Modern football

Cabbage_Face

Utter crap isn’t it.

Half players more interested in being instagram stars dabbing to obscure rap music.

Slowly losing its appeal. Leicester winning league worst thing that ever happened, big teams have made sure that never will happen again, same will happen in Scotland if Hearts win this year.

Hughes out?

Back to the beer

Love and light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my stag do I have the choice of Saints v Manchester United or Eastleigh v Dover.

As we want to do something enjoyable and inclusive, it is not even a close choice.

Go abroad chap, can drink in stands and atmosphere 1000 times better. [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303] also costs less

Go abroad chap, can drink in stands and atmosphere 1000 times better. [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303] also costs less

Unfortunately the trip to get there does cost. If we really wanted to go grass roots, Winchester City are also at home that weekend.... And they also have a nice little bar.

Its crap if your team is crap but fantastic if your team is doing well.

Bournemouth fans probably loving modern football just now, as we did 3/4 years ago.

It's enjoyable seeing your team win, but that doesn't mean that modern football and the Premier League is good. When Saints were doing well it was enjoyable, aside from just enjoying the win, because you know how much the big clubs don't want you competing with them, so it's fun putting their noses out of joint. But I wasn't under any illusion that the Premier League was some amazing organisation/competition we should feel lucky to be part of. And that was a few seasons ago, since then it has got worse, the big clubs realising that they can't possibly let the Leicester thing ever happen again.

I find it hard to believe there are fans of any non-top 6 club (and even then, some fans of those clubs see it too) that think there ISN'T a problem with the Premier League to be honest. It's easier to stomach when your team is doing well, but even then - do people not remember how inevitable and depressing it was knowing that any challenge on the big boys was going to be shortlived as they came to take all our best players?

Unlimited and unrestricted spending money from super rich owners, stockpiling players, TV money just going on wages sending them spiralling to ridiculous levels (without quality improving), no reduction in ticket prices, flat atmosphere (flatmosphere?), no hope of achieving anything better than 7th... and most of all the organisation chiefs and all the media having their snouts in the trough and therefore not noticing or caring about these issues because the money keeps flowing in.

Modern football is like it always has been. If you have crap recruitment, manager and players and poor tactics it’s craps however if you recruit well play exciting football it’s awesome.

Unfortunately since Koeman left we are the first one before that we were the second because we have replaced badly.

Certainly, there are many things 'wrong' with modern football, money making the Prem world go round being at the forefront, but I don't think it's a case of the 'good old days' when football grass was always greener. Rewind barely a generation, and you had players getting drunk the night before a match, even playing hungover in many cases, and certainly not putting in the effort that you see today in training/gym work and in terms of looking after themselves with diet and lifestyle choices etc. Even our legend MLT admitted to betting on a Saints match and whacking a ball out of play on purpose at one point. If one of our players did that today for personal gain, 99% of us would say he should never play for Saints again.

Not disagreeing with the OP, as there are plenty of negative things about football today, but there were plenty of things wrong with it in the past, too. This is just the next generation of wrong.

It's actually the same as 2 years ago when we were good and all liked it.

Sorry but that’s not true, Saints being awful just makes it harder to deal with. Even when we were good I didn’t like the Premier League, although in that season under Koeman it did genuinely feel like things were changing - Leicester won the league from Arsenal, having been chased by Tottenham for most of the season. We were 6th and West Ham also had a good season, think they finished 7th?

If Saints were where Bournemouth are now I would be happy because I want us to do as well as possible, but that doesn’t mean I necessarily equate our success with how good ‘modern football’ is.

In a weird way football forums like this are everything that is wrong with modern football. The whining, the sense of entitlement, the tantrums when we're not winning, the desire that the Chairman makes a 'statement of intent' (i didn't even know who the chairman was in the 80's/90's) Don't get me wrong supporting Saint's in the nineties was fairly crap, but supporter forums seems to add another layer of misery...and yet here I am. **** me! I'm the problem!

In a weird way football forums like this are everything that is wrong with modern football. The whining, the sense of entitlement, the tantrums when we're not winning, the desire that the Chairman makes a 'statement of intent' (i didn't even know who the chairman was in the 80's/90's) Don't get me wrong supporting Saint's in the nineties was fairly crap, but supporter forums seems to add another layer of misery...and yet here I am. **** me! I'm the problem!

Aye. All these opinions being voiced is as depressing as the football.

We all pinched ourselves over the L1 rise upwards as we took PL by storm. No it is back to usual and we are buying particularly sh1t players.

Obviously we're all a bit annoyed but the funny thing is that we probably won't even get relegated this season. Huddersfield and Cardiff are definitely the weak links and I'd say Fulham and Newcastle will be below us too. Palace too don't look brilliant, Zaha on his own might just keep them up.

I got mocked last season for saying we wouldn't go down and I'm going to say the same thing now - there are three worse teams than us.

Obviously we're all a bit annoyed but the funny thing is that we probably won't even get relegated this season. Huddersfield and Cardiff are definitely the weak links and I'd say Fulham and Newcastle will be below us too. Palace too don't look brilliant, Zaha on his own might just keep them up.

I got mocked last season for saying we wouldn't go down and I'm going to say the same thing now - there are three worse teams than us.

Thing is we have to play the teams that will be below us. Seeing as we have won something like 5 games in 40 doesn't give me confidence we will do that.

Add to that our record against promoted sides

2018/19 so far

Wolves - loss

2017/18

Newcastle - 1 loss + 1 draw

Brighton - 2 draws

Huddersfield - 2 draws

= 5 points from 18 + 0 wins

2016/17

Hull - lost 1 + draw 1

Boro - win 2

Burnley - win 1 + lost 1

= 10 points from 18 - win 3

= 13 games against promoted sides = 23% win ratio and 30% loss ratio.

Sadly I think by the end of December where we have a brutal run of games we will be in the bottom three. We needed more points from Burnley, Leicester and Brighton at home.

Such a slog these last 2+ years.

Conditioned to think great it’s the weekend and some football, then I see the teamsheet and it’s either uninspiring or clear that players are getting in on reputation alone.

Then the game starts and wait for us to have a real go at the oppo and I wait and wait...

We either, gona goal down and it’s over, showing no real desire to go balls to the wall to get a result. It’s as if the players just go “hey ho, guess we’ve lost this one, maybe we’ll be luckier next week”

Or.

We somehow score and then it’s just pure panic waiting for the inevitable to happen. And it usually does, right at the death when you have just started to believe we might win. We’ll usually miss a guilt edged chance right before or make a horrendous error to leave it on a plate for the oppo. It always leaves me with a “what if”. What if he’d just cleared that or let the keeper take it etc.

There’s really no joy in supporting this club, they’re like a drug addict who just don’t want to get better. The brief highs are interspersed with much longer crushing lows. We’re dying by a thousand cuts, Aston Villa style. Dunno what else to say.

Not totally.

Obviously now when we are doing ****, football is broken. But... Even when we were doing well, the problems were still being talked about. Glass ceiling etc. Same problem, different view. We are in a competition that we have little to no chance of winning. We have little to no chance of qualifying for the top European competition (only 3 non Big 6 clubs have this century). What is the point of being in a competition you cannot win? As for CL, it is a complete irrelevance.

We will finish bottom if current set up continues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think to answer the OP its a lot simpler; the PL now is just so predictable, we all knew as did the team, that we would lose yesterday. So there was no fun or enjoyment in the product as a paying customer, let alone as a committed fan. No wonder so many stayed away. Never been so flat at a home game, don't know if it was the sun in my face all game….

I think wage caps and squad number limitations plus restricted loan deals right across all clubs inc reserve and youth teams would help to level the playing field

The PL don't want a level playing field, in fact they want the complete opposite. As long as the 'big 6' can continue winning everything with their plastic fan bases and Sky can build up games like yesterday that ended up utter dross, then they're happy to let the billions roll in.

I genuinely believe football would be better if the Top 6 all fooked off into a European Super League orgasmafest. In terms of players, there would be no difference, except more will have he chance to compete for medals, which should (I know) motivate them. All of the rest of us teams will still have our players poached, they will all still want to leave if a bigger club comes calling offering mega money, but for those of us left, we will have the chance to compete. There would also be some great teams to come up from the Championship who would add real value and competition to a competitive top league. I don't really see a downside.

And that's our only hope now. Cardiff, yes, Huddersfield, yes. Then choose one from Newcastle, Palace, Southampton - some want to add in Fulham. This is going to be a bumpy ride.

I think things have changed. Last season, the top 4 lost 7 of 112 games to non Big 6 of which 4 of those were no doubt due to Mourinho having a flip out. Shows that there is a pretty big gap between those at the top and the rest.

Been saying this for a while. The league is really poor. It is now getting to the same point as all the other leagues where there are a few teams with all the money and the rest are ****e.

I disagree with the people saying it's because we aren't winning.The dream of every football fan that one day their team might just be the team which does a Leicester is dying by the day.

Man City got 100 points FFs how is that not an indication of how poor the league is?

It was argued Messi couldnt do what he did in the premier league..he could now as these days its the same as La Liga..a handful of tough games then the rest of the season play the cannon fodder.

As for we would be happy if a sugar daddy took us to the champions league? How is that sugar daddy investment working out at Everton? There are very few people with the resources to take one of the also rans and win the league now.

The premier league reaction? Give the top 6 a bigger share of the overseas rights to increase the gap...

When a sugar daddy comes and buys us and we are winning the premiere league and champions league everything will be ok again and everybody will like the premiership then.

I know the point you are making..... As I said, when things are **** as they are now, it is easy to moan. When we finished 6th, we looked at things and said "glass ceiling". The two are pretty much the same thing, just one is more entertaining than the other. As things stand, we will never ever be able to compete with the big boys, even with a sugar daddy. And if things get a bit iffy and the big boys feel threatened, the goal posts will be moved, and they'll bring in a change in the division of TV money.

But even having said that, I look at the industry at the top, and think that it is nothing but greed. Football is a funny old thing. It started off a sport, then it became a sport and business and now it is pure business. Money and the pursuit of ever more is at its heart and when that happens, nothing much good comes of it. People really have no idea how to behave properly. I guess that is to be expected when you are overly nummamorous.

But the PL and all the foreign owners, who want to change things so that they line their pockets even more, would do well to remember that the whole is very much greater than the sum of the parts. I cannot really see a Euro league as the Yanks & Chinese will be upset. Instead I would have thought a world league, maybe even with 2 divisions will be on the cards. I'm sure Shanghai vs Liverpool will be enthralling, but not sure the travelling away support will be accommodated with "20's plenty".

I know the point you are making..... As I said, when things are **** as they are now, it is easy to moan. When we finished 6th, we looked at things and said "glass ceiling". The two are pretty much the same thing, just one is more entertaining than the other. As things stand, we will never ever be able to compete with the big boys, even with a sugar daddy. And if things get a bit iffy and the big boys feel threatened, the goal posts will be moved, and they'll bring in a change in the division of TV money.

But even having said that, I look at the industry at the top, and think that it is nothing but greed. Football is a funny old thing. It started off a sport, then it became a sport and business and now it is pure business. Money and the pursuit of ever more is at its heart and when that happens, nothing much good comes of it. People really have no idea how to behave properly. I guess that is to be expected when you are overly nummamorous.

But the PL and all the foreign owners, who want to change things so that they line their pockets even more, would do well to remember that the whole is very much greater than the sum of the parts. I cannot really see a Euro league as the Yanks & Chinese will be upset. Instead I would have thought a world league, maybe even with 2 divisions will be on the cards. I'm sure Shanghai vs Liverpool will be enthralling, but not sure the travelling away support will be accommodated with "20's plenty".

The thing about a super league is that someone still has to come last....do you think Spurs want to be in a league where they will just be the whipping boys for the teams with far bigger resources?

Pactually they will probably do it just for the money, like teams going into the premier league...it's not with a view to compete, it's just to hang in there and pick up 100m...as you said it's business and nothing to do with sport anymore.

I never heard you say at the start of the season that we would finish 17th?

Certainly, there are many things 'wrong' with modern football, money making the Prem world go round being at the forefront, but I don't think it's a case of the 'good old days' when football grass was always greener. Rewind barely a generation, and you had players getting drunk the night before a match, even playing hungover in many cases, and certainly not putting in the effort that you see today in training/gym work and in terms of looking after themselves with diet and lifestyle choices etc. Even our legend MLT admitted to betting on a Saints match and whacking a ball out of play on purpose at one point. If one of our players did that today for personal gain, 99% of us would say he should never play for Saints again.

Not disagreeing with the OP, as there are plenty of negative things about football today, but there were plenty of things wrong with it in the past, too. This is just the next generation of wrong.

I recall stories of Shilton having to be carried to a taxi from the Malthouse on many friday nights before a home game....

So I get this bull's hit email from the club...."tell us your views". It state "we will first ask you about your matchday or event attendance experience before introducing you to a range of potential improvements." Which launches into a survey.

It starts off with the usual ones, that get asked over and over and over again. Catering. Do I want to eat there blah blah blah. FFS, this gets asked every time. How many games do I go to, pre-season, season etc etc.

So then the real questions turn up - the potential improvements. Basically I get asked whether I would pay £1500 for a Season Ticket Plus, whatever that is. They did explain, but as I have zero interest in spending even more on a ST to watch **** football, I wasn't interested in finding out. Not least as there is no way in hell I would shell out £1500 on a ST. And then to cap it off, they ask about my disposable income and whether it has gone up/down in the past year. I guess they cross that with respondents who are stupid (??) enough to be happy to pay £1500 for a ST.

FFS Saints, there are much more pressing issues at hand then whether you can fleece people for £1500. I suggest you try and retain those that have spend £500-700 first, me included. Do they really think that we are part of the modern phenomena of corporate largess that London, Manchester, Liverpool clubs can tap into? Hell, we can't even sell out most games.

I was surprised by this survey, not that they want to join the big boys by offering super expensive packages, but the timing of it. Are they really that blind to the feeling amongst supporters? Or maybe it is just me!

can align with this sentiment.

I used to never miss the football on tv (live abroad) but now I am watching expecting **** and then turning off or just doing something else.

Its not the results its just that we have no hope.

Thats why I like pre-season as I am an optimist and think this is the year but reality hits home as soon the real season starts.

Really think we need to get away from hughes or the usual managers and try and find the way we want to play (preference poch style) and then find a manager who coaches that truthfully not bull**** to get the job (mopo).

Random shout out for one of my long term favourites for us from the the chile club game days 1 Jorge Sampoli who has now had his break and looking for a new start somewhere.

I genuinely believe football would be better if the Top 6 all fooked off into a European Super League orgasmafest. In terms of players, there would be no difference, except more will have he chance to compete for medals, which should (I know) motivate them. All of the rest of us teams will still have our players poached, they will all still want to leave if a bigger club comes calling offering mega money, but for those of us left, we will have the chance to compete. There would also be some great teams to come up from the Championship who would add real value and competition to a competitive top league. I don't really see a downside.

There is more chance of a closed Perm with no relegation than the teams leaving. There is too much money to be made in the domestic football.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16976508.southampton-could-offer-a-new-type-of-season-ticket/

See the Echo has got onto the ridiculous Season Ticket Plus. business.

the club are ****ing kidding right?

"Our sole aim is to continue to understand the views and expectations of our supporters and identify which potential changes to the St Mary’s experience they would most value and enjoy."

how about ...Oh ...I don't know.... winning some ****ing homes games...that would be a start....

the club are ****ing kidding right?

"Our sole aim is to continue to understand the views and expectations of our supporters and identify which potential changes to the St Mary’s experience they would most value and enjoy."

how about ...Oh ...I don't know.... winning some ****ing homes games...that would be a start....

It's not the winning, it's the taking part....

.......seems to be the boardroom philosophy at the moment.

Aye. All these opinions being voiced is as depressing as the football.

That's why I don't come on here until about Tuesday, as seeing the game live is bad enough. Then you just know the same old names will be dishing up the same points, smugly satisfied about how humorous they are and scoring points off each other. At least I normally get to play on a Sunday, from the bench, and a little bit keeps me happy. So at least I do look forward to weekends, have a quiet Saturday night, pack my kit, clean my boots, check whether the ground has a defibrillator..

Sue, I've always been supportive of the club, but really I think that I have got to my whits end. This seems to be the 3rd season on the trot where we are devoid of much entertainment. So of course opinions are going to be somewhat negative. I see very little at the club at the moment to be positive about. Of course, this is somewhat fickle, as if we suddenly somehow manage to turn things around and get lots of good results, then the entertainment will come with it. I'd really love that to happen, but I am not sure that you will find many people who objectively can see that happening.

I'm not so new to football that I believe Saints should naturally be the "best of the rest", but the Koeman days showed that we could be there or there abouts. It still doesn't address the big flaw in modern football, in that clubs like ours will never fight fill the top spots, will never qualify for the CL. So the rich just keep on getting richer. The gap between them and us getting ever bigger. Sure, Leicester. Brilliant it was.

Sue, I've always been supportive of the club, but really I think that I have got to my whits end. This seems to be the 3rd season on the trot where we are devoid of much entertainment. So of course opinions are going to be somewhat negative. I see very little at the club at the moment to be positive about. Of course, this is somewhat fickle, as if we suddenly somehow manage to turn things around and get lots of good results, then the entertainment will come with it. I'd really love that to happen, but I am not sure that you will find many people who objectively can see that happening.

I'm not so new to football that I believe Saints should naturally be the "best of the rest", but the Koeman days showed that we could be there or there abouts. It still doesn't address the big flaw in modern football, in that clubs like ours will never fight fill the top spots, will never qualify for the CL. So the rich just keep on getting richer. The gap between them and us getting ever bigger. Sure, Leicester. Brilliant it was.

But what about all the good stuff the club does to make your "Match Day Experience" so fun like....lightshows, flamethrowers, loud music, half time relays, a brass band, family days and a new grill bar with 20 quid burgers.

Surely with all this entertainment the football is irrelevant second.....seems to be the view of the club these days.

Actually, while the bloke next to me absolutely hated Brighton, I quite liked it. But then with Chelsea, I thought it pathetic. Need it to be dark to work. A little surprised though that we don't have cheer leaders with pom poms forming a guard of "honor" for the players to run out on to the pitch.

In some respects football now is the same as it was in the 70'sand 80's, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool, now added to by the money at Chelsea and Man City. The problem now is that it is much more unfair on the smaller clubs than it ever was.

CL money on top of the extra TV income, and billionaire owners means that the top 6 can be pretty much untouchable. Even if you get above one of them for a season, they will just spend another £100m to recitify the problem.

What will kill the golden goose is more games like ours on Sunday, or Newcastle v Man City last season, when one team sets itself up to manage the negative goal difference rather than try and attack and win the game.

As always, for all those who don't want it to continue, cancel your Sky/BT subscriptions, and if not, it will just continue as is.

Stopped being a season ticket holder at Saints 2 years ago. Used £200 of the money saved to get a season ticket at my local non-league team. Drinking beer whilst watching, decent burgers, not awful standard of football and chatting to the players in the bar afterwards! Not sure you will ever get me back to a top flight game again!