Fraser Forster

spyinthesky

I don't think it's his luck that has changed, more the level of teams that he now plays against.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

On that theme you could argue the defenders in front of him are not so good.

His job is primarily to prevent goals and somehow his luck / coaching / confidence were all at a low point at our club.

...and Lazio were quite good !!!

Just seen the highlights, I know the SPL is a far cry from the EPL, but it doesn't take away from how good a game he had today.

Numerous point blank saves, another flying into top bag that he managed to tip around the post and a superb penalty save.

It's hard to say how he compares to our GK's currently, the pressures on Saints and our players are entirely different to those faced in Celtic's season.

I don't think it's his luck that has changed, more the level of teams that he now plays against.

I am not sure that I see the logic in this when it comes to keepers. A great save is a great save at any level of football.

I am not sure that I see the logic in this when it comes to keepers. A great save is a great save at any level of football.

I'm not denying that he may have had a good game and made good saves during that game. The point being that he won't be the 1st average player to do well in a league that is obviously of a lower standard to the one he left. How many of you would've had Fraser or Mo down to win trohpies while they were in the Premier League, slightly easier to win things now and be at the fore of that league I would suggest.

Best outcome ? Forster continues to have good games for Celtic and a deal is done .

Knock on is Saints use free up of wage bill / transfer fee to get 2 proven defenders in , plenty of top clubs use 30 year old proven defenders such as J Evans etc.

Celtic aren't able to pay him anything close to what he's on here. I would've thought it unlikely that we will be prepared to do a severance deal with a guy who is playing out of his skin. Conversely, with the history (the total loss of form) I think it unlikely someone else will offer a deal that works for him financially considering what he would be giving up.

Celtic aren't able to pay him anything close to what he's on here. I would've thought it unlikely that we will be prepared to do a severance deal with a guy who is playing out of his skin. Conversely, with the history (the total loss of form) I think it unlikely someone else will offer a deal that works for him financially considering what he would be giving up.

Clearly, FF from his last interview is more than delighted at Celtic. Despite our keeper issue, he is unlikely to become the starting keeper at Saints, so best option is FF takes a bit of a pay cut, and we agree to sell him for around £5M - not ideal but a fair compromise by all sides. Only hope we use funds to buy a decent CM in return.

Clearly, FF from his last interview is more than delighted at Celtic. Despite our keeper issue, he is unlikely to become the starting keeper at Saints, so best option is FF takes a bit of a pay cut, and we agree to sell him for around £5M - not ideal but a fair compromise by all sides. Only hope we use funds to buy a decent CM in return.

More likely we'd terminate the contract mutually for free and Celtic offer him a big signing on fee to cover his drop in wages. I can't see us getting him off the wage bill AND getting a fee.

More likely we'd terminate the contract mutually for free and Celtic offer him a big signing on fee to cover his drop in wages. I can't see us getting him off the wage bill AND getting a fee.

Unless some other team comes in for him as he is showing what he can do now (ok, far fetched I know)!

Just seen the highlights, I know the SPL is a far cry from the EPL, but it doesn't take away from how good a game he had today.

Numerous point blank saves, another flying into top bag that he managed to tip around the post and a superb penalty save.

It's hard to say how he compares to our GK's currently, the pressures on Saints and our players are entirely different to those faced in Celtic's season.

I also watched extended highlights and I'm really pleased for Fraser, i really am. But look again at the performance and it's lucky save after lucky save, at no point does Fraser look in control. It was a terrible penalty that he saved, plus he was well off his line when it was taken, so in the Premier League with VAR it would have been retaken. It was just a series of punches and last ditch kicks that looked more at home in League 2. I won't even mention the unclaimed crosses.

But anyway, good luck to him. Seems like a really top bloke and good to see him as a winner north of the border, and i wish him further success with Celtic . He woukd be a fool to return here, even if that was an option

I also watched extended highlights and I'm really pleased for Fraser, i really am. But look again at the performance and it's lucky save after lucky save, at no point does Fraser look in control. It was a terrible penalty that he saved, plus he was well off his line when it was taken, so in the Premier League with VAR it would have been retaken. It was just a series of punches and last ditch kicks that looked more at home in League 2. I won't even mention the unclaimed crosses.

But anyway, good luck to him. Seems like a really top bloke and good to see him as a winner north of the border, and i wish him further success with Celtic . He woukd be a fool to return here, even if that was an option

Have you see any Europa league games? He has been at that level every time. Maybe it’s less pressure for him up there, apparently his mental state was not good at Saints. I don’t think he would favour a return.

But that’s Forster as a keeper. It depends on your view but it’s likely that if you’ve played in goal before then you will see being in the position the ball is hit and stopping it houngbin off any old body part as a good save. Looks a bit rough but the 0 at the end of the word Rangers in the shoreline is all that matters.

It’s the type if keeping that he did well at with us, he fills the goal and blocks.

He had a dodgy moment early on that worked out fine and sometimes it’s those tiny moments that make it break players. I’m glad it’s going well for him, he will never look that pretty in goal but can be a good keeper on one level. If his confidence had state high and he commanded his area he’d be excellent. Hope he continued story go well up there for nothing more than his own sake. Easy to knock his style but when mom in a 1-0 cup win you deserve nothing but praise

But that’s Forster as a keeper. It depends on your view but it’s likely that if you’ve played in goal before then you will see being in the position the ball is hit and stopping it houngbin off any old body part as a good save. Looks a bit rough but the 0 at the end of the word Rangers in the shoreline is all that matters.

It’s the type if keeping that he did well at with us, he fills the goal and blocks.

He had a dodgy moment early on that worked out fine and sometimes it’s those tiny moments that make it break players. I’m glad it’s going well for him, he will never look that pretty in goal but can be a good keeper on one level. If his confidence had state high and he commanded his area he’d be excellent. Hope he continued story go well up there for nothing more than his own sake. Easy to knock his style but when mom in a 1-0 cup win you deserve nothing but praise

Yeah good points there, well made. I wish him all the best

Give them Forster and Elyounoussi in return for Kristoffer Ajer and Jeremie Frimpong?

Frimpong looks a talent. I know its hard to judge players in the Scottish League (except VVD who was just strolling around) but Jullien doing well it seems. A play we were linked with before signing Vestergaard

Watched the highlights, he looked like old Forster again, throwing that massive frame in front of anything, he was never the most elegant keeper or the most technically accomplished I don't think, but at his best he's this huge, brave, commanding presence with very good reflexes that was able to pull off some absurd saves.

His confidence clearly went, weren't their rumours of mental health issues? He wasn't commanding his area, wasn't being brave, coming out forcefully for us, wasn't coming at the ball, and that is where the mistakes came.

Good to see him doing well, always seemed like an honest pro and a decent guy.

Hopefully we can raise some funds from him to buy needed replacements elsewhere, I don't think him coming back is good idea, looks like the change of scene has done the trick and you wouldn't want to risk him coming back and falling into the same funk again. Plus long term I think Gunn will be a much better keeper.

It all seemed to start at and after his injury. Maybe there was a lurking moment's hesitation before committing himself? Then loss of confidence and a downward spiral

He wasn't very good before that. He had a brilliant defence in front of him yet still struggled to save anything lower than his waist, couldn't get across to save anything that wasn't straight at him, had no command of his penalty area and his kicking is atrocious.

I've never met Forster but I've read a few accounts of people that have and from what I can gather, he's a really nice guy so I'm pleased things are working out for him back at Celtic but sadly he's never been very good for us (excluding games played against Arsenal where he always seemed to be world class for some reason).

It seems the only winner so far has been FF himself. If he was paid £80k a week for 2 years inactivity, that's £8M we have given him.

If he puts £5M of that on the table, and Celtic match it, I'm sure we'd take the £10M.

I'm not trying to minimise his mental anguish previously, but he is fine now (presumably) and I don't see why we shouldn't get a return on our investment.

It seems the only winner so far has been FF himself. If he was paid £80k a week for 2 years inactivity, that's £8M we have given him.

If he puts £5M of that on the table, and Celtic match it, I'm sure we'd take the £10M.

I'm not trying to minimise his mental anguish previously, but he is fine now (presumably) and I don't see why we shouldn't get a return on our investment.

Sorry, have I got this right... you’d like Forster to pay £5m from his own money to pay for a transfer fee to a club where he’ll be paid a lot less?

We would take £0 for Forster, if it got him off the wage bill.

Sorry, have I got this right... you’d like Forster to pay £5m from his own money to pay for a transfer fee to a club where he’ll be paid a lot less?

We would take £0 for Forster, if it got him off the wage bill.

I think we'd want a fee for him now.

It all seemed to start at and after his injury. Maybe there was a lurking moment's hesitation before committing himself? Then loss of confidence and a downward spiral

All of the goalkeepers coached by Dave Watson got worse, not just Forster. Now that Watson has been replaced, hopefully things will improve. Unfortunately though, he is now coaching our outfield players.

Yeah, I saw a report that we had named the price for Forster as £20M. So we need to find a compromise agreement. Someone mentioned getting Celtic players in exchange, which may be a good option.

Ha Ha ..... in our dreams. Scottish Football is not awash with momey. Even Celtic have only paid 2 fees above 6 million ever, 9m for Edouard and 7m this summer for Jullien.

Nothing else above 6 million ......... we'd be lucky to get 8 million for a Forster and Elyounoussi package deal.

• 2 months later...

"if Frazer can do a deal with Southampton" They buy him cheap and we pay a lump of his contract so they can cut price him. We should bring him back and only if he can't win his place, on present form he could, we should sell him to the highest bidder.

Fraser Forster's continuing success at Celtic is heart-warming stuff for all who like romantic Roy of the Rovers come-back stories. I was sad for the lad and all his troubles before making the temporary move back north of the border. He has dug in deep and found something inside himself that has rekindled the spark of greatness that once seemed to burn so bright.

Will be intriguing to see how the club handle him this summer with none of our retained keepers showing much above adequate performance levels since the Big Man left.

Cynics will say no doubt, grab the dosh and get rid but those who understand football a bit more may counsel for the coaching staff to take a second look at him as they did with Boufal.

Imagine having a Merc in the garage but commuting to work in an eco car because it gives better fuel consumption. Then your neighbour says "come on mate, let me have the Merc off you for free as you're not driving it".

You'd be prepared to accept market value for it, maybe, but give it to him for free? I think not.

This seems to be the line Celtic are adopting. "You're not playing him, so he's worthless to you. Give him to us for free" (Some even saying give the player some money as well.)

I agree with above. If Celtic don't want to pay market value, then bring him and back to sell to highest bidder (if offer acceptable) or retain. Can't see why we should give him away.

Imagine having a Merc in the garage but commuting to work in an eco car because it gives better fuel consumption. Then your neighbour says "come on mate, let me have the Merc off you for free as you're not driving it".

You'd be prepared to accept market value for it, maybe, but give it to him for free? I think not.

This seems to be the line Celtic are adopting. "You're not playing him, so he's worthless to you. Give him to us for free" (Some even saying give the player some money as well.)

I agree with above. If Celtic don't want to pay market value, then bring him and back to sell to highest bidder (if offer acceptable) or retain. Can't see why we should give him away.

The Merc in the garage wouldn't be costing you £3.6million a year to sit there and do **** all. That's why we should get Forster off the wage bill for whatever we can get.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fraser Forster's continuing success at Celtic is heart-warming stuff for all who like romantic Roy of the Rovers come-back stories. I was sad for the lad and all his troubles before making the temporary move back north of the border. He has dug in deep and found something inside himself that has rekindled the spark of greatness that once seemed to burn so bright.

Will be intriguing to see how the club handle him this summer with none of our retained keepers showing much above adequate performance levels since the Big Man left.

Cynics will say no doubt, grab the dosh and get rid but those who understand football a bit more may counsel for the coaching staff to take a second look at him as they did with Boufal.

What a load of pony.

“Spark of greatness” lol

He’s been barely adequate himself, extremely average keeper. Just because he looks half decent in a pub league doesn’t change that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Merc in the garage wouldn't be costing you £3.6million a year to sit there and do **** all. That's why we should get Forster off the wage bill for whatever we can get.

I'm pretty sure that he costs us more than that, but whatever it is, I agree with your approach.

That figure suggests Celtic are paying nothing toward his wages, and we are paying the lot, the whole £70k/wk. Is that the case?

I don't believe we would have done that deal. We're a compassionate employer having funded his sick leave, but I can't imagine we would still be paying the full wage while he is at Celtic. Pure hypothesis - maybe Celtic pay £20k, we pay £50k?

The "whatever we can get" needs to be a significant clawback on our costs in the last 2 years.

That figure suggests Celtic are paying nothing toward his wages, and we are paying the lot, the whole £70k/wk. Is that the case?

I don't believe we would have done that deal. We're a compassionate employer having funded his sick leave, but I can't imagine we would still be paying the full wage while he is at Celtic. Pure hypothesis - maybe Celtic pay £20k, we pay £50k?

The "whatever we can get" needs to be a significant clawback on our costs in the last 2 years.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/celtic-paying-fraser-forster-a-massive-40k-a-week-claims-ex-star-1-5088785

Not sure how accurate this site is but suggest Celtic are paying £40K per week - 50%?

Might be right if they paid us a substantial loan fee instead.

We can hold out for a significant clawback on our losses and end up keeping him till the end of his contract, and lose a whole lot more.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fraser Forster