Maybe we need relegation like we needed administration...

alpine_saint

Can anyone genuinely think of a reason to renew their season ticket if we do stay up? The premier league is utterly, utterly rigged and we're just canon fodder for the monied clubs.

Even if we do turn it around and become half decent again how long will it last? A season? Two? And then the same thing will happen, we'll be plucked apart and sink back down.

Make no bones about it as much as there's a rot at the core of Saints it's not just the club that's the cause. This disgusting, corrupt, rigged league is the problem. The money is a cancer in the game and the only fix for that cancer is to cut it out.

Sack off the money clubs, sky and the plastic/overseas "fans" to their "super league" and give us our game back.

Can anyone genuinely think of a reason to renew their season ticket if we do stay up? The premier league is utterly, utterly rigged and we're just canon fodder for the monied clubs.

Even if we do turn it around and become half decent again how long will it last? A season? Two? And then the same thing will happen, we'll be plucked apart and sink back down.

Make no bones about it as much as there's a rot at the core of Saints it's not just the club that's the cause. This disgusting, corrupt, rigged league is the problem. The money is a cancer in the game and the only fix for that cancer is to cut it out.

Sack off the money clubs, sky and the plastic/overseas "fans" to their "super league" and give us our game back.

I know I always say that the current season is my last, but I really think this is, unless we go down. I can't see the point in being in the PL. I am not enjoying going to the games and feel it a bit of a chore. I enjoy the rare times we score, but am ambivalent when we let a goal in. Basically I am bored.

I know I always say that the current season is my last, but I really think this is, unless we go down. I can't see the point in being in the PL. I am not enjoying going to the games and feel it a bit of a chore. I enjoy the rare times we score, but am ambivalent when we let a goal in. Basically I am bored.

Same for me too. The only thing i really enjoy are some of the away days and the cups. The premier league (and going to st mary's especially) is a complete chore.

What used to be one of the highlights of the week, even back when we were really sh*t under Branfoot, is now something i wonder why i do. You turn up to a ground where everyone sits in silence or sings the same f*cking songs that aren't funny, in their over priced replica shirts (not having a pop at Saints for this every premier league ground is the same), to watch a bunch of millionaires try not to lose a game, if you're lucky you might get one or two good ones in that bunch, but when you do they'll be sold because the media, the agents and the rich clubs will force them out.

Then when you get home you have to listen to "pundits" talking about how great the clubs with money are, and how x manager (who's just spent the GDP of a small African country) is a genius for beating the teams they've just asset stripped.

Honestly, as SKD said, what's the f*cking point?

Same for me too. The only thing i really enjoy are some of the away days and the cups. The premier league (and going to st mary's especially) is a complete chore.

What used to be one of the highlights of the week, even back when we were really sh*t under Branfoot, is now something i wonder why i do. You turn up to a ground where everyone sits in silence or sings the same f*cking songs that aren't funny, in their over priced replica shirts (not having a pop at Saints for this every premier league ground is the same), to watch a bunch of millionaires try not to lose a game, if you're lucky you might get one or two good ones in that bunch, but when you do they'll be sold because the media, the agents and the rich clubs will force them out.

Then when you get home you have to listen to "pundits" talking about how great the clubs with money are, and how x manager (who's just spent the GDP of a small African country) is a genius for beating the teams they've just asset stripped.

Yep , how long before a player is bought in the PL for a million..... Liverpool next season when they try and buy the title again

Won't be from us though

Cannot agree more. The sooner this league implodes the better.

Quite.

You can’t tell me we’d be having less fun in the Championship. Even if we were getting battered there at least there would be a few new grounds, proper fans and some of our proper spacktard ‘support’ would disappear. Best thing that ever happened was our relegation to L1 and the cleanse of our middle class idiots. They’re all back again now. Loads of good away days on the beer with at least a chance of winning, as opposed to keeping it down to 3 or 3 against the latest media darlings.

The PL can **** off.

Quite right. It was not that long ago that you could beat anyone in the league and all the big games were fiercely competed and you would be excited about them having a ago. But now it is simply not the case. I had to miss today and surprised myself by not being irritated. I just knew we would be beaten. Very sad but I am not sure how you can change it.

Why would any fan want their club to relegated from the premier league.......utter madeness ! We have no divine right to be in the Premier League and it is getting harder and harder to stay there.....our fook up has been poor poor player recruitment ....last 2 seasons have been shocking ! Feel a bit sorry for Hughes as he has a pretty **** poor squad

I remember all the claims last time we got relegated that it would be good for the club, clear out all the deadwood, rebuild etc etc. The reality is we very nearly ended up going pop and it’s only thanks to Markus and Nicola we are where we are.

Relegation would be a disaster once more, don’t kid ourselves that it would be a good thing.

The sheer amount of tourists that had only turned up to watch Chelsea today was awful. There were a group that walked in at 30 mins didn’t have a clue where their seats were and when they did find their seats, proceeded to get a Chelsea scarf out and drape it round their neck. One of the many reasons I couldn’t give a monkeys if we got relegated, would much rather enjoy going to football again with proper fans and proper teams. Not a bunch of plastics.

The PL would be improved by more relegation slots IMO, even of it means we go down.

More clubs involved in relegation giving fans some value to the season - stagnant PL clubs would suddenly have more competition to stay up - a greater churn of hungry champ clubs coming up - virtually the whole of the champ fighting it out for promotion.

The sterile prem needs a bigger shot of fresh energy every season and an increase in pressure on the lower 75% of clubs to up their game and stop aiming for 17th (us for example).

...in order to get shot of Gao and a crack at an owner who actually cares ?

I guess his business image and reputation wont allow him to retain posession of a football club that loses Premier League status..

Why would someone want to buy this football club in the Championship? I'd imagine any asking price would be sky high given what he 'paid' for 80%

Heard the arguments spouted by MLG and gammon chhecks before admin: they were wrong then and they are total garbage now seeing as admin gave us some of our best years ever...

True but that was just because we got rid of the PLC and fell on our feet with Marcus. Get relegated now and we go from being a Prem club with a sh!t owner to being a skint championship club with a sh!t owner.

Agree 100%. Something needs to change. I doubt it will but the most obvious/likely is the big six ****ing off to some european/international league. Sooner it happens the better, if we were competing against the remainder for the chance to get into a playoff for promotion into said european/international league (and then get inevitably relegated from it in one or two seasons due to the quality being far too high to cope with) it would all be far more fair and level and I'm certain life as a Saints supporter would be far more interesting than it is now. I'm ****ing bored quite frankly.

We don't need relegation and we didn't need admin, It worked out because we we lucky with Marcus and cortese

We won't get so lucky again

Exactly. We were supposed to be self sustaining, but that relied on us buying good players, selling them at a profit and replacing with EQUALLY good players. NOT BARGAIN BASEMENT MISFITS.

Complacency and arrogance set kin about 3 years ago and that is why we are in a mess.

Does anyone expect us to go down and start competing in the market we'll need to compete in? 10-20m is now the going rate for decent NPC level players.

I can't see us competing at that level, which is why we'll continue to drift and dwindle away - occasionally propped up by some academy gems. Without an owner with an ounce of knowhow, interest or ambition, we’re dead. And they’re not getting another penny from me.

Does anyone expect us to go down and start competing in the market we'll need to compete in? 10-20m is now the going rate for decent NPC level players.

I can't see us competing at that level, which is why we'll continue to drift and dwindle away - occasionally propped up by some academy gems. Without an owner with an ounce of knowhow, interest or ambition, we’re dead. And they’re not getting another penny from me.

totally agree. as said, for some absolutely bizarre reason, we have to sell anyone decent to spend £15m+ on a player. That is with premier league riches.

How is that going to work in the Championship?

in 12 months time, pompey will be above us

relegation will be a disaster for Saints.

We have to sell anyone half decent to buy players, whilst in the premier league. Imagine the state of the club without the £120m being in this league brings

This. Unless there's another Markus waiting in the wings, or we somehow bounce back after one season, relegation would mean we would be ****ed.

Agree 100%. Something needs to change. I doubt it will but the most obvious/likely is the big six ****ing off to some european/international league. Sooner it happens the better, if we were competing against the remainder for the chance to get into a playoff for promotion into said european/international league (and then get inevitably relegated from it in one or two seasons due to the quality being far too high to cope with) it would all be far more fair and level and I'm certain life as a Saints supporter would be far more interesting than it is now. I'm ****ing bored quite frankly.

That is never going to happen, all fans like domestic football too much and the big clubs have access to two pots of cash. Why would they walk away from that.

What a fantastic summary of exactly how i also feel about our club and the game.Do you know what i was sitting on the sofa with the wife contemplating going to my first game of the season in october (birthday pressent) and part of me thought

whats the point?...........yes i love the club to bits and theres always another game.She said "how much are the tickets" "£37 i think","thats an awful lot to spend on a team thats rubbish at the moment" and it got me slightly annoyed and reflective.

The profit we as a club made we could have let everyone in for free and still had turnover a £19 million profit.Thats a bloody good lottery win,just to watch over paid (but the going rate) millionaire players swan around with absolutly no ties or connections

to the club or fans,and show they care about the paying public. The big boys and money men have asset stripped most of the deccent players from most emerging clubs to squad fill theirs so they dont get beaten by a player whos inspired that team to play above

themselves for that game or too.But this is distracting me from thinking shall i go to the Newcastle game with the wife and my mate who insidently is a Toon fan paying £20....how absurd ,no wonder why away fans chant more than ours,and they even sing about how much weve spent to watch our team.Crazy ,to think there are fans that think Gao is intrested in spending money on the club,he should be asking board members about the lack of quality recruitment and asking whats happening to

our once reverired academy players or has that one run its course.Do you nkow whats funny im more intrested in my fantasy football teams results than i am ours .Theres an apathy about the whole situation for what ever reason at the moment about the

club that someone needs to reignite the passion and belief to get the fans into generating a good atmosphere once again amongst themselves and feel like the teams ready for thier support again.

But will it happen?...if we get a new man in by November hes still only got the players in the club to play around with or might we have out of favour players chomping at the bit to prove the previous manager wrong...crystal ball time.But please not Big Sam,Moyes maybe?............the saga continues and maybe i will go to the Newcastle game afterall who knows. Rant over enjoy your day whatever it might bring.

The solution to leveling the playing field is simple, but I suspect that the vested interests would not allow it ever to happen. Restrict teams to only 3 or 4 foreign players. The additional upside to that would be that our national team would improve too.

How is it rigged? We had years of doing really well. The premier league is full of poor sides. Any well managed club our size can bring through young players, play good football, score plenty go goals and finish upper mid table. The top 6 are well ahead, but that leaves 26 winnable games and 12 you go and just have a good go at. It was brilliant watching us do just that under Poch and Koeman. We all knew our team, what the roles were and you'd look forward to most games.

The league hasn't changed. Our squad is worse but not THAT much worse. It's just woefully managed. Bournemouth, Watford and Wolves are all doing well. It really wouldn't take much for us to do exactly the same. Get a decent manager and ditch Hoedt and we're back to an 8th/9th club. Stick with Hughes or similar ilk and we'll just follow WBA or Stoke, and deservedly so.

If you can’t understand that premier league is 100% set up for the big 4-6 clubs to succeed at the expense of everyone else then you are even more dense than I thought you were and that is some achievement.

Agree with all of this, yesterday was a dismal advert for the 'best league in the world' and yet another indication of how far we have fallen and how fast. Hughes is getting pelters (rightly, the players aren't fit/aren't motivated/aren't coached to play in any sort of structure or system/can't defend collectively or individually etc etc.). All said and done what was a par score yesterday? 0-2 or 0-3 probably ... exactly what we got!

It was one of the most uncompetitive prem games I've ever seen; Chelsea so superior in every dept, they won easily without really getting out of second gear. We had not one player who would get in their starting 11 (or their match-day 16) and probably not in their 25 listed players either. It was like watching a cross between a one-sided school game, Scottish football or a mismatched cup tie. At least in a cup tie the under-dog usually fights! I'm astonished the number of people who will still pay out to watch a mis-match like this.

Not sure where we go from here? Do we keep chopping and changing or do we go for some semblance of continuity? We seem to be reprising the end of the Lowe era, a squad full of very average players, lots of who are stuck on long expensive contracts. Maybe we will hang on by our fingertips again, maybe we won't; just don't see financially how we will survive relegation, we won't be able to pay the wage bill and we will struggle to off-load players like Forster, Hoedt, Carillo, Davies, etc. Anybody that can go will go, leaving a team of has-beens, never-weres, and kids. Happy days, at least we will get rid of the tourists and the happy clappers but we won't be seeing world-class players at SMS anymore, which for me would be a decent swap!

The solution to leveling the playing field is simple, but I suspect that the vested interests would not allow it ever to happen. Restrict teams to only 3 or 4 foreign players. The additional upside to that would be that our national team would improve too.

I think one of the problems is that we are part of the EU and it would be restriction to trade to stop EU players plying their trade wherever they want. But I agree that we should restrict it, and I also agree that vested interests won't let it happen. TBH we as a club are pretty irrelevant. The owners of the Big 6 make no secret that they don't see the rest as being anything else but an inconvenience to them making more money. They openly meet in London every now and then to have a chat about how they can screw even more money out of things, how to make things even more uneven. It's amusing that Leicester and West Ham join them in some vain hope of making even more money for themselves at the expense of the rest - I guess they are tolerated as the Big 6 need votes (at present) to change things. I think Everton are also with them. The governance of the PL has to be called into question as well.

Couldn't agree more

Agreed.

That’s part of the problem, relegation shouldn’t be a disaster for a football club. It should be part of the natural scheme of things in a sport. However because the PL is now first and foremost big business, it has come to this sad state of affairs.

I think one of the problems is that we are part of the EU and it would be restriction to trade to stop EU players plying their trade wherever they want. But I agree that we should restrict it, and I also agree that vested interests won't let it happen. TBH we as a club are pretty irrelevant. The owners of the Big 6 make no secret that they don't see the rest as being anything else but an inconvenience to them making more money. They openly meet in London every now and then to have a chat about how they can screw even more money out of things, how to make things even more uneven. It's amusing that Leicester and West Ham join them in some vain hope of making even more money for themselves at the expense of the rest - I guess they are tolerated as the Big 6 need votes (at present) to change things. I think Everton are also with them. The governance of the PL has to be called into question as well.

I'd love to see that EU "problem" challenged. The PL - and all other leagues - is a competition. As such it can set it's own rules as to who can participate. There would be nothing to stop clubs employing as many EU nationals as they liked, but if the rules of the competition was that at least, say 8, players on the field at any one time have to be home grown, then clubs would naturally look towards them first.

EU rules also (I believe) bans gender discrimination. FA rules are that men and women can't play in the same team, because that's the rules of their competitions.

Heard the arguments spouted by MLG and gammon chhecks before admin: they were wrong then and they are total garbage now seeing as admin gave us some of our best years ever...

Only because we got very lucky and were picked up by Markus Liebherr and Nicola Cortese. Little likelihood of Admin again, and the chance of getting picked up by someone of their ilk again is close to zero.

...in order to get shot of Gao and a crack at an owner who actually cares ?

I guess his business image and reputation wont allow him to retain posession of a football club that loses Premier League status..

Gao bought us because he wanted to curry favour with the Chinese president, and win local footballing infrastructure projects worth billions. Unfortunately for us the president has done a U turn and moved on from football and stopped money flowing out of China for sports particularly. So F all advantage in Gao owning us. His company is still doing ok with local projects but we bring him little or no advantage (also why investment in Chinese academies by him has stopped). We are small beer to him in the grand scheme of things - loan to buy us is already redistributed to several others, so his loss if we went tits up is small. He will sell at a profit if someone is foolish enough to buy us - several clubs have been on the market for years now (Newcastle, Chelsea etc.) and no one is interested. Otherwise we will just rot and fester and become a very poor club - relegation will just quicken this process, and we won't even be the south coast family friendly club that most feel sorry for!

Its easy to say that when we're ****e, and have a board that don't care about anything but their back pockets....

But I bet you didn't say that under Adkins, Poch or Koeman... In fact, I bet you didn't say that under Cortese before these current charlatans came in...

The problem at this club is the board.

I would take relegation and administration if it was the only way to get rid of them and start again... I despise what they have done to a club that was pushing to be an established European qualification contender.

So shall we go into admin every time things get difficult, is that the master plan? It's good, I've not actually seen any other club in the entire football league do it, but hey ho - pathfinders us Saints.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head for me personally. It's a rubbish league, the top 6 are decades ahead of the the rest. And unless you have very wealthy owner, (Wolves, Everton) who is going to really go for it, then you will at some point end like us. West Ham have spent £100m and are going to be no better off than last year really.

I have accepted that we will go down this year or next, so what the heck is to look forward to? I have become completely disillusioned with it now, there's no enjoyment in watching us and by and large all the 'big games' are fairly naff anyway. 'What is the point' is often a question I ask and still no answer - I just have an annoying emotional tie to Saints that I will never shake off but it's certainly getting easier to care less after another predictable loss.

Going down is a risk, but once we're inevitably gone will we care if we beat Preston or a Watford? Come 5pm I just want my side to win, and winning 5 in 40 games is fa from enjoyable. With the top 6 taking all the riches, does it actually matter what league we're in? None of the rest are going to win anything anyway, just playing for the highest position.

I'm so bored of it all now. Change is welcome, the Saints of old when I was growing up were never great but least they showed heart. These days we just sleepwalk to a loss. Our squad is just a bunch of losers run by a bunch of deluded cowards hiding away in the boardroom. Our existance in this division is utterly pointless and will continue to do so until something drastic happens, which seems unlikely.

Its easy to say that when we're ****e, and have a board that don't care about anything but their back pockets....

But I bet you didn't say that under Adkins, Poch or Koeman... In fact, I bet you didn't say that under Cortese before these current charlatans came in...

The problem at this club is the board.

I would take relegation and administration if it was the only way to get rid of them and start again... I despise what they have done to a club that was pushing to be an established European qualification contender.

If you go back through my posts you’ll find I said exactly that. Plus I’ve never been a fan of Cortese and knew what was going on behind the curtain of the club.

Frankly us being sh*t doesn’t make the slightest bit of difference to my opinion. As I stated in that post I was there under Branfoot and the rest. We were hardly good then but I enjoyed football far more than I do now.

It’s the premier league I hate, not our form (though our form is terrible) or our style (though our style is dull).

The game is basically corrupt at the top level of every major league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk