Saints 0-3 Chelsea - Match + Reaction

Hamilton Saint

Actually felt a bit sorry for Hughes today.

Clearly we were sitting deep and it wasn't pretty but at the time Ings missed an open goal from 2 yards out - fashioned by some excellent play - it was 0-0 and Chelsea hadn't had a decent sight of goal.

The problem is that we just don't have the character or bottle to deal with adversity. When your captain is Ryan Bertrand you know you're in trouble. He's a cracking left back but he's not a leader.

The team is almost the same as a year ago when it slipped into a relegation fight. The only things that have changed are:-

1. Goal keeper dropped.

2. A striker, Ings brought in on loan.

3. £60m spent on players that did not start yesterday.

4. The most creative player, Tadic was sold.

5. The manager was changed.

The people who select the players to buy, were left in place although they clearly have a poor record in selecting talent for more than 2 years.

Since the Club keeps failing in numerous areas its fall into relegation is highly likely, Gao apparently borrowed the £200m and one wonders what will happen to him if that borrowing is for something that becomes a worthless asset? The providor of the loan may intervene if Gao does not.

This, and Cabrone’s post above it. Gao takeover just odd and no benefit to SFC, only to KL. Club has no direction from top to bottom, with the appalling players on huge wages, not least Fraser, we will be in administration within two years of relegation even with a reduction clause. Fans have been totally disenfranchised. Only two things would re-engage me:

- Gao selling - but can’t see it happening for a decade

- Phoenix club set up as rival or replacement, would definitely drive up from Devon to support that

the biggest disappointment to me is that Kat sold us down the river just to boost her already huge bank balance then to come out with utter ******** about Gao taking us to the next level.

He’s taking us somewhere alright but it ain’t upwards.

Actually felt a bit sorry for Hughes today.

Clearly we were sitting deep and it wasn't pretty but at the time Ings missed an open goal from 2 yards out - fashioned by some excellent play - it was 0-0 and Chelsea hadn't had a decent sight of goal.

The problem is that we just don't have the character or bottle to deal with adversity. When your captain is Ryan Bertrand you know you're in trouble. He's a cracking left back but he's not a leader.

He's not even a cracking left back any more ... he's been going through the motions for th past 2-3 years now.

Like we were down last year? We're 8 games in FFS, get a grip, things can change. Honestly, the attitude among so many people here is embarrassing.

How the hell did Ings miss at 0-0? My gran would have scored that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are sh*te and we know we are...

In over 45 years I’ve never left a game early. Today I actually left after the third goal. Just couldn’t watch us capitulate yet again. They couldn’t even hold on for 0-2

So you missed a whole 30 seconds then....!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

1.64 xG is that our record?

Crap gate today as well. Didn’t feel 5000 off capacity

Didn't look it either. I never saw anything like 5000 empty seats, in fact I'd be surprised if there were 500.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Par. We won't be the last team to get spanked by Chelsea. Fulham have joined Huddersfield and Cardiff as whipping boys, can't see us finishing below any of those three. A point at Bournemouth and a win at home to Newcastle is definitely achievable, then we would be mid-table. The next few games will make or break Hughes. Disappointed to see the chronically chronic Hoedt in the team again, but losing 0-3 at home to Chelsea does not justify some of the hysteria on here.

I don't really understand how this is Gao's fault. As many people have said, Hughes did okay with his tactics and and selection.

The issue as I see it is purely with player recruitment and it looks like, from the outside anyway, Gao made money available for this season. The people deciding which players to buy are the issue. I think most of our players are playing as well as they can...they just aren't good enough.

Not managers fault. We have had three recently and they cannot make silk purses out of sow's ears. We have to accept we have a bunch of bang average players so questions most be asked about the recruitment. Only one of our new signings playing today which says it all. We appeared frightened of Chelsea from the off and look a relegation team without doubt.

1: I don't really understand how this is Gao's fault.

2: Gao made money available for this season.

1: Not directly his fault, however he's happy to leave things as they are so complicit in it all and its continuation (the real blame lies with KL, the rot set in three or so years ago, she lost interest and just wanted to cash out).

2: Come on, that's just the VVD money, he personally made no new money available.

1: Not directly his fault, however he's happy to leave things as they are so complicit in it all and its continuation (the real blame lies with KL, the rot set in three or so years ago, she lost interest and just wanted to cash out).

2: Come on, that's just the VVD money, he personally made no new money available.

And what money do you want Geo to put into the club when he is not allowed by FFP rules?

Upgrade academy? we have one of the best in England and Europe, no need to invest in it further, Ground? I guess we could do with a bigger ground, but with half the fan base unhappy and threatening to boycott the club cause they are not winning ( God I hate glory supporters ) a bigger stadium is pointless. Training facilities? we already have top facilities.

What else can he possibly do that FFP rules will allow him? nothing. All clubs have to build the same way, easier for some clubs than others as they have bigger incomes / fan basses / stadiums and sponsorship's.

Stop moaning about every thing and do what supporters are meant to do and support.

I remember how proud ppl was just for a youth player to be put on the pitch, good or bad, none cared as it was " ONE OF ARE OWN "

Now all we get is, Sell him he is ****, sell him he is also ****, ohh look a new player we brought who is ****. lets sell the youth player who is more likely to try his best and give his best for the club, Na sell him to he is ****...….. lets keep the money grabbing players who have done nothing but cause problems in the dressing room instead.

Most of you want to keep your cake and eat it, sound lie a bunch of spoilt kids.

I doubt we got the VVD money in one payment...Liverpool probably paying in instalments.....In any case you might be right. The fact is though I don't think money is the issue. All of our record signings have been complete duffers. Our success 3 or 4 years ago wasn't down to spending pots of money but getting good players at a good price.....should still be possible.

I have a hard time blaming KL too. As far as I understand it she has zero interest in football...why should she? This was her Dad's passion project, not hers. I'd have a hard time giving a sh1t about a team from a town I couldn't care less about playing a sport I couldn't care less about.

And what money do you want Geo to put into the club when he is not allowed by FFP rules?

Upgrade academy? we have one of the best in England and Europe, no need to invest in it further, Ground? I guess we could do with a bigger ground, but with half the fan base unhappy and threatening to boycott the club cause they are not winning ( God I hate glory supporters ) a bigger stadium is pointless. Training facilities? we already have top facilities.

What else can he possibly do that FFP rules will allow him? nothing. All clubs have to build the same way, easier for some clubs than others as they have bigger incomes / fan basses / stadiums and sponsorship's.

Regarding FFP. "Only a club’s outgoings in transfers, employee benefits (including wages), amortisation of transfers, finance costs and dividends will be counted over income from gate receipts, TV revenue, advertising, merchandising, disposal of tangible fixed assets, finance, sales of players and prize money. Any money spent on infrastructure, training facilities or youth development will not be included."

In March 2018 the financial results up to June 2017 reported a £40m profit after all the FFP costs that have to be included and the FFP costs that can be ignored. We had more than £50m headroom available to spend in that period and chose not to. Our run rate on wages is likely to be showing a similar profit for the following 12 months, possibly more with the VVD profits. We have been operating well below FFP rules, the issue therefore is how much is Gao taking out or piling up in the cash reserves.

Upgrade academy? we have one of the best in England and Europe, no need to invest in it further,

Now factually incorrect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upgrade academy? we have one of the best in England and Europe, no need to invest in it further,

Now factually incorrect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The facilities we have are up with the best in the world, if we don't get a youth player starting / coming on as a sub, that is not the club facilities, that's the manager not picking them.

Well said.

There are many people on this forum who don't seem to understand what the word "support" means. At times on here it gets embarrassing.

I agree. I have offered a view on here before that there are three categories:

- supporters, who get on the road to watch the team (fully accepting some cant afford to)

- followers, who don’t but want the best for the team

- customers, who believe its the same as any other transaction. They will walk away of the product doesn’t meet their needs and have no more affiliation it seems than one washing powered brand versus another one.

The Premier League, which in many ways is fab, has encouraged a growth in the latter. And of course online there is the mixture of trolls and closet Pompey fans on here for a wind up which taker up disproportionate air time

Par. We won't be the last team to get spanked by Chelsea. Fulham have joined Huddersfield and Cardiff as whipping boys, can't see us finishing below any of those three. A point at Bournemouth and a win at home to Newcastle is definitely achievable, then we would be mid-table. The next few games will make or break Hughes. Disappointed to see the chronically chronic Hoedt in the team again, but losing 0-3 at home to Chelsea does not justify some of the hysteria on here.

This. We got a footballing lesson from a very good team, no disgrace in that. All over the pitch, their players are better than ours, simple as - they can afford that quality we cant. I didn't see any lack of effort from any of our players, we just weren't as good as them - simple. Bizarrely, if we had taken our chances (Ings, Bertie, Ings) the score would've gone 1 - 0, 1 - 1, 2 - 1, 2 - 2, 3 - 2, 3 - 3, but as I said - they had quality that we just didn't.

For the warriors on here, from where I was sat - I didn't see one single fan having a go at anybody on the board - not one. I was going to severely berate the 30 odd thousand inside SMS but thought better of it. On the positive side though, I am happy to report though that there was some mild booing at the end of the match though.

As Kingsbridge says - the next two are vital - anything less than 4 points (or 6 if we get 3 at Bournemouth) is not good enough in my opinion.

Onward and upwards - support the Saints.

Correct, losing to Chelsea does not mean we will be in a reiligation fight, just like beating Crystal Palace did not mean we would be challaging for a top 6 spot.

However only geting 5 points from Burnley home, Everton away, Leicester home, Crystal Palace away, Brighton home, Liverpool away, Wolves away and Chelsea home is disapionting.

Regarding FFP. "Only a club’s outgoings in transfers, employee benefits (including wages), amortisation of transfers, finance costs and dividends will be counted over income from gate receipts, TV revenue, advertising, merchandising, disposal of tangible fixed assets, finance, sales of players and prize money. Any money spent on infrastructure, training facilities or youth development will not be included."

In March 2018 the financial results up to June 2017 reported a £40m profit after all the FFP costs that have to be included and the FFP costs that can be ignored. We had more than £50m headroom available to spend in that period and chose not to. Our run rate on wages is likely to be showing a similar profit for the following 12 months, possibly more with the VVD profits. We have been operating well below FFP rules, the issue therefore is how much is Gao taking out or piling up in the cash reserves.

How on earth on Bompey getting away with it I wonder?

How on earth on Bompey getting away with it I wonder?

because they have such megastars like

Dan gosling, David Brooks, Junior Stanislas, Charlie Daniels, Steeve Cook, Simon Francis, Ryan Fraser, Andrew Surman and Lewis Cook

I reckon the transfer fees of that lot could buy you a Guido Carillo. Probably with some change, maybe enough to buy you an Alex McCarthy (for the fees we paid)

Edit, reckon that lot would push the fee for Clasie (or Armstrong) pretty close.

Their recruitment is largely brilliant. Ours is..........

Edited by Batman

Can anyopne who saw the match on TV give me a hand?

From my seat in the Kingsland Hoedt's challenge on Giroud looked like a perfectly timed and wholly legal tackle. It was with some surprise I read the comments on this thread saying it was a penalty.

Bearing this in mind ... in the second-half, the referee started dishing out yellow cards against Saints players. Whilst a couple were justified in that they deliberately slowed a Chelsea attack, a couple appeared to be not only harsh yellow cards, but barely warranting a free-kick - Lamina on Barkely for example.

Yet when a Chelsea player fouled one of ours (Rudiger over on the Itchen side of the pitch - I didn't spot which Saints player was fouled) there was no hint of a card at all.

Clearly I look at things as a Saints fan and no doubt see what I want to see, but can anyone who saw the game on TV - and therefore had the advantage of replays - put me straight. Apart from Bertrand's, were all of our yellow cards justified?

From my seat in the Kingsland Hoedt's challenge on Giroud looked like a perfectly timed and wholly legal tackle. It was with some surprise I read the comments on this thread saying it was a penalty.

Bearing this in mind ... in the second-half, the referee started dishing out yellow cards against Saints players. Whilst a couple were justified in that they deliberately slowed a Chelsea attack, a couple appeared to be not only harsh yellow cards, but barely warranting a free-kick - Lamina on Barkely for example.

Yet when a Chelsea player fouled one of ours (Rudiger over on the Itchen side of the pitch - I didn't spot which Saints player was fouled) there was no hint of a card at all.

Clearly I look at things as a Saints fan and no doubt see what I want to see, but can anyone who saw the game on TV - and therefore had the advantage of replays - put me straight. Apart from Bertrand's, were all of our yellow cards justified?

I watched MOTD last night - at normal speed Hoedt's tackle looked good. On slo mo replay Hoedt didn't touch the ball, just took Giroud's back foot out as he slid through him. So, retrospectively, with the benefits of replays, it should have been a penalty. They didn't show all of the yellow cards on the highlights - like Bertrand's for moving the ball etc.

because they have such megastars like

Dan gosling, David Brooks, Junior Stanislas, Charlie Daniels, Steeve Cook, Simon Francis, Ryan Fraser, Andrew Surman and Lewis Cook

I reckon the transfer fees of that lot could buy you a Guido Carillo. Probably with some change, maybe enough to buy you an Alex McCarthy (for the fees we paid)

Edit, reckon that lot would push the fee for Clasie (or Armstrong) pretty close.

Their recruitment is largely brilliant. Ours is..........

Not neccesarily true. Brooks cost £13m, Cook was 10m, Ake was £18m. They signed Rico for 10m (new left back) and Lerma for £26m.

They have invested a fair bit in that team, but their recuritment is undoubtbly better. And I think the most important thing is that they have the likes of Francis, Cook, Daniels etc to lead the group and keep everyone levelled.

They have a core of loyal players who have gone up the leagues with them and they have supplimented it well with good young talent. It's similar to what we did in many ways. It will all come crashing down for them sooner rather than later though, as per the natrual course of things.

You only had to look at Hoedt's reaction to know it was a pen!

You only had to look at Hoedt's reaction to know it was a pen!

They don`t give pens because of player reaction do they?

However it used to happen in days gone by because of the reaction of the big team players who think

they should be given a pen because they were Man utd, remember the mass surrounding of ref but Keane, Neville, Giggs and co...

Thankfully those days are mostly gone.

A penalty is only a penalty if the referee gives it and it gets to us all from time to time when they are wrong about our club

Not neccesarily true. Brooks cost £13m, Cook was 10m, Ake was £18m. They signed Rico for 10m (new left back) and Lerma for £26m.

They have invested a fair bit in that team, but their recuritment is undoubtbly better. And I think the most important thing is that they have the likes of Francis, Cook, Daniels etc to lead the group and keep everyone levelled.

They have a core of loyal players who have gone up the leagues with them and they have supplimented it well with good young talent. It's similar to what we did in many ways. It will all come crashing down for them sooner rather than later though, as per the natrual course of things.

We only see those fees as high as we won’t spend it. And the little per head we do spend, requires player sales. No other club operates like that consistently, nor do other clubs break FFP.

I thought Bednarek was quite good today and was saying as much when they read out he was being substituted, so I was very surprised by that. Weirdly we probably had more clear chances than Chelsea, despite feeling like there was only one team on the pitch for most of the game. There’s just no feeling in the stadium for the last 18 months, just silence most of the time and I don’t even get that bothered when we lose. Just a bit weird.

He wasn't that good, Hughes was constantly in his ear down by the technical area for slowness in possession, passing backwards or not getting the ball forward quickly enough. He was subbed anyway because of the formation change after HT when we gave up on three at the back and went to 4-4-2. To be fair to Hughes, he called that right as we had had zero attacking threat in the first half; as it happened bringing on Romeu to shore up the middle of the park was a master-stroke, from then on we matched Chelsea in the midfield even if sloppiness cost us a couple of goals later.

Sadly now, we have a combination of a manager who is not very good and a bunch of players who are obviously reasonably good footballers but of limited ability who are not good enough on the ball, in possession, in quickness of thought or in decision making. The gulf in class is simply down to these factors but you have to spend a great deal of money to find the exceptional players at the top of the tree who have these attributes field honed. We saw a few of them in blue shirts yesterday. This is not about fitness, application or energy or being at the top of their game it is about players who possess these attributes instinctively and are able too apply them without apparent effort.

We just don't have players like that.

I watched MOTD last night - at normal speed Hoedt's tackle looked good. On slo mo replay Hoedt didn't touch the ball, just took Giroud's back foot out as he slid through him. So, retrospectively, with the benefits of replays, it should have been a penalty. They didn't show all of the yellow cards on the highlights - like Bertrand's for moving the ball etc.

Most people in the ground saw it as a clean tackle so did the ref and the linesman so that's all there is to say. The decision was made there and then and there is no more to be said. That's why we have refs and linesmen.

Hindsight as always is 20/20 vision and how do we know that the video had't been doctored, in any case it was only from one angle?

Exactly - FFP is a complete red herring for Saints. Since the takeover, we've spent about two million less on transfers than we've made on sales. Beyond that we've also shipped out several of our highest earners and replaced them with players from the Swiss, Scottish and other less remunerative leagues.

TV and sponsorship revenue has increased over the past couple of seasons, player trading is more or less cost-neutral and wages have probably gone down recently relative to the average rise across the league. All adds up to the fact that we could be investing more in the playing squad, but have chosen not to.

Moreover, FFP actually allows clubs to make losses of up to £105m over three seasons as long as the owner is prepared to inject cash to make good the loss (though the allowable losses are smaller if you play in European competitions governed by UEFA). Hence why all the bleating about Bournemouth is probably futile - I doubt they're coming anywhere near touching the FFP caps for either profit & sustainability or short term wage control.

He wasn't that good, Hughes was constantly in his ear down by the technical area for slowness in possession, passing backwards or not getting the ball forward quickly enough. He was subbed anyway because of the formation change after HT when we gave up on three at the back and went to 4-4-2. To be fair to Hughes, he called that right as we had had zero attacking threat in the first half; as it happened bringing on Romeu to shore up the middle of the park was a master-stroke, from then on we matched Chelsea in the midfield even if sloppiness cost us a couple of goals later.

Sadly now, we have a combination of a manager who is not very good and a bunch of players who are obviously reasonably good footballers but of limited ability who are not good enough on the ball, in possession, in quickness of thought or in decision making. The gulf in class is simply down to these factors but you have to spend a great deal of money to find the exceptional players at the top of the tree who have these attributes field honed. We saw a few of them in blue shirts yesterday. This is not about fitness, application or energy or being at the top of their game it is about players who possess these attributes instinctively and are able too apply them without apparent effort.

We just don't have players like that.

Reality. Couldn't agree more.

I was in the Kingsland Block 35, so quite a long way away from the Giroud tackle, but because of where he tackled from and then the way the ball went, it looked like a good tackle. Having seen replays on MOTD I'm still not sure but you win some you lose some.

As for the yellow cards, well I think after Bertie kicked off about his free kick, the ref decided he was going to book as many as he could. Bertram was booked for dissent after arguing where the free kick should be taken from - but he was right, the referee got it wrong. I also didn't think the Lemina challenge should have been a booking, I think it was just a tackle in amongst some tasty play and he thought that was the only way to cull it. A foul maybe, but didn't think it was a booking.

In terms of them fouling us - I didn't really see too much to get upset about - there may have been a couple of instances but in all they were well in control so didn't really need to kick us up in the air.

Chelsea dived "well" which turned a foul into a yellow card. plus Chelsea got away with a couple of off the ball blocks which gave their player receiving the ball plenty of space.

Unfortunately Chelsea passed and moved very well and also got numbers around our attacking players , so a crap match for Saints but good to watch !

Edited by East Kent Saint

I will try to help you if I can. You were watching a Premier league game against a" big club ". Hope that explains how it works.

They don`t give pens because of player reaction do they?

Where did I say they do???

All I am saying is that Hoedt knew it was pen by waving his finger all innocently as soon as he clipped Giroud. Not blaming him …. or Giroud … or the ref who could not see it from the angle he had!

I agree. I have offered a view on here before that there are three categories:

- supporters, who get on the road to watch the team (fully accepting some cant afford to)

- followers, who don’t but want the best for the team

- customers, who believe its the same as any other transaction. They will walk away of the product doesn’t meet their needs and have no more affiliation it seems than one washing powered brand versus another one.

The Premier League, which in many ways is fab, has encouraged a growth in the latter. And of course online there is the mixture of trolls and closet Pompey fans on here for a wind up which taker up disproportionate air time

Exactly correct and what I've been getting increasingly fed up with for some time.

Once upon a time you could actually have sensible debate on here with reasonable respect fir differing views and intelligent analysis.

Now it seems 75% of posters are only interested in slagging off the team, manager, owners etc if they fall short of their real heros - the "big" teams.

You can tell the non-fan trolls and skates by the deafening silence after we do manage a decent result, or attempt to belittle it.

And it's killing this forum the way so many post without having seen a game or even heard a commentary. Just wait for someone to blame the latest scapegoat then pile in.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Their second goal was a disgrace as illegal on two counts, Luiz holding PEH and Barkley yards offside, regardless of passage of play. Two Chelsea players should have been booked, for the tackle on Romeu when he was away and the late high challenge just by the technical area.

I think the first half was telling, inasmuch as Hughes spent most of it yelling to the players to "get up" or "get out". He could see we were too deep and penned in for most of the half. So what was the game plan then ? Either sit deep, defend and break, or press higher and try and stop them playing. He clearly wasn't happy so I would assume the sit deep system was not the plan given to the players. We really didn't engage the Chelsea players until they were 10 yards from our area. So the team either didn't do as instructed (or were incapable), or the plan was sit deep, then Hughes realized it looked too dangerous and tried to change throughout the half.

Having said that second half was much better and despite the humiliating scoreline at least some cause for optimism against lesser teams (of which there are many not as good as Chelsea). I think up front at least the key partnership is Redmond and Ings, who are showing some signs of a good understanding. Gabbi did OK and offers more than Long or Austin (put together !).

Who knows if we had scored first the result may have been a lot different as Chelsea would have felt under pressure ....

Their second goal was a disgrace as illegal on two counts, Luiz holding PEH and Barkley yards offside, regardless of passage of play. Two Chelsea players should have been booked, for the tackle on Romeu when he was away and the late high challenge just by the technical area.
I noted that. Interpretation of the offside law is a mess. How can a player, yards offside, standing in front of the keeper and distracting him, not be interfering with play?

And whist I'm at it, that was the most appalling refereeing performance I've seen in a very long time. Bertrand was booked out of frustration that the ref got the place of the free lick so ridiculously wrong. Thereafter, every Saints foul was a yellow. Most Chelsea fouls ignored, certainly no cards.

Not disputing that the better team won, but it helps confidence when you've got such bias going for you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie