Top three players who made saints better since our PL return.

norwaysaint

We've always had lots of average players. Even when we beat Liverpool 3-1 Do Prado, Hooiveld, Yoshida, Boruc, Ramirez and Cork (who I actually rate) played. Forren, Puncheon, Kelvin and JWP were on the bench. So the differences were in coaching, selection, team spirit and the few players in each team who had more quality.

So who were your top three people who improved us since our PL return? (Doesn't have to be limited to players)

Wanyama - his partnership with Schneiderlin made one of the best CM pairings in the league. They were vital to us performing well which helped attract the future better players.

Mane - great player. Nuff said.

Pelle - the perfect replacement for Lambert. He let us continue to play our 4-3-3 style ("The southampton way")

Not including VVD because we've had a bunch of CB's that did well for us; Fonte, Alderweireld, Lovren; despite him being a top player.

Fonte in his pomp. Brilliant player and leader.

I remember when we beat Swansea at home under Poch. Fox was getting roasted and Lovren was losing his shyt with him.

When Jrod scored and off celebrating, Fonte immediately had the back 4 in a huddle. No doubt taking charge of the situation.

The club did well to make a great player pretty much unliked by many of the fans. It’s what we do so well

The first years back in the PL:

Fonte

Lallana

Lambert

The players who helped take us to 'the next level'

Mane

Wanyama

van Dijk

Fonte is incredibly underrated by Saints fans. He was very influential in our rise. He was our leader on the pitch. He helped lead us to our three top 8 finishes, Portugal to the European Championship and, currently, his Lille team to 2nd place in the French League.

I think I'd go with Schneiderlin, who reached his peak during his time with us in the PL and made our midfield the match of any in the division, which is a very rare thing for a team outside the top 5 or 6. Then Pochettino, who, although not as successful as Koeman, got our team to play like they were contenders.

Finally Lambert, who gave us the feeling that while he was on the pitch, we always stood a chance of scoring. He lifted the spirit of the team so much that most of us even cheered him all the way to Liverpool for his big payday glory moment. He just edges out Mane and Pelle for me.

I'm surprised so many going for Bertrand, who just seemed like a seamless transition from Shaw, who had excited us in that position the season before.

The first years back in the PL:

Fonte

Lallana

Lambert

The players who helped take us to 'the next level'

Mane

Wanyama

van Dijk

Fonte is incredibly underrated by Saints fans. He was very influential in our rise. He was our leader on the pitch. He helped lead us to our three top 8 finishes, Portugal to the European Championship and, currently, his Lille team to 2nd place in the French League.

The experts on here said Fonte was a busted flush... what gives?

I think I'd go with Schneiderlin, who reached his peak during his time with us in the PL and made our midfield the match of any in the division, which is a very rare thing for a team outside the top 5 or 6. Then Pochettino, who, although not as successful as Koeman, got our team to play like they were contenders.

Finally Lambert, who gave us the feeling that while he was on the pitch, we always stood a chance of scoring. He lifted the spirit of the team so much that most of us even cheered him all the way to Liverpool for his big payday glory moment. He just edges out Mane and Pelle for me.

I'm surprised so many going for Bertrand, who just seemed like a seamless transition from Shaw, who had excited us in that position the season before.

Spot on.

The experts on here said Fonte was a busted flush... what gives?

He was starting to struggle when he left. Seemed to lose a yard of pace which will get punished in the premier league. Doesn't take away from the fact that he was a rock in years prior.