Fraser Forster

spyinthesky

What a fall from grace.

One moment a top rated, English International with a decent value in the transfer market.

Now not even to find a place on the bench as third pick keeper, presumably as this would incur additional payments to the player.

Still whilst all players want to play, I guess receiving a very decent basic weekly wedge is a reasonable compensation.

I would imagine his head isn't in a good place. Speculation, of course, but he doesn't seem the mercenary type to me, where money is everything.

I could be totally wrong, obviously. I don't know the bloke, or his situation. He did become a liability, and IMO he does need to get a move even if only on loan. Enough years left to kick start his career again, and he'll do a club a good turn in the future if he knuckles down.

Sad situation really, though hard to sympathise too much with someone earning 50k+ a week for keeping fit, while most of us scrimp by!

Why has this been raised this morning? We have discussed this previously. He was made available for loan or purchase in the summer - there were no takers. As such, he stays on until there are any.

We don't know what has happened with him, and it's a shame. No point kicking a man when he is down. Or do you go round kicking the homeless? ;)

• 3 months later...
attachment.php?attachmentid=2773&d=1546679329

Interesting rumour popped up on one of the Fb sites this morning...

Saint Lard has been saying the same thing on another thread for the last week or so. This guy could be repeating what he saw here (or maybe lard got it from this guy). Shame if true I wouldn't wish mental health issues on anyone.

The breakdown story would make sense. You don't become a poor keeper overnight and find yourself going from 1st to 3rd choice. The guy kept 10 clean sheets in a row when he came back from injury. Yes he had a good defence in front of him, but I do feel that some of the criticism aimed at him has been a bit uncalled for.

Looking good in training does not make you good in games.

The guy has never had any command of his area, something Alex MC does very well, coming out for crosses etc...

Gunn have not seen him collect any crosses as of yet but is very quick off his area something Forster never did either.

One thing Frazer was good at was shot stopping, that was at the time one of his qualities. However since he's had an injury, has never been able to stop any low shots.

His goalkeeping as a whole also became very nervy.

Depression or not, none of these qualities I have mentionned above will suddenly appear in his game out of the blue.

The guy is a sub standard goalkeeper who was above average before his injury.

Game has evolved over the last few years and unfortunatly he posesses none of the qualities required to be a good top flight keeper.

Fraser always seemed like a decent guy from interviews etc.

The thing about the solid defence and DMs helping him during our success if true. But it also gave him confidence so he could do the job when called upon. Once that defensive quality was gone, his confidence went too.

Forster on top form is an ok premier league keeper. He'd never be one of the best, he's simply too slow moving his feet around the goal. That's always been his main issue. But Forster without confidence is awful.

That said, I think people have gone over the top with how bad they think he is, and over the top with how good they think McCarthy is. If we take both their high points for Saints, then Forster is the better keeper for me.

I can see him supporting and helping Gunn being a good option to be honest. Hopefully the club are supporting him through his problems and he can come back strong with the backing of the crowd. We can't really afford 3 expensive keepers when we're desperate to improve other areas of the squad.

Letting Forster back in and around the first team is suicidal.

Looking good in training does not make you good in games.

The guy has never had any command of his area, something Alex MC does very well, coming out for crosses etc...

Gunn have not seen him collect any crosses as of yet but is very quick off his area something Forster never did either.

One thing Frazer was good at was shot stopping, that was at the time one of his qualities. However since he's had an injury, has never been able to stop any low shots.

His goalkeeping as a whole also became very nervy.

Depression or not, none of these qualities I have mentionned above will suddenly appear in his game out of the blue.

The guy is a sub standard goalkeeper who was above average before his injury.

Game has evolved over the last few years and unfortunatly he posesses none of the qualities required to be a good top flight keeper.

How does a manager decide who to pick for any position then?

If this is true, it shouldn't have been shared publicly. Stuff like that should be up to Fraser and Fraser alone to talk about.

Does sound like it's true, especially as the club went out and spent big on Gunn.

Fraser Forster in line for Southampton recall after over a year out in the cold:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fraser-forster-line-southampton-recall-13826334

A bit random. Would make more sense if we had two keepers that were struggling, but we're pretty strong in that department. Maybe the club think the only way we can get anyone else to buy him, is to put him in the shop window.

Mental illness is a horrendous thing, and with the precipitous drop from being lauded as a Premier League Keeper and England International, to not even being wanted on loan by Championship teams could be catastrophic for ones mental wellbeing. With male suicide being the biggest killer of men under 50, it's something that needs far more recognition, funding and support, especially in a game where people with mental illness could be looked at and criticised as weak.

Best of luck Fraser, and fingers crossed you're getting better.

Derby replay game would make sense if he wants to have a look at fraser.

Not sure if scrutiny on live national television is a good idea if the poor bloke is recovering from sort of 'breakdown' as speculated.

But if we're not fussed whether we progress or not then it makes sense to a point.

Mental illness is a horrendous thing, and with the precipitous drop from being lauded as a Premier League Keeper and England International, to not even being wanted on loan by Championship teams could be catastrophic for ones mental wellbeing. With male suicide being the biggest killer of men under 50, it's something that needs far more recognition, funding and support, especially in a game where people with mental illness could be looked at and criticised as weak.

Best of luck Fraser, and fingers crossed you're getting better.

On all levels a very good post. It doesn't matter who or why this or any illness effects us as human beings and it disappoints me that the moderators chose to delete my message in protest of the ignorance of some above who make reference to suicide. Seriously.

Cut the man some slack. His performances were dire before he was dropped. Supporters were in despair. McCarthy coming in saved our bacon but he hasn't over impressed lately.

Personally I'd have to see it to believe it but if Ralph selects him he should be ok. I'd still take Gunn as the best on what I've seen of him.

Steve Bruce wants him at Sheff Wed apparently. Can't see it since they have Westwood who's surely a solid #1 at that level, plus didn't they have a transfer embargo put on them not long ago? I don't even believe this myself but reporting it on the off chance it does happen so I can say "I told you so" and forever be looked at as ITK.

Steve Bruce wants him at Sheff Wed apparently. Can't see it since they have Westwood who's surely a solid #1 at that level, plus didn't they have a transfer embargo put on them not long ago? I don't even believe this myself but reporting it on the off chance it does happen so I can say "I told you so" and forever be looked at as ITK.

You’ve literally just answered why the rumour is fake news, so why even bother posting?

This would be the best move for him. Leeds is a great club to join right now.

@JimProudfoot: I understand that Leeds’ hunt for an experienced goalkeeper will see them sign Fraser Forster from Southampton. #lufc #saintsfc

Proudfoot has deleted his tweet so f*ck knows what all that was about.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fraser Forster