Does the average amateur poster on here get things any more right ot wrong than the

Nordic Saint

I think if you took an average of the managers and players posters on here think we should have signed over the last two years and compared it to who the 'professionals' at our club actually signed, we'd come out ahead of them.

Since Paul Mitchell left, our recruitment all seems to be just smoke and mirrors, Vestergaard 'a big bloke' at centre half who isn't very good at football, being a classic example. Would any of us have chosen him? I think not. We all knew he was too slow. It was no secret.

I think if you took an average of the managers and players posters on here think we should have signed over the last two years and compared it to who the 'professionals' at our club actually signed, we'd come out ahead of them.

The trouble is we are not comparing apples with apples. WE can tout anyone we want, for any price, and don't have to include any add ons at all, or consider wages. Signing players in the real world isn't jst about money, it includes many things like if the player wants to join us, who is already here, what his future plans are, the manger, the part of the country we are in, family pressures.

Don't forget, we have nothing to loose going on about who we want, the club this is their livelihood.

This reminds me of the time when I heard some lads moan about Guly outside the stadium before a game, claiming that they 'had a better first touch'. Not sure how many Serie B, or Championship games these lads had played, but I reckon it was zero. I thought it was ironic that they were essentially paying to see Guly play, whilst claiming they were better players!

You're living in an absolute fantasy land to think that anyone on here could have done a better job on recruitment. Just look at those jokers down the road when they pretty much had fans on board, they were clueless. Since they've shed them, they've improved their recruitment of players and managers massively.

The trouble is we are not comparing apples with apples. WE can tout anyone we want, for any price, and don't have to include any add ons at all, or consider wages. Signing players in the real world isn't jst about money, it includes many things like if the player wants to join us, who is already here, what his future plans are, the manger, the part of the country we are in, family pressures.

Don't forget, we have nothing to loose going on about who we want, the club this is their livelihood.

A lot of people on here do seem to think signing a player or manager is simply a case of saying "That's who we should get why hasn't the club done it yet?" as if every player and manger out there is just chomping at the bit to a Saint.

Now there are probably plenty of players and managers who would happily sign for saints (just about everyone in league 1 and 2) but they aren't the sort that the fans want to sign.

Edited by doddisalegend

I would say that the average poster is overwhelmingly a clueless dinlow with no idea what they are talking about. Some outstanding examples of this include

Calum Chambers being described as the new Bobby Moore

Jake Sinclair, last seen playing at Mangotsfield United, our next great academy hope

Writing off Pele after seeing him play in his first preseason friendly after signing

Being obsessed with a member of the back off team, mentioning his name on virtually ever post despite him leaving 4 years ago

Is a "back off team" one that desperately tries to not win when 1 goal up? I can think of one that is based in the Southampton area.

I for one is not a dinlow, as I get top marks on Playbuzz quizzes. Lastly, is Turkish an average poster?. I vote yes!

Is a "back off team" one that desperately tries to not win when 1 goal up? I can think of one that is based in the Southampton area.

I for one is not a dinlow, as I get top marks on Playbuzz quizzes. Lastly, is Turkish an average poster?. I vote yes!

Sorry Larry but you are the epitome the dinlow.... ;)

We were all right that Carrillo would be sh*t

i was when i saw his opening 12 mins or so against Watford in the cup ,i made a post about how i thought he was ponderous and a fat younger Charlie austin and got slatted for it so,yes were as good a judge as those that make the huge money coooccckk ups decisions .

"I for one is not a dinlow." Maybe not, but your command of the English language leaves something to be desired Larry (unless you typed that deliberately for a laugh of course).

So then, recruitment. An easy stick to beat any club with when results aren't going well. Alas it is not a perfect science. United are probably wondering why they bought Sanchez and resigned Pogba at this very moment. Vestergaard and Hoedt have both played for their countries so are clearly not mugs. Whether they are cut out for the rigours of the Premiership, only time will tell as some players take longer than other to settle down in this league. Should we employ the odd "amateur poster" from here to recruit players? Of course not. Would you go an seek medical advice or mental health advice from an internet jockey? Not if you are sensible. Trying to recruit quality on a budget is not easy (recruiting with a massive budget might give you more hits than misses but is still a minefield). Not only do you have to identify targets, but the club has to be willing to sell and the player willing to move to us. It came to light recently (despite the moans and groans on here that the club weren't doing anything to sign a decent winger) that we tried to signed Pepe from Lyon in the summer. He didn't want to join us (sadly as he looks like a quality player who would do well in the Prem). Mason Mount chose Derby over us apparently (down to the fact that he is a Skate). You start at the top of your list and work your way down. The further down the list you go the bigger the possible risk you take that they won't be as good. It doesnt end there. Once you have done your job and brought in players, they are then in the hands of the manager and coaching staff who may, or may not get the best out of the squad. We all know about the qualities that Gabbi brings to the team but only Puel seemed to get the best out of him, for example. Running a football club and managing the fans expectations is a totally thankless task for most. Steve Bruce did a good job at Villa last season but is out on his arse in early October this season. They may employ someone who will do better, but it isnt nailed on. We are probably suffering a backlash from a period when we were losing top quality players but still performing well in the league. It was never going to last forever and we dont have the monopoly on finding diamonds in the rough or producing gems from the academy. If you want to slag off the club's recruitment policy that is your prerogative, but lets not pretend that people who drive buses in the day, sort out insurance claims or sell houses are going to be better at recruitment than those who do the job professionally. If, they were, they wouldn't be driving buses, sorting out insurance claims or selling houses would they? The OP seems to suggest that we are not buying quality because we are not targeting quality. Surprisingly not every rising star is desperate to play for SFC.

I have lost interest and passion for premier league football and Southampton I used to be one of these buying the new kit every season. Attending games now I just can see how the club is ran and just have lost interest. The best chance we had of pressing on was when we had mane and Pelle but we blew it. Now we are just being ran as a club that is treading water no ambition......

I have lost interest and passion for premier league football and Southampton I used to be one of these buying the new kit every season. Attending games now I just can see how the club is ran and just have lost interest. The best chance we had of pressing on was when we had mane and Pelle but we blew it. Now we are just being ran as a club that is treading water no ambition......

Did you wear the full kit to games along with your boots ;)

I'm not interested in a debate about whether the fans or the management are more right. However, a point I would like to make especially about our current defenders. Soares is a great defender as long as nobody puts the ball over head height. I've lost count of the goals conceded at the right hand post with players pulling off onto Soares. With set pieces producing so many goals buying little players for the back four is stupidity.

We then buy tall central defenders including a near 6-7" centre back. OK so far but then we see the tallest man in the Premier amongst others outjumped, in fact not getting off the ground. My feeling is that the zonal marking of space and grappling with opponents isn't working because some opponents attack the cross. Personally I would like to see our best headers attack the cross at the front, middle and back post whilst other players man mark or zonal defend and grapple etc. I think we aren't seeing the best of our players because they are uncomfortable just zonal defending which isn't working.

It's all very well picking players but we need to get the optimum out of their strengths which I don't think we do.

I would say that the average poster is overwhelmingly a clueless dinlow with no idea what they are talking about. Some outstanding examples of this include

Calum Chambers being described as the new Bobby Moore

Jake Sinclair, last seen playing at Mangotsfield United, our next great academy hope

Writing off Pele after seeing him play in his first preseason friendly after signing

Being obsessed with a member of the back off team, mentioning his name on virtually ever post despite him leaving 4 years ago

To be fair, Pele was pretty poor. I’m sure we were all surprised when West Brom gave us a cool one million pounds for him.

Poor Turkish's obsession with me is bizarre because I'm really nothing special. He's followed me around on football messageboards like a pet dog for nearly ten years. But, with his boasting about what designer labels he has in his wardrobe and how he looks in the gym, I can't help thinking he'd be better off posting on Mumsnet.

Anyway, getting back on track, what exactly makes Ross Wilson any more qualified than the average fan on here to be our head of recruitment? Was it that he never played football, had a degree in Social Sciences from Strathclyde University or the fact that Les Reed had lunch with him and took a shine to him? If Les Reed hadn't liked him, would he have got away with wasting 100 million pounds on dud players no other club wants and still kept his job? In any other job that would be considered an awful lot of money to waste. He's certainly a very lucky boy that Old Les has his ass covered.

Yep,just a stale ,overpriced,product. The Premier league and unfortunately the one and only club I have ever supported . Real sad.

Anyway, getting back on track, what exactly makes Ross Wilson any more qualified than the average fan on here to be our head of recruitment? Was it that he never played football, had a degree in Social Sciences from Strathclyde University or the fact that Les Reed had lunch with him and took a shine to him? If Les Reed hadn't liked him, would he have got away with wasting 100 million pounds on dud players no other club wants and still kept his job? In any other job that would be considered an awful lot of money to waste. He's certainly a very lucky boy that Old Les has his ass covered.

I think that you will be utterly shocked to find that Les Reed is/was the one wasting £100 m, not Ross Wilson. Reed IS in charge. This present pathetic squad is down to Reed.

Our club is possibly the only one in history, where we had 2 managers in two summers and who were not involved in any summer transfer dealings before they were allowed in. Again, Reed picking the squad twice.

What a disaster that jumped up 4-eyed squirt has been in the last two years. I do hear he speaks highly of me though.

I think that you will be utterly shocked to find that Les Reed is/was the one wasting £100 m, not Ross Wilson. Reed IS in charge. This present pathetic squad is down to Reed.

Our club is possibly the only one in history, where we had 2 managers in two summers and who were not involved in any summer transfer dealings before they were allowed in. Again, Reed picking the squad twice.

What a disaster that jumped up 4-eyed squirt has been in the last two years. I do hear he speaks highly of me though.

Oh yes, because Sofiane Boufal and Jeremy Pied were nothing to do with Claude Puel were they... :rolleyes: and although Pellegrino never got 'his' pick in the summer, he more than made up for that with a monumental waste in the January window...