Between now and 2019...

Saint Garrett

Might as well just write off the games against the top teams given the fact we don't even try against them...Given we're currently on 5 points...these results will leave us with 15 points come the new year, and that assume's we'll beat both Newcastle and Watford at home which is hugely unlikely given we've won 1 game at St Mary's all 2018....

At what point do we pull the plug on Hughes? If we beat Newcastle and Watford he'll rightly stay, but if we have another poor Dec which we always have then it will be a big decision before the transfer window...you can't help but feel that its going to be between 5 of us, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Newcastle us and Fulham for the 3 relegation positions...

EPL 20-10-2018 Bournemouth (A) - 0 Points - They'll tear our defence to bits

EPL 27-10-2018 Newcastle United (H) - 3 Points - MUST WIN

EPL 04-11-2018 Manchester City (A) - 0 Points - No chance

EPL 10-11-2018 Watford (H) - 3 Points - MUST WIN

EPL 24-11-2018 Fulham (A) - 1 Points - MUST NOT LOSE

EPL 01-12-2018 Manchester United (H) - 0 Points - No chance

EPL 05-12-2018 Tottenham (A) - 0 Points - No chance

EPL 08-12-2018 Cardiff (A) - 1 Points - MUST NOT LOSE

EPL 15-12-2018 Arsenal (H) - 0 Points - No chance

EPL 22-12-2018 Huddersfield (A) - 1 Points - MUST NOT LOSE

EPL 26-12-2018 West Ham (H) - 1 Points - Might nick a point

EPL 29-12-2018 Manchester City (H) - 0 Points - No chance

Looking at that list, we need to WIN these:

You say 10 points. We need all 18 points to cover up getting nothing from the other games. It's desperate - and it's only October!

Looking at that list, we need to WIN these:

You say 10 points. We need all 18 points to cover up getting nothing from the other games. It's desperate - and it's only October!

And winning those 6, seems unlikely given the fact we've only won 6 in the last 12 months....

Which seems unlikely given the fact we've won 6 in 12 months...

DTcM24YWkAQLacH.jpg

Do7_qilXgAEFP6S.jpg:large

EPL 20-10-2018 Bournemouth (A) - 1 point

EPL 27-10-2018 Newcastle United (H) - 3 Points

EPL 04-11-2018 Manchester City (A) - 0 Points

EPL 10-11-2018 Watford (H) - 1 point

EPL 24-11-2018 Fulham (A) - 3 points

EPL 01-12-2018 Manchester United (H) - 1 point

EPL 05-12-2018 Tottenham (A) - 0 Points

EPL 08-12-2018 Cardiff (A) - 3 Points

EPL 15-12-2018 Arsenal (H) - 0 Points

EPL 22-12-2018 Huddersfield (A) - 3 points

EPL 26-12-2018 West Ham (H) - 1 Point

EPL 29-12-2018 Manchester City (H) - 0 Points

We'll only win one of those home games IMO but we do have some favourable away games where we can win. We do better away from home anyway.

The season before last was pretty miserable (the 2nd half at least). The entire of last season didn't get any better and was so much worse, much to everyone’s surprise.

And now this season is so far showing up as being worse than last year. Amazingly. And that will therefore equal relegation pretty easily.

Been checking the stats for 2016/17 and 2017/18. Really depressing. As SaintGarrett shows, we have only won ONE home game in 2018 - Bournemouth.

It was only five home wins in 2017, three last season and two the previous season. No wonder crowds are starting to dip. It's surprising that they have stayed over 30k this long

Its not that long ago that we won 19 home games in a row - second half of League One promotion season and first half of Championship promotion season. In 2011 we won 21 home games in the calendar year. Used to go to SMS expecting a win.

It's going to be a long season. The only consolation is that there are three other terrible sides in the league (Huddersfield, Cardiff, Newcastle). Fulham will pick up. We are playing for 17th place again.

It's worth remembering that the win against Bournemouth was far from comfortable. Only top class saves and woeful scoring attempts towards the end got us the 3 points. I'm beginning to think that St Mary's is jinxed. It's certainly far too comfortable a place for visiting teams to come.

It's worth remembering that the win against Bournemouth was far from comfortable. Only top class saves and woeful scoring attempts towards the end got us the 3 points. I'm beginning to think that St Mary's is jinxed. It's certainly far too comfortable a place for visiting teams to come.

ever since Virgin media began sponsoring us ;) (or the away fans)

Well, if you want to go down that route, it's also worth noting that the home win against WBA would not have happened without a Boufal worldie.

10 points from that lot might be a tad optimistic given our propensity to utterly **** up those “must win” games. You know the kind, the club will talk it up all week, we’ll get the sound bites and training photos/videos and start thinking thecteam we’ll be well and truly up for it. Match starts in tepid fashion, we concede a comical goal and the heads drop.

We will probably be relegated if one of Huddersfield or Newcastle can generate a small bit of momentum.

No way we are getting more than 38 points.

If you offered me 38 points now I'd take it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

At our current PPG (0.63), we will gain less than 24 pts by the end of the season. Something needs to change, or we are going down - no question.

Trying to second guess the club's targets, you'd think we were at least 4 points, or maybe as much as 5/6 points down and it's really early on. Hughes needs to instil some belief, and start getting results otherwise I can see the chop looming before Xmas.

At our current PPG (0.63), we will gain less than 24 pts by the end of the season. Something needs to change, or we are going down - no question.

Trying to second guess the club's targets, you'd think we were at least 4 points, or maybe as much as 5/6 points down and it's really early on. Hughes needs to instil some belief, and start getting results otherwise I can see the chop looming before Xmas.

Agree.

To break it down, lets assume we will get nothing from the remaining 10 games v top 6. Pessimistic but plausable, I know it's a funny old game but .... That leaves 20 games to get at least 30 odd points I reckon, 6 wins and 12 draws say minimum. It's do-able, we only won 7 last season. Our GD may well be worse as we're getting spanked by the big boys which we managed to largely avoid last season (-19 overall compared to -8 already).

I think we can do it, but as many have alluded to, to what end, another struggle the season after ?

As the great Mr Strummer put it, should we stay or should we go....

Are we this year's Sunderland? Villa? WBA?

It's not looking good.

Yup - been coming for a while...

Will be interesting to see how long we wait this time. Whether we've learnt from our mistakes, or believe Hughes will turn it around. If we don't beat either of Newcastle or Watford then he surely has to go, but can see another "Everton" like result from last year where he's almost gone then pulls a result out the bag which buys him a few more months.

Seen Hughes do it many times. The way he talks when it's the big clubs is terrible. Always how difficult it'll be, how unlikely we are to get anything, then sit back and defend. Remember a couple of times he just rested everyone for Stoke and wrote those games off.

I don't expect wins but do expect competing. Even when we've been rubbish in the past, and other clubs, you can still give them a good game at home. You'd expect to beat 1 top 6 side in 12 games each season really, or certainly give a few a good go. Our squad isn't what it was, but it's a hell of a lot better than many in the league. A decent manager could at least have them fired us, organised and ready to cause problems for better sides.

Yet we have to repeatedly watch experienced decent players like Bertrand, Romeu, Cedric, Lemina turn to absolute ****e.

I'm torn really. On one hand it seems like confidence & belief are completely shot, and no matter what tactics or selection the manager makes, as soon as we come under pressure we crumble.

But at the same time, isn't the manager responsible for that too? Especially if you think back to last season when that's one of the things Hughes did manage to instill - we were actually having a go and the players looked like they were digging in to save the season.

Perhaps it's a combination of two factors - 1) there's a lot more urgency at the end of the season than the start and 2) motivation from a manager wears off (although the best ones sustain it for longer). I think back to when Carvalhal went to Swansea and they saw something of a transformation due to all the little changes he made at the club. But when they hit another slump later there was nothing left in the tank.

If the team continue to not pick up a point over the next couple of months I cannot see Hughes surviving. However, if the team bumble along picking up the odd result but nothing to indicate an upward trend, I can see Hughes lasting till the end of the season.

The board have shown the desire to give the manager time even when its apparent its not working. It seems only relegation will bring change unfortunately and it’ll be touch and go again this season.

Watford had a great start but I wouldn’t discount them being in a relegation scrap now they are finding it hard to score.... only if we do pick up results of course.