution is sufficient to offset risks of loaning him out. Worst case would be if McCarthy & Gunn both pick up injuries or suspensions and all of a sudden there is a place for Forster but we've sent him out on loan. I'd take the risk of that happening if a club was contributing 100% of his wages but not if only a small amount

There must be a tipping point at which wage contribution is sufficient to offset risks of loaning him out. Worst case would be if McCarthy & Gunn both pick up injuries or suspensions and all of a sudden there is a place for Forster but we've sent him out on loan. I'd take the risk of that happening if a club was contributing 100% of his wages but not if only a small amount

I guess you can just add a recall to the loan.

I guess you can just add a recall to the loan.

Not if he isn't registered in the squad. We have Harry Lewis, Jack Rose, Alex Cull and Adam Parkes anyway. I think Lewis is already.considered the #3. If Forster really wants to kick start his career he would take a pay cut to go elsewhere. Issue is clearly that no one else really wants to take him, understandably.

Not if he isn't registered in the squad. We have Harry Lewis, Jack Rose, Alex Cull and Adam Parkes anyway. I think Lewis is already.considered the #3. If Forster really wants to kick start his career he would take a pay cut to go elsewhere. Issue is clearly that no one else really wants to take him, understandably.

if Lewis is considered #3 then there is no reason for us to not accept pretty much any offer coming our way. Even someone paying £20k a week of his wages would not be something to sniff at, however there aren't all that many championship clubs that have the funds available AND a slot that needs filling. I know we haven't been impressed with him, but you'd think that his England call up would be enough for someone to take a punt on him making a difference for them.

Scrub Parkes...

I don't really get it. Even if we pay all of his wages, surely it's in our interests and his to loan him out so that he gets game time. We're never going to sell him if nobody ever sees him play.

Exactly. He's not even in the shop window. I thought he was going to play for the U23's but even that's not happened.

Perhaps he's not mentally fit yet , I wonder about goalkeepers , Carson was thrown into the deep end for England and due to a bobble of the ball off the pitch let in a goal that meant England fail to qualify , since then he went downhill but is still playing at a lower level.

Hart was England No1 as well as Man C but now he can't get a game for Burnley.

I don't really get it. Even if we pay all of his wages, surely it's in our interests and his to loan him out so that he gets game time. We're never going to sell him if nobody ever sees him play.

Can't loan him out if no-one wants to take him, doesn't matter what it costs. No-one seemingly is willing to take the risk.

Can/t believe no one in championship or around europe is willing to loan him a pay a chunk of wages. He's a recent international, a good age and was part of a really good side.

Bizarre. He must want to play. Never seen a keeper slip down so far so quickly.

Yeah he's not great, but people still sign Joe Hart.

Would you sign him as he has not played a competitive game for possibly over a year

It's a really tricky one. Saints want to do the right thing by FF but at the same time they are running a business. If FF is not well enough to either play or be transferred, then he could be deemed to be in breach of contract if it went on long enough and Saints could terminate it. In these cases coming to a mutual agreement is always better

That’s illegal . You can’t reduce someone’s wages if they’re ill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You aren't obliged to keep someone on forever if they aren't well enough to do their job. It's quite possible we have reached an agreement with him along those lines.

That’s illegal . You can’t reduce someone’s wages if they’re ill.

I know footballers exist in a bubble outside the normal rules of employment, but it's extremely irregular for anybody to get indefinite sick pay in any job.

If I went off on long term sick from my job (for something mental health-related, for instance), I would get sick pay only for up to 6 months and then after that I would only get statutory sick pay, which is just a fraction of my actual salary.

We just don't know what Fraser's contract contains, but I would expect there is something in there about making himself available to train and play provided he is physically fit enough to do so.

Well you can reduce peoples wages if they are long term sick , even in my day we got 6 months full pay and then HALF pay after that . Of course people staggered back to work just before 6 months was up and then went sick again thus resetting the 6 months !

Shopworkers (in the seventies) did not get paid for going sick on a Friday or Monday and were only given sick pay for two WEEKS.

These days people are on joke self employed contracts which means they get NO sick pay .

People now go to work when ill as they would be called in for an interview and grilled about going sick etc etc , of course this meant the really ill got hauled in for a stiff interview while the "professionals" knew when to ease off ringing in spoof sick until the reporting period reset !

FF should be well set up financially now and he may want to try something else , good wishes to him anyway .

I know footballers exist in a bubble outside the normal rules of employment, but it's extremely irregular for anybody to get indefinite sick pay in any job.

If I went off on long term sick from my job (for something mental health-related, for instance), I would get sick pay only for up to 6 months and then after that I would only get statutory sick pay, which is just a fraction of my actual salary.

We just don't know what Fraser's contract contains, but I would expect there is something in there about making himself available to train and play provided he is physically fit enough to do so.

Don’t be silly. Footballers don’t run out of sick pay and go on SSP. There is absolutely 0% chance that the PFA or FF agent will accept us reducing his wages. None whatsoever. There maybe a series of fines if he doesn’t train, but I doubt very much we’d start fining him if he’s got mental health issues.

Well you can reduce peoples wages if they are long term sick , even in my day we got 6 months full pay and then HALF pay after that . Of course people staggered back to work just before 6 months was up and then went sick again thus resetting the 6 months !

Shopworkers (in the seventies) did not get paid for going sick on a Friday or Monday and were only given sick pay for two WEEKS.

These days people are on joke self employed contracts which means they get NO sick pay .

People now go to work when ill as they would be called in for an interview and grilled about going sick etc etc , of course this meant the really ill got hauled in for a stiff interview while the "professionals" knew when to ease off ringing in spoof sick until the reporting period reset !

FF should be well set up financially now and he may want to try something else , good wishes to him anyway .

Some of us want to be self employed and are not ‘entitled’ so leave out the self employed violins please.

No one is forced to do anything !

Don’t be silly. Footballers don’t run out of sick pay and go on SSP. There is absolutely 0% chance that the PFA or FF agent will accept us reducing his wages. None whatsoever. There maybe a series of fines if he doesn’t train, but I doubt very much we’d start fining him if he’s got mental health issues.

All of which is completely irrelevant if Fraser himself has agreed to a reduced wage, which is what is being suggested by some people.

But your suggestion that it would be illegal to reduce someone's wages just for being ill is just plain wrong. It all depends on the contract terms of course, and in most cases outside of the football bubble it is completely normal.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fraser Forster