Modern football

Cabbage_Face

I really want this to happen just so these greedy fckers who know little about the average fan get their comeuppance, Will have so little appeal if they don’t have relegation.

Also boot them out of FA Cup too.

Sadly it won't though will it. It will be a raging success in the likes of China where they just want to see the world's biggest and best players every single week against each other. The traditional fans are really of no consequence in that scenario because they will be replaced by thousands of far east supporters who couldn't point out Manchester on a map but who all have shelled out for a replica shirt.

Sadly it won't though will it. It will be a raging success in the likes of China where they just want to see the world's biggest and best players every single week against each other. The traditional fans are really of no consequence in that scenario because they will be replaced by thousands of far east supporters who couldn't point out Manchester on a map but who all have shelled out for a replica shirt.

I disagree. Will finally have eaten itself. Champs league becomes nothing as well. No USP of any of the leagues.

We will always have football and TBH I don’t get any hard on when playing the Top 6 so not going to miss them.

Wayne Rooney coming out of retirement to get his 120th England Cap in a game in aid of the 'Wayne Rooney Foundation' against the USA seems a move totally in-step with modern football. I actually find it quite difficult to agree with this....but then you're always going to be on the back-foot dismissing it as it's a charity event.

This whole super league sums it all up, 11 teams that cannot be relegated. Utterly pointless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's actually a clever move..it won't be a case of clubs grinding out 0-0s to avoid relegation, it will be a football fest....Harlem globe trotters style where teams can just play out the entertaining games required to please the audience.

You could even see a scenario where the teams win the same number of championships over the period giving the perception of an even league and keeping all the fans from getting despondent because thier team is the one not competing.

I see a flaw in this great plan. Their little league will suffer and two or three teams will dominate the rest. For the very same reason all the current leagues do. Money and the way that no club wants to share it around, but just make as much for themselves (or rather spend it, as I presume FFP will not exist) and to hell with everyone else. Invariably 2 or 3 will be rather more successful at doing it, and will rise to the top. It too will become boring.

I hope that if these clubs decide to go, that they will not be allowed back. They would have to start at the VERY bottom. Northern leagues or whatever. Hackney Marshes on Sunday.

Ultimately though, I don't really mind too much what they do. I ain't enjoying things any more so they can do what they like. I guess thought it is sad that 125 years of footballing history is going to be destroyed by largely foreign owners.

I disagree. Will finally have eaten itself. Champs league becomes nothing as well. No USP of any of the leagues.

We will always have football and TBH I don’t get any hard on when playing the Top 6 so not going to miss them.

Which bit do you disagree with? You think that united vs Barcelona or Liverpool vs Real Madrid won't generate ridiculous levels of interest in Asia and the Middle East? Particularly if they do it like formula one and play the games around the globe. The USP will be the world league itself and all the greatest stars playing in it. The allure will be literally all the world's best footballers playing against each other on a weekly basis. It's a similar thing for franchises like the nfl and playing at Wembley hasn't harmed them at all. They will get loads of interest and make loads of money and they won't give much of a f*ck about the traditional fans.

No I don’t. You sound like one of the ones trying to flog it who has no idea of why football generates interest.

You can’t just put an NFL model in football and it will work. Hype can only go so far.

I could easily be wrong I know but would love to see an empty Old Trafford with no locals showing interest. Utd don’t sell out like they used to. And City rarely do.

If you have chocolate biscuits everyday it no longer becomes a treat.

The problem that this is going to face is the no relegation for some clubs for 20 years. That suggests that some clubs will be promoted and relegated. Relegated to where though? Say an English club (that is eligible for relegation) does finish bottom, where do they go? The PL? Why should the PL take them back? To me the PL should say to these clubs that if they leave to join this Euro competition, then they can't come back. But if they did come back via relegation, what do PL do? Tell one of the Championship boys that they ain't coming up?

No I don’t. You sound like one of the ones trying to flog it who has no idea of why football generates interest.

You can’t just put an NFL model in football and it will work. Hype can only go so far.

I could easily be wrong I know but would love to see an empty Old Trafford with no locals showing interest. Utd don’t sell out like they used to. And City rarely do.

Agreed with everything you said until the last line.

I think this super league could be great for English football but they’d have to get their heads together and put some rules in place if/when it happens.

Unfortunately I can see the likes of Spurs, Everton and West Ham seeing it as their chance to take on the mantle of the big clubs and fill that void. Obviously you always have big & small clubs, no one is wanting that to change, but there would need to be some commitment to a structure/regulations that helped a more competitive environment. A salary cap being the most obvious example.

I don't think you understand why football generates interest abroad. I understand perfectly why football interests me and the majority of Brits just like me but I'm not typical of most of the global audience and neither judging by your replies thus far are you. It's why juventus made so much on shirt sales when they signed Ronaldo. Why you get so so many day trippers from Asia going to watch United without having a clue about the opposition. It's why all Moroccans were arsenal fans when they had Chamakh playing for them etc etc. I think you underestimate how fickle many of those types of fans are. Look at the cult of personality around the likes of Ronaldo and Messi. There are legions of fans who will support whatever team they play for simply because they play for them. Chinese fans aren't going to suddenly lose interest in Barcelona because they are playing against Liverpool, Ac Milan and Juventus every week instead of Santander or some other no mark Spanish team. If this happens then this football will probably be moving towards being more of a franchise type model where the actual location of the teams are much less relevant than the brand itself. Many of the games will not be at Old Trafford, they would most likely be played in the likes of the birds nest or some giant hell hole like Saudi Arabia and they won't have any troubles selling out. Now personally it's not something I ever want to happen and will most likely end my interest in football but if they do go ahead with it, they will pour hundreds of millions if not billions into it, the hype and marketing will be insane and they will have a massive worldwide audience undoubtedly. Do you really think knowing how much finance they all have collectively and who will be backing it that they will allow it to fail? It's obscene but with hindsight I'm sure people will look back and think it's kind of the inevitable next step when all they have really cared about is cash and influence for years.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one but we will see if it ever manages to come out I know where my money is going. Hopefully it never happens.

Edited by hypochondriac

I don't think you understand why football generates interest abroad. I understand perfectly why football generates interest for me and for the majority of Brits just like me but I'm not typical of most of the global audience and neither are you. It's why juventus made so much on shirt sales when they signed Ronaldo. Why you get so so many day trippers from Asia going to watch United without having a clue about the opposition. It's why all Moroccans were arsenal fans when they had Chamakh playing for them etc etc. I think you underestimate how fickle many of those types of fans are. Football is moving towards being more of a franchise type model where the actual location of the teams are much less relevant than the brand itself. Now personally it's not something I ever want to happen and will most likely end my interest in football but if they do go ahead with it, they will pour hundreds of millions if not billions into it, the hype and marketing will be insane and they will have a massive worldwide audience undoubtedly.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one but we will see if it ever manages to come out I know where my money is going.

Yep. The big clubs are owned by foreign owners. 90% of the players are foreign, the majority of the fans are foreign....why would you need to play in England?

Yep. The big clubs are owned by foreign owners. 90% of the players are foreign, the majority of the fans are foreign....why would you need to play in England?
Yep. If they are willing to leave their national leagues for cash then why would they not move the fixtures to wherever will pay them the most money? They will probably play a certain percentage of games at "home" so they can use that as a marketing tool. Maybe they will have a number of neutral games played around the globe in addition to home and away. I still don't know if it will actually happen but make no mistake, if all the clubs want it to then uefa are pretty powerless to stop them and the big clubs have wanted a competition on their terms for years. Why would they be interested in generating a revenue for Uefa with the champions league when they can keep that cash for themselves? Expect to see Arsenal vs Barcelona playing to a packed crowd in the UAE by 2025... Edited by hypochondriac

As a journo in the Express (of all places) wrote not so long ago. "The PL is not English football, it is football played in England." It slightly annoys me that journos, like us, can see the problems yet hardly write too much about it, although it does seem more articles are coming out now. Maybe things have changed, but PL won't. They're too frightened of losing the big teams to a Euro league.

So PL, Serie A, Ligue 1, La Liga, Bundesliga all lose their cherries. What do they do? Carry on with the rest or form Euro leagues of their own?

As a journo in the Express (of all places) wrote not so long ago. "The PL is not English football, it is football played in England." It slightly annoys me that journos, like us, can see the problems yet hardly write too much about it, although it does seem more articles are coming out now. Maybe things have changed, but PL won't. They're too frightened of losing the big teams to a Euro league.

So PL, Serie A, Ligue 1, La Liga, Bundesliga all lose their cherries. What do they do? Carry on with the rest or form Euro leagues of their own?

Same. Oliver Kay has been speaking about it lately though - in response to one of his pieces I tweeted him a summary of those stats you put on here previously!

One of the (few) journos who actually does write about it, our good old "friend" Martin Samuel....... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6356043/If-greedy-pampered-clubs-want-join-super-league-call-bluff.html?offset=52&max=100&jumpTo=comment-364521389&reply=364521389#comment-364521389

IMO, one of his better articles, and pretty spot on.

One of the (few) journos who actually does write about it, our good old "friend" Martin Samuel....... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6356043/If-greedy-pampered-clubs-want-join-super-league-call-bluff.html?offset=52&max=100&jumpTo=comment-364521389&reply=364521389#comment-364521389

His whole argument is based on the idea the super league will fail because is will be boring and uncompetitive although that hasn't done any of the top European leagues any harm so far. Surely the biggest richest clubs all in one league would be more competitive than the current set ups.

Personally I'd be happy to see the cash rich big clubs **** off and use the opportunity to re- structure English football with wage caps, budget caps and re-form the academy system and beef up the homegrown rules.

Personally, I'd love it if they all naffed off.

he is a clown and would end up reporting on super league and drooling over it like his 10,000 calorie breakfast. ***** and a mess.

Personally, I'd love it if they all naffed off.

Yep, we're now starting to see pieces saying how bad it would be and what we need to do to stop it happening.

That's not what I want! I want it to happen, spectacularly fail and never hear of those sickening clubs ever again.

Saints earns 107 million from television, that's 47 million more than the total amount of all the Dutch clubs in the Eredivisie together.

Yet, the game we get to see is utter crap, modern football s*cks

The money hasn't really improved the quaility of the players at the smaller clubs its just seen average players (and their agents) get a lot more money.

The money hasn't really improved the quaility of the players at the smaller clubs its just seen average players (and their agents) get a lot more money.

Disagree. How often were clubs like Saints, Stoke, West Ham etc signing players from Juventus, Barcelona, Inter and Lazio, last time we were in the PL.

A player of Shaqiri’s ability would have no way joint a team like Stoke if it hadn’t been for PL money. Likewise Lemina with us.

That being said, it has also increased the wage of bang average players like Redmond and long getting over 60k a week.

If more money means more expensive players and higher wages but no result, progress or any idea of where it's going on the pitch than the management should be sacked. Better invest a bigger part of the money in staff, scouting and youth academy.

Disagree. How often were clubs like Saints, Stoke, West Ham etc signing players from Juventus, Barcelona, Inter and Lazio, last time we were in the PL.

A player of Shaqiri’s ability would have no way joint a team like Stoke if it hadn’t been for PL money. Likewise Lemina with us.

That being said, it has also increased the wage of bang average players like Redmond and long getting over 60k a week.

And yet when they get to European competition these English teams can't compete...Us West Ham Burnley Everton all crashed in the Europa league against sides on tiny budgets compared to our clubs....if the money is improving the players at the lower clubs why are they all so poor?

That is the problem. Fans think wow he played for Juve and a CL final. I have seen many many better players in Saints midfield. Bloke steals a living many games. Flashes of brilliance. If he was called Keith Sidebottom and signed from Walsall for £800k and played identical performances to Lemina there wouldn’t be a soul who woudl still be giving him a chance.

Wow we have a Euro Champion right back too.