Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Forster - Loaned to Celtic: Official

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsland Red View Post
    Credit where it's due. He is doing well at Celtic. Against Lazio and today he looked useful on TV.
    Glad his luck has changed , that's football.
    I don't think it's his luck that has changed, more the level of teams that he now plays against.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

I'm happy he's doing well up there. Hopefully they buy him. His wages are ****ing ridiculous because Les gave him a new contract less than a year after he'd just signed a new contract. We need him off the books and let's be honest, he really isn't that good!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I don't think it's his luck that has changed, more the level of teams that he now plays against.

On that theme you could argue the defenders in front of him are not so good.
    His job is primarily to prevent goals and somehow his luck / coaching / confidence were all at a low point at our club.

...and Lazio were quite good !!!

Just seen the highlights, I know the SPL is a far cry from the EPL, but it doesn't take away from how good a game he had today.

Numerous point blank saves, another flying into top bag that he managed to tip around the post and a superb penalty save.

It's hard to say how he compares to our GK's currently, the pressures on Saints and our players are entirely different to those faced in Celtic's season.

I suggest a trade with Celtic. We give them FF, Dave "nice hair" Watson and Kelvin, and we get whoever their GK coach is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    I suggest a trade with Celtic. We give them FF, Dave "nice hair" Watson and Kelvin, and we get whoever their GK coach is.
    It’s Tommy Forecast!!

7. Default

I am not sure that I see the logic in this when it comes to keepers. A great save is a great save at any level of football.

8. Default

I am not sure that I see the logic in this when it comes to keepers. A great save is a great save at any level of football.

Quote Originally Posted by St_Tel49 View Post
    I'm not denying that he may have had a good game and made good saves during that game. The point being that he won't be the 1st average player to do well in a league that is obviously of a lower standard to the one he left. How many of you would've had Fraser or Mo down to win trohpies while they were in the Premier League, slightly easier to win things now and be at the fore of that league I would suggest.

10. Default

Best outcome ? Forster continues to have good games for Celtic and a deal is done .

Knock on is Saints use free up of wage bill / transfer fee to get 2 proven defenders in , plenty of top clubs use 30 year old proven defenders such as J Evans etc.

Quote Originally Posted by St_Tel49 View Post
    I agree, and at the end of the day the team he was playing against yesterday are quite good. Probably lower EPL level......

Quote Originally Posted by East Kent Saint View Post
    Best outcome ? Forster continues to have good games for Celtic and a deal is done .

Knock on is Saints use free up of wage bill / transfer fee to get 2 proven defenders in , plenty of top clubs use 30 year old proven defenders such as J Evans etc.
    Celtic aren't able to pay him anything close to what he's on here. I would've thought it unlikely that we will be prepared to do a severance deal with a guy who is playing out of his skin. Conversely, with the history (the total loss of form) I think it unlikely someone else will offer a deal that works for him financially considering what he would be giving up.

13. Default

It was said in the Scottish press that FF was prepared to take a pay cut to get a deal in his old happy home !

Quote Originally Posted by ludgershallsaint View Post
    Celtic aren't able to pay him anything close to what he's on here. I would've thought it unlikely that we will be prepared to do a severance deal with a guy who is playing out of his skin. Conversely, with the history (the total loss of form) I think it unlikely someone else will offer a deal that works for him financially considering what he would be giving up.
    Clearly, FF from his last interview is more than delighted at Celtic. Despite our keeper issue, he is unlikely to become the starting keeper at Saints, so best option is FF takes a bit of a pay cut, and we agree to sell him for around £5M - not ideal but a fair compromise by all sides. Only hope we use funds to buy a decent CM in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Clearly, FF from his last interview is more than delighted at Celtic. Despite our keeper issue, he is unlikely to become the starting keeper at Saints, so best option is FF takes a bit of a pay cut, and we agree to sell him for around £5M - not ideal but a fair compromise by all sides. Only hope we use funds to buy a decent CM in return.
    More likely we'd terminate the contract mutually for free and Celtic offer him a big signing on fee to cover his drop in wages. I can't see us getting him off the wage bill AND getting a fee.

Give them Forster and Elyounoussi in return for Kristoffer Ajer and Jeremie Frimpong?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    More likely we'd terminate the contract mutually for free and Celtic offer him a big signing on fee to cover his drop in wages. I can't see us getting him off the wage bill AND getting a fee.
    Unless some other team comes in for him as he is showing what he can do now (ok, far fetched I know)!

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GDog07 View Post
    Just seen the highlights, I know the SPL is a far cry from the EPL, but it doesn't take away from how good a game he had today.

Numerous point blank saves, another flying into top bag that he managed to tip around the post and a superb penalty save.

It's hard to say how he compares to our GK's currently, the pressures on Saints and our players are entirely different to those faced in Celtic's season.

I also watched extended highlights and I'm really pleased for Fraser, i really am. But look again at the performance and it's lucky save after lucky save, at no point does Fraser look in control. It was a terrible penalty that he saved, plus he was well off his line when it was taken, so in the Premier League with VAR it would have been retaken. It was just a series of punches and last ditch kicks that looked more at home in League 2. I won't even mention the unclaimed crosses.
    But anyway, good luck to him. Seems like a really top bloke and good to see him as a winner north of the border, and i wish him further success with Celtic . He woukd be a fool to return here, even if that was an option

Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    I also watched extended highlights and I'm really pleased for Fraser, i really am. But look again at the performance and it's lucky save after lucky save, at no point does Fraser look in control. It was a terrible penalty that he saved, plus he was well off his line when it was taken, so in the Premier League with VAR it would have been retaken. It was just a series of punches and last ditch kicks that looked more at home in League 2. I won't even mention the unclaimed crosses.
    But anyway, good luck to him. Seems like a really top bloke and good to see him as a winner north of the border, and i wish him further success with Celtic . He woukd be a fool to return here, even if that was an option
    Have you see any Europa league games? He has been at that level every time. Maybe it’s less pressure for him up there, apparently his mental state was not good at Saints. I don’t think he would favour a return.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    Itís Tommy Forecast!!
    You almost had me there.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/14113

Quote Originally Posted by Crab Lungs View Post
    And being legitimately cr4p, which is also another problem
    People on the radio saying he should get an England call up at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    People on the radio saying he should get an England call up at this rate.
    Does help that no english keeper is that great at the moment.

Forster is doing well. And the league isn't the main thing. Not long ago he'd have panicked at any shot on target. And doing it in european games and cup finals is as big or bigger pressure than he faced here.

He's a limited keeper but he's found form. And I've no doubt at all that Forster on form is better than Gunn or McCarthy on form. All three off form are pathetic.

Bet Forster would instantly regress again if he came back here.

Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    But thatís Forster as a keeper. It depends on your view but itís likely that if youíve played in goal before then you will see being in the position the ball is hit and stopping it houngbin off any old body part as a good save. Looks a bit rough but the 0 at the end of the word Rangers in the shoreline is all that matters.

Itís the type if keeping that he did well at with us, he fills the goal and blocks.

He had a dodgy moment early on that worked out fine and sometimes itís those tiny moments that make it break players. Iím glad itís going well for him, he will never look that pretty in goal but can be a good keeper on one level. If his confidence had state high and he commanded his area heíd be excellent. Hope he continued story go well up there for nothing more than his own sake. Easy to knock his style but when mom in a 1-0 cup win you deserve nothing but praise

25. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
    But that’s Forster as a keeper. It depends on your view but it’s likely that if you’ve played in goal before then you will see being in the position the ball is hit and stopping it houngbin off any old body part as a good save. Looks a bit rough but the 0 at the end of the word Rangers in the shoreline is all that matters.

It’s the type if keeping that he did well at with us, he fills the goal and blocks.

He had a dodgy moment early on that worked out fine and sometimes it’s those tiny moments that make it break players. I’m glad it’s going well for him, he will never look that pretty in goal but can be a good keeper on one level. If his confidence had state high and he commanded his area he’d be excellent. Hope he continued story go well up there for nothing more than his own sake. Easy to knock his style but when mom in a 1-0 cup win you deserve nothing but praise
    Yeah good points there, well made. I wish him all the best

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy_Top_89 View Post
    Give them Forster and Elyounoussi in return for Kristoffer Ajer and Jeremie Frimpong?
    Frimpong looks a talent. I know its hard to judge players in the Scottish League (except VVD who was just strolling around) but Jullien doing well it seems. A play we were linked with before signing Vestergaard

27. Default

Watched the highlights, he looked like old Forster again, throwing that massive frame in front of anything, he was never the most elegant keeper or the most technically accomplished I don't think, but at his best he's this huge, brave, commanding presence with very good reflexes that was able to pull off some absurd saves.

His confidence clearly went, weren't their rumours of mental health issues? He wasn't commanding his area, wasn't being brave, coming out forcefully for us, wasn't coming at the ball, and that is where the mistakes came.

Good to see him doing well, always seemed like an honest pro and a decent guy.

Hopefully we can raise some funds from him to buy needed replacements elsewhere, I don't think him coming back is good idea, looks like the change of scene has done the trick and you wouldn't want to risk him coming back and falling into the same funk again. Plus long term I think Gunn will be a much better keeper.

It all seemed to start at and after his injury. Maybe there was a lurking moment's hesitation before committing himself? Then loss of confidence and a downward spiral

Quote Originally Posted by brmbrm View Post
    It all seemed to start at and after his injury. Maybe there was a lurking moment's hesitation before committing himself? Then loss of confidence and a downward spiral
    He wasn't very good before that. He had a brilliant defence in front of him yet still struggled to save anything lower than his waist, couldn't get across to save anything that wasn't straight at him, had no command of his penalty area and his kicking is atrocious.

I've never met Forster but I've read a few accounts of people that have and from what I can gather, he's a really nice guy so I'm pleased things are working out for him back at Celtic but sadly he's never been very good for us (excluding games played against Arsenal where he always seemed to be world class for some reason).

30. Default

It seems the only winner so far has been FF himself. If he was paid £80k a week for 2 years inactivity, that's £8M we have given him.
    If he puts £5M of that on the table, and Celtic match it, I'm sure we'd take the £10M.
    I'm not trying to minimise his mental anguish previously, but he is fine now (presumably) and I don't see why we shouldn't get a return on our investment.

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    It seems the only winner so far has been FF himself. If he was paid £80k a week for 2 years inactivity, that's £8M we have given him.
    If he puts £5M of that on the table, and Celtic match it, I'm sure we'd take the £10M.
    I'm not trying to minimise his mental anguish previously, but he is fine now (presumably) and I don't see why we shouldn't get a return on our investment.
    Sorry, have I got this right... you’d like Forster to pay £5m from his own money to pay for a transfer fee to a club where he’ll be paid a lot less?

We would take £0 for Forster, if it got him off the wage bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Sorry, have I got this right... you’d like Forster to pay £5m from his own money to pay for a transfer fee to a club where he’ll be paid a lot less?

We would take £0 for Forster, if it got him off the wage bill.
    I think we'd want a fee for him now.

Quote Originally Posted by brmbrm View Post
    All of the goalkeepers coached by Dave Watson got worse, not just Forster. Now that Watson has been replaced, hopefully things will improve. Unfortunately though, he is now coaching our outfield players.

34. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    Yeah, I saw a report that we had named the price for Forster as £20M. So we need to find a compromise agreement. Someone mentioned getting Celtic players in exchange, which may be a good option.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Yeah, I saw a report that we had named the price for Forster as £20M. So we need to find a compromise agreement. Someone mentioned getting Celtic players in exchange, which may be a good option.
    Ha Ha ..... in our dreams. Scottish Football is not awash with momey. Even Celtic have only paid 2 fees above 6 million ever, 9m for Edouard and 7m this summer for Jullien.

Nothing else above 6 million ......... we'd be lucky to get 8 million for a Forster and Elyounoussi package deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    No doubt. We won’t be getting it though.