Fraser Forster

spyinthesky

You’ve got to come and try and catch it before you can drop it....I seem to

remember he like the comfort of standing on his white line!

For me even when he was good for us, he had 2 massive weaknesses that are key in the premier league. His Kicking and not coming out to claim crosses.

Think it was confirmed by ITKs that he had refused to move even on loan on a few occasions over the last 2 transfer windows...

It is not anyway the first time that the club have tried to move him on.

He's played one game in the last 18 months whilst being the highest paid player at the club.

Based on your supposition then

For me even when he was good for us, he had 2 massive weaknesses that are key in the premier league. His Kicking and not coming out to claim crosses.

He also had the advantage of playing behind one of the best centre back partnerships in the league in Fonte + Alderweirld/Van Dijk. If you ,look at our stats of shots per goals conceded in that period it was quite bad.

Strange keeper. Had the odd brilliant game but as you point out for someone so big his command of the area was, to be blunt, awful. He was also suspect to shots low down which was obviously picked up on by the opposition. He always seemed to lack a bit of belief in himself, there is obviously a good player in there but for whatever reason has totally lost his way. The latest in a long line of British keepers to do well for a short time then a spectacular fall from grace. Carson, Kirkland, Robinson, Foster, green, Gordon, Hart, I’m sure there are more.

Fantastic save...but his mistake that brought it about.

[video=youtube;cSHFz-T6Q0A]

Sums him up quite well, decent keeper in there but always a mistake not far away, vulnerable getting down, beaten too often at his near post and at 6'6" should be commanding his area more effectively.

In all our interests he does well up there, could be the perfect league and situation to get his career back on track.

• 3 weeks later...
Another clean sheet today away at Hamilton.

(They only had 1 shot on target though).

Perfect loan for him: part of a winning team; even if he makes a mistake or two it probably won't cost them the win.

He can learn to play the game again.

• 1 month later...
Saints turned down a £40 million offer for Forster from Man United.

https://readsouthampton.com/2019/11/11/saints-handed-forster-new-deal-in-2016-to-prevent-man-utd-move/

Absolutely not true...and not what the article says....original article below...

Forster’s new deal at Southampton was to ward off Manchester United

Southampton’s miserable season continued with a home defeat by Everton on Saturday and how they must wish the decision to let Fraser Forster join Celtic on loan could be reversed.

Having fallen out of form and favour over the previous two years, Forster moved to the Scottish champions last summer in a season-long deal that looked reasonably sensible for all parties. But as Southampton find themselves on course for relegation, the goalkeeper’s performance level has soared to help Celtic reach the top of the league and the Europa League knockout phase.

The 31-year-old’s upturn in form has raised the prospect of an England recall, which would cap an incredible resurgence for a player who was dropped by Southampton in December 2017, slipped to third-choice stopper at St Mary’s, and has represented the club only once since.

It was a slump that came after he signed a lucrative new five-year deal in May 2016 and, 14 months later, was given an extra year and a more attractive structure of payments to reflect his status. That is why recent analysis of Southampton’s struggles has often identified Forster as a key symptom of the problems; a highly-paid member of the squad offering scant value for money.

However, one well-placed source rejects such a suggestion, revealing to The Athletic that Southampton’s decision to reward Forster was partly made to prevent him from joining Manchester United.

“When Fraser got his new contract, he was on the verge of taking over from Joe Hart as England’s No 1,” says the source, referring to Forster’s performances in 2015-16.

“Manchester United were sniffing because they thought David De Gea was going to Real Madrid and at that time, Fraser was probably the most valuable goalkeeper in England. If you think you’re going to sell him to Man Utd and want probably £40 million for him, he’s not going to sit there and say, ‘I’ll wait another year but I’ll wait on the wages I’m on’.

“So it was a calculated decision to raise the player’s value. He should have been Southampton’s No 1 but a number of managers lost faith in him, yet he’s having a great time at Celtic now and there’s even talk about him getting back in the picture with England.”

Still under contract until the summer of 2022, Forster could well return from Celtic Park to resume his career at Southampton. Saints’ fear will be that by then, it could be too late.

Saints turned down a £40 million offer for Forster from Man United.

https://readsouthampton.com/2019/11/11/saints-handed-forster-new-deal-in-2016-to-prevent-man-utd-move/

Absolute bollux, and besides even if it was true, his form for us was abysmal, he wasn't dropped soon enough. I'm not getting into the Scottish league argument again, it's been done to death.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Just made a great save apparently. Talking in the SSN studio about him having an England recall..........

he's crap. he's let in a goal almost every 2 shots since he's been up there and that lazio game he was crap, yet was talked about as amazing. utter sh1te.

What’s your problem sunshine? We get you are obsessed with slagging him off weirdly far more than any normal slagging we all do.

Sunshine this sunshine that, god do you ever change your tune?

And I suppose everyone that comes in your way deserves a bashing ?

Weirdo

he's crap. he's let in a goal almost every 2 shots since he's been up there and that lazio game he was crap, yet was talked about as amazing. utter sh1te.

Your blind hatred of Forster is beyond comical. He has done superbly up there - sometimes a change in scenery is required. All our GKs are poor - there has to be a link between the coaching and their capabilities.

Well done to big Fraser, clearly enjoying his time at Celtic and it shows. I wouldnt take him back tho, his time here has ran its course and our club/goalkeeping coaches would find a way to wreck his confidence again. Hopefully he takes a pay cut to stay at Celtic and we get a fee

Your blind hatred of Forster is beyond comical. He has done superbly up there - sometimes a change in scenery is required. All our GKs are poor - there has to be a link between the coaching and their capabilities.

errrrrrrrrrrr....... ok, been watching much of him then and his 'superb' form? I've watched a few games and he's been anything but 'superb' - average at best. Yet soon as he reels out one of his bi-annual competent games everyone w4nks themselves into a frenzy.

Most people on here make these radical assumptions that someone is good/playing well without even seeing them play. If they didn't, they'd be in the very, very small minority who realised early on that certain players are utter toilet. And for good measure, I think I'll reel a few of them off here; Forster, Gunn, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Hojberg etc.

Those same people can't tell the difference between bad form and a bad player.

Seriously, this place.

errrrrrrrrrrr....... ok, been watching much of him then and his 'superb' form? I've watched a few games and he's been anything but 'superb' - average at best. Yet soon as he reels out one of his bi-annual competent games everyone w4nks themselves into a frenzy.

Most people on here make these radical assumptions that someone is good/playing well without even seeing them play. If they didn't, they'd be in the very, very small minority who realised early on that certain players are utter toilet. And for good measure, I think I'll reel a few of them off here; Forster, Gunn, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Hojberg etc.

Those same people can't tell the difference between bad form and a bad player.

Seriously, this place.

Sheesh mate you need to get a grip. Looking on the Celtic thread they are all saying he’s been brilliant, and not just today either. I presume the people posting there are watching him for more that “a few games”???

https://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/fraser-forster-official-the-best-goalie-in-the-wor-t136110-s840.html

Credit where it's due. He is doing well at Celtic. Against Lazio and today he looked useful on TV.

Glad his luck has changed , that's football.

I don't think it's his luck that has changed, more the level of teams that he now plays against.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

I'm happy he's doing well up there. Hopefully they buy him. His wages are ****ing ridiculous because Les gave him a new contract less than a year after he'd just signed a new contract. We need him off the books and let's be honest, he really isn't that good!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fraser Forster